• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But a much much higher development budget, right?
Yeah waaay higher. Biggest problem is that Capcom could ship 4 million MH games almost yearly. I don't think even a successful games as service approach will generate that much unless really successful.

I'm definitely not a Nintendo fanboy but yeah, it's pretty clear how Capcom sabotaged their own game. And no, Switch wouldn't make things better, Nintendo surely isn't strong in UK while PS4 is by much and even then MvsC bombed over there.

Bombed so hard in the UK that USF2 on Switch sold better.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
And probably less money Sony is going to spend on them advertising like Nintendo did, or at least that’s what it seems like right now because it’s been nearly nonexistent besides E3.

We'll have to see what they have in store marketing-wise for January, which would be the ideal time for an advertising blitz. They should bring back the Tri dude lol

Capcom should be applauded for finally going all out with Monster Hunter and taking the risk, instead of being demonized because they didn't compromise the game for shitacular Nintendo hardware again. From a player's perspective, there's absolutely no reason to be upset that Capcom provides the best possible gaming experience. Other than one specific reason, for which "sales concern" is at best a farce.

Even though you're just being an annoying troll offering nothing to the actual sales discussion see the below from someone who actually bought the last 4 games.

Gotdatmoney said:
Just to address this since I'm mad critical of Capcom and mad bitter in general, I'm pretty pissed off with the way the series is handled in general. But mainly I really did not want to buy a 3DS and only did so to play Monster Hunter. As in the only 2 games I own for mine are MH4U and MHG. I've bought the last 4 monster hunter games, Tri, 3U, 4U and Generations. Not localizing XX to push World is a huge slap in the face. I'm no longer willing to spend full price on these games being massive time sinks Capcom acts mad shitty about releases and localizations. The existance of MHW does not bother me, I was ready to buy a PS4 and the game immediately. But no XX for the West basically says that Capcom doesn't give a shit about the people who actually support the series despite how shitty they are. I'm not in to buy Vanilla versions of this series to get fucked and I'm not giving them $80 for games.

I'm more a fed up MH fan than really caring about the series leaving Nintendo given that I dont actually like the handhelds the series has been on.

Not every annoyed person care about sales wars and all your stupid bullshit.

I didn't buy Vanilla Generations on launch day to fuck around and not get XX. I was the only one of my friends who bought it because I put faith in XX coming out. Silly me.

DrWong

Capcom should be applauded for finally going all out with Monster Hunter and taking the risk, instead of being demonized because they didn't compromise the game for shitacular Nintendo hardware again. From a player's perspective, there's absolutely no reason to be upset that Capcom provides the best possible gaming experience. Other than one specific reason, for which "sales concern" is at best a farce.
lol! Deserving a "shitacular" gaf status for shitacular posting behavior.

Toxi

Banned
I'm definitely not a Nintendo fanboy but yeah, it's pretty clear how Capcom sabotaged their own game. And no, Switch wouldn't make things better, Nintendo surely isn't strong in UK while PS4 is by much and even then MvsC bombed over there.
Ultra Street Fighter II suggests there are some pretty thirsty Switch fans. It wouldn't have saved the game, but it would have at least helped.

Nintendo France expected 800K for the year before the Switch launch. They had sold around 250K in the middle of June and this figure includes the launch. If they reach 400K before the SMO launch it would mean that 50% of supply is being saved up for the holiday period & SMO launch.
I expect that from a planning perspective the production has always been geared towards a much bigger supply for the holiday months. November/December being 40-50% of the total amount they ship for the entire year is generally something you'd expect in the console space. So With Nintendo selling 2 million before November it would mean that they'd have around 1.5 million at minimum, this is taking into consideration that Obon was already a period where Japan saw a much higher supply than any other territory - while Nov/Dec are huge months everywhere. Overall I expect >40% of total Switch sales for 2017 to come during November and December.

Great! Thanks for the info!

Scrawnton

And probably less money Sony is going to spend on them advertising like Nintendo did, or at least that’s what it seems like right now because it’s been nearly nonexistent besides E3.
Which makes the business of all of these even more mind boggling. Nintendo was a huge champion for popularizing MonHun in the west and wasn't it partly due to their advertising that MH4U was able to succeed in the west?

I'm definitely picking up MHW but I'll probably wait for the PC version to see how post launch support pans out.

I am excited about MHW and I am probably will end up buying it, but I do feel the hype surrounding it feels super artificial. I dont think MHW will the be the breakout hit Capcom wishes and people expect.

The "hype" I see for MHW takes me back to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale´s.

Fiendcode

Yes. The design team is probably similarly sized (MH4 team was already huge for 3DS development) but the move to all new HD assets, global launch and multiplatform support will balloon the budget anyway.

I'm just annoyed that I won't be able to play MHXX on my Switch because reasons.

And even more annoyed at Capcom's PR response about that. That's the only bitterness on my end.

Everything else is observations on how poorly they've handled their releases and expectations this year.

Oh sure it will be decent bit more expensive also and of course total revenue generated by the game will take hit too compared to past 3DS entries. Not just as much as unit difference would indicate. Would be nice if MC or Famitsu would have revenue based charts too (like NPD).

I'm just annoyed that I won't be able to play MHXX on my Switch because reasons.

And even more annoyed at Capcom's PR response about that. That's the only bitterness on my end.

Everything else is observations on how poorly they've handled their releases and expectations this year.

Pretty much. But I'm double mad that they localized the vanilla version over the expansion. Why the fuck would I ever buy vanilla MH from this point forward?

Hero

Oh. Well there it is.

If Monster Hunter's not your jam, that's okay, but it'd be nice if you didn't throw it under the bus with the rest of Capcom's trash.

Right, I'm not going to speak to the quality of MHW since I'm not into the series and I wouldn't have a very valid opinion on it. What I can criticize is Capcom's business strategy surrounding it, which I obviously don't think it a smart move. It is possible for that game to come out great and for it to still fail within Capcom's expectations.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So, the total software that Capcom wanted to push by the end of the FY was 11.5 million, correct? I suspect that MHW and remasters will have to do the heavy lifting, and even then it's pretty much a guarantee that they won't make the target. MvCI will be lucky to get 1 million at this rate, let alone 2.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
With these sales rolling in, Switch likely would've outsold the PS4 version too.

Capcom should test the waters with MVC2 Switch for $39.99. Just to be safe.
Hahaha as it goes on these test just be one all the more stupid. Capcom needs all the help it can get these days. The times of being picky are over.

Toxi

Banned
Pretty much. But I'm double mad that they localized the vanilla version over the expansion. Why the fuck would I ever buy vanilla MH from this point forward?
From this point forward?

I don't blame you for waiting for the G-rank expansion, but it's not exactly a new problem for the series.

The annoying part is that everyone (including myself) were convinced Generations wouldn't get a G-rank expansion.

From this point forward?

Yes. From this point forward. I ask you. Did you think XX would not be localized? If the answer is no. I ask you. What point is there to believe anything Capcom says? Why would I ever buy the Vanilla version knowing the shit they just pulled?

Did you buy Generations? Doesn't it piss you off?

I don't blame you for waiting for the G-rank expansion, but it's not exactly a new problem for the series.

We pretty much always got the expansion versions. When did we not come to think of it?

The annoying part is that everyone (including myself) were convinced Generations wouldn't get a G-rank expansion.

This annoys me too. But I never believed them because if Generations was suppose to be the ultimate version G rank would have been there from the start. What MH games never got a G rank editions?

Capcom just fucking sucks honestly.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
From this point forward?

To be fair, most western releases were had the expansions included already. Makes me wonder why they did differently for the Generations/XX situation.
Go back a year ago and almost everyone would've been in agreement that XX was coming to the west.

I Agree with that but it's still a Resident Evil for you? Or just an opportunist clone of the canceled PT for the PSVR?

Eh, RE7 is still very much Resident Evil through and through. The Bakers as you go through the game couldn't be more classic RE villains. The final boss battle is definitely an RE boss battle.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh really? Tell me why.

It would have failed, 500k shipped would mean not even half of that selling to costumers =/
Not sure what your on about. I doubt Capcom in it's the best scenario (e.g it's guidance at this point) expects the xb1 version to ship much more than 500k and that sku already exists.

With these sales rolling in, Switch likely would've outsold the PS4 version too.

Capcom should test the waters with MVC2 Switch for $39.99. Just to be safe.

Honestly if they added more a couple more characters that aren't just Evil Ken or whatever I'd probably be tempted if not a bit hesitant to grab a UMVC2 (mostly cause of the price).

ggx2ac

Ditto.

I'm not bothered about MHW because I can play it on Steam. What was annoying is that this isn't the first time Capcom decides to screw over a western fanbase by skipping a localised release. I ended up playing a fan translation of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 many years after release and it was a really good sequel that Capcom didn't localise... Thanks Capcpom.

Toxi

Banned
Yes. From this point forward. I ask you. Did you think XX would not be localized? If the answer is no. I ask you. What point is there to believe anything Capcom says? Why would I ever buy the Vanilla version knowing the shit they just pulled?

Did you buy Generations?
Yes.

I'm not sure why them not localizing the G rank expansion is what got you pissed off at buying the vanilla version though. The reason Capcom expansion rereleases suck is that you have to buy the same game again.

Like I'm pissed off that I can't fight Massacre Demon Diablos, but if the game were localized, I'd also be pissed off that I'm effectively paying 40 dollars for the same game with G-rank and Barioth.

Not sure what your on about. I doubt Capcom in it's the best scenario (e.g it's guidance at this point) expects the xb1 version to ship much more than 500k and that sku already exists.

I'm not sure what your on about? Why would Capcom ship 500k for a Switch version if they haven't for the X1 version?

Yes.

I'm not sure why them not localizing the G rank expansion is what got you pissed off at buying the vanilla version though.

I only bought the Vanilla version because I knew we were getting an expansion. None of my friends bought the game. I had to play it alone but I swallowed it because when G rank came out I wouldnt have to do shitty low rank stuff.

Scrawnton

Yes.

I'm not sure why them not localizing the G rank expansion is what got you pissed off at buying the vanilla version though.
Because it highlights their issue with ignoring Switch. I have generations on 3DS and I love it. I would've bought MHXX on Swtch in a heart beat. This whole thing with Nintendo fans stems from them going out of their way to not support the platform. I own all systems, I'm fine with MHW being on PS4 and PC because I have those two options to buy it, but not bring MHXX over on Switch is a huge reason Nintendo fans are upset with them.

It's good that Japanese audiences are getting both, but did MHXX have soft sales on Switch because it was a bad port of a 3DS game that came out five months before, or are they really waiting for MHW? Time will tell.

casiopao

Yo bro. Still on that spree huh.^_^

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not sure what your on about? Why would Capcom ship 500k for a Switch version if they haven't for the X1 version?
The whole conversation was about a theoretical switch sky adding the sales of usf2 as a maximum. I don't understand what your input into it was about.

The whole conversation was about a theoretical switch sky adding the sales of usf2 as a maximum. I don't understand what your input into it was about.

No, you're the one who brought this usf2 numbers to the conversation. I was saying that the PS4/XB1/PC numbers are so low that a New SKU wouldn't change this scenario.

Toxi

Banned
I only bought the Vanilla version because I knew we were getting an expansion. None of my friends bought the game. I had to play it alone but I swallowed it because when G rank came out I wouldnt have to do shitty low rank stuff.
Why did you buy the vanilla game if you just wanted to play the expansion?

Well they did call the game Double Cross so it's not like they were trying to hide the fact that they're shitty.

I imported XX and honestly it's much better than X/Gen even with the language barrier. Having to do LR/HR from scratch was embittering but the worst part is knowing that they could have just held off and localized this last year as opposed to localizing X in the first place. I definitely feel burned.
When the US is probably the country where the PS4 version can debut over 10k it's not exactly a high bar. Also Switch owners are starved for games so tons and tons of games are selling incredibly well on it.
This was a fair argument to make at launch but I feel like now we're in that "What are people doing with all these Wiis?" denial stage. Switch is anything but content starved.

Are we gonna talk about cappcom and MH at every Mc thread until infinity, aren't we. I mean I get it, it's the biggest Japanese franchise but yeah..

Why did you buy the vanilla game if you just wanted to play the expansion?

Because you have to do the vanilla content anyway so its not like you can get around it either way. You can just buy Vanilla and trade it in when the expansion is announced. You don't lose anything money wise that way since the 3DS games hold their value.

Further more why are you framing actually supporting the release as a bad thing? The main thing your saying is "now you know not to buy the Vanilla game in good faith".

Yeah I know now clearly, fuck me though obviosuly.

jman2050

I mean, Monster Hunter World actually looking like a good game hasn't made those people happy and satisfied.

Hopefully it'll do decently enough and then when the inevitable Switch port/rerelease comes, people will be happy and satisfied.

I mean, you said you wanted the game to fail, regardless of its quality, just so Capcom has another failure. You're not bitter because you're a Nintendo fan, but you're still hella bitter.

Like if you don't like what you see of Monster Hunter World, I can understand why you'd want it to fail. Because that sends the message you don't want more games like Monster Hunter World. But why tear down good games for mistakes made elsewhere?

I have no ill will towards the people making the game, and by all accounts it looks to be a big step up from previous entries. My brother is a big MH fan and he’s quite looking forward to it. But Capcom aren’t just the “people making the game.” They’re a lot bigger than that.

Top Bottom