• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

Laplasakos

When the US is probably the country where the PS4 version can debut over 10k it's not exactly a high bar. Also Switch owners are starved for games so tons and tons of games are selling incredibly well on it.

Releasing on Switch doesn't mean instant success. We have recent examples from Japan...

Mory Dunz

I'm down for some MH on my laptop at least. Maybe

https://www.dualshockers.com/sword-art-online-fatal-bullet-switch-xbox-one/

Bamco is saying they'll port over SAO FB to Switch if there's fan demand just like DBFZ.

I don't understand why they can't port those over. Those games will definitely sell better on Switch than Xbox One.

What's Dragon Ball's usual split on Xbox?
I really doubt Switch would automatically sell better.

It only launched at 70k when wii u was at about 3 million, 50k is great for a port

Not to mention Pokken Deluxe is a POS. Real talk.
Still not pleased with how this franchise has been handled. Sold decently for what it is in the end.

Toxi

Banned
Because you have to do the vanilla content anyway so its not like you can get around it either way. You can just buy Vanilla and trade it in when the expansion is announced. You don't lose anything money wise that way since the 3DS games hold their value.

Further more why are you framing actually supporting the release as a bad thing?
Generations would immediately lose its value the moment XX was localized. Because everyone wants the newer version.

That's generally why people get pissed off when Capcom pulls this shit.
The main thing your saying is "now you know not to buy the Vanilla game in good faith".

Yeah I know now clearly, fuck me though obviosuly.
If you don't want to play just the vanilla content, yeah, definitely don't buy the vanilla game in good faith. There's no guarantee the G-rank release will even come out on a system you own (see 3 ultimate).

Generations would immediately lose its value the moment XX was localized. Because everyone wants the newer version.

You think Gamestop updates trade in prices that fast? Because I would need hours to trade in the game.

That said, you're really just purposely avoiding the point of why I'm mad.

When the US is probably the country where the PS4 version can debut over 10k it's not exactly a high bar. Also Switch owners are starved for games so tons and tons of games are selling incredibly well on it.

Switch owners starved for games but tons and tons are selling well?

This post makes my fucking head hurt.

Pokken DX performed pretty well. Really seems like ports of well received games can find success on Switch (MK8D, DB Xenoverse 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris and now Pokken being good examples).

Switch having a decent hold but I expected a boost this week. Maybe we’ll see more for FEW but if not then it seems like they’re stockpiling for Odyssey. At least Splatoon, MK and Zelda are showing nice legs.

MvC:I bombed super hard. I was expecting ~20k, not even worse than USF2. There’s no way this game even reaches half of Capcom’s projection.

And the “starved for games” rhetoric makes no sense. With that logic, why did so many Wii U games bomb?

Busaiku

I wouldn't really call Xenoverse 2 a success.
It's debut was okish, and it never held up.
It performed terribly in the UK too.

MoonFrog

I don't see how looking at MH sales, seeing they are heavily-Japan leading, seeing that PS4 sales in Japan are poor, and noting, moreover, that Japan historically has had a bias in favor of portable entries is farce.

This is a Japanese market sales thread. If you have a problem with looking at basic facts on the ground of that market and would rather talk about how MHW is a wonderful and bold decision from Capcom: why talk about it here?

You are going to get comments stating the obvious: Capcom is putting a lot of money into making MH5 in a way that is fundamentally against the nature of its core market. Perhaps that pays off for them in the future. Perhaps they get significantly better western market in numbers and/or monetization. Perhaps they can mitigate Japanese losses by using these assets in a portable game. None of these things need happen.

But that doesn't change that they are, at least temporarily, undercutting their profit-maker at a time where everything else they are doing is also failing by either their estimation or any estimation. They're doing something risky, with potential, sure, but also a certain cost, at a time they can't afford to lose much.

Also, I think the highest guess for MHW I saw in here was 1.9 million in Japan. Everyone in here thinks they are in for major losses in Japan. Everyone.

This isn't some Nintendo fanboy hope for failure. This is common sense.

It sold out at launch with about a third of the original release’s FW sales. It hasn’t held up because they didn’t ship additional copies yet (as far as I know).

It didn't hold up because there were nationwide shortages, I believe. I think new shipments were expected at the end of September.

Zedark

It was sold out after launch, Bamco came out and said next restock wouldn't happen until the end of september (29th?). It sold as much as it could, and its lacking legs are due to lacking supply.

It was sold out after launch, Bamco came out and said next restock wouldn't happen until the end of september (29th?). It sold as much as it could, and its lacking legs are due to lacking supply.

Yep. And it looks like the game is sold out on Amazon US as well, so it’s clear that Bamco underestimated the demand for this title.

Fiendcode

Are you sure? Do we have any numbers? I remember some Switch games opening low and disappearing after some weeks in the PAL charts.
Sure, we have actual figures, relative rankings or general comments on sales for a bunch of games like Bomberman, Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Fever, USF2, Sonic Mania, Namco Museum, the ACA Neo Geo line and a TON of indies that show global success on Switch. What we really don't have though are any solid indications yet of global failure for a game.

That's all sort of beside the point though, all it shows is games do relatively well on Switch generally. My point wasn't that MVCI would even do well on Switch, just that it could probably outperform the game's astronomically low PS4 sales and not just it's even lower Xbox One sales. And I joked earlier but I do suspect even premium priced Switch ports of MVC2 and UMVC3 might also sell better. Heck they might even sell better on PS4 and XB1, and possibly did?

Toxi

Banned
You think Gamestop updates trade in prices that fast? Because I would need hours to trade in the game.

That said, you're really just purposely avoiding the point of why I'm mad.
I understand why you're mad at XX not being localized.

I just think that if you don't like the vanilla version, you really shouldn't even bother until the G-rank version.

Like you're saying sardonically "Should I stop having good faith in buying the vanilla version" and... Yeah, you should. This is a problem Capcom has had for years with their G-rank games. If you owned Tri for the Wii, you were shit out of luck when 3 Ultimate came out.

Switch owners starved for games but tons and tons are selling well?

This post makes my fucking head hurt.
The post doesn't make sense, but the idea does. New successful consoles have a smaller number and variety of games, so there's less competition and everything sells better relative to the number of hardware.

Oregano

Xenoverse 2 didn't exactly do badly in Japan even if you ignore the fact it's sold out. It's a year late, full priced port that doesn't bundle the DLC in and it managed to add a decent chunk to total sales for the game.

What was the LTD for Xenoverse 2 on PS4 and XBO?

If the Switch versions adds another 25% of those sales a year later that's pretty good.

MvC:I is too dam high!

all they had to do was update MvC2 with the ability to slide in more DLC

demand a deal be made or the game won't as it wouldn't be worth the time making it

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You know Switch software is selling great when Xenoverse sales in the UK have to be brought up as an counter example. Not even hating but thats how it is.

Nintendo has a difficult enough time to get their first party games charting there - but on Switch we suddenly expect a title that has been out for over a year on all other plattforms and on sale a bunch of times to show up - same week as Pokken and MvCI.

Regiruler

Eh, at this point, it just needs to be massively profitable. 400k for USFII was enough to be noteworthy and it had a brand new mode which means it took more effort than porting Okami. If it can get 100k-200k, it'd probably be a nice chunk of profit for Capcom.
DMC4SE only got... what, 50k? And that was with new features.

Okami had a digital release on PS3, I don't expect another remaster to do jack squat.

random25

Xenoverse 2 on the Switch was already doing above Bamco's expectations (in Japan) and already promised restocking retail units later so I don't know how can anybody call it under-performing.

Toxi

Banned
I don't see how looking at MH sales, seeing they are heavily-Japan leading, seeing that PS4 sales in Japan are poor, and noting, moreover, that Japan historically has had a bias in favor of portable entries is farce.

This is a Japanese market sales thread. If you have a problem with looking at basic facts on the ground of that market and would rather talk about how MHW is a wonderful and bold decision from Capcom: why talk about it here?
This topic only started with Hero's post about how they hoped Monster Hunter World would fail because it would stick it to Capcom.

There's a difference between that and realistic predictions about its performance.

Balb

The post doesn't make sense, but the idea does. New successful consoles have a smaller number and variety of games, so there's less competition and everything sells better relative to the number of hardware.

Either way, this wasn't happening on the Wii U. Games not made by Nintendo didn't sell, with very few exceptions. Bodes well for the Switch, regardless.

I understand why you're mad at XX not being localized.

I just think that if you don't like the vanilla version, you really shouldn't even bother until the G-rank version.

Like you're saying sardonically "Should I stop having good faith in buying the vanilla version" and... Yeah, you should. This is a problem Capcom has had for years with their G-rank games.

We always got the G rank versions though :/

Anyway, I'm pretty much out for this franchise until I can find it used for $20 and all the content is out because I dont like how it's handled. And these games are not like 10 hours. You have to invest lots of time before you can even really do shit.

The main point I was making is I dont really care that MH left Nintendo. I care that Capcom just doesn't give a fuck about the people that actually buy the games.

Edit: If you owned Tri for the Wii, you were shit out of luck when 3 Ultimate came out.

I was mad about this one too. Legit wtf Capcom.

Laplasakos

Sure, we have actual figures, relative rankings or general comments on sales for a bunch of games like Bomberman, Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Fever, USF2, Sonic Mania, Namco Museum, the ACA Neo Geo line and a TON of indies that show global success on Switch. What we really don't have though are any solid indications yet of global failure for a game.

I am aware of the bolded but not for the rest. Not that i doubt it but what numbers are we talking about since it seems you know. More than 500k or 1m? Not that these numbers are the success bar or anything but when you say '' global success'' anything less would be disappointing.

That's all sort of beside the point though, all it shows is games do relatively well on Switch generally. My point wasn't that MVCI would even do well on Switch, just that it could probably outperform the game's astronomically low PS4 sales and not just it's even lower Xbox One sales. And I joked earlier but I do suspect even premium priced Switch ports of MVC2 and UMVC3 might also sell better. Heck they might even sell better on PS4 and XB1, and possibly did?

I disagree. Can't see how a Switch version would have sold better than the PS4 and XB1 versions. Plus there is PC too.

I am aware of the bolded but not for the rest. Not that i doubt it but what numbers are we talking about since it seems you know. More than 500k or 1m? Not that these numbers are the success bar or anything but when you say '' global success'' anything less would be disappointing.

I disagree. Can't see how a Switch version would have sold better than the PS4 and XB1 versions. Plus there is PC too.

Puyo puyo charted a lot higher than the ps4 version despite being close to twice the price in the uk

Fiendcode

MHXX, NoA2, DQH

Xenoverse 2 didn't do so great either and despite it was out of stock it's no where to be seen now. Hard to believe that Namco couldn't prepare more than 4k, so in the end it underperformed.
I'd argue against DQH. 50k is what basically all system launch Musou sell, and this one (er, two) was priced incredibly high. SE was obviously pleased since they're greenlighting other ancient DQ ports like Builders 1. MHXX is still selling but I'd agree it underperformed, although understandably why and not due to the platform exactly.

NOA2 I can't argue but it also tanked everywhere (big bomba vs expectations was really the Vita version). Also I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled a D5C and led on Switch in western sales.

Xenoverse 2 is still supply constrained too. You're too quick to say it underperformed there.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'd argue against DQH. 50k is what basically all system launch Musou sell, and this one (er, two) was priced incredibly high. SE was obviously pleased since they're greenlighting other ancient DQ ports like Builders 1. MHXX is still selling but I'd agree it underperformed, although understandably why and not due to the platform exactly.

NOA2 I can't argue but it also tanked everywhere (big bomba vs expectations was really the Vita version). Also I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled a D5C and led on Switch in western sales.

Xenoverse 2 is still supply constrained too. You're too quick to say it underperformed there.
MHXX Switch did everything except underperforming. The only one that underperformed with this title was Capcom. In the end it will sell far more than what it deserves.

MoonFrog

This topic only started with Hero's post about how they hoped Monster Hunter World would fail because it would stick it to Capcom.

There's a difference between that and realistic predictions about its performance.
Then I should've read further back.

I was responding to the spieler eins post. Which, idk where that is now. Should've quoted if I was going to take that long to type.

MHXX, NoA2, DQH

Xenoverse 2 didn't do so great either and despite it was out of stock it's no where to be seen now. Hard to believe that Namco couldn't prepare more than 4k, so in the end it underperformed.

MHXX is not an underperformance. It's selling about as well as you can expect for how poorly it was handled. I think the opening was a little low but the legs look fine and retailers expect it to have a long tail. We are entering holiday season as well. Doesn't look like it's going to have a hard time crossing 200k.

NoA2 I'm not even going to humour you with a response to this.

DQH is not a big underpeformance imo but based on discussion we had a few weeks previous you expected 80-100k. I'm not going to sweat 20k off of an expensive collection of ports at launch. Here I think there was some potential for better sales though.

Xenoverse 2 had stock problems. Its sales potential was gone at that point. It's the type of release that if you cant fix the stock issue in the first 2 weeks it's over for your LTD potential. If you really think what will be 30k is an underperformance I can only shrug my shoulders cause I think it's ridiculous. If the publisher fails on their end to restock and you blame it on the system . . .

I think we have one legit underperformer on Switch and that's DQH1+2. 1 game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Wait
The neo geo line should sell 1 million to be successfull and not a disappointment?
Uuuh

Laplasakos

Puyo puyo charted a lot higher than the ps4 version despite being close to twice the price in the uk

Just because Puyo Puyo charted higher, this mean that every multiplatform game will debut higher on Switch compared to PS4? I guess Fifa 18 will debut higher on Switch too then.

wrowa

Are you seriously saying 500k to 1m is the bar for games like Puyo Puyo, Namco Museum and some NeoGeo ROMs to be considered a success? I’d agree that those are some really niche games to use as a bar for the health of Switch’s library (on the other hand, it also shows the sorry state of 3rd party retail games), but expecting those games to sell your numbers is ridiculous.

Laplasakos

Wait
The neo geo line should sell 1 million to be successfull and not a disappointment?
Uuuh

Not at all. It could be near 500k and still would have sell good. But not ''global success' ' as he said.

Have you ever heard global success lower than 500k?

We spent so much time talking about MHXX I'm surprised people still want to argue it underperformed. Isn't the recurrent MH discussion exactly centered around how badly the franchise is handled?

Can't wait for every "concerned sales Gafer" who has been banging on about why supporting PS4 "for the west" makes a lot of sense to do the same thought experiments for Switch !

Not at all. It could be near 500k and still would have sell good. But not ''global success' ' as he said.

Have you ever heard global success lower than 500k?

A success is defined by how the title sells relative to the publisher's expectations. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I put out a game and it sells 5,000 copies you can bet your ass I'd be screaming from the rooftops about how successful it is. 500 copies even.

wrowa

Have you ever heard global success lower than 500k-1m?

Yes? “Global success” is obviously meant relative to the expectations for the kind of game. There’s no hard bar for that. 1m would be horrible for Call of Duty, it would be mind-blowingly good for Namco Museum.

Toxi

Banned
Can't wait for every "concerned sales Gafer" who has been banging on about porting games to PS4 "for the west" over the last couple of years to do the same thought experiments for Switch !
90% of the discussion for these threads has been about how more stuff should be ported to the Switch.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Are you seriously saying 500k to 1m is the bar for games like Puyo Puyo, Namco Museum and some NeoGeo ROMs to be considered a success? I’d agree that those are some really niche games to use as a bar for the health of Switch’s library (on the other hand, it also shows the sorry state of 3rd party retail games), but expecting those games to sell your numbers is ridiculous.

Why not, 300k was the barrier of success for a DS game in Japan.

Top Bottom