• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Xtreme and Xtreme 2 are just horribly dated, for their time they did a fantastic job of emulating the mega man x experience on the game boy color a system with only 2 face buttons and a start/select. X7 was received poorly the day it was released, Xtreme 1 and 2 were received well.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't think Xtreme 2 is dated at all, the only issue is that you can't dash with a button, it honestly is pretty great for the system it's on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well I can't argue with personal opinions lol especially when my personal opinions on the Mega Man franchise would result in a bit more rage lol
If you said that Rockman & Forte 2: Mirai Kara no Chousensha were your favourite game in the classic series, we'd need to have a little talk, dear.

If you said that Rockman & Forte 2: Mirai Kara no Chousensha were your favourite game in the classic series, we'd need to have a little talk, dear.

Nah can't comment on a game I haven't played (looks awful though)

My controversial opinion is that in the classic 1-10 series mm2 is the game I enjoy the least

Kokonoe

Banned
I haven't played enough of all the classics yet, but so far my classic tier list is like this.

7 > 8 > MegaBassAdventures > 10 > 9 > 2 > 1 > 3

I didn't really dig 3 much for some reason, maybe I'll like 4.

My classic tier list is something along the lines of:

9 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 7 > 1 > 6 > 4 > 10 > 8

Haven't played the SNES version of Rockman & Forte yet. Turns out I didn't take out the tabs in the SNES that blocks SFC cartridges well enough, so until that gets sorted out, I can't play it.

Bass Playable Tier: Mega Man & Bass, Mega Man 10, Mega Man Power Battles, Mega Man Power Fighters

Bass Is In It Tier: Mega Man 7, Mega Man 8

Great Tier: Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4, Mega Man 5, Mega Man 6

Good Tier: Mega Man 1, Mega Man 2

SkyOdin

I pretty much think all of the console classic Mega Man games are about equal. They are all different, but most of them have good points that make up for the weaker parts.

Solune

Apologies if many of you have seen it but I was browsing Pixiv and found VOFAN's page where I spotted his contribution to MM's 25th, the composition itself is quite old now but I hadn't seen it before.

Also managed to get all the back issues I am missing for the Archie comics except for Sonic Universe #51 which I will be on the lookout for tomorrow.

Regarding MM25, the link I posted from Barnes and Noble keeps changing - the pre-order discount is back down to 32%, and the release date changed to September 10 even though I thought UDON had acknowledged August 28th. Oh well.

Capcom Unity is sharing some preview pages, as well as the final cover. Honey Woman was cute :p

hmzKAuQ.jpg

Just beat Mega Man X again though the WiiU VC (yeah $4 promotion) took about 80 min to get 100%. This is the first Mega Man game I ever played and the one I've beaten the most, at least 15+ times. I would post my "game is amazing" thoughts but I feel all the positive qualities of MMX1 have been over posted tons of times especially thanks to Egoraptors video. Instead I'll post the things I don't like about the original MMX, this is mostly nit picking because it's still an incredible game.

- X's buster makes the boss weapons mostly irrelevant, they are under powered in their default form and take too long to charge in their upgraded form. While playing though I looked for areas to use boss weapons and still it comes down to only a few that are of any use whatsoever (Lv1/Lv2 Storm Tornado, Lv1 Flame Wave, Lv2 Rolling Shield, Lvl 2 Chameleon Sting). With the exception of using boomerang cutter to grab 2 item upgrades the other weapons just sit doing nothing outside of boss battles where they trivialize things (most bosses can't even move if you spam their weakness)

- Vile and Zero are way under utilized in the game, while I do like the emphasis on gameplay with minimal story interruptions Vile and Zero are infinitely cooler that half the characters introduced later on in the MMX story line and it's a shame we don't get to interact with them more in this one. I also always felt robbed that after getting so much stronger I still have to job to Vile's armored form just for Zero to save the day.

- Ride armors were horribly under used, especially when you don't get to fight any kind of boss or mini boss in one.

For those who are curious my boss order is

Chill Penguin (For speed boots)
Storm Eagle (For helmet upgrade)
Flame Mammoth (for arm upgrade and weak to storm)
Spark Mandrill (weak to ice)
Armored Armadillo (weak to spark)
Launch Octopus (weak to r.shield)
Boomer Kuwanger (weak to h. missile)
Sting Chameleon (weak to boomerang and has armor upgrade).

Krelian

Chill Penguin (For speed boots)
Storm Eagle (For helmet upgrade)
Flame Mammoth (for arm upgrade and weak to storm)
Spark Mandrill (weak to ice)
Armored Armadillo (weak to spark)
Launch Octopus (weak to r.shield)
Boomer Kuwanger (weak to h. missile)
Sting Chameleon (weak to boomerang and has armor upgrade).
I approve of this order. It's the same I use everytime I play the game :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
- X's buster makes the boss weapons mostly irrelevant, they are under powered in their default form and take too long to charge in their upgraded form. While playing though I looked for areas to use boss weapons and still it comes down to only a few that are of any use whatsoever (Lv1/Lv2 Storm Tornado, Lv1 Flame Wave, Lv2 Rolling Shield, Lvl 2 Chameleon Sting). With the exception of using boomerang cutter to grab 2 item upgrades the other weapons just sit doing nothing outside of boss battles where they trivialize things
Sigma Stage 1 is easiest when you use boss weapons throughout the entire stage. Tornado, Shield, Flame, Missile, Sting(although not really that necessary), Shield, Missile, Flame/whatever, Ice.

You forgot Shotgun Ice bank shots. Also, there are more than two places to use Boomerang Cutter. I suppose Spark can also be used in place of Shield in vertical climb sections.

(most bosses can't even move if you spam their weakness)
Welcome to Mega Man. In the classic series they die even faster!

I always try other orders but I can't bring myself to try and function without the dash to start with.

Come to think of it, it was years before I realized Sting Chameleon's stage was different if you haven't finished Launch Octopus' stage.

Hahaha, same. It wasn't until I tried getting the heart from that stage ahead of when I usually do that I realized it. I was all like "WHY IS THIS JUMP SO HARD I DON'T REMEMBER EVER HAVING THAT MUCH TROUBLE WITH IT" and then it hit me.

Btw, when is 6 out for 3DS?

Sigma Stage 1 is easiest when you use boss weapons throughout the entire stage. Tornado, Shield, Flame, Missile, Sting(although not really that necessary), Shield, Missile, Flame/whatever, Ice.

You forgot Shotgun Ice bank shots. Also, there are more than two places to use Boomerang Cutter. I suppose Spark can also be used in place of Shield in vertical climb sections.

Welcome to Mega Man. In the classic series they die even faster!

All of that would be great if charged sting didn't make you invincible

And I've played all of the classic series, even with boss weakness they can still fight back a majority of the time, they just die faster. Mega man 7 was the first classic game I can think of where hitting a boss with its weakness caused it to fall and no do anything.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I always try other orders but I can't bring myself to try and function without the dash to start with.
Nothing in the first eight stages requires dash to advance. None of the eight bosses require dash to defeat.

Come to think of it, it was years before I realized Sting Chameleon's stage was different if you haven't finished Launch Octopus' stage.
Chill Penguin -> Flame Mammoth
Storm Eagle -> Spark Mandrill
Launch Octopus -> Sting Chameleon

And I've played all of the classic series, even with boss weakness they can still fight back a majority of the time, they just die faster. Mega man 7 was the first classic game I can think of where hitting a boss with its weakness caused it to fall and no do anything.
True it varies, but lack of invulnerability frames after hit leads to some pretty hilarious outcomes if you come into the room knowing exactly what weapon to use. Mash B for a second or two and the boss explodes.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Mega Man is my favorite franchise of all time. I have a great emotional attachment to it. My entire childhood was spent on this series. Outside of Mega Man 1, and unlike most fans, I actually believe that MM2-6 are amongst the greatest NES games ever released. Yes, I think each of these games is special. Even MM6. As such, I never understood the levels of derision levelled at some of these games.

IMO 3>9>5>4>10>2>6>7>8>RF>1

Don't get me wrong. MM2 is a masterpiece and a true monument in gaming, but I do believe MM3 is the better game and I enjoy replaying 4 and 5 more than it.

Videoneon

Interesting idea BassForever, I like it a lot.

this is mostly nit picking because it's still an incredible game.

- X's buster makes the boss weapons mostly irrelevant, they are under powered in their default form and take too long to charge in their upgraded form. While playing though I looked for areas to use boss weapons and still it comes down to only a few that are of any use whatsoever (Lv1/Lv2 Storm Tornado, Lv1 Flame Wave, Lv2 Rolling Shield, Lvl 2 Chameleon Sting). With the exception of using boomerang cutter to grab 2 item upgrades the other weapons just sit doing nothing outside of boss battles where they trivialize things (most bosses can't even move if you spam their weakness)

This is a problem with charge length and not the weapons. I think that this game is one of the best in the X series in terms of weapon balance and utility, and the length of time it takes to charge weapons/buster to the maximum sort of helps that. Storm Tornado is great but unlike the Xtreme and MHX versions it stays in place for a while before shooting forward, and there's little reason to use LV2 when you have stuff like Homing Torpedo. But it's great for uses similar to Max charged X-buster: long section of enemies, assuming you can keep up with the weapon as it moves. Hitokage brought up Sigma Stage 1, I agree. Electric Spark for the vertical sections, Torpedo for the climb into the fortress, Chameleon Sting has tons of WE and you can just go on invincibility autopilot if you're tired of putting up with BS. The weapons that I think are weakest are Shotgun Ice and Boomerang Cutter but they have situational uses.

And yeah, X series started the thing with bosses where if you hit them with their weakness, they get stunned and become helpless.

BassForever said:
- Vile and Zero are way under utilized in the game, while I do like the emphasis on gameplay with minimal story interruptions Vile and Zero are infinitely cooler that half the characters introduced later on in the MMX story line and it's a shame we don't get to interact with them more in this one. I also always felt robbed that after getting so much stronger I still have to job to Vile's armored form just for Zero to save the day.

I think Vile and Zero were pretty appropriately used for such a story minimal game. Vile was used to perfection IMO, he's not Sigma, but he's strong and him causing Zero's death was good. He's really just more of a nuisance in the later games but he has good capital with the fans, so...eh. Zero was used appropriately too I think. Your point about losing to Vile's armor again is interesting, now that I think about it. Like, I don't think it makes the game dumb, but it's just "really? I got stronger and such, but I can't take down Vile's shitty armor? What's it's made of that I can beat Sigma but not that armor?"

BassForever said:
- Ride armors were horribly under used, especially when you don't get to fight any kind of boss or mini boss in one.

Don't really feel like it's underutilization not to have a ride armor fight against a Maverick, it's just sort of a cool extra bonus is my opinion. IIRC the only fights with ride armor options are Magma Dragoon, Vanishing Gungaroo, and Bamboo Pandamonium, it didn't really matter to me that the other games didn't feature ride armor fights and they might cause stage design and boss fight design issues for some.

The game was good at getting your feet wet with them. In Chill Penguin's stage you can fight off the other Ride Armors and break Igloos to destroy the nests, in Sting Chameleon's stage you can avoid hoofing it over the swamp. I actually don't like Ride Armors in X3, they're just not useful enough outside of getting hidden stuff to warrant the focus the game gave them and the differences don't seem all that meaningful because IIRC there were one or two that were clearly better for the purpose of going through a stage. I suppose they were nice as additional extras.

BassForever[/quote said:

I always just went with the continuous circle: starting at Chill Penguin and ending at Flame Mammoth. There's a benefit to having Storm Tornado and Fire Wave early as they make short work of minibosses, but I don't personally need them much, and prefer taking out the bulldozer in Armored Armadillo's stage without them. Oh, and the Spark Mandrill miniboss without electricity does make him easier too, so that's another benefit.

---

That being said, here are some of my minor gripes:

-Not starting with the Dash. I think it was good that Capcom recognized this and included dashing in future games; not starting with the dash is so inferior because the game just moves so slowly. It may be fun as a handicap not to have it but I get more out of quickly destroying as much as I can.

-Password system. Passwords suck, I like file saving better. =P Future games got this right IMO, even Xtreme, but Xtreme games still screwed it up because passing through an autosave terminal resets your position, which is massively annoying as a gaming experience.

-Did we really need four Energy Tanks?

-Helmet upgrade is useless besides protecting you from rocks in Sting Chameleon's stage and getting the Arm upgrade.

SkyOdin

I can't recall a single instance aside from X4 where the Helmet upgrade wasn't useless. (Or in X3's case, a minor annoyance.)

The H head piece from X8 doubled the X Buster's charge speed. That was pretty good. The I head unit alternatively gave an rising attack whenever X jumped, which wasn't quite as good. All around, I think the X8 Armor sets were probably among the best in the series, even before you factor in the mix and match aspect.

Kokonoe

Banned
Mega Man X games usually start out pretty cool, but X3 is like perfection. I love X1's intro stage, don't get me wrong, but I'm not talking about that right now.

I went ahead and uploaded two unlisted videos to demonstrate.

MMX3 Intro Cutscene

This is honestly how games should start, or at least a lot more games need to take this approach because it puts you right in the action and it's not those type of cutscenes that aren't actual gameplay. This is all happening real time in the game, the music is amazing, and you see X fighting some insect robot thing in the sky then bam! Zero hops on and takes it out with slash and you fall down with the destroyed robot as it crashes down into the ground and shatters after being destroyed.

Zero Intro X3

Next you have this part. I mean...the music is just out of this world. You previously had that first cutscene where all this destruction and action is going on, putting you in the fray, and now you get up to this point where it's kind of surprising X gets captured and you're wondering what's going on. The ceiling begins to crumble and you finally get to play as Zero, with one of the coolest entrances ever.

This game already is trying to make you feel like a bad Magikarp, but then you're like insanely powerful at the first stage of the game.

I love X3 for this, it's the perfect type of motivation from the game to the player that I like to see.

"Maverick Hunters X and Zero

Dispatch!"

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh

qq more

X2 and X3 are some of the few games I'm aware of that shows how to do the opening cutscene right. Short, yet awesome and makes you feel badass. If by some miracle Capcom decides to make X9, I want them to pull this off again.

Solune

Mega Man X games usually start out pretty cool, but X3 is like perfection. I love X1's intro stage, don't get me wrong, but I'm not talking about that right now.

I went ahead and uploaded two unlisted videos to demonstrate.

MMX3 Intro Cutscene

This is honestly how games should start, or at least a lot more games need to take this approach because it puts you right in the action and it's not those type of cutscenes that aren't actual gameplay. This is all happening real time in the game, the music is amazing, and you see X fighting some insect robot thing in the sky then bam! Zero hops on and takes it out with slash and you fall down with the destroyed robot as it crashes down into the ground and shatters after being destroyed.

Zero Intro X3

Next you have this part. I mean...the music is just out of this world. You previously had that first cutscene where all this destruction and action is going on, putting you in the fray, and now you get up to this point where it's kind of surprising X gets captured and you're wondering what's going on. The ceiling begins to crumble and you finally get to play as Zero, with one of the coolest entrances ever.

This game already is trying to make you feel like a bad Magikarp, but then you're like insanely powerful at the first stage of the game.

I love X3 for this, it's the perfect type of motivation from the game to the player that I like to see.

It's all so insanely beautiful. Best Zero including the theme. ahhhhhhh soooo goood.

It's always hard to judge whether intros back then were like that because they "got" it, or because it was the most feasible approach at the time.

Fundamentally though, I think it should always be about the player and not the "director's vision". You can still deliver the experience you want, tell the story you'd like to without having to compromise the player's control.

Mega Man X and Super Metroid to me have the best intro stages of any SNES games (well, that I've played) - which almost by default means the best intro stages ever - and it's because you are in complete control and the atmosphere, music, and mechanics carry you into the game's world and give you a taste of what to expect from the game and what the game is going to expect from you.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hey guys, are we allowed to discuss about fangames? Because I can't help myself from gushing over MegaPhilX's Mega Man Unlimited. Speaking of which, he recently released a new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xJrNDTHQTg If Capcom doesn't have any plans for the Blue Bomber this year, I can at least look forward in playing this.

First off, of course! Anything Mega Man here!

Secondly, this looks awesome...The themes in a few of these levels are pretty unique, I can't wait to play this. Thanks for sharing.

Krelian

Hey guys, are we allowed to discuss about fangames? Because I can't help myself from gushing over MegaPhilX's Mega Man Unlimited. Speaking of which, he recently released a new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xJrNDTHQTg If Capcom doesn't have any plans for the Blue Bomber this year, I can at least look forward in playing this.
I'm not a fan of Jpop in this trailer, the choice of music seems so random.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to this game! It's been a dream of mine to make my own Mega Man game ever since I was a kid. I used to draw countless robot masters. Still have the drawings somewhere. These guys seem close to completing their own dream. I'll definitely check it out when it's ready.

So after playing through Mega Man X, I got a massive craving for everything Mega Man and I just bought Mega Man Zero Collection and all the Battle Network games.

I had only played Zero 1/2, stupidly sold 1 and never got 3/4.

I played MMBN up to 4 but didn't get the other two.

After this, I'll be getting ZX and Star Force.

Yep, I <3 Mega Man.

Kokonoe

Banned
So I just found out MM7 has multiplayer mode and it actually looks like the truest Mega Man VSing I've ever seen. Wow.

Youtube Mega Man 7 VS Mode

My favorite of the classic series gets better.

PS:

Have you guys checked out this Bass theme yet? "that boy Forte right now" indeed.

Mega Man 7 - Theme of Bass (Sega Genesis Remix) V2

So after playing through Mega Man X, I got a massive craving for everything Mega Man and I just bought Mega Man Zero Collection and all the Battle Network games.

I had only played Zero 1/2, stupidly sold 1 and never got 3/4.

I played MMBN up to 4 but didn't get the other two.

After this, I'll be getting ZX and Star Force.

Yep, I <3 Mega Man.

Yeah, dood, Mega Man is mondo cool.

Solune

So I just found out MM7 has multiplayer mode and it actually looks like the truest Mega Man VSing I've ever seen. Wow.

Youtube Mega Man 7 VS Mode

My favorite of the classic series gets better.

I'm surprised you never knew! It's pretty cool too Mega Man throws out the Slash Claw like a Sonic Boom and Bass has the Flash Kick which he retains in Power Battles. Obvious nods to you know who.

qq more

The moment it closed up to the silhouette... I knew it was Mega Man just without the helmet. I wasn't too sure but then the helmet appeared then I FLIPPED THE FUCK OUT

Top Bottom