• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the husbands who fly first class – while their wives travel in economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i receive first class upgrades sometimes when I travel with my girl and I always offer her the seat.. wtf is wrong with people.

lol

If I tried this, my wife would drag my ass to her economy seat, then march up front and claim my first class seat. Then she'd probably send a flight attendant back to throw a glass of champagne in my face.

jcutner

lol

If I tried this, my wife would drag my ass to her economy seat, then march up front and claim my first class seat. Then she'd probably send a flight attendant back to throw a glass of champagne in my face.

right? what an absolutely incredulous article

lol

Haha, I am pretty sure if I tried this no action or words would even be necessary. I would just get the stink-eye and immediately know I was in the doghouse.

Dalek

lol

I would be riding in the luggage compartment with the animals.

kingwingin

I presume her response will be to stay in separate hotels too since it's not fair if she can't afford a nice room, and have separate dinners out of fairness, then maybe you can stay separated when you get home.
So i should cram myself in economy because why?

Dryk

The worst part is all of the wives being like "Well you know it sucks but my husband doesn't want to spend the money". Fuck those guys.

I don't see what the issue or how this has anything to do with feminism. If the wife wants to sit first class she should say so, and the husband doesn't want to pay it well tough luck, your husband is potentially an asshole, live with it or divorce.
Because this is the sort of treatment that women have historically been taught to just shut up and put up with.

Eidan

I don't understand why they wouldn't just take different flights to at least attempt to not look like a dipshit.

Timbuktu

As a kid I flew first class once when we went with my dad on a business trip to Singapore. He wanted to sit with my mom so gave me his business class seat, which I was got nervous about and hen even more so when it was upgraded to first class. All I remember was the all the fat guys' bellies next to me in first class wobbling during landing.

“John finds economy unbearable,” explained economy-class wife Michelle Sedgemore to the Daily Mail. “He doesn't like the chatter, hates that too many people are in close proximity and can't bear being crammed into his seat.” When they both flew in economy to the Maldives in 2001, it was a “disaster”: “John didn't stop moaning and grumbling. I had to have a few glasses of wine to try to drown out his whingeing.”

Ms. Sedgemore I'm afraid you've married a 5 year old

These scenarios make sense if the employer is paying for the first class seat. Sounds like in at least a few of these cases, the family is making an impromptu vacation out of a business trip. First class tickets, especially on long haul flights, are insanely pricey compared to economy. Spending an extra thousand or four just so they can sit together for a few hours seems like it would defeat the purpose (vacationing partially on the company dime to save from the cost of a self-funded one) of said impromptu vacation. Silly article.

Lucreto

And when they separate at check-in, they don’t even attempt to see each other. “We won't go to each other's respective sections on the flight. In the early days I did, but it got too awkward. I'd get stopped by cabin crew demanding to know where I was going.

“Even when we get off the plane we're like strangers to each another. Arrun will have a chauffeur waiting for him. The car whisks him straight to meetings. I have to find myself a taxi. At least he does text me to check I'm en route to our hotel.”

I find that unbelievable, I would feel guilty the entire trip but I understand the business is paying the ticket and he probably can't afford to buy one for her or was sold out.

But I would have made sure she got transport before leaving the airport and will be constantly looking for updates until she is safely in the hotel room. That would be my primary concern over the meeting.

Platy

I don't see what the issue or how this has anything to do with feminism. If the wife wants to sit first class she should say so, and the husband doesn't want to pay it well tough luck, your husband is potentially an asshole, live with it or divorce.

For someone named therealist you sure live in a beautifull world where everyone is already equal.

Most people said the problem was the money, so why not 1) everyone goes economy or 2) one flight one goes, the other flight the other goes ?

Also how about the part that PRATICALY EVERY WIFE ALREADY SAID THEY WANT TO FLIGHT IN UPPER CLASS ?

Goodlife

So a husband whose company flies him business class should a) refuse it and sit in coach b) take out a loan for the upwards of $25k business class ticket. C) tell his wife it is better for her not to go. I don't think there is a good answer.

Could he not say to the person Sat next to his wife that he wants to swap seats with them

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
They're not really buying it for first class

They're buying it for separation from their spouse!

tumblr_mmv3jopZmw1r2lonmo1_500.gif

These dudes wanna pretend to be ballers, hoping to see a instagram thot flying to see her sugar daddy/Prince/sheik and not get evil eyed by their wife.

Furyous

It's some "Tyrone" dude in economy scheming at this moment. Talking about some "your man has you in first class but I'll definitely treat you special". I do not condone such behavior for the record. People need to treat their spouses with dignity or someone else will come along and convince them to leave the partnership.

Juicy Bob

Flying economy isn't great, but it's probably as good an experience these days as it's ever been.

On my last long-haul flights, I've had amazing in-flight entertainment options, free booze and good food. I'm happy to fly economy.

First class always feels like a waste of money to me, kinda like riding around in a limo. The first time, it's kinda fun because there's crazy amenities or whatever, every time afterwards, it just feels like a nuisance. Economy has entertainment, food, and crazy people to talk to. What more could you want?

Kvik

How come a man can be so tightarsed he wouldn't spend some extra dollars on his wife and condemned her to an eternity of flying in economy class?

Those vows of "for better or worse" are just words after all. Probably "better" for him and "worse" for her.

Phased

As someone who is very tall with long legs travelling economy is an absolute nightmare for me. I spend the entire flight with my legs nearly up into my chest and I end up with horrible back pain for days.

With that said there's no way I'd go first class and ditch my SO in economy. That's shitty.

How come a man can be so tightarsed he wouldn't spend some extra dollars on his wife and condemned her to an eternity of flying in economy class?

Those vows of "for better or worse" are just words after all. Probably "better" for him and "worse" for her.

From what I've read a couple of the husbands aren't spending money on the seats, they are being paid for by their company. 1st class tickets aren't just a couple of extra bucks, in many cases they can be thousands of extra dollars.

First class always feels like a waste of money to me, kinda like riding around in a limo. The first time, it's kinda fun because there's crazy amenities or whatever, every time afterwards, it just feels like a nuisance. Economy has entertainment, food, and crazy people to talk to. What more could you want?

Leg and elbow room?

Eumi

I can see the first one as being more about the guy hating econ but the girl being fine so they split rather than wasting money, but that second situation is fucked. It's obvious the guy wants first class but doesn't want to pay for his wife.

If your company only buys one first class ticket for you, fine. I wouldn't spent the money either to buy a second one and you can sit apart for a few hours.

But when you are the one buying the tickets - or owning the company -, this is some shitty behavior towards your wife.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm always unimpressed with first class. Although I have noticed that the most attractive flight attendant is usually hanging around first class.

But I'm never on long flights. Maybe it's more fun on international trips. But Detroit to Houston, or Austin to Chicago...meh.

*Splinter

“John finds economy unbearable,” explained economy-class wife Michelle Sedgemore to the Daily Mail.
Why is the Telegraph running a Daily Mail story?

And the Daily Mail is a banned source for a reason.

soqquatto

am I supposed to be offended at random shit random people do? because I already know that random people can be nasty.

ramparter

Banned
Is this really about feminism and sexism? Sounds more about badly spoiled people. And I 'm really sorry for these wives but I'm afraid this is just the tip of the iceberg. Obviously there will be also many other situations in their lives where theor husbands enjoy the benefits while them have to deal with struggles.

chrizzz09

but why should i pay? She earns her own money

So you're the kind of guy who goes with his girlfriend to the movies but just buys tickets with premium seating and popcorn for himself and let's his girlfriend seat in the front row. Oh and she can buy her own popcorn, because "she earns her own money?"

None of those things are good.

Depends on who you're sitting next to. I've met some cool people on planes who made the journey more fun. And KLM food is amazing.

I'm always unimpressed with first class. Although I have noticed that the most attractive flight attendant is usually hanging around first class.

But I'm never on long flights. Maybe it's more fun on international trips. But Detroit to Houston, or Austin to Chicago...meh.

I've flown economy on 14+ hour flights. At that point, the most annoying thing about it is I can never sleep on a plane, but first class wouldn't be able to fix that unless I went on one of those super luxury planes where the first class gets actual beds. And then that's just a waste of money just to get a nap.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My wife is 6" taller than me. There is no way in hell I would make her fly economy if I could afford first for myself. But hey I am not a shithead.

Vagabundo

I doubt that this was their first clue that their SO's were assholes. Yet they still pulled the trigger.

Move on ladies, there are plenty of fish int he sea, it's not worth it for the few crumbs from their table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom