• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

I've only really encountered one bug so far the first time I loaded up Mega Man 2. The music went all screwy for the intro and password screens before fixing itself on the select screen, I've not managed to replicate the issue since.

Anyway, otherwise it seems like a faithful port of the games, controls are spot on and I'm loving the challenge mode. Only done the first 5 so far as I've been aiming for gold metals. I love the share button on this game as well, I'm aiming to do no death runs on all stages if possible along with gold metal runs.

A few vids I've taken so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOduDxq2sPE

Quickman buster only no death run. Pretty bad run really, took a ton of damage at the end and it was a miracle I didn't die in the boss battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_bmGwvKkv4

Challenge 1 Gold Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQquBcRrqXw

Iceman buster only/no death run. Perfected Iceman as well which I was really pleased with. Fairly certain that's the best I've ever managed to do that level, usually those blasted flying platforms do me in.

Got it on steam but the game wouldn't work. I just kept getting black screen with music running in the background. After trying a few times I gave up and got a refund.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Got it on steam but the game wouldn't work. I just kept getting black screen with music running in the background. After trying a few times I gave up and got a refund.

Had the same problem on Windows 10. Setting the compatibility mode to Windows 8 fixed it.

VertPin

I wonder if the game will grant you trophies for beating each game
using the password system to be at the final stage?

A few vids I've taken so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOduDxq2sPE

Quickman buster only no death run. Pretty bad run really, took a ton of damage at the end and it was a miracle I didn't die in the boss battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_bmGwvKkv4

Challenge 1 Gold Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQquBcRrqXw

Iceman buster only/no death run. Perfected Iceman as well which I was really pleased with. Fairly certain that's the best I've ever managed to do that level, usually those blasted flying platforms do me in.

I enjoyed your videos. Quick man was a close battle!

I'm waiting for the 3DS version. Physical cartridge hopefully. (I don't have the other systems.)

I enjoyed your videos. Quick man was a close battle!

I'm waiting for the 3DS version. Physical cartridge hopefully. (I don't have the other systems.)

Thanks. While I want to redo that video eventually with a better run it was entertaining that I end up on one unit of health at the end of the fight! One thing I'll give MM3 and up, the slide move is so handy against any jumping walker type enemy.

So far I've cleared the first half dozen or so challenges, "Craigs Challenge" being my favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkI4uH-2GRg

I'm sure there are better ways to handle certain parts of that (especially the Guts Man area) but having all the weapons lets me figure out some pretty awesome methods of reaching the exit. The second remix levels for MM1 and 2 are fairly awesome as well, took me a few tries before I managed to clear them. I wonder what the later challenges will be like.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Thanks. While I want to redo that video eventually with a better run it was entertaining that I end up on one unit of health at the end of the fight! One thing I'll give MM3 and up, the slide move is so handy against any jumping walker type enemy.

So far I've cleared the first half dozen or so challenges, "Craigs Challenge" being my favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkI4uH-2GRg

I'm sure there are better ways to handle certain parts of that (especially the Guts Man area) but having all the weapons lets me figure out some pretty awesome methods of reaching the exit. The second remix levels for MM1 and 2 are fairly awesome as well, took me a few tries before I managed to clear them. I wonder what the later challenges will be like.

You can scroll through and check! :)

BONKERS

They did it. Seriously stunning. Really sad and disappointed to see that some reviewers do not understand what they were going for with the collection and mention the Anniversary Collection, which was shit, as a superior collection. This is why we don't have nice things.

One gripe so far though: anyone else playing on PC have the mouse pointer hanging out on their screen while using a controller?

This is becoming an infuriating problem with PC ports as of late. How hard is it to get this right?
Even moving it to the side doesn't eliminate it completely you can still see the edge of it
Ah, I was wrong about the music being remastered, I was looking at the first page and made the assumption they were the Rockman Works that released on the Playstation.

I want to get the physical copy, but can't justify the price.

It's not the only superior feature of the CW versions that should've been in the game. Uninterrupted music and sound effects.

But it doesn't seem like they can even competently emulate the 2A03 by itself
Jumping on this. Got the PS1 collection ones on PS3 a while back, but the input lag in those is fucking terrible. Still beat a few of them, but it felt gross.

No input lag and being able to easily stream? All day. Here's hoping PS4 store doesn't immediately shit itself like usual.

Poorly thought out emulation chain = input lag + Display input lag.

If you have a PSP GO, you can play them on a CRT in 240p with a DS3 with nearly non-existent latency
sörine;176498429 said:
Good review although Parish is wrong on Wii VC versions being darker I think. Wii VC was entirely unfiltered with true 240p output, it was basically perfect with a crt.

The 3DS VC were the darker ones. And the Wii VC are also superior in that they present the right PAR and have perfect audio. Unlike this
I had the corrupt menus problem and installing the KB2670838 windows update fixed it for me.

That issue aside, great collection.

2670838 also breaks older DX10/11 games. (Even the recent re-release of DMC4SE).
It's irritating to have to keep the update itself stored locally so you can install and uninstall it as needed.

Until they fix the sound problems (At the very damn least) and the incorrect integer scaling and PAR (And add support beyond 1080p. It's 2015 folks). I'm staying 10 yards away from this port.

As it stands, the RCW and free emulators are superior. The artwork of RCW blows this out of the water too

So dont buy this game, so much for the digital eclipse engine...

this kind of attitude ensures we wont see any more classic compilations like this for years. Really not a good idea if you're a fan of this kind of work.

It felt pretty good to me. And looked really nice. I have an NES RGB and it looks pretty similar to that. I think anyone with any interest at all should buy this.

Hey guys, can we get a running list of bugs here? Will forward to Brett and Frank.

So, just finished MM3 on PS4

-a lot of screeching music including

-the first notes of the MM3 title theme
-the last notes of the Protoman whistle
-Needleman's theme and the first Wily castle song
-the Protoman epilogue theme

Also, this may sound funny, but in MM3 the controls seemed off by a split second if that makes sense. Not Complete Works laggy, but noticeable coming from Megaman 1 and 2 before this...

A bathroom break then on to MM4! The Wily Wars are over, but the quest continues!

EDIT - same screeching with the opening notes of the mm4 prologue

Arttemis

So, just finished MM3 on PS4

-a lot of screeching music including

-the first notes of the MM3 title theme
-the last notes of the Protoman whistle
-Needleman's theme and the first Wily castle song
-the Protoman epilogue theme

Also, this may sound funny, but in MM3 the controls seemed off by a split second if that makes sense. Not Complete Works laggy, but noticeable coming from Megaman 1 and 2 before this...

A bathroom break then on to MM4! The Wily Wars are over, but the quest continues!

EDIT - same screeching with the opening notes of the mm4 prologue

Awesome updates, man!

I really hope Capcom addresses this...
(and adds shoulder button weapon switching).

J-Spot

Grabbed this for PS4 and blitzed through MM1 this evening. I've never been able to beat that damn Yellow Devil in my life so I was happy to find the original pause button mapped to L1.

I cannot beat Fireman in the second boss rush of MM1 for the life of me.
I can't figure out how to avoid getting hit in that fight. I can always beat him but 2/3 of the time I'll have too little health left to get through Gutsman.

Saikyo

this kind of attitude ensures we wont see any more classic compilations like this for years. Really not a good idea if you're a fan of this kind of work.

Nintendo and Sony gamers already has the game on older plataforms or virtual console. Xbox and PC needed that but if Capcom cant make a better job than emulators and making "excuses" to port it to the "Eclipe Engine" and have sound bugs and many more problems on Steam version so they must test it better before launching or simply emulate it like before because I cant see much benefit in this state.

KingBroly

Banned
Grabbed this for PS4 and blitzed through MM1 this evening. I've never been able to beat that damn Yellow Devil in my life so I was happy to find the original pause button mapped to L1.

I can't figure out how to avoid getting hit in that fight. I can always beat him but 2/3 of the time I'll have too little health left to get through Gutsman.

The pause trick isn't exclusive to Yellow Devil

KingBroly

Banned
What is the pause trick, exactly?

When you hit a boss with an attack, you mash pause over and over so with one attack you kill bosses super fast. It's what speedrunners for the game use. It's also something you see in Wily 3 of Mega Man 2 to avoid the boss's attack.

When you hit a boss with an attack, you mash pause over and over so with one attack you kill bosses super fast. It's what speedrunners for the game use. It's also something you see in Wily 3 of Mega Man 2 to avoid the boss's attack.

"Pause", by the way, isn't the same as pressing Start to bring up the menu. Mega Man 1 is the only game with a dedicated pause button that literally just pauses the game. On the NES it's mapped to the Select button. The Pause Trick AFAIK only work with the Select-Pause.

BONKERS

It felt pretty good to me. And looked really nice. I have an NES RGB and it looks pretty similar to that. I think anyone with any interest at all should buy this.

Yeah well maybe release without major problems and it wouldn't happen.
I mean FFS how could they fuck up the sound emulation that bad?
Not to mention the lack of support beyond 1080p and somewhat improper scaling. (1080p only gets you 4x4 scale at 960p. 1440p gets you a 6x6 scale that matches the height perfectly.)
I keep posting about this but no one ever tries it out: AutoHideMouseCursor

It works for all sorts of games!

O>O

It'd be nice if developers could just get it right but this is nice thanks

Yeah well maybe release without major problems and it wouldn't happen.
I mean FFS how could they fuck up the sound emulation that bad?
Not to mention the lack of support beyond 1080p and somewhat improper scaling. (1080p only gets you 4x4 scale at 960p. 1440p gets you a 6x6 scale that matches the height perfectly.)

This compilation does not have major problems. It has very minor problems that can be easily patched if Capcom is properly motivated.

Aaaaand MM2 down (^_____^)

Forgot how insanely more pleasant it is to play the US version. Always disliked how much the enemies are bullet sponges in OG Rockman2.

I only used Savestates a few times merely for the sake of time as I've already legit beaten it many times before (same with MM1).
Other games in the series that I previously mentioned not having beaten, I plan on not using them though.

Seriously though, this compilation if fucking excellent and if they patch the sound cracking, it's GOD-TIER as far as I'm concerned :)

The only platform this is not available on is Wii U.
The only proper gamepads to play old-school 2D games are made by Nintendo.
Existing versions of these games on Wii U look bad due to poor NES emulation.

Videogame industry, you have failed me.

DualShock4 has both excellent ergonomics and Dpad for 2D games. Same with Vita.

DualShock4 has both excellent ergonomics and Dpad for 2D games. Same with Vita.

I never liked the DualShock D-Pad design (though it was godtier compared to the 360's). It works fine but I find it uncomfortable for prolonged uses. Nevermind grueling games like Megaman.

Luke_Wal

So, I've never played a classic Mega Man before, but I consider myself pretty good at 2D platformers (I was eventually able to beat every level in both Rayman games, including the crazy treasure chest levels in Origins). What order should I play these games in? Basically, 1 and then 2 or 2 and then 1?

aadiboy

I'm wondering what other NES games Capcom can remaster and release as collections. Looking through their NES catalog, taking out MM 1-6, licensed games, and Japan-only releases, you're left with:

1943: The Battle of Midway
Bionic Commando
Code Name: Viper
Commando
Destiny of an Emperor
Destiny of an Emperor II
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gun.Smoke
Legendary Wings
Mighty Final Fight
Section Z
Snow Brothers
SonSon
Street Fighter 2010
Strider
Trojan

Gargoyle's Quest 2 is a spin-off of Ghosts 'n Goblins, so those two can be packed together. Add in Strider and Bionic Command and you've got a set of 4 action platformers. Can't really think of any other collections, though.

Sheytan

You could buy a nes usb controller, there are third party ones and the original nes gamepad with a adaptor or a modified one with a usb connector

I have a original nes gamepad modified with a usb connector

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Setting aside that this isn't really true, you can use just about any controller with the PC version. I'm playing with a Wii U Pro pad right now.

Blues1990

So, I've never played a classic Mega Man before, but I consider myself pretty good at 2D platformers (I was eventually able to beat every level in both Rayman games, including the crazy treasure chest levels in Origins). What order should I play these games in? Basically, 1 and then 2 or 2 and then 1?

Yeah, it would be best to beat the games in chronological order, so MM1, then MM2, etc.

That way, you can appreciate the most underrated game in the NES series, Mega Man 6, once you reach it. :D

RM8

This is an awesome, awesome collection. I'm so glad this turned out so well :] This is the definitive way to play these games, I can forget I own the rather low-quality Anniversary Collection. Also, Mega Man is finally on PC! :p You guys complaining about controllers can play it on PC with any Nintendo controller. I'm playing with this, though:

en-INTL_L_Xbox360_Hori_Gem_Pad_Diamond_Clear_FLF-00143_mnco.jpg

The d-pad is glorious, Hori always makes great d-pads.

Top Bottom