• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

Hero

I like how some people have changed the narrative from "Capcom is running their business and intellectual properties into the ground." to "Nintendo fans are bitter about Monster Hunter World."

Toxi

Banned
You think peopke won’t be happy and satisfied if Capcom makes an intelligent decision for once?
I mean, Monster Hunter World actually looking like a good game hasn't made those people happy and satisfied.

Hopefully it'll do decently enough and then when the inevitable Switch port/rerelease comes, people will be happy and satisfied.
I like how some people have changed the narrative from "Capcom is running their business and intellectual properties into the ground." to "Nintendo fans are bitter about Monster Hunter World."
I mean, you said you wanted the game to fail, regardless of its quality, just so Capcom has another failure. You're not bitter because you're a Nintendo fan, but you're still hella bitter.

Like if you don't like what you see of Monster Hunter World, I can understand why you'd want it to fail. Because that sends the message you don't want more games like Monster Hunter World. But why tear down good games for mistakes made elsewhere?

noshten

Where are you seeing this? I've overwhelmingly seen the exact opposite. I've also seen people who've been interested in the games for a long time — yet avoided them because they were mostly on handhelds — that are open to trying it now that it's graphically competent on a home console and seemingly features a non-half-assed story along with tons of quality of life changes and intuitive tutorials.

I don't really care about the endless MH debates on M-C or GAF but I will go into a bit more depth of why I don't see any reasons right now to expect MHW being a break out hit in the West. Obviously this discussion is being done well before any reviews, content roadmaps or impressions so it's by all means tentative. Things can change a lot until release, but at the current time outside of enthusiast forums MHW is but a blip on the 3rd Party Roadmap.

Lets look at the positives:
- very few similar games in this genre
- very good looking over-world
- a major upgrade compared to prior entries
- utilizing the full capability of PS4/Xbox
- upgrade in terms of online functionality
- possibly a great online co-op experience
- few titles announced competing with it during January

Despite these positives outside of E3 trailers MHW doesn't have much presence on youtube. In terms of Google Trends it's trending similarly to RE7 pre-release. There is a lot of roadblocks for it to overcome and the major one is that we don't know what to expect as far as DLC/Season Pass roadmap and microtransactions - these two things can kill hype for a game.
Currently MH is niche game in the West, in a niche genre, this will need to be overcome. But the question is whether any type of growth will be enough to offset the loss of portable Japanese sales.

We've seen that post new year launches of games has worked out for Sony with Nier, Nioh all finding their market and being extremely successful in the last year. The problem for Capcom is that they need their game to perform better than the above mentioned games. With PC version not even having a release date and a highly competitive market that has seen Ubisoft also work around post NY schedule - we don't really know if MHW will gain the space needed post release to grow the franchise westward.

In the end it's a risky en-devour that can pay off but it's definitely high stakes. I believe I'd feel a lot better about MHW's chances if the PC release was during the same month because I think the game has potential to find a bigger audience on PC and would be more profitable there.

Aters

I think both are true. Capcom is doing quite bad, but there are some bitter Nintendo fans in this thread.

notaskwid

Good on Pokken.

Capcpom stay losing. I kind of hope World bombs just to add to their list of failures and hopefully someone will wake the hell up over there.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Its def. weird - as if a bunch of other Capcom releases this gen havent been underperforming and their output of new titles has been disappointing. Im also grateful for how awesome MHW looks and hope it performs well...but overall they put themselves in a bad situation this gen.

When pretty much all Capcom Fighters are under performing and selling worse than its direct competitors and predecessors you gotta ask some questions.

Because the two aren't exclusive? There's absolutely Nintendo fans bitter about MHW. And Capcom is doing a poor job.

Hell, with something like FFXV, you can find success and people still get angry as hell af that because of how childish they are. People are fking weird.

Hero

I think both are true. Capcom is doing quite bad, but there are some bitter Nintendo fans in this thread.

Are there?

I mean, Monster Hunter World actually looking like a good game hasn't made those people happy and satisfied.

Hopefully it'll do decently enough and then when the inevitable Switch port/rerelease comes, people will be happy and satisfied.

I mean, you said you wanted the game to fail, regardless of its quality, just so Capcom has another failure. You're not bitter because you're a Nintendo fan, but you're still hella bitter.

As someone that has been a Capcom fan since the NES days, having them fail at everything is the quickest way to get change implemented at the company since they will be pissing off investors at that point.

What makes you think they’ll get anywhere close to 2.5-3m?

Not going waste a ton of time to regurgitate last weeks arguments. In summary, 3DS was weak at selling third party software in the West. They are expanding to better systems in trrms of software sales and a much larger userbase. They have made a lot of streamlining changes. Marketing seems to be on point. Capcons aggressive sales strategy will help push units.

No real reason to believe they wont be able to push an extra million units especially with PC in the mix.

If total sales are 4 million that means going from 5miillion sales worldwide with MH4U to 4million sales, that would not be enough to offset the huge production increase. As bad as SFV turned out to be, it at least was not a drastic increase in budget which means the DLC model could offset the loss in sales from SFIV. I don't think you can say the same with MHW if it sells 1 million units less than the prior entry.

MH4U shipped 4.1 million, not 5 million. Check your numbers

Why would Capcom bother going DLC when their current model is to sell the same game again to 80% of the fanbase at full price in about the same turnaround as your average AAA season pass? Going DLC heavy doesn't guarantee an up turn in profit when they've already got a mechanism for double dipping in place.

They aren't going to get away with a full price expansion model on consoles without offering the expansion for cheaper as a DL. But a good DLC model will def help them offset some losses and the base game has a lot of ability yo be expanded through DLC and cosmetics.

4m worldwide would probably be an okay result but it wouldn't represent an audience expansion. A good monetisation strategy would help certainly.

They want to grow the game in the West though. That's the main thing. Personally, I think the main issues here are no MHW on Switch. Could have had the best of both worlds (hehe). But as of now it is what it is. They will certainly release a MH game on Switch. Question is how they handle concurrent brands.

Capcom is kinda mad shit so I expect poorly but we'll see.

Just to address this since I'm mad critical of Capcom and mad bitter in general, I'm pretty pissed off with the way the series is handled in general. But mainly I really did not want to buy a 3DS and only did so to play Monster Hunter. As in the only 2 games I own for mine are MH4U and MHG. I've bought the last 4 monster hunter games, Tri, 3U, 4U and Generations. Not localizing XX to push World is a huge slap in the face. I'm no longer willing to spend full price on these games being massive time sinks Capcom acts mad shitty about releases and localizations. The existance of MHW does not bother me, I was ready to buy a PS4 and the game immediately. But no XX for the West basically says that Capcom doesn't give a shit about the people who actually support the series despite how shitty they are. I'm not in to buy Vanilla versions of this series to get fucked and I'm not giving them $80 for games.

I'm more a fed up MH fan than really caring about the series leaving Nintendo given that I dont actually like the handhelds the series has been on.

Are there?

As someone that has been a Capcom fan since the NES days, having them fail at everything is the quickest way to get change implemented at the company since they will be pissing off investors at that point.

🤔🤔🤔

Fiendcode

Because the two aren't exclusive? There's absolutely Nintendo fans bitter about MHW. And Capcom is doing a poor job.

Hell, with something like FFXV, you can find success and people still get angry as hell because of how childish they are.
I think the problem here is some handwaving away any criticism of MHW from a business perspective as simple console wars. There's some of that for sure but MHW's risky approach doesn't strike me as all that dissimilar from what we went through with RE7 although the contentions themselves are different. Whoever said the quaility of these games almost doesn't matter isn't far off the mark, that's not the issue with how Capcom's handling their two biggest IPs.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine a hypothetical MHW Switch port being a straight port. Would it come including the DLC map up to that point? What stopped Capcom from announcing the Switch version in similar circumstance to the PC version I'm waiting on that has no release date defined?

Also at this point, Capcom has two IPs they haven't ruined yet: MH and RE. I wonder if they will attempt to bring some older IPs out of the chest and retire Street Fighter, Marvel vs, etc.

Oregano

They want to grow the game in the West though. That's the main thing. Personally, I think the main issues here are no MHW on Switch. Could have had the best of both worlds (hehe). But as of now it is what it is. They will certainly release a MH game on Switch. Question is how they handle concurrent brands.

Capcom is kinda mad shit so I expect poorly but we'll see.

Yup, that's the crux of it all.

Capcom should be applauded for finally going all out with Monster Hunter and taking the risk, instead of being demonized because they didn't compromise the game for shitacular Nintendo hardware again. From a player's perspective, there's absolutely no reason to be upset that Capcom provides the best possible gaming experience. Other than one specific reason, for which "sales concern" is at best a farce.

Toxi

Banned
Capcom are already failing hard enough at the stuff they're doing wrong (See Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and the complete failure to take advantage of the Switch boom). That sends a message to investors already.

On the other hand, what message does it send when Capcom fails when they're doing something right?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not convinced Capcom currently plans to release whatever switch MH games they have planned in the west. Nothing about how they'be handled world strikes me like they do. Which is another problem in itself.

Capcom should be applauded for finally going all out with Monster Hunter and taking the risk, instead of being demonized because they didn't compromise the game for shitacular Nintendo hardware again. From a player's perspective, there's absolutely no reason to be upset that Capcom provides the best possible gaming experience. Other than one specific reason, for which "sales concern" is at best a farce.

Nintendo's shitacular hardware?

Zedark

lol

Eh that's subjective. Local coop and portability is gone so that makes it objectively worse for many.

Toxi

Banned
I was wrong about MH4U. For some reason, I was thinking it sold 5mil+ and MHX/MH Generations sold less. However, it looks like MHX/Generations sold 5.87 million worldwide which actually makes the situation for MHW worse.
Uh, what? Generations is listed at 4.2 million sales on Capcom's platinum titles page.

Portable 3rd is the highest selling game in the series at 4.9 million.

Hero

Capcom are already failing hard enough at the stuff they're doing wrong (See Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and the complete failure to take advantage of the Switch boom). That sends a message to investors already.

On the other hand, what message does it send when Capcom fails when they're doing something right?

Right, your first two points I've already made comments on in this tread and previous threads. Capcom is failing spectacularly all around.

The way MH/MHW is being handled isn't right, at least not from a business perspective, but people will just see my avatar and associate me with a bitter Nintendo fanboy, even though I don't play nor care about the games.

Fiendcode

I was wrong about MH4U. For some reason, I was thinking it sold 5mil+ and MHX/MH Generations sold less. However, it looks like MHX/Generations sold 5.87 million worldwide which actually makes the situation for MHW worse.
MHX/Gen sold 4.2m globally.

Growth from 5.6m should really be the goal with World though since that's how the 1st 4th gen installments performed globally (4.1m MH4 Japan, 1.5m MH4U west).

cw_sasuke

Demonized ? lol...you realize this is a sales thread right ?
So because MHW looks good we cant comment on Capcoms console and mobile games that are under performing putting them in a bad spot ?

We had this discussion even when Capcom was selling 3-4m MH games on 3DS per year. This wont stop, especially on a week when McV debuts like this.

Mokujin

R-367739-1258474651.jpeg.jpg

Fiendcode

Speaking of bitter.

Alrus

Please keep your awful trolling to threads that have nothing to do with sales like you usually do.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Uh, what? Generations is listed at 4.2 million units on Capcom's platinum titles page.

Portable 3rd is the highest selling game in the series at 4.9 million.
Truth by told like all games on that platinum list they don't include best price versions of releases so you'd have to add then on to get the total but it should be in that ball park.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

This.
Can't believe that people is arguing about their choice from a commercial perspective!
How dare they?
Finally a MH game that can clearly shit on the latest 3D Zelda installment

Frankly since the West got MH4U as our MH4 it's misleading to say MH cant pass the low 4m barrier. MH4U West + MH4 Japan is really what an expansion of total userbase would look like. Which is about 5.6m units.

Frankly since the West got MH4U as our MH4 it's misleading to say MH cant pass the low 4m barrier. MH4U West + MH4 Japan is really what an expansion of total userbase would look like. Which is about 5.6m units.

Yea.The question is do they replace the G version with an ongoing DLC model or not. The G series ( up to MHXX ) typically doubled sales.

One thing is for sure, Capcom was smart not to call Monster Hunter World , MH5.

I'm just wondering if Capcom's audience has just moved to the Switch, hence the superior USF2 sales on Switch over MvCI on PS4 (which has a bigger install base).

Yea.The question is do they replace the G version with an ongoing DLC model or not. The G series ( up to MHXX ) typically doubled sales.

Probably just do both. Offer G expansion as a $30 digital upgrade. Release an ultimate version with all the content up to the G expansion.

I personally think they are dumb splitting up the brand. No matter what they should have pushed a Switch version of World. I dont think they have the tact to handle concurrent brands. Proof? Look at XX.

Whenever Vanilla MH Switch comes out there is no reason to believe Capcom will localize it which is just the crux of why they suck and this is a bad idea in the first place.

Toxi

Banned
Right, your first two points I've already made comments on in this tread and previous threads. Capcom is failing spectacularly all around.

The way MH/MHW is being handled isn't right, at least not from a business perspective, but people will just see my avatar and associate me with a bitter Nintendo fanboy, even though I don't play nor care about the games.
Oh. Well there it is.

If Monster Hunter's not your jam, that's okay, but it'd be nice if you didn't throw it under the bus with the rest of Capcom's trash.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

I feel like a G expansion disc by itself would cause a mess like UMvC3, unless they release an expansion DLC alongside it or something. Though the PC version might be better served having dlc included if it launches late enough (though that probably won't happen).

cw_sasuke

On this page someone is wishing for Capcom's failure.

Thats one comment...yet many people including you are acting as if Capcoms performance issues is only being brought up by bitter fanboys. Which doesnt make much sense since the discussions already started when their first mobile initiatives were failing...

As said before - you can criticize some of Capcoms decisions without being a bitter Nintendo fanboy. Their games just arent meeting the expectations right now, so they will be called out.

I'm definitely not a Nintendo fanboy but yeah, it's pretty clear how Capcom sabotaged their own game. And no, Switch wouldn't make things better, Nintendo surely isn't strong in UK while PS4 is by much and even then MvsC bombed over there.

Top Bottom