• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

hiryu64

Hey, we should all play 8-bit Deathmatch and have a GAF server someday

Oh man, I used to play this a lot back in the day. It still has a very small community that plays -- mostly the site's forumgoers.

I would definitely be down for jumping back in if there were a GAF server.

Tizoc

Crush Crawfish is up there.

Edit: To be fair, you DO have to get into a certain position to lock him into the desired pattern, but then the fight is over.

Mind elaborating about Crawfish please? Is there a vid on YT that shows how easy he is to beat?

That reminds me, eons ago (as in during the early years of YT), I uploaded some recorded vids of me beating various Rockman bosses-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIh-RI62Sf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8-fSwVzbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6Van3E0Mc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G3tM0O5eNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyIsR_xkGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO46iMWNrOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFAerpik_ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16r7gBXGXxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ijHK4XKYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GloV5MsXLs0

2-Metal Man. Pretty easy level with two E Tanks in it. Fairly easy boss fight though Bubbleman is arguably easier but getting the Metal Blade first just makes things better.
I always tend to start with Flash Man, myself. Does delay you getting Metal Blade by two stages, admittedly, but Flash Man is pretty damn easy with the Mega Buster as I recall.

Also, you only get 4 choices in MM8 as well. While I agree with starting the second set with Aqua Man, I always started the first set with Clown Man; easy stage, pretty easy boss.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mind elaborating about Crawfish please? Is there a vid on YT that shows how easy he is to beat?
Be on the opposite wall from him but in line with his upward diagonal claw attack. He will send two things that will grab you and pull you down, but they only take you out of the path of the following claw attack. Jump back up to the same spot, and it will happen again. And again, and again. There's literally nothing you have to do but wall jump up and then land shots when you can.

Pietepiet

Started playing MM3 for the first time today. I'm now up to those MM2 throwback bosses (are all four from MM2? I only saw Metal Man so far). Do they have any weaknesses?

Tizoc

Speaking of Megaman 3, I read that there were stuff the dev team couldn't put into the game because they ran out of development time, anyone know more about this?

Started playing MM3 for the first time today. I'm now up to those MM2 throwback bosses (are all four from MM2? I only saw Metal Man so far). Do they have any weaknesses?
The Doc Robot segments? This is usually where I lose steam in Mega Man 3 playthroughs, honestly.

Speaking of Megaman 3, I read that there were stuff the dev team couldn't put into the game because they ran out of development time, anyone know more about this?

Well, I recall reading something about leftover data in the game on the Mechanical Maniac's site. The only thing I can remember right now is Rush Drill.

SkyOdin

I don't know the details, but according to the Cutting Room Floor, Mega Man 3 has an unusually large number of dummied out background objects and cutscene elements. There are even remnants of tiles that look like they could have been used for a Magnet Man stage version of a Doc Robot stage.

I also remember interviews and such that detailed that originally, the obstacles that Proto Man breaks in the final game were meant to be destroyed by a Rush Drill.

They do, I was playing it the other day but damn if I can remember any of them, I remember one weapon was surprisingly potent against a bunch of them. Also Flashman seemed like significantly more deadly than his usual chump self.

While we're talking about these stages, the sections that require Rush Jet and Marine are a tad flawed, they leave ammo in these sections so you wont just run out of juice and fall to your death but if you do or you just get killed by enemies then you've got a tougher road ahead as picked up ammo doesn't respawn, it's a nice idea but I don't feel it's executed that well, still it's not particularly tough either.
Funnily enough the game gets easier after these stages.

Something I mentioned in the other MM playthrough thread but I must repeat, good lord at the PAL version slowdown in MM3, Wood man might as well have invoked some sort of slow down ability as well as the leaves.

Something I mentioned in the other MM playthrough thread but I must repeat, good lord at the PAL version slowdown in MM3, Wood man might as well have invoked some sort of slow down ability as well as the leaves.
I don't think Leaf Shield will help you in Quick Man's stage against those lasers, though. :<

Pietepiet

Jesus, yes. It's nuts how much slowdown there is. I thought MM2 was bad sometimes..

Enker

Yes, they are all from MM2 and have weaknesses. However, Quick Man's weakness is Gemini Laser and/or Search Snake, which is just unfair.

I find Crash Man (Hard Knuckle in his face to hit him in the air when he jumps), Bubble Man (Spark Shot), Metal Man (Magnet Missiles - jump and shoot to win) easier then MM2.

Quick Man, Flash Man (Needle Cannon), Heat Man (Shadow Blade), Air Man (Spark Shot) and Wood Man (Needle Cannon) are harder then MM2 because the weaknesses are worse then in MM2 by far.

hiryu64

Coming to think of it MM2 slowdown in quick man's stage can be quite beneficial.
I think the rest of you are jealous of these more slowed down and mellow tunes.

Yikes, looks like the 60 Hz to 50 Hz transition had an interesting effect on the music. I know that if the games weren't optimized for 50 Hz this would be one of the side effects. Athough technically, the slower music was a side effect of the overall slowdown from the transition; the ENTIRE GAME ran at 5/6 the original speed!

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=ZmMXA7FpR_U

In other news, I did yet another X2 cover. I fear this might become a thing for me and I'll have the entirety of the X2 OST demade!
[plug]So looks like you'd best subscribe![/plug]
:eek:

Mega Man X2 - Zero (NES Demix)

Mega Man X3 Barebones run starting momentarily. Now with 100% more PS1/PC/Sat tunes.

It's my second favorite of the 16-bit games, but I often forget a lot of details about it. Especially the Sigma stages...

Personal opinion, but X3 SNES is waaaay superior. Maybe it's just the fact that I played that one first, but the sound and music just feels a lot more powerful. Watching now! :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mega Man X3 Barebones run starting momentarily. Now with 100% more PS1/PC/Sat tunes.

It's my second favorite of the 16-bit games, but I often forget a lot of details about it. Especially the Sigma stages...
I've been half-watching and listening to this while playing Xillia. It's good entertainment. :p

And as I post this you go boom. :/

Edit: Noi, you're getting sloppy. Also next time we need to count how many times you've had to read that boss intro text box.

I don't wanna double post, so...

Good job, Noi! Are you going to do X4 next?

Noi

Good job, Noi! Are you going to do X4 next?

That's the plan! X4 and X5 are my most unknowledgeable games in the series, much more so playing them barebones, so I might as well be going in blind, haha. I've never been as big a fan of the look of the PS1 games as I am the SNES ones, nor the slight change in physics, so I don't tend to replay them as much. Doesn't help that 2/3 of the games have issues.

And like I mentioned multiple times on streams, I will forever have my own cycle with X3. I don't know why I like it as much as I do, especially after how playing it just now reminded me of how rough it is. Then again, it doesn't have Violen 2, so that probably earns it a few extra points.

Noi

Good job, Noi. I hope you didn't die after beating Kaiser Sigma.

iloCugDiwE9FX.gif

hiryu64

ROFL. I closed the stream after many repeated attempts against Sigma (though I did see you attempt Kaiser a few times). So did you or didn't you end up clearing the game? I'm guessing that's a no...

Oh, and I tried a barebones X3 run myself after watching you. Managed to get up to Doppler 1 in an hour flat, but then raged on Bit/Byte. Much respect to you, dude; it's a lot harder than it sounds.

SkyOdin

I for one find actually getting Zero's Saber harder than beating Kaiser Sigma. Whenever I tried to beat that boss with Zero, I died within a few seconds. On the other hand, Kaiser Sigma isn't so bad, with the right strategy. I find that the cross-over wave is pretty good against him.

I have never even attempted a bare-bones run at an X game, though. Congrats to Noi for pulling off several of them now.

Mega Man X4 is probably my most played X game. Back when I first got it though, I was pretty bad at it. I could never beat Colonel at the half-way point. To remedy that, I concocted a route through the game to acquire the maximum number of upgrades before beating four Mavericks. It added up to just about everything other than the helmet. I've gotten batter at Mega Man game since, but I still enjoy grabbing everything as early as possible like that.

Good luck at beating X4 without all that stuff, Noi, you're braver than I am.

Noi

ROFL. I closed the stream after many repeated attempts against Sigma (though I did see you attempt Kaiser a few times). So did you or didn't you end up clearing the game? I'm guessing that's a no...

Oh, and I tried a barebones X3 run myself after watching you. Managed to get up to Doppler 1 in an hour flat, but then raged on Bit/Byte. Much respect to you, dude; it's a lot harder than it sounds.

Oh, I did beat the game. I just died once after beating Kaiser, and it took.. I wanna say an hour and a half more to beat him again and actually escape. It helped that I beat both Sigma AND Kaiser Sigma without getting hit. ._.

Good luck at beating X4 without all that stuff, Noi, you're braver than I am.

I've been told that X4 will be much more straightforward and simple than X2 and X3, but it's X5 and X6 where my motivation takes a nosedive. I better get the booze ready.

Would the potential X6 run involve no parts? Because IIRC doing a naked run without Jumper and Hyper Dash is literally impossible.

I'll make it possible.

...Yeah, I mentioned before that I'm not even sure if I want to do a naked run on X6. If I do, It'll be of course use the bare minimum parts required, since like you said, some parts ARE required.

SkyOdin

Hey MMBN fans, remember this asshole?

wqdlK.jpg

:V

Wow, it has been so long since I played BN3 that I can barely remember if that fight annoyed me or not. I do remember that his operator was one of the better characters from that game though.

Of course, the Battle Network series is completely loaded with obnoxious enemies.

Azure J

Hey MMBN fans, remember this asshole?

wqdlK.jpg

:V

One of the only times where god mode felt satisfying. Armor piercing shots from HubBatch, few busted ass PAs, Area Steals, that one chip that made all panels sandy and Wood Custom style, fuck yea.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Played through X4 barebones for the first time in years today to refresh my memory before Noi challenges it. Going to just post notes here for future reference:

(Order is actually arbitrary after Frost Walrus, it's just when I completed them myself)
Frost Walrus

Go up at the start of the level to farm lives. Skilled wall jump required.

Boss is pretty much like a slower, easier to hit, and less threatening Blizzard Buffalo. Typically the boss people beat first anyway so nothing to really say about it.

Slash Beast

There's a heart tank in your path in Area 2 that you must take care to not collect. Otherwise fairly straightforward.

Boss randomly selects one of a small set of actions, one of which is literally do nothing but growl. Twin projectile attack can be dashed under. Leaps can be dashed under on reaction, and his ground charge is telegraphed.

Split Mushroom

Stage is annoying.

Boss is tricky, but you can afford to trade some hits. Will immediately go on the left wall to spawn energy clones. Bait and dodge. Will then split into two. Keep track of the real one, pummel with charge shots, hop and evade as necessary. Forgot how to avoid the spin attack entirely but ultimately this is where point one applies.

Jet Stingray

Stage is a pain. There is also a heart tank (area 1) and subtank (area 2) along the way that you have to avoid although they are out of your way to begin with.

When Stingray shoots out little stingrays, you MUST destroy them as they come out with two charged shots or they will turn a simple perfect into a likely loss. Otherwise change sides when he dives down then up. Watch to see what he does when he comes down so you can be ready to stuff. Sometimes he'll go down to try to suck you in but it's not an issue.

Repliforce Colonel

This version of the fight is pretty straightforward. Jump over his blasts while landing hits. When he teleports he's going to do a surprise strike in your face with delayed timing.

Magma Dragoon

He has dragon punches, hadoukens, dive kicks, beam attacks, and yet...

He easily dies to being lame. Just stay on the wall and shoot at range taking care to not let him blast the lava under you and to dodge when he dps you.

Cyber Peacock

Stage sections will rank you on completion time and then branch the level based on your rank. S rank will put you into rooms with a heart tank or sub tank, but you can avoid taking them when given the opportunity.

Peacock is kinda like near death cyber sigma but easier and with lower stakes. Walk back and forth, dash away when it's time for him to teleport onto you, shoot him, rinse, repeat. Eventually he'll teleport into the air to send homing missiles at you but if you landed enough hits prior to this you can just not care and land the last handful of hits to kill him as you take damage yourself. Otherwise, they're pretty fast and you gotta make them change direction to shake them.

Web Spider

Kind of like an X3 boss. Gameplan is really simple but mistakes will cost you huge chunks of health.

At first he'll come down and then shoot a homing energy web at you. Stay directly under him, dash when he's about to throw it out, jump back toward him a little to land a hit while evading the web. After a while of this leaves will fall down and then he'll come to fill the screen with a web to move around on. The web itself doesn't hurt you, and during this he'll go into a fixed rotation of throwing four spiderlings like Bospider then two web throws then back to spiderlings.

Storm Owl

Take care not to get the heart tank under the first ID4 saucer.

Ok, this fight actually requires you to pay attention. He goes through a lot of possible attacks, all with variations.

- Flies onto the screen from the side he last exited and will try to approach you
- Grabs you with his talons and ground slams you
- Does a flyby while shooting an aimed projectile.
- Goes into a corner to shoot three yellow beams at you
- Will summon four projectiles onscreen then have them fire at your current position
- Goes into a low corner to produce a group of three screen-high whirlwinds at arbitrary positions
- Goes into center of the screen then goes into Gradius boss mode by spamming projectiles out into four streams that then start rotating clockwise for a while then possibly counterclockwise before stopping.

In general, making use of the upper platform is key. It makes dodging his stuff easier although you can't let yourself just camp on top. When he does the yellow beams (which aren't actually beams but repeated shots with afterimages) you need to be holding onto the side of the platform. Wall hopping on the side is also important when he does the four projectiles as it'll let you bait then fall. Whirlwinds can be dodged on reaction. You must be on the right side of the screen when he begins Gradius mode because the top of the platform is inside his hitbox.

This fight also demonstrated to me that I hadn't really mastered playing MMX on stick yet. I was playing well enough to beat other bosses, but not this boss. For example, I kept botching the jumps to get on the platform and I wasn't comfortable enough snapping directions to land a shot on the fly. After 10-15 attempts on Storm Owl as well as a few moments in other stages figuring certain control issues out(like to remember not to release the towards-wall direction until after hitting dash~jump), things started to really click and I'm almost to where I used to be on pad.

So yeah, good times.

Repliforce Colonel II

Ok, now his beams block your shot while traveling faster, so you now have to treat this part like X3 Sigma 1. You can't get hurt by being up on the wall, but take care to not touch the wall when hopping over the second beam to dash under the third as it'll keep you from doing it in time. His surprise slash is a tad more annoying. He also does a he-man lighting attack but just shoot him when he lifts his sword, hop when he stabs the ground, and stay between the regularly spaced up shots.

Mystery Boss!

Ok, it's just Double. He will do a two stage charge attack, first diving to the middle of the screen, then charging at your side. You will fall if you're on the wall when he hits it, I think. He will also throw out a spinning disc so be on the ground so he doesn't block your ability to walljump away from his charge. Eventually he'll start throwing out two discs.

Note about the stage part after: when you're given the option to go up or down, go down because going up requires upgrades.

Repliforce General

Only slightly more difficult than Crush Crawfish. There are intro stage bosses that pose more of a threat.

Reaper Sigma

Gotta use Rising Fire because it's the only thing that damages him. Shoot, Shoot, dodge, repeat. Yawn.

Sigma

Like a lower stakes X3 boss. This guy can be a royal pain in the ass, but when you know what's going on and how to handle it he becomes incredibly easy to kill with a perfect. First, he'll jump into the air then throw his scythe into a spin that goes from where he's facing, down to the ground, and then back to him from behind. It leaves a gap in the corner he's not facing so just dash there when he throws it. Then he'll jump into the air again and then throw the scythe where you are which then embeds the scythe into the wall or floor. Do NOT let him throw it into the floor. Just wall jump up and bait him into throwing it into the wall. The scythe will then start electrifying the wall as Sigma jumps back to then shoot laser eyes covering the entire floor. THIS IS OK. Just jump onto the wall behind him, slide down, land hits. His hitbox isn't as big as you'd expect, and the hand he has next to the wall won't hit you at all. After this he'll do the swooping throw again, repeating the cycle.

Oh, and what happens if he scythes the floor? While it electrifies the floor, Sigma will shoot four homing boomerangs at you. It's a pain to deal with and shouldn't happen in the first place!

Final Sigma

Flow of the match is like this:

1. Red/Blue/Yellow head.
2. Old man head in the bottom left corner.
3. Red/Blue/Yellow head.
4. Big gun guy in top right corner.
5. Go to 1

Red head - Shoots waves of flame at you from the left. Just wall jump up on the heads to the right over the first two waves then fall down before the last two.
Blue head - Wait for it to approach from the right then wall jump over it.
Yellow head - The hard one. It'll shoot electric balls that then spread out when they hit a surface. Just try to go from one side of the room to the other, because dodging them while staying in one place is difficult.

From what I can tell, where you're located when this stage starts influences what head is spawned, but I'm not certain. For example, if you're in the middle of the room then it'll probably be red or blue, but if you've been on the wall then it'll likely be yellow.

Old man head will either:
- Produce wind to push you into spikes that appear on the right wall. This is good because all you have to do is dash toward him and land hits.
- Spawn a blue and red head on the ground with spikes pointing toward the old man head, then he'll suck in garbage before spitting it out. This is bad, as without plasma shot you don't have a reliable way of shielding yourself. However, you can escape his exhale by being in the top right corner, but this tends to produce a yellow head after.

Big gun guy will fire beams in your location. Just be high so you can bait his aim more easily while landing hits. If this phase starts with him saying "THE END" then get up to the top ASAP because he'll blast the entire lower half of the room.

To be honest, I ran out of time before I was able to actually win, so I'm unclear on a few key points, especially with the garbage part of the old man head. I DO remember it being possible, I just forget how exactly.

Man, these 0% runs sound like hell. I thought the game was hard enough with all the upgrades...

(Off-topic, but Hitokage's name isn't red.)

If you're able to beat X4 with Zero then you're already a great deal of the way towards being able to do without with X.
I'm trying to remember if I ever did, actually. I remember Sigma being a huge pain in the ass as Zero compared to X, partciularly the final phase. I never did personally figure out his weakness, although a huge Zero fan told me, later on, that it was
the fire uppercut
for at least one of those forms.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm trying to remember if I ever did, actually. I remember Sigma being a huge pain in the ass as Zero compared to X, partciularly the final phase. I never did personally figure out his weakness, although a huge Zero fan told me, later on, that it was
the fire uppercut
for at least one of those forms.
Zero has advantages in that fight that barebones X does not, but the reverse is true for other bosses in the game, like Dragoon and the general.

Top Bottom