• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh, right, before I completely forget...

Megaman X5

Shadow Devil

Ok, this guy actually has five block patterns. Three of them are as listed before, and the other two he doesn't start using until he's under half health. They're the ones where it stops midway and sends blocks back and forth. It's not just an arbitrary interruption, because they start differently than the normal three patterns to begin with.

When he goes into tank mode you need to take utmost care in not touching him. Dashjump off the wall when he charges, and dash under when it hops.

Get everything down, and he'll fall.

Virus Stage 2

This is hard and annoying but fairly straightforward, even the X1 Sigma stage 1 climb reprise.

Rangda Bangda II

Rules of this fight are the same as before, except each color is considered a separate entity regardless of the side they appear. Don't kill the nose first or you'll be stuck with the walls closed in.

Red eye: Shoots a stream of fire upwards and downwards, then this rotates so that you'll have to make a pixel perfect wall dashjump to avoid getting hit.

Green eye: Shoots a stream of destructible projectiles directly at you. You'll need to start on one side, fire a charged shot to hit it while stuffing the stream, then make your way to the other side so you can dodge the rest.

Blue eye: Moves out and tries to ram you. Not really that big of a deal.

Nose: Instead of moving in a predictable zigzag pattern, now it moves only in cardinal directions in a semi-homing fashion. First it will move to your elevation if it's not already there, then move to your side of the screen. It will continue doing this for a set time or number of moves before moving DIRECTLY to its resting position, so even if you go under to dodge it before then it can still hit you.

All of that isn't too bad, but when he gets under half health, things get serious. Immediately after the walls close in, instant death spikes will appear on either the top or bottom half of both walls. This is random and can include instant death spikes on the top half of both sides. While they retract after a brief moment, if you don't react in time you get screwed. In the worse case where both tops are spiked, then you must fall into the nose to trade health for invincibility. Avoiding damage enough to do this is the crux of the fight.

Virus Stage 3

Nothing special.

MYSTERY BOSS

Ok, apparently the way I was playing the game keeps Zero from going maverick, and it wouldn't turn out differently after several restarts to the save point just before Virus Stage 1. Oh well.

Normal Zero

Basically run for the opposite wall and slowly slide down and land hits. He has an attack that will strike the entire screen at regular distance intervals but the chances of it hitting you when you're on the wall are pretty low. That is, if you keep his movements to a good back and forth pattern.

Sigma Stage

In this boss rush everyone has screen high life bars. This will change the nature of many fights because of just how long you have to remain alive before you can get the kill. Even simple bosses like the Skiver can kill you in one bad hit and the huge life advantage keeps him in the game.

Been playing X4 recently, and it's as fun as I've always remembered.

But man is Sigma's last form(s) a bitch to fight with X. Been stuck on this for the last half hour. >_>

How bizarre; I totally do not remember there being two Arm parts in X4, and yet apparently there are.

I need to beat this game again, it's been far too long.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I did, which is kinda weird since I'm pretty sure I used to usually go for the Plasma Shot instead. Guess I was trying to switch things up this time, heh.
You can beat the game without any arm upgrade at all, but the plasma shot's residual hitbox makes the debris part infinitely easier and thus the entire fight as a whole.

You can beat the game without any arm upgrade at all, but the plasma shot's residual hitbox makes the debris part infinitely easier and thus the entire fight as a whole.

Yeah, that's the one part that's been killing me. When that phase initiates the wind attack, I can manage, but if Sigma decides to use the debris, things just get really problematic for me.

Not sure how I'm going to go about this with Zero, heh.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, that's the one part that's been killing me. When that phase initiates the wind attack, I can manage, but if Sigma decides to use the debris, things just get really problematic for me.
I honestly forget how to deal with it, but one thing you can do is get up to the top right corner. Unfortunately this usually triggers a yellow head.

Noi

X4 has always been really forgettable to me. I remember more about X5 and X6 than I do X4, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, it's a great game but for some reason I have the same problem with X4 too. The only X games I remember less about are the ones I haven't played (7 and 8) :/

Finally beat him, the Plasma Shots made for great stationary shields of sorts.

X4 has always been really forgettable to me. I remember more about X5 and X6 than I do X4, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

X3's always been the forgettable one for me. X4 left a mark on me as a kid because "Holy shit fully playable Zero" and "Holy shit animated cutscenes" whereas I actually forget a few of the mavericks in X3 from time to time. (Still a great game, though!)

qq more

I was never that fond of X3. I thought it was the weakest of the first 4 X games. It's a good game though. Am I the only one?

Kokonoe

Banned
I've only played through X1-5, but as for "least memorable", I'd probably say X5. But...I can't say that because I will never forget Alia's consistent messages and Kraken and attempting that Zero Virus stage without the gravity thing you're suppose to use.

So, not really sure if that applies for me with the X series, but out of the ones I played X5 is the lowest of the first 5. X1 and X4 are my favorites. I hear people say X6 is pretty bad, I'll get it to it eventually.

hiryu64

I was never that fond of X3. I thought it was the weakest of the first 4 X games. It's a good game though. Am I the only one?

Nah, generally X3 is the most reviled of the original four. I've seen many even go so far as to say it's one of the worst, period, citing obscene difficulty and uninspired music as big reasons.

Personally, I think they're all full of it, as X3 is one of my favorites (SNES version, though. Seriously, fuck the PC/Saturn/PS music and sounds).

Kokonoe

Banned
If I never lost my X collection I would have beat X2 and X3, but I didn't get enough sub tanks and Sigma creamed me. But with my PSP I shall change this.

I still need to play Xtreme 1 as well, I grew up with Xtreme 2 and it's a blast.

Noi

Nah, generally X3 is the most reviled of the original four. I've seen many even go so far as to say it's one of the worst, period, citing obscene difficulty and uninspired music as big reasons.

Personally, I think they're all full of it, as X3 is one of my favorites (SNES version, though. Seriously, fuck the PC/Saturn/PS music and sounds).

X3 is obscenely difficult? Christ, people suck at Mega Man.

qq more

Interesting, I know so many people that tells me X3 is the best of the SNES series. Glad I'm not alone in thinking it's not that great. But I have to disagree with those criticisms. X3's music is pretty good, the difficulty isn't that much tougher than X1/X2's and it's definitely not the worst overall (did people actually considered X3 worse than X6 and X7?!)

hiryu64

If I recall, I think a lot of complaints came from the amount of damage that enemies/bosses do, which I can kinda understand. And some of those levels were admittedly pretty long. But it still managed to be probably my favorite of the entire bunch.

Again, though, only the SNES version. Disc version can die in a fire. So much hate for the "updated" sounds and music.
LLShC.gif

I always found X6 to be the the most difficult game in the series. Outside of Sigma, I never really had much of a problem with anything in X3.

Again, though, only the SNES version. Disc version can die in a fire. So much hate for the "updated" sounds and music.
LLShC.gif

Yeah, I hated that the X Collection used the PS1/Saturn version of the game. On the bright side, the arranged version of Toxic Seahorse's stage is one of the best tracks in the series.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hmm, I need to get a new PS2 controller cause I could stream my playthrough of the first two X games since I have X collection again for PS2. (edit I may be able to use my current PS2 controller)

-EDIT-

What was everyone's introduction to the Mega Man series? I believe mine was the cartoon, but my first time playing a game was X1 for SNES. I believe I was 6 years old at the time and my friend brought it over as I watched him play it. He kept losing to the Launch Octopus boss and handed my other friend the controller and he lost as well. They then let me have a try and I died the first time, but some how managed to beat the Launch Octopus the second time which kinda surprises me to this day. No idea how I pulled that off.

Yeah, I hated that the X Collection used the PS1/Saturn version of the game. On the bright side, the arranged version of Toxic Seahorse's stage is one of the best tracks in the series.

Toxic Seahorse is just an awesome song period. I like it when I see guitar covers of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxqqSlYKQ0

I'd like to find some more mixes.

qq more

What was everyone's introduction to the Mega Man series? I believe mine was the cartoon, but my first time playing a game was X1 for SNES. I believe I was 6 years old at the time and my friend brought it over as I watched him play it. He kept losing to the Launch Octopus boss and handed my other friend the controller and he lost as well. They then let me have a try and I died the first time, but some how managed to beat the Launch Octopus the second time which kinda surprises me to this day. No idea how I pulled that off.

That's amazing. I still struggle a bit against him to this day and I've beaten the game many times.

My first introduction to the series was the American cartoon series as well. But my first game ended up being Mega Man Battle Network 3. I eventually got into the platformers series with Mega Man X4 thanks to its awesome music. Current favorite Mega Man game is still Mega Man 2. It really does hold up well!

My first game was Mega Man 3, I think, followed by II on GB. My older sister got a SNES with Earthworm Jim and Mega Man X not too long after, and that ended up being the game I played the most.

I could never really get into the Battle Network series for some reason, though.

Sciz

I've got fond memories of renting MM6 from the local Blockbuster for fifty cents. Still one of my favorites.

My first copy of Nintendo Power was the Mega Man II issue. It was an effective advertisement.

I rented it from a local gas station (you could do that back in ancient times), and I think I spent the next 2 weeks playing almost nonstop until I beat it. The only game that took me longer was Blaster Master, probably a month for that one, but technically 6 since I had to rent it 3 times.

The game had a lasting impression. I think it instilled a lifelong appreciation for experimentation, non-linear progress, efficient, meaningful level design, minimalist art, and a realization that game music could be awesome.

Noi

I'd played bits and pieces of MMX before, but MMX3 PC was the first one I actually owned and played. It's probably the sole reason why I like the re-done "new" music in it more than the SNES originals, as well as why I look back on it fondly despite not being all that great, haha.

I do remember my biggest MM-gift dissapointment. Mom got me a toy from the cartoon when I was a kid, and I was excited cause I saw the MEGA MAN logo as I unwrapped it. Then had to fake excitement when I saw it was this guy. :(

Misguided

Banned
Okay, having trouble with Mega Man 2.

On the first Dr. Wily stage, you need to be able to use Item 1 for floating platforms to get across this huge gap to reach a ladder. However, this item doesn't seem to be replenishable...or is it? It seems like I have to kill myself until game over to get all of my stats back if I mess up, which I have quite a few times. Any other way to do this?

Tizoc

Anyone read Megaman #20?
...and seeing as the Megaman and Sonic crossover is within 4-5 months...aer they seriously gonna try and wrap up Megaman 3 in 4 issues? WITH THAT MANY ROBOT MASTERS?!

Okay, having trouble with Mega Man 2.

On the first Dr. Wily stage, you need to be able to use Item 1 for floating platforms to get across this huge gap to reach a ladder. However, this item doesn't seem to be replenishable...or is it? It seems like I have to kill myself until game over to get all of my stats back if I mess up, which I have quite a few times. Any other way to do this?

Mainly you go back and kill crap over and over again for weapon energy, although tbh it's sometimes faster to just die and start over :p

The trick is to to do a full jump to the left and fire the item in mid jump. You'll get the most distance between them, and you'll know you've timed it right because you'll land on the platform at the top of the jump.

No, they're just telling you to move to Planet X and fight there for everlasting peace.

Disregard that it was reduced to a single asteroid by Duck Dodgers.

Top Bottom