• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tumblr_mp054sknj61qzp8rs95.jpg

So time for some funny cutscenes from Mega Man.

DR WAHWEE!

Megaman X4: Zero's Story Cutscene 3

"oh."

I also love how the roles changed, Zero came to stop Colonel but then stops for no reason.

I love these cutscenes.

Ah yeah it's a classic.

STOP THE COOOOOP!

And...

SOMEONE MUST STOP REPLIFOOOOORSSSS!

CorvoSol

Yesterday the bro and I tried to replay Megaman III for DOS.

How did I ever beat Sharkman's level as a kid? Those swimming mechanics were . . . horrible.

Kokonoe

Banned
So what are your favorite MM series weapons?

X series

Chameleon Sting
Fire Wave
Storm Tornado

Classic series

Astro Crush
Flame Sword
Laser Trident

SkyOdin

Classic Series:
Ice Slasher (just about everything in MM 1 was good)
Mega Ball
Flash Bomb (MM 8 had some good weapons)
Pharaoh Shot

X Series:
Frost Tower
Rolling Shield (charged)
Silk Shot

...Coming up with great X series weapons is a lot harder than Classic series weapons. There are good ones, but there are not nearly as game defining.

Zero series:
Shield Boomerang

Classic Series

Thunder Beam
Flame Sword
Copy Vision
Jewel Satellite

X Series

Fire Wave
Strike Chain
Twin Slasher
F-Laser

Course I feel like my opinions on these will change as I replay the games again, in particular I haven't played X4 and above in a very long time

CorvoSol

You know what sucks? Sigma boss fights in the first three Mega Man X games. Like, the first few rounds ain't so bad, and X-2 I could've done if I'd had the patience to go back and refill all my subtanks again and not lose to that vector demon, but X1 and X3's final boss with his tiny head you have to hit is nonsense.

Especially X 1.

X4's is so much easier to do.

Kokonoe

Banned
I really liked Launch Octopus' boss intro animation. lol
Same.

It's pretty much "You. Are going down."

You know what sucks? Sigma boss fights in the first three Mega Man X games. Like, the first few rounds ain't so bad, and X-2 I could've done if I'd had the patience to go back and refill all my subtanks again and not lose to that vector demon, but X1 and X3's final boss with his tiny head you have to hit is nonsense.

Especially X 1.

To be honest, I found X4's last boss fight to be a lot harder than X1s. I can actually beat it without dying, but I never really understood the mechanics X4s, at least I don't remember. I just know the last time I beat X4 was with Zero and that last part felt brutal to me. The first two fights are no sweat, though.

qq more

X4's final boss was so brutal yet so satisfying to fight. Definitely my favorite final boss fight in the entire franchise.

X1's final boss was pretty good too, I don't struggle too much with it anymore. Also, am I the only one who laughed at the introduction of that boss? *happy sigma head floats up :)*

Kokonoe

Banned
X1 remains my top, I guess I don't really care for the final form in X4. It's really oddball compared to the first two fights. With X1 I feel like I'm taking down Sigma's final form instead of tons of heads.

X4 to me is pretty darn great outside of that, however.

SkyOdin

Especially X 1.

I think X2 has the easiest Sigma out of the entire X series. The humanoid form of X2 Sigma is pretty much a chump, and the wireframe head isn't really that threatening. You just need to know the right weapon to use.

X3 is harder, but there are some tricks that make it easier. The best thing to use against Kaiser Sigma in my experience is the Cross Charge Shot. The wide-area blast makes hitting the head pretty easy, and it does good damage to Sigma.

I agree that X1 Sigma is probably one of the hardest final bosses in the franchise. Both the humanoid form and the final form are so simple, but so very demanding to actually fight. They just do so much damage that you can't afford to mess up. They are a lot like the first Yellow Devil in that the fights are not complicated, but are simply tough endurance fights where you have limited opportunities to attack and little margin for error.

I think X4's final form for Sigma is probably the single hardest Sigma form, though. It is just brutal.

CorvoSol

X4's Sigma I can do. Maybe because I spent hours doing it as a kid. But X1's Sigma is the pits. I just can't get up to that face without losing a ton of HP. X2 Sigma wasn't that bad, I was mostly just pissed because if you die you have to refight Zero and the PS2 MMX collection DOES NOT SAVE any progress you make in the Sigma stages.

X3'll be okay, though.

Noi

If I can beat final Sigma without getting any upgrades or the dash boots Corvo, you can totally do it with everything.

I don't like the rolling shield weakness though. I'd rather just ride the hand and not have to jump.

SkyOdin

X4's Sigma I can do. Maybe because I spent hours doing it as a kid. But X1's Sigma is the pits. I just can't get up to that face without losing a ton of HP. X2 Sigma wasn't that bad, I was mostly just pissed because if you die you have to refight Zero and the PS2 MMX collection DOES NOT SAVE any progress you make in the Sigma stages.

X3'll be okay, though.

Did any NES or SNES Megaman game save progress in the fortresses? I remember having to do all of the older fortresses in single, long sessions, which wasn't pleasant in the NES Megaman games with multiple fortresses.

qq more

Did any NES or SNES Megaman game save progress in the fortresses? I remember having to do all of the older fortresses in single, long sessions, which wasn't pleasant in the NES Megaman games with multiple fortresses.

X2 is the one that saves the fortress' progress.

I don't think X2 actually saves your fortress progress. There are passwords that take you to each fortress level, but you don't get them while playing the game.

qq more

I don't think X2 actually saves your fortress progress. There are passwords that take you to each fortress level, but you don't get them while playing the game.

Huh, really? It doesn't show the password screen upon beating a fortress level?

What if you die or replay a Maverick stage?

goldenpp72

How can someone be challenged by Sigma in X1? Unless i'm missing context, you can just wall jump to the side and shoot the rolling shield at him, dies fast.

Kokonoe

Banned
Maverick Hunter X is pretty good, I'm about to fight Sigma. I beat this game before on PSP, but it's a lot nicer while using an SNES pad, and, of course, in HD.

I like how you can use the Rolling Shield charged up then use another weapon, and same with Chameleon Sting's invincibility.

Boomer Kuwanger just sounds awesome.

https://soundcloud.com/kokonoe-aiyoko/maverick-hunter-x-fortress

I need to try Vile mode. For some reason it didn't click with me at the time initially, so, I didn't use it outside of the Highway level. Guess I'll give it a go now after I beat Sigma.

qq more

Maverick Hunter X is pretty good, I'm about to fight Sigma. I beat this game before on PSP, but it's a lot nicer while using an SNES and, of course, in HD.

I like how you can use the Rolling Shield charged up then use another weapon, and same with Chameleon Sting's invincibility.

Boomer Kuwanger just sounds awesome.

https://soundcloud.com/kokonoe-aiyoko/maverick-hunter-x-fortress

I need to try Vile mode. For some reason it didn't click with me at the time initially, so, I didn't use it outside of the Highway level. Guess I'll give it a go now after I beat Sigma.
Wait, you can use other weapons while shielded and invincible? That's pretty damn awesome. If I ever go back to replaying that, I'm totally doing this.

Thanks for sharing this! Another song I like from the OST was Sigma Stage 2 and Sting Chameleon.

Vile Mode starts off really annoying, but the more you play, the better Vile gets and the mode becomes cooler. I really hated the limited health bar though. It's definitely worth playing though.

Huh, really? It doesn't show the password screen upon beating a fortress level?

What if you die or replay a Maverick stage?

If I remember right, it does show you the password screen, but those passwords don't actually take you to the fortress stages. I'm pretty sure the ones that do are never given to you in-game.

Looking at some of the composers for the Ace Attorney games, I was really surprised to learn that a few of the composers for that series composed for the X series, too. Ace Attorney 2 and Mega Man X6 share the same composer, for example.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wait, you can use other weapons while shielded and invincible? That's pretty damn awesome. If I ever go back to replaying that, I'm totally doing this.

Thanks for sharing this! Another song I like from the OST was Sigma Stage 2 and Sting Chameleon.

Vile Mode starts off really annoying, but the more you play, the better Vile gets and the mode becomes cooler. I really hated the limited health bar though. It's definitely worth playing though.

Yeah, dood. It's pretty darn cool. And no problem, I couldn't stand the low quality on youtoob.

And interesting, guess I'll give it a full run through, then!

qq more

One thing I seriously hateeee about Vile mode:

That damn Vile Mode song plays in every level (except for the fortress stage), get ready to hear Vile's theme for nearly all of eternity.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

I mean it's a good song but... good god does that get tiring. :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Looking at some of the composers for the Ace Attorney games, I was really surprised to learn that a few of the composers for that series composed for the X series, too. Ace Attorney 2 and Mega Man X6 share the same composer, for example.

Odd, considering that I found AA2's soundtrack to be rather bland compared to the other games, save for a few notable tracks, where X6 had a great soundtrack (one of the few redeeming qualities about the game).

I think Vile's mode starts off really fun, but after you get a few upgrades it starts getting way too easy. His playstyle is still really interesting, though.

CorvoSol

Imagine if you don't have four subtanks to burn through.

Bingo.

Like, X2 really isn't that bad. Zero's attack pattern is the same exact attack pattern he uses as a boss later in the games
in Mega Man Zero 3
. Sigma's first form is okay once you figure him out, too. The only problem with Wireframe Sigma was I was plain old tired.

Sigma's 2nd form in X3 gave me trouble today, though, since that tiny skull of his is sort of hard to hit with the X buster. And X3 has the worst X buster in the series.

goldenpp72

Imagine if you don't have four subtanks to burn through.

I rarely even use one during that fight, I just wall jump, get on the platform and unleash the fury on him, it's always a really underwhelming fight for me but I love the game. Sigma in X4 is much harder and of course, with much less potential sub tanks to burn.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I rarely even use one during that fight, I just wall jump, get on the platform and unleash the fury on him, it's always a really underwhelming fight for me but I love the game. Sigma in X4 is much harder and of course, with much less potential sub tanks to burn.
Are you talking about the SNES version? Pretty sure you can't actually hit him with rolling shield without jumping.

goldenpp72

Are you talking about the SNES version? Pretty sure you can't actually hit him with rolling shield without jumping.

Yeah, and yeah I jump, probably should have specified. I just lunge forward, jump/shoot, then return to the claw. i'd say I fall off the claw 2-3 times at most during the battle and just work my way back up using the wall kick. I beat the game about 3 months ago again when I was trying to run down some nostalgia with the girl to show her the games of that era :p

I dunno, sigma to me is a chump in X1, but the fight in x4 is quite challenging especially without sub tanks, but maybe it was harder as zero. Haven't played in in a awhile as X.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, and yeah I jump, probably should have specified. I just lunge forward, jump/shoot, then return to the claw. i'd say I fall off the claw 2-3 times at most during the battle and just work my way back up using the wall kick. I beat the game about 3 months ago again when I was trying to run down some nostalgia with the girl to show her the games of that era :p

I dunno, sigma to me is a chump in X1, but the fight in x4 is quite challenging especially without sub tanks, but maybe it was harder as zero. Haven't played in in a awhile as X.
X4's final boss isn't too hard for Zero or for X with Plasma Shot.

CorvoSol

So skipping X3's final boss, too, because screw trying to hit that only sometimes hittable tiny target with the ultra unreliable, worst in the series charged x-buster.

On to X4, where I know I can beat the boss.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Bingo.

Like, X2 really isn't that bad. Zero's attack pattern is the same exact attack pattern he uses as a boss later in the games
in Mega Man Zero 3
. Sigma's first form is okay once you figure him out, too. The only problem with Wireframe Sigma was I was plain old tired.
Cyber Sigma goes through 7 colors, each of which take 7 fully charged shots to go through, so 49 fully charged shots to kill.

So skipping X3's final boss, too, because screw trying to hit that only sometimes hittable tiny target with the ultra unreliable, worst in the series charged x-buster.
Protip: Level 2 shot and only dash to avoid missiles.

Rhapsody

Banned
Sigma's 2nd form in X3 gave me trouble today, though, since that tiny skull of his is sort of hard to hit with the X buster. And X3 has the worst X buster in the series.
X3's buster (along with some other things) is one of the reasons I just don't have fun replaying X3.
X2's charged shot was way more fun to use.

On my last X1 playthrough, I decided to just see if I could play it patiently. Never fell off the claw and even beat it faster than I normally would lol

And I'd say X4 was the hardest Sigma fight for me. It was a surprising difficulty jump too since the rest of X4 was way too easy.

Been looking at this article here http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/0...age-art-book-as-part-of-his-25th-anniversary/

I think I am going to put down the money for it. The pictures shown make it tempting, plus I haven't picked up any of the other artbooks.

SkyOdin

Man, and spinning blade is such an awful weapon.

Isn't it almost always one of the worst weapons that is inexplicably useful against the final boss? Gamma was vulnerable to the Top Spin, of all things (though I hear that the Top Spin is actually incredibly useful if you know how to use it).

Isn't it almost always one of the worst weapons that is inexplicably useful against the final boss? Gamma was vulnerable to the Top Spin, of all things (though I hear that the Top Spin is actually incredibly useful if you know how to use it).

Well, Top Spin has it's uses, but I've never been in a situation where it's the best choice. It doesn't deserve the reputation it has, though. I think the Spark Shock is way worse; it's much more useful in Rockman World 3, though.

Videoneon

I think the other Sigma weaknesses were:

X4 - Lightning Web for Form 2, Ground Hunter for Sigma Head and Soul Body for Weapon Sigma
X5 - Spike Ball I think?
X6 - Ground Dash?
X7 - Explosion? I have no idea, really
X8 - Shining Ray or Shadow Runner?

Favorite Classic Weapons:
Pharaoh Shot
Wheel Cutter (scaling walls is just too fun)
Magnet Missile
Jewel Satellite
Thunder Beam (Powered Up balanced the shit out of this)
Flash Bomb

Favorite X weapons (looks like you guys noticed that the X game weapons tend to be less useful, though X1 has a great weapon set)
Homing Torpedo
Shining Ray (it just looks cool)
Yammar Option
Charged Crescent Shot (regular C-Shot is terrible, random direction sucks)

I always gave up and used the snakes because I'm allergic to using E tanks :p

After this and the Bubble Lead for part 2, I was kinda disappointed that in 4 it was the easiest weapon to hit him with.

Top Bottom