• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the husbands who fly first class – while their wives travel in economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even fathom what it's like to be in a relationship where after your plane lands, you don't even speak to your SO, and then get in a limo while he/she hails a taxi. Just bizarre behavior, but who am I to judge?

That second guy sounds like the biggest asshole in the world. "In my opinion everyone should fly first class - it's the only way to fly." "Sir, what about your wife?" "Her? She's not my wife. I don't even know her" ::gets in car to go to meeting::

Nope, just curious. I have a suspicion that it's usually the person who makes the most money in the relationship who starts this "rule," and was wondering how a situation like that is handled. My wife and I have always shared our earnings, even before we were married. She "hit the lottery" in a manner of speaking, and there was never a question that it was "ours."

Not the case here, she makes about 40k more than me. There is no "rule" so to speak here, just what works for us. If there is a really large purchase that needs to be made of course we discuss it beforehand but other than that I don't see why the money has to go in one big pot.

Our situation isn't unique at all.

I pay for upgrades because I'm concerned about a recurrence of a DVT. I'm not sure my missus gives a shit though, she'd probably be happy enough in economy as more often than not she just sleeps (I've never been able to sleep on flights).

I can't even fathom what it's like to be in a relationship where after your plane lands, you don't even speak to your SO, and then get in a limo while he/she hails a taxi. Just bizarre behavior, but who am I to judge?

1) The husband might need to rush to an important meeting.

2) People who do a lot of business travels sometime want to hide the fact that they're bringing a SO other along. So it's not uncommon to have separate travel arrangements to the same destination.

An older coworker of mine got caught by accounting once and they gave him hell + wanted the SO's portion of room service/hotel amenities refunded.

Another friend of mine does something similar cause he's gay and can't afford to have his coworkers find out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I could understand a situation where maybe you can only afford one business class seat, or you've save enough frequent flyer miles to upgrade to one business class seat. But in that case I'd most likely share with my wife - one of us outbound, the other on the return leg.

First class makes no sense at all - first + economy is enough money to buy two business class seats, and while business class is great, I don't see the point much in first class. A flat bed and nobody stepping over me to go to the bathroom is all I would reasonably want.

Maybe if he's a businessman and needs to be in meetings straight off the plane,mans the wife is travelling on their own money.. But even then the first class element is too much of a differential

1) The husband might need to rush to an important meeting.

2) People who do a lot of business travels sometime want to hide the fact that they're bringing a SO other along. So it's not uncommon to have separate travel arrangements to the same destination.

An older coworker of mine got caught by accounting once and they gave him hell + wanted the SO's portion of room service/hotel amenities refunded.

Another friend of mine does something similar cause he's gay and can't afford to have his coworkers find out.

I guess that makes sense. It's not a lifestyle I can really relate to, but the reasons you cite sound credible.

mr2xxx

Banned
So a husband whose company flies him business class should a) refuse it and sit in coach b) take out a loan for the upwards of $25k business class ticket. C) tell his wife it is better for her not to go. I don't think there is a good answer.

D) Switch seats on the return trip.

Nista

I would love to fly first or business class on an international flight, and I'm sure my SO would be glad to give me the roomier seat because I get kinda anxious and wiggly with my legs crushed up in economy. It would be a respite from me stretching my legs on him and sticking my head on his shoulder trying to sleep.

There's no way we could afford 2 fancy seats, nor do we work in an industry that pays for business class. :p I really should find a doctor to prescribe me some meds for flying 12+ hours.

BamfMeat

If she is willing to pay for herself, don't see the problem. But no, I don't think a man should be obligated to pay for his wife to travel first class, even if he wants to.

And I don't believe in this concept of "shared money" I earnt it, it's mine. You earnt it, it's yours.

We can share bills and responsibilities but income is a no go.

To an extent I agree with you - my husband and I actually never pooled our money, but it wasn't about a bullshit mindset of "I earnt it, it's mine" attitude. It's because we never really had the occasion or need to. We have a joint account that we threw money into before we got married when we'd need to pay bills or whatever and just never got around to combining them all. I make a slight bit less than him but it's not so drastic it's an issue.

When we travel, we also make the tickets together and one or the other buys. There isn't a divide of "get your own seat. I'll get mine." I mean, at that point, what's the point of being married?

The scenario that they described involved one person working and one person being on vacation. If both people were on vacation and they took separate cabs to the hotel I would think that was odd.

butzopower

proud of his butz
This happened to me when my girlfriend booked the same flight as me, but I could only book first class for some reason with the dumb vendor I had to use through work. It was only a 45 min flight though, but I still got a ton of free food and shit for some reason.

Some of these dudes sound like assholes through and through, but I don't think flying separately is as big of a deal as the article makes it out to be.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
To an extent I agree with you - my husband and I actually never pooled our money, but it wasn't about a bullshit mindset of "I earnt it, it's mine" attitude. It's because we never really had the occasion or need to. We have a joint account that we threw money into before we got married when we'd need to pay bills or whatever and just never got around to combining them all. I make a slight bit less than him but it's not so drastic it's an issue.

My fiance and I are kind of in between your approach and the approach of the poster you quoted.

We have no joint accounts and we split bills proportionally based on income (so I pay a fair bit more). We never fight about money that way as we're each paying our fair share, all bills get paid with no stress as we both make decent money, and we have no reason to care what the other does with their extra income (after bills and retirement account contributions). We also live well under our means and either could pay all our bills individually. As in my first post, we're both the type that's never wanted to be dependent on someone else financially.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If they're partners and they want to travel together to wherever the business trip is to be together, why would it be the 'husband' who's paying? Wouldn't it be 'their' money? If the wife doesn't care or they both agreed it would save money, then it doesn't matter as it's a decision they made together, but to relegate her to the back without the option is pretty shitty.

The 2nd one specifically states the husband is there for business for his company and she even acknowledges it's "his" company, "his" money. Hence my question where the wife seems to accept it, why the outrage. Even mentioning, she is tagging along for just a vacation at the end of his business trip.

So it is the husband who is playing from what the article said....

I don't know how these assholes sleep at night
in their roomy chairs sipping mimosas as the buffeting clouds gently rock them to their slumber.

Gallbaro

Banned
Coming at you live from 32000 ft. Somewhere between JFK AND SFO.

Regretting every minute of skipping on that mint upgrade.

tkscz

Reading the article, these people are making this choice purposely. With some of them admitting it's for money and they don't really give a shit. I don't see the issue if they aren't being forced to do it.

The scenario that they described involved one person working and one person being on vacation. If both people were on vacation and they took separate cabs to the hotel I would think that was odd.

In this scenario, he could be risking his job doing this. Not sure who he works for or if he owns the business, but most businesses don't let you use their money for others, even if it's your SO or children. He's most likely using company money for that first class ticket and paying out of pocket for his wife and the limo was probably provided by his business to pick him up and take him somewhere specific while his wife can tour and go to the hotel.

“Even when we get off the plane we're like strangers to each another. Arrun will have a chauffeur waiting for him. The car whisks him straight to meetings. I have to find myself a taxi. At least he does text me to check I'm en route to our hotel.”

My parents travel in first class all of the time together,usually as an upgrade due to how much my dad travels due to work.

When we flew with them when we lived together it was likely that it was either both of my parents in business, and my sisters and I in economy. Unless they only had one business ticket, in which case he offers it to whoever in the family hasn't been in first class in a while.

Z3K

It's a hard choice, but I too would sacrifice a few hours away from my partner and go and sit in first class.

#Relatable

Why do you even get married if you don't want to do things together? For the tax break?

So, you either want to do EVERY FUCKING THING together, or nothing together? Really? I love how some of you are acting as if not sitting together on a plane is some shocking, unimaginable concept that obviously means that both parties hate each other. Sometimes, rationality and doing things that make sense can trump "being together every second of the day", and that's completely fine and normal in a relationship where both parties are secure, and won't implode the second they have some personal space apart.

If one of the spouses got a business class ticket on the company, I see no reason why a second one needs to be purchased, instead of economy, which often costs 2-5X more, for the sole reason of sitting together for a couple hrs. If we're talking about a rich couple where money is no object, then sure, why not. But if not, that kind of extra spending is pretty absurd and irresponsible.

I'm getting married in a week, and I personally I know if this happened to me and my fiancée was coming along, she would be against getting a business ticket herself, cause she's a grounded individual that doesn't like to overspend needlessly. Now, if this happened to me, I think I would also offer her my seat and suggest to switch, but she would probably fight me on that too.

There are sensible, practical reasons why the husband might stay in business class that has nothing to do with comfort or selfishness. Maybe he has to prepare for the meeting on arrival? To use his laptop? Reasons which are justified, and which a reasonable partner would understand.

This forum seems to be full of white knights that get outraged in every situation where the guy does not grovel or completely sacrifice his comfort or needs/wants for the woman, and never in reverse. And yet, these same people admit they're not in a relationship and end up posting sob story threads about how they can't make a connection or find a girl. So, you may not really understand relationship the way you pretend that you do.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I refuse to travel in economy and my boyfriend doesn't want to pay for the difference, so I travel alone in the front of the plane. Why should I suffer because he doesn't want to pay?

First class always feels like a waste of money to me, kinda like riding around in a limo. The first time, it's kinda fun because there's crazy amenities or whatever, every time afterwards, it just feels like a nuisance. Economy has entertainment, food, and crazy people to talk to. What more could you want?

leg room. as a 6'5" man. i can't fucking stand flying. and it's bullshit when they give the exit rows to 5'0 people.

why would i buy different seats at a theater? A plane ride is a hurdle to the destination while a movie is the destination.

Its like if i was going to meet someone at the theater and i was going to cab it. But they were going to bus and for some strange reason i have to pay for their cab because everything has to be equal.

Also i wouldnt buy her popcorn, she is an adult with money.

It's more like you are both in the same place and you tell them to take a bus even though you are already getting the cab.

If they're partners and they want to travel together to wherever the business trip is to be together, why would it be the 'husband' who's paying? Wouldn't it be 'their' money? If the wife doesn't care or they both agreed it would save money, then it doesn't matter as it's a decision they made together, but to relegate her to the back without the option is pretty shitty.

you should work harder so you can afford it :p

tkscz

Yep, my Dad has done this. What a bunch of pricks.

How are they pricks? For most of them, it's not their money. It's being paid for by the company for one person. You make it sound like they don't talk about this with their wives before doing it. The wives do this because they either, understand the money isn't theirs, or really don't give a shit (in the case of one, she'd rather deal with economy than with her husband's bitching). They aren't being forced to do this.

It's not their money for a business trip, it's Company money and like I said before, most companies don't want you spending their money bringing your SO with you. They pay out of pocket for the SO and the business pay for them. The business can see what the employee spent and if they see two back and forth first class tickets, you better believe they won't have to worry about trips anymore.

Syriel

These dudes wanna pretend to be ballers, hoping to see a instagram thot flying to see her sugar daddy/Prince/sheik and not get evil eyed by their wife.

There might be some truth to this comment. I first met a former girlfriend on an international business flight.

I'm not seeing an issue if one is on business and getting his ticket comp by the company while the other is coming for vacation. They come off as assholes, but wouldn't the idea of the husband being required to pay for her ticket be sexism?

If they're flying on a family vacation, shouldn't the cost (beyond what the company is paying) be borne by both of them? That also disregards the fact that mileage programs allow you to upgrade a partner as if they had your level.

These guys wouldn't need to spend $$$ to get their wives upgraded. They could just spend their own mileage points. And if they don't want to spend points, switch off the seat. It's already paid for. No one cares which one of them sits in it.

Is this the part where we stop talking about how things actually work in a lot of households and start throwing out absurd hypotheticals to try and prove a point?

Most households I know have joint accounts. The idea of a family having separate accounts seems like an uncommon thing and a throwback to the past.

I'm on a text thread where our wives are LOVING this story.

I travel a lot for work and so I have LOADS of mileage points. I usually get free upgrades on domestic when I am traveling with my family as a result - sometimes I can upgrade everyone, sometimes just 'me" - so what I normally do is offer my wife (who is pretty short) the seat - saying I will sit with our daughter in coach.

She ALWAYS plays martyr and refuses (unless one of her girlfriends is up front). So rather than "waste" the seat, I offer it to whatever lucky bastard is sitting next to my wife and kid in a row of three. Amazingly I have encountered a few (rude or weird) people who refuse to trade. Then my wife uses that against me later.

OK, now that's just weird. If you offer her the seat and she doesn't want it, you should take it. No reason to let a perfectly good upgrade go to waste. One of you should be enjoying the benefit.

Why do you even get married if you don't want to do things together? For the tax break?

If both partners are making decent money there is no tax break. Marriage actually means paying more in taxes for those couples.

These guys wouldn't need to spend $$$ to get their wives upgraded. They could just spend their own mileage points. And if they don't want to spend points, switch off the seat. It's already paid for. No one cares which one of them sits in it.

From a business perspective, I often work whilst flying. Giving the seat to my wife (for what it's worth, if we fly together, we fly at the same class) would be counter productive as she'd just be using it as an opportunity to watch some crap on the inflight entertainment system and stretch out a bit.

Most households I know have joint accounts. The idea of a family having separate accounts seems like an uncommon thing and a throwback to the past.

We also have a joint account.

Because most of the people you know have joint accounts doesnt mean it's uncommon for people to keep separate accounts. Most of the people in the US are Christian, though it's not uncommon to meet a Muslim.

Separate accounts isn't a throwback to the past, it's quite the opposite. In the past the men made the money and the women used it to take care of the house. Everything came out of one account. Separate accounts didn't become more common until women started making their own money in droves and there was less of a need for them to depend solely on what their husbands brought home.

A.edrerai

Banned
If you cant provide a equal exipirence for your wife then you have no right to take her with you and on top of that using your wife love to make her feel misserable in my opinion is very dishonest and cruel way to handel things .

You should work to live motherfucker and not live to work .
If your wife is not your life then dont get married .

When we travel, we also make the tickets together and one or the other buys. There isn't a divide of "get your own seat. I'll get mine." I mean, at that point, what's the point of being married?

There is a big logical leap from considering earnt income the income of the person who earnt it and saying that on trips together it's everyone for themselves.

I have no problem paying for myself and my partner out my own pocket, my only issue is with an expectation I have to do so, or that any money I earn also belongs to her by default.

If want to treat myself to a little extra luxury, it's my perogative. If I don't have enough to treat both of us, then yes she is going to have to dip into her own pocket.

As I said, shared responsibilites, things that we decide to do together and things we buy for both of our benefit can be shared. But income is personal to the person who earnt it and nobody is entitled to that which they did not help earn in my view.

That all said I have no interest in getting married to anyone.

1) Business Class doesn't cost $25k.
2) In your case he could just swap seats with her during boarding.

Problem solved.

Those tickets are not transferable.

I don't have this problem because work would just fly me economy anyway,
I doubt VPs take their wifes and kids with them on business trips.
Would have to be in a different line of business.

What we do have is a huge annual trip to an expensive resort such as Bora Bora for our salesmen and VPs. Because our sales are based on a handful of large contracts, the salesmen are seen as directly responsible for the deals while the engineers who build the products and provide the services are just replaceable drones.

Ryan_MSF

I can't imagine doing this, flights are painfully boring as it is, at least having my fiancée next to me makes it bearable haha.

jchap

I'm 6'5" my wife is 5'4". If anyone needs more legroom its me. Every seat is first class for shorties. I might consider upgrading just my seat on a long flight to save some money. Of course I say this only in theory. I have never had the gumption to try it.

If you cant provide a equal exipirence for your wife then you have no right to take her with you and on top of that using your wife love to make her feel misserable in my opinion is very dishonest and cruel way to handel things .

You should work to live motherfucker and not live to work .
If your wife is not your life then dont get married .

Take her with you? Did it not cross your mind that the woman could make her own choice to come.

I travel for work quite a bit and the tickets are purchased pretty well in advance, by the company. Last trip my wife decided to tag along last minute and the only seats left were really cheap economy seats. So I'm trying to use your logic and determine what should have happened here. Since we wouldn't have equal flight experiences should I have made up an excuse and canceled the work trip or should I have forbid her from traveling with me at all?

Take her with you? Did it not cross your mind that the woman could make her own choice to come.

I travel for work quite a bit and the tickets are purchased pretty well in advance, by the company. Last trip my wife decided to tag along last minute and the only seats left were really cheap economy seats. So I'm trying to use your logic and determine what should have happened here. Since we wouldn't have equal flight experiences should I have made up an excuse and canceled the work trip or should I have forbid her from traveling with me at all?
You could switch seats on one if the trips.

hqdefault.jpg

Desi

So you're the kind of guy who goes with his girlfriend to the movies but just buys tickets with premium seating and popcorn for himself and let's his girlfriend seat in the front row. Oh and she can buy her own popcorn, because "she earns her own money?"
I do this. But I also go to the movies once a year so it's a treat

We also always pay our own out except for rare occasions

Do you know how many second marriages keep separate bank accounts and financials?

A lot

And I understand it. I make what I make, she makes what she makes. We pool together to pay all the common bills and what's left is what's left. Why is it my business that she might have an extra 200 bucks and want to spend it on shoes. Same for me and my video games. If we need to save for something we discuss that

The crux of the idea is that if shit hits the fan you have security in knowing you are controlling your money

Also, not watching your spouse's spending after important bills avoids fights about dumb stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom