• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GAF, are the Mega Man Gigamix volumes worth it?

I've only read the Megamix ones and they were really good! Lotsa fanservice and attention to detail in those.

mm11sp33o29.jpg

Earlier this afternoon, French game composer Xavier "mv" Dang released a soundtrack to a fake "Mega Man 11," created in FamiTracker in order to emulate the NES sound. You can download it for free from Bandcamp and eventually from his site.

It's pretty solid stuff, and the original Robot Masters are appropriately wild. Just look at Whip Woman. She looks like Linda from Double Dragon.

I've only read the Megamix ones and they were really good! Lotsa fanservice and attention to detail in those.

YES. The art has been vastly improved (Gigamix came out almost a full decade after Megamix), and the second and third volumes are one continuous story about the Stardroids invasion. And no, Dr. Wily doesn't command the Stardroids in this comic.

SkyOdin

I finally finished collecting the last volume of Gigamix last week, coincidentally. In short, if you like Megamix, you will like Gigamix. The first volume of Gigamix in particular is absolutely loaded with unexpected shout-outs to the Mega Man franchise. Ariga has an amazing attention to detail and an obvious love for the Mega Man series.

My brother also thinks that Gigamix has some of the best depictions of Dr. Light and Dr. Wily.

So, I think they are definitely worth getting if you like manga and are a Mega Man fan.

I used to play the classic games so much that when X1 came out, I beat it in one sitting the first night, and honestly it kinda took the wind out of my sails. I had never beaten any of the classic games in less than a few nights. This isn't some sad attempt at bragging, I mention this because what felt most off to me was the dash. It felt like it made so much of so many stages completely skippable. I've come to really appreciate the game, but I'd be lying If I didn't say first reaction after being so immersed in the classic series was "that's all?"

Anyone else have a similar experience? I'd like to think anyway that wasn't just me being a fanboy bent out of shape over how different it was.

I used to play the classic games so much that when X1 came out, I beat it in one sitting the first night, and honestly it kinda took the wind out of my sails. I had never beaten any of the classic games in less than a few nights. This isn't some sad attempt at bragging, I mention this because what felt most off to me was the dash. It felt like it made so much of so many stages completely skippable. I've come to really appreciate the game, but I'd be lying If I didn't say first reaction after being so immersed in the classic series was "that's all?"

Anyone else have a similar experience? I'd like to think anyway that wasn't just me being a fanboy bent out of shape over how different it was.

I really don't want to jump right back into this after what i've said here so far, it makes me look like I hate the X series which I don't.
But yes I did have this exact thought when I went through X.
I will say though that Dash Jump is quite possibly my favourite thing about the game, satisfying leaps. Anyway my whole deal jumps back to the less platforming focus and no need for me to keep cawing away on that point, the way the stages can change depending on the order you play them is pretty cool and helps make up for things.

Pietepiet

mm11sp33o29.jpg

Earlier this afternoon, French game composer Xavier "mv" Dang released a soundtrack to a fake "Mega Man 11," created in FamiTracker in order to emulate the NES sound. You can download it for free from Bandcamp and eventually from his site.

It's pretty solid stuff, and the original Robot Masters are appropriately wild. Just look at Whip Woman. She looks like Linda from Double Dragon.

I love this, and it makes me so sad at the same time

SkyOdin

I played Mega Man X when I was a kid, as one of the first Mega Man games I really got into, and it took me years to finally beat it. Mostly because I was bad at fighting Sigma. Of course, it took me even longer to finally get around to beating any of the Classic games, mostly due to how I only ever rented games when I was young, and thus couldn't put in a sustained effort at beating them until I got the Anniversary Collection and finally owned them all.

I don't agree that the dash somehow makes stages "skippable". It makes them go faster, sure, but it doesn't let you bypass very many challenges. On the contrary, I think the classic games give a lot more opportunity to complete bypass challenges, thanks to Item-2, Rush, and more common time-stopping and crush weapons. In the X games, you really can't bypass the platforming segments.

I think this is simply a case of you coming into the game with a higher degree of skill after playing through the classic games, which often had very complex stage design. However, I do think various parts of Sigma's Fortress are some of the more difficult stages in the Mega Man series.

By the way, what was your opinion of the Zero games? Dashing is a common element in those games, but I think it sometimes has more complicated platforming than many of the classic games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I can see where you're coming from... but I certainly didn't have that experience. I played classic MM so much, and when my friend and I finally brought X1 home, I was biting my lip with excitement and it started bleeding :p

I played Mega Man X when I was a kid, as one of the first Mega Man games I really got into, and it took me years to finally beat it. Mostly because I was bad at fighting Sigma. Of course, it took me even longer to finally get around to beating any of the Classic games, mostly due to how I only ever rented games when I was young, and thus couldn't put in a sustained effort at beating them until I got the Anniversary Collection and finally owned them all.

I don't agree that the dash somehow makes stages "skippable". It makes them go faster, sure, but it doesn't let you bypass very many challenges. On the contrary, I think the classic games give a lot more opportunity to complete bypass challenges, thanks to Item-2, Rush, and more common time-stopping and crush weapons. In the X games, you really can't bypass the platforming segments.

I think this is simply a case of you coming into the game with a higher degree of skill after playing through the classic games, which often had very complex stage design. However, I do think various parts of Sigma's Fortress are some of the more difficult stages in the Mega Man series.

By the way, what was your opinion of the Zero games? Dashing is a common element in those games, but I think it sometimes has more complicated platforming than many of the classic games.

You make a very good point about skipping things in the classic series. I've literally never made it across Heat Man's stage without the jet Item, that I can recall.

Sigma is where I finally got really stuck while playing through, the wolf and the wall dashing Sigma parts especially.

I enjoyed the Zero games, but they are all in my backlog atm, don't believe I ever finished one of them.

Mind you, I eventually just got over my initial feelings about the dash. X1 is one of my all-time favorite games now. I think it took a while for me to just realize the pacing is totally different, not bad.

I felt the same way when I first played Mega Man X, but that was because I tried to clear the game as quickly as possible; I didn't really think that getting the sub-tanks, heart tanks or armor pieces were all that important, so I just made a beeline to the bosses. I don't know if that's how you played it, but if you played the same way I did, that explains it. It helps that the stages were fairly straightforward; the level design was clever, but after you've seen the different aspects of each stage they're fairly easy to figure out, and they weren't as convoluted as some of the gimmicks in the later Classic games.

This is true, but I felt that the obstacles in Mega Man X were less of a pain, and thus easier to deal with. I can't think of anything in MMX that was as frustrating as the disappearing blocks or the forced Rush Jet sections that would pop up from time to time in the Classic games. I'll agree with you about the dash making the stages go faster though. The momentum and speed you could get by alternating dashing and jumping was very useful. Between that and charging my shots while bunny hopping, I could either clear through groups of enemies in seconds, or just take the hit and use the invulnerability period to dash past them. That was one of the things I loved about the X and Zero series.

I also had some difficulty dealing with Sigma. The first time I played Mega Man X was when I got the X Collection all the way back in 2006, and for years Sigma was the only boss in that collection that I couldn't beat. I actually beat Sigma in Maverick Hunter X before I beat him in the original game! I only managed to pull it off in '08 or so.

I can see where you're coming from... but I certainly didn't have that experience. I played classic MM so much, and when my friend and I finally brought X1 home, I was biting my lip with excitement and it started bleeding :p

OUCH! Now that's

I've got another Mega Man-inspired music project for you guys!

rokkochanepx0zod.jpg

This is Rokko Chan: Extended Play, an eight-track EP that remixes the amazing soundtrack to Rokko Chan. If you haven't played Rokko Chan, you ought to do that. It's a free Flash game that straight-up copies the NES Mega Man formula but replaces the little robot boy with a little robot girl. It's amazing, and its music is amazing.

The remix album, which sticks to the chiptune sound of the OST, can be downloaded at no cost over here.

Videoneon

So uh, is anyone excited about Project X Zone?

I want it. I may even be crazy enough to pick it up from my local import store, just for the novelty. I don't even have particularly high expectations of the gameplay.

I also don't think we're getting it localized, sadly.

I go to art school and one of my friends drew me as the Virgin Mary in Michelangelo's Pieta holding Mega Man's corpse lol

need pic pls

SkyOdin

So uh, is anyone excited about Project X Zone?

I am, and not even just for the Mega Man stuff. I've actually played Gods Eater Burst and Resonance of Fate, so I am excited by quite a few series in Project X Zone. I highly doubt that it is coming to the US though. It would be really weird to get it when several of the series in it were never released here.

Why Sega? Why? Why did you not localize Valkyria Chronicles 3?

As excited as I can be for a game I'm unlikely to ever be able to play I guess.

This... If the 3DS was at least region free I'd import it... but what can you do?

Anyways, my Mega Man bone got tweaked recently (happens usually once or twice a year) and have decided since it is the 25th anniversary that I'd sit down and play all of MM/X/Z series and likely Legends series (including Tron Bonne) over the next few weeks.

Replaying Mega Man 1 after many years is a harsh reminder of just how easy newer games are... even having played 9/10 pretty recently, MM1 still puts them to shame in difficulty in level design (though not complexity obviously). Sadly the boss fights haven't aged quite as well.

jett

D-Member
mm11sp33o29.jpg

Hey this is pretty awesome. I love mv.

Altazor

mm11sp33o29.jpg

Listening to this. It's gooooooooooooood.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Isn't every game by the developer pretty terrible? So no, not really.

Judging by people posting vids, it seems like they remedied the major factors on to why their games were shit.

- No more FORCED EVASION
- No more "enemy performs a long-winded attack", usually it's just a generic slash, or when it's a boss, a very quick attack animation
- No more simon says defense mode
- Attack mode is shorter and faster while dealing massive damage

SkyOdin

So how bad is Command Mission anyway?

I liked it. In a lot of ways, it is closer to a Breath of Fire game than anything else, so your opinion of Breath of Fire 3 and 4 would tell you a lot about your potential opinion of Command Mission. It isn't an enduring masterpiece like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, nor as good as the better Battle Network games, but it isn't bad either. If you like RPGs and are a Mega Man fan, I think it is definitely worth playing.

SkyOdin

To be clear, I said the good ones. The Battle Network series does suffer from some really uneven quality. But yeah, the Battle Network (and by extension Star Force) series is definitely worth playing.

EVOL 100%

Judging by people posting vids, it seems like they remedied the major factors on to why their games were shit.

- No more FORCED EVASION
- No more "enemy performs a long-winded attack", usually it's just a generic slash, or when it's a boss, a very quick attack animation
- No more simon says defense mode
- Attack mode is shorter and faster while dealing massive damage

That does sound pretty good. I guess I'll pick it up if the price isn't too insane.

$70 for fucking handheld games, wtf Japan?

qq more

I know it's a self-plug, but I've made a few 8-bit NES covers of Mega Man X tunes. Most recently, I did Bubble Crab/Duff McWhalen's theme.

Mega Man X2 - Bubble Crab/Duff McWhalen (8-bit demix)

Mega Man X5 - Izzy Glow (8-bit demix) (Already plugged this one, but I'm putting it here for completion's sake.)

Haven't decided if I'm gonna do more, but I'll leave these here for your listening pleasure. Lemme know what you guys think! :D

Oh man, that Bubble Crab remix is perfect. Also glad that they aren't those god awful GSXCC songs that nearly everyone on youtube uses for their "8bit" "remixes".

Kokonoe

Banned
I've heard so much praise of Command Mission, but I've never played it myself as I really don't play tactics games. Will get to playing eventually to see what I missed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want Project X Zone so bad. So bad. ;___;

omg, Dante's talking to Yuri. Someone localize this.

This one is pretty impressive. I like it a lot.

YES. The art has been vastly improved (Gigamix came out almost a full decade after Megamix), and the second and third volumes are one continuous story about the Stardroids invasion. And no, Dr. Wily doesn't command the Stardroids in this comic.
I finally finished collecting the last volume of Gigamix last week, coincidentally. In short, if you like Megamix, you will like Gigamix. The first volume of Gigamix in particular is absolutely loaded with unexpected shout-outs to the Mega Man franchise. Ariga has an amazing attention to detail and an obvious love for the Mega Man series.

My brother also thinks that Gigamix has some of the best depictions of Dr. Light and Dr. Wily.

So, I think they are definitely worth getting if you like manga and are a Mega Man fan.
Thanks guys! I'll pick all of them up. I knew I forgot to look for something when I went to the bookstore and I had a nagging feeling that it was in this thread. Grrr... Next time. Interesting that Wily doesn't command the Stardroids this time around though. Wonder if they're just acting on their own then. Noticed that Ariga spent a lot of time putting some neat stuff in Megamix and if Gigamix is improved on that, then it'll be interesting trying to look for all of the neat things in there.

qq more

In Project X Zone Tron said she's looking for rocket parts.

Goddamnit.

Assuming there's individual character endings (I don't know, I barely look up the game), Tron better have an ending where Volnutt comes back from the moon.

I've heard so much praise of Command Mission, but I've never played it myself as I really don't play tactics games. Will get to playing eventually to see what I missed.

I always heard mixed things about Command Mission, but I thought it was an okay RPG. It felt kind of too vanilla for Mega Man. I haven't played it in a longggg time though, so I have no idea how it holds up.

Top Bottom