• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

"You wanted a Mega Man game, you clamored for it, and now we can deliver... Announcing
Mega Man 7 on Virtual Console!
"

I dunno, I can see Capcom getting the wrong idea entirely here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Maybe this will gauge enough interest for a new Mega Man game in the future.
It's Nintendo's crossover game IP, and I doubt that the amount of copies sold would translate into interest for a Capcom IP. People could be purchasing or intending to purchase the game for other reasons.

Regardless, I think the model's cute. Nendoroid, please.

qq more

It's Nintendo's crossover game IP, and I doubt that the amount of copies sold would translate into interest for a Capcom IP. People could be purchasing or intending to purchase the game for other reasons.

Pretty sure Melee was the reason Fire Emblem got localized in the first place.

I know it's a bit wishful thinking, but it's possible.

qq more

Fire Emblem is whose IP again? :p

That doesn't matter! The hype around Mega Man being in Smash could spread awareness.

Plus the hype surrounding the inclusion would make Capcom realize that Mega Man does have a sizable fan base. (They pretty much at some point stated that no one cares about Mega Man)

Well, it could happen, I guess. Same thing happened with Strider 2 and Marvel Vs. Capcom 1. (Granted, I don't know if Strider 2 ended up selling all that well, but yeah.)

The moment it closed up to the silhouette... I knew it was Mega Man just without the helmet. I wasn't too sure but then the helmet appeared then I FLIPPED THE FUCK OUT

That was exactly me. No joke, I was literally screaming and crying at that moment.

The way he is being represented is just amazing (even though he looks like he'll be a little awkward to use), and I really love how his design seems to be a chibified version of Ariga's.

So I got Mega Man 2 on the WiiU virtual console and I have to ask, who on earth balanced this game? Seriously I believe this is supposed to be the weapon -> boss that's weak to it chart

Flash -> Quick

Quick -> Metal

Metal -> Bubble

Bubble -> Heat

Heat -> Wood

Wood -> Air

Air -> Crash

Crash -> Flash

Then you look at a damage chart and go WTF

Crash takes out Flash, Wood, and Quick in 7 shots

Metal takes out Metal in 1!, flash and bubble in 8 shots

Air takes out wood in 8, crash in 4, and quick in 7 shots

Heat 1 takes out nothing extra fast

Heat 3 on the other hand takes out Metal in 7, Flash and Air in 4, Wood in 2, Crash in 5, and Quick in 3

Seriously how the heck did this happen?

PKrockin

I think the intention was to have bosses with 2 weaknesses.

But, yeah, Metal Blade is completely broken and the balance is fucked

Solune

I think this crossover will open up possibilities in the way that, they may be willing to do their own take on the Crossover with Nintendo, or perhaps something ala SMT x FE. But with this it's finally a faithful transition to HD unlike the unfortunate tragedy of SFxT.

Also would buy Nendo!

Capcom will pay Villager a hefty amount of Bells to cancel Mega Man

TtaDMgE.jpg

SkyOdin

I am just excited about Mega Man being in Super Smash Bros. He is the character I was really disappointed didn't make it into Brawl, and I am happy that they fixed that oversight. I don't care who else they announce for Smash Bros. now, I am happy with the cast list.

My typical boss order in MM2 goes:
Metal->Wood->Air->Crash
I can tackle Bubble or Flash anytime after Metal, Quick anytime after Flash, and Heat anytime after Air and Bubble (since I can't make those stupid jumps without Item-2).

I actually like that MM2 doesn't have a standard boss progression. It feels fresh coming back and playing it after playing other Mega Man games. I think more games in the series should have mixed up their structure like that. It was one of the few advantages I will give MM2 over 3 and 4.

MMX was also broke the mold a bit, since the key element you need to beat one boss is actually the dash boots, which means beating Chill Penguin opened up two other bosses to beat easily. That makes going through MMX a bit less structured than the typical boss loop.

Videoneon

for MM2 I go:

Flash Man (so I can have Time Stopper, that way I don't have to wait in segments of Air Man and Metal Man's stage, waiting sucks)
Quick Man (Boomerangs are good for certain enemies like those spring ones on the ground, but Bubble Lead is an alternative)
Metal Man
Bubble Man
Heat Man (got that disappearing block segment down)
Wood Man
Air Man (weapon is great against some like the Sniper Joes in the mechs, useless against others)
Crash Man (this weapon sucks, so I fight this guy last)

This is an optimal run for me because it satisfies my compulsion to create a continuous loop of weaknesses. Assuming you don't get Game Over, you can get four e-tanks to prepare you for a Skull Castle run if you need them.

Weaknesses absolutely demolish bosses in this game. Using Metal Blade against Flash Man and Bubble Man, Air Shooter against Crash Man, it's just sad. Whereas in MMX the bosses get helplessly stunned (most X series bosses' weakness leave them helpless anyway, rare exception is Infinity Mijinion and perhaps some X7 fights because a lot of them are structured awkwardly), the bosses in MM2 barely have any invincibility after getting attacked. Plus, a lot of MM2 weapons are spammable, unlike future games.

---

In other news, that Mega Man in Smash Bros thing sounds like good stuff. I was pretty convinced that there wouldn't be differences in roster between the two versions, but now I have doubt =(

Of course, they will not touch Mega Man. I was actually one of the people who thought, when first watching the Direct: "who the hell is that...Astro Boy? why is Astro Boy there?....oh, damn, score one for missing the obvious...."

Also, I've said it elsewhere, and I'm not the first, but he looks AMAZING. Much better than the Mega Man Universe look. I can't remember the last in-game appearance he made anywhere, but this is a nice depiction of new-gen Mega Man Classic.

PKrockin

MMX was also broke the mold a bit, since the key element you need to beat one boss is actually the dash boots, which means beating Chill Penguin opened up two other bosses to beat easily. That makes going through MMX a bit less structured than the typical boss loop.
I actually hated that you had to get the dash in Chill Penguin. I always, always have to go there first since it's so essential. Thankfully X starts with the dash in later games...

PKrockin

Well, you don't NEED the dash to beat the other Mavericks in MMX.... :p
I don't need to charge the X Buster to beat the game either, but it's such a central mechanic it really should be available from the beginning.

Goes double for when I'm trying to race through the game as fast as possible (and why would you play it any other way?)

Noi

Haha, well, I'm just saying that all the Maverick stages in MMX were designed to be cleared without the boots, having them just makes things a lot easier. MMX is pretty easy overall, so I usually make Chill Penguin the last Maverick I beat to spice things up. The maverick fights play out a LOT differently when you don't have such an easy escape maneuver.

PKrockin

Haha, well, I'm just saying that all the Maverick stages in MMX were designed to be cleared without the boots, having them just makes things a lot easier. MMX is pretty easy overall, so I usually make Chill Penguin the last Maverick I beat to spice things up. The maverick fights play out a LOT differently when you don't have such an easy escape maneuver.
Yeah, the thing is I get the feeling the point of the X series was to make Mega Man play faster and more agile. It's like playing Kirby 64 without mixing copy abilities or something :|

Tizoc

No they haven't

It looks like it to me: Same emotionless face expression, when he gets hit his model resembles the same sprite animation in the 8-bit games, just about every animation I've seen so far greatly resemble the 8-bit sprite's animation.

Like I said earlier, MMX is hardly the first game where a weakness completely overwhelms a boss. ;)

I know lol my issue is in MMX and MM1 each boss has one clear weakness and all the other weapons just do normal damage to them. MM2 some bosses have so many weakness and are so weak they might as well just die when I walk in the room.

Zen

Banned
They made Megaman in Smash look TOO much like his 8-bit sprite though...

Really? This is kind of the first time I've ever seen his 8-bit sprite so well realized in higher definition. We've had a gabillion differing renditions of the original Blue Bomber when it comes to proportions, I don't see the problem. Well, I see your point on him looking emotionless, but still!

It looks like it to me: Same emotionless face expression, when he gets hit his model resembles the same sprite animation in the 8-bit games, just about every animation I've seen so far greatly resemble the 8-bit sprite's animation.

Personally, I fail to see a problem with that and actually like it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Megaman in Smash was my most wanted character, and is my personal E3 megaton.

As for MM2 orders, I usually go Metal->Air->Wood->the rest.

Never stopped them from cancelling games before!

Same. Ultraton!

I think from what was shown, my favorites are Flame Sword > Hard Knuckle > Slash Claw

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I know lol my issue is in MMX and MM1 each boss has one clear weakness and all the other weapons just do normal damage to them. MM2 some bosses have so many weakness and are so weak they might as well just die when I walk in the room.
Actually...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwekK2HpMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOz0chP_FcE

PKrockin said:
I don't need to charge the X Buster to beat the game either, but it's such a central mechanic it really should be available from the beginning.
In X1 they wanted to introduce the dash mechanic while easing MM fans into it. That's why level and boss design accommodates both.

Goes double for when I'm trying to race through the game as fast as possible (and why would you play it any other way?)
Playing fast is fine, but speed running an X game is pretty pointless overall.

Top Bottom