• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

Mega Man 2 was a lot easier than I remember. Well up until the final boss, which shut me down pretty hard. Then again, I was coming off my first playthrough of The first Mega Man which is actually quite difficult.

Really looking forward to playing 3 now.

I'm also alone probably that I think the sprite work in MM7,8 , MM&B is more preferable than the NES games. And I wish they made more games like that.
It was the pinnacle to me.

MM8's spritework was absolutely amazing. But I really have a hard time praising the presentation when the voice acting is so unbelievably god awful.

I really, really want a ROM (ISO?) hack of MM8 that just removes every single in-game voice sample, puts the Japanese VA in the cutscenes and subtitles them, or removes those cutscenes entirely. The game for me would be 10x more enjoyable for me just with those changes.

Tizoc

MM8's spritework was absolutely amazing. But I really have a hard time praising the presentation when the voice acting is so unbelievably god awful.

I really, really want a ROM (ISO?) hack of MM8 that just removes every single in-game voice sample, puts the Japanese VA in the cutscenes and subtitles them, or removes those cutscenes entirely. The game for me would be 10x more enjoyable for me just with those changes.

Well you can always play the JP ver. off JP PSN, not like there's a major language barrier with that game :p

I really like 3. Fortunately Mega Man 9 came along so I don't have to deal with trying to decide whether 2 or 3 is my favorite.
I plan to grab the collection on Steam at some point. Sounds well done.

I've always been curious about 9 and 10 on XBLA but it kinda seems that those games came and went.

What is the thought on those games now, particularly compared with the "original" offerings in this recent collection.

I've always been curious about 9 and 10 on XBLA but it kinda seems that those games came and went.

What is the thought on those games now, particularly compared with the "original" offerings in this recent collection.

MM 9 is perfect, no shitty slowdown, no false glitch, yes it's the perfect megaman, the one old fart had always dreamed of.
MM 10 is pretty good too.

120v

Mega Man 9 is arguably the best in the series. it's kinda forgotten as a flash in pan throwback but it's easily up there with MM2 and 3

hopefully it gets a steam release at some point. game deserves to be played by many as possible just like the other classics

MM10 was nowhere near as inspired but fine if you just want moar mega man

Mega Man 2 was a lot easier than I remember. Well up until the final boss, which shut me down pretty hard. Then again, I was coming off my first playthrough of The first Mega Man which is actually quite difficult.

Really looking forward to playing 3 now.

Only part I had a problem with was the second phase of Wily Machine 2. Wily's shots seem to have pretty tight timing to run under them. The actual final boss in MM2 is laughably easy.

Anyway, I've almost finished the challenge mode now with all golds. I got really obsessed with trying to do MM5 Remix 2 well, it actually managed to pay off in the end (I'm gouki16):

11057820_504245399732754_1195667541417433400_o_zpszfanpwqw.jpg

I've no chance at getting top spot though, his executions are flawless, I'm sure I'll be out of the top 100 in a week or two at most!

KingBroly

Banned
So...is there a way to change the window resolution for this in-game? It doesn't seem like it, since it's stretched vertically. Seems very half-assed at first glance.

I'm downloading this right now on Steam. What's a good order in which to tackle Mega Man 1?

Bomb Man
Guts Man
Cut Man
Elec Man (make sure to get the hidden
M Platform item
in the stage)
Ice Man
Fire Man

Either Bomb or Cut is an easy starting point. If you've never played the first game (or the series before) you'll probably hit a difficulty spike at the beginning of Guts Man's stage due to the moving platforms section at the beginning but after that its mainly ok as long as you grab the hidden item else Ice Man's level can present a problem to some. Plus you need it for the first fortress stage so it makes no sense not to grab it when your in Elec Man's stage.

I'm hitting a bug in Mega Man 1. After I beat Guts Man's stage, when I go to a new stage, the game will pause when I pick up certain items or try to change to a new screen. That is to say, the game pauses, but the weapons menu doesn't come up until I press start myself. This also prevents me from progressing as when I unpause after it freezes during a stage transition, it will go back to the previous screen.

I take it this one is already known?

I'm hitting a bug in Mega Man 1. After I beat Guts Man's stage, when I go to a new stage, the game will pause when I pick up certain items or try to change to a new screen. That is to say, the game pauses, but the weapons menu doesn't come up until I press start myself. This also prevents me from progressing as when I unpause after it freezes during a stage transition, it will go back to the previous screen.

Haven't run into that one.

KingBroly

Banned
Mega Man 9 is arguably the best in the series. it's kinda forgotten as a flash in pan throwback but it's easily up there with MM2 and 3

hopefully it gets a steam release at some point. game deserves to be played by many as possible just like the other classics

MM10 was nowhere near as inspired but fine if you just want moar mega man

MM10 is very disappointing, especially coming off 9. Everything feels worse. It definitely lacks the polish and care of 9.

Wow!

I still can't believe it, but I finally got it done!

According to the PSNprofiles site, I'm the fifth in the world to reach 100%. Props to the DE crew! I thought the challenge mode was going to be a cakewalk, but after having my ass handed to me, I was shown otherwise.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being a braggart. TBH, it's just nice to know I've still got some skills despite getting older...

Now, still gotta do Steam and Xbone!

Here's hoping for a double dip via the retail and/or Japanese version

Sure your button mappings aren't overlapping with the in-game pause? It's the only thing that sounds similar, but not sure about why it happens on picking up items. I got glitched enemies in a later level for pausing at the wrong point.

And speaking of glitches...
vdAayMm.gif

Ugh, Fire Man is the toughest boss in this part. Too tough to tank through and makes Guts Man require a perfect fight. I must be playing this wrong.

KingBroly

Banned
It appears that hitting Y (My Score) twice in a Challenge Leaderboard causes the game to crash in Steam.

This is apparently a consistent glitch as well.

Just finished all the robot masters in MM3 and now onto the Wily stuff...

...man... I REALLY think I don't give much of damn about 3 anymore either. So much of that game just feels random as hell...

- boss weapons matching to bosses don't really make any sense (diamonds are weak against... snakes!? ShadowMan's Star is pretty much the goto weapon ala MetalMan's blades

- The goddamn slowdown

- levels feel randomly thrown together and not very well playtested

- bosses themselves are.... um, okay. Seriously, what the hell is Gemini man supposed to be anyway? Same thing with Snake Man, Needle Man, ShadowMan?

At this point, the only redeemable things about 3 are: introduction of Rush, Blues, and the music.

goldenpp72

Just finished all the robot masters in MM3 and now onto the Wily stuff...

...man... I REALLY think I don't give much of damn about 3 anymore either. So much of that game just feels random as hell...

- boss weapons matching to bosses don't really make any sense (diamonds are weak against... snakes!? ShadowMan's Star is pretty much the goto weapon ala MetalMan's blades

- The goddamn slowdown

- levels feel randomly thrown together and not very well playtested

- bosses themselves are.... um, okay. Seriously, what the hell is Gemini man supposed to be anyway? Same thing with Snake Man, Needle Man, ShadowMan?

At this point, the only redeemable things about 3 are: introduction of Rush, Blues, and the music.

Because Wood Man and Bubble Man are the epitome of design? Come on now, all of the games have pretty silly bosses all things considered. 3 is still in the top 2 of the NES series.

Blues1990

MM10 has some of the best music in the series tho

Yeah, from Solar Man, Commando Man, Nitro Man, Chill Man (my personal favourite RM stage theme) & the Wily Stages....

People will seem to rag on Mega Man 10, but I thought it was a fun ride. Especially once you unlock Hard Mode and see how terrifying the Robot Masters are.

Pengew

Has anyone noticed any issues jumping in MM6? I have noticed that randomly MM will not jump. He just stops and does nothing when i tap the jump button. Its only for a split second though. It never seemed to happen while playing the others.

Just snagged it for PS4 a few mins ago. I originally didn't want to buy it because I already owned 1-6 on the 3DS VC, as well as a couple on the Wii VC. But damn am I impressed. The colors really come alive on my TV compared to the muted Wii VC releases, and the dualshock 4 controls are so comfy compared to the 3DS XL which literally makes me cramp up while playing MM games. Even the borders look snazzy. Wasn't planning on using any filters, but "monitor" looks kinda cool.

The sheer amount of illustrations blows me away as well. And the way the screens transition while accessing menus and games is lightning fast. Overall I am impressed with what DE did here. Haven't noticed any input lag either.

Wow!

I still can't believe it, but I finally got it done!

According to the PSNprofiles site, I'm the fifth in the world to reach 100%. Props to the DE crew! I thought the challenge mode was going to be a cakewalk, but after having my ass handed to me, I was shown otherwise.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being a braggart. TBH, it's just nice to know I've still got some skills despite getting older...

Now, still gotta do Steam and Xbone!

Here's hoping for a double dip via the retail and/or Japanese version

Nicely done :) I'm almost done with the challenge mode myself, its not been as easy as I'd assumed either which is great, as its been so damn fun to play through especially as I'd played the 6 games to death over the years. And yes I'm planning to get the other digital versions of the game and physical releases in the future. Did you also 100% MM10 three times? Or was I alone in that crazy feat?

SCReuter

Has anyone noticed any issues jumping in MM6? I have noticed that randomly MM will not jump. He just stops and does nothing when i tap the jump button. Its only for a split second though. It never seemed to happen while playing the others.
I definitely noticed the sometimes unresponsive jumping in Mega Man 6 when I recently replayed it on Wii U's Virtual Console. Made me initially think I was experiencing input lag. It's weird how it's the only 8-bit installment with this issue.

KingBroly

Banned
I definitely noticed the sometimes unresponsive jumping in Mega Man 6 when I recently replayed it on Wii U's Virtual Console. Made me initially think I was experiencing input lag. It's weird how it's the only 8-bit installment with this issue.

On the Wii U version? Cuz there's visual lag if you're looking at the Gamepad screen vs. the TV for every VC game for some reason. Very easy to catch as well with Miiverse and Screenshot posting.

Second crash with the exact same Leaderboard issue. How'd anybody not test this? It's insanely simple as second nature is to see my score and press the same button again for more options. Shameful.

Also not a fan of not being able to select a default render window or size (16:9/16:10/4:3) for the whole thing. Instead it's just a manually scaling thing which is dumb as hell, ESPECIALLY when it always shrinks the screen to 16:9 size. Straight of 1995, this PC port.

SCReuter

On the Wii U version? Cuz there's visual lag if you're looking at the Gamepad screen vs. the TV for every VC game for some reason. Very easy to catch as well with Miiverse and Screenshot posting.

Yeah, Wii U, but I don't use the GamePad screen. Mega Man sometimes just doesn't want to jump when I press the jump button in MM6, and I haven't had this problem in any other series entry, I don't think.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, Wii U, but I don't use the GamePad screen. Mega Man sometimes just doesn't want to jump when I press the jump button in MM6, and I haven't had this problem in any other series entry, I don't think.

It might just be a Mega Man 6 issue then. The game does some very different things mechanics wise, so it's possible that screwed some things up.

It might just be a Mega Man 6 issue then. The game does some very different things mechanics wise, so it's possible that screwed some things up.

So glad its not just me noticing this. I've just mopped up the MM6 Megamix challenge and jumping, and repeatedly sliding is less fluid than the last five games. I've always had that issue on MM6 though as far as I remember, I'll have to hook up my NES and try my original cart as I'm fairly sure I had the same problem there as well...

BONKERS

hah, they are terrible. But it doesn't detract from the game for me.

I wouldn't mind removing the voices either. Except for things like "Ready!" or "Jump Jump Jump" and Mega Man's in game voice effects.

Sciz

Second crash with the exact same Leaderboard issue. How'd anybody not test this? It's insanely simple as second nature is to see my score and press the same button again for more options. Shameful.

Do you have a ton of people on your friends list, by chance? I remember Sonic Generations PC also having leaderboard issues back when it launched, and that turned out to be tied to people having over 100 friends.

KingBroly

Banned
Do you have a ton of people on your friends list, by chance? I remember Sonic Generations PC also having leaderboard issues back when it launched, and that turned out to be tied to people having over 100 friends.

16 is not a lot. It wasn't even a Friends specific Leaderboard. On the Steam Forums, it seems like a very consistent issue.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Not true. Once padded and stretched to 320x240, you can use any of the following resolutions for full height output while following integer scaling. If your native is higher than that, I think you will be less likely to see scaling issues from the game itself since the further scaling is happening after the fact. (A lot of people use 720p when using Upscaler units for 240p for example This gets 960x720 a 3:3 ratio. I've never seen anyone report scaling issues after the fact on a 1080p monitor considering 1280x720 has to be scaled 1.5x1.5)

The process of padding and stretching is what I'm referring to. There are 64 columns of pixels you need to add to stretch 256 to 320, and no matter what you do you're going to end up with a jagged, disproportionate image. You can smooth it out with a filter to make these essentially invisible, but at the expensive of image quality, as it's going to be slightly blurred.

What I'm suggesting is scaling all of the NES pixels proportionally. Since it's a 1.25 ratio, you paint 5 pixels horizontally and 4 pixels vertically, to create one single oblong NES pixel. That way, it's in the proper ratio and should look correct without losing image quality. It's just you need a high enough resolution to pull this off.

50 Gold Challenges down. Not to hard once I got into the swing of things. Just got MM4 and MM6 bosses to do with no items, and the disappearing blocks and all bosses (no items) runs left. Challenge Mode has definitely been the highlight of the collection for me, pity they only did 50 challenges, I'd have been good with double that!

cerulily

The sound at the start of MM 2 was fucked out..

I noticed this as well. Also, when I ran into a smasher at the start of metal man's level, if I didn't move right after, I stayed blinking forever until I moved again.

But, audio fixed itself quickly

Thanks for the feedback on 9 and 10. May have to check those out on the 360 when they go on sale - well, at least 9.

Interesting to see comments about responsive controls with MM6 in this collection. I'm not a huge MM devotee but responsive controls were truly the bread and butter I remember from my days of playing MM1 (the only one I owned on the NES). I simply can't imagine input lag on an MM game.

I put in a lot of time with MM1 but never completed it.

Thanks for the feedback on 9 and 10. May have to check those out on the 360 when they go on sale - well, at least 9.

Interesting to see comments about responsive controls with MM6 in this collection. I'm not a huge MM devotee but responsive controls were truly the bread and butter I remember from my days of playing MM1 (the only one I owned on the NES). I simply can't imagine input lag on an MM game.

I put in a lot of time with MM1 but never completed it.

Its a weird one for me as it only happens in specific points that were highlighted through the challenges. Its far from game killing as it happens so infrequently, its just odd that it happens at all, and only in those specific spots...

Anyway, all 54 challenges complete, 54 gold metals. The all bosses (no items) run was not great, took me 36 minutes in total and that includes some pretty stupid moments by me, but I don't really have much inclination to do better since it'd be a nightmare to improve certain fights under time constraints.
Then again I did enjoy the individual boss runs (no items) as I further improved my knowledge of certain boss battles - Centaur, Wave, Charge, Shadow and probably a few more I'm forgetting...

Time to complete MM3-6 now to mop up the rest of the trophies. I'm almost done uploading videos of my runs here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdzACHRGQOKwTzmqrxxx8bw

I'll probably start uploading no item playthroughs of each game next...

Tenebrous

Been watching some of the high score challenge replays... Holy shit, haha. I knew I was bad, but these guys are just immense!

KingBroly

Banned
Been watching some of the high score challenge replays... Holy shit, haha. I knew I was bad, but these guys are just immense!

Just know that you have lots of margin for error.

EDIT: Sound crackling on Ice Man's stage

EDIT 2: I also find it funny that the rapid fire button, which they put in despite their claims of "authenticity" causes more framerate drops than anything in Mega Man 1.

BONKERS

The process of padding and stretching is what I'm referring to. There are 64 columns of pixels you need to add to stretch 256 to 320, and no matter what you do you're going to end up with a jagged, disproportionate image. You can smooth it out with a filter to make these essentially invisible, but at the expensive of image quality, as it's going to be slightly blurred.

What I'm suggesting is scaling all of the NES pixels proportionally. Since it's a 1.25 ratio, you paint 5 pixels horizontally and 4 pixels vertically, to create one single oblong NES pixel. That way, it's in the proper ratio and should look correct without losing image quality. It's just you need a high enough resolution to pull this off.

I wouldn't call it disproportionate image if it was intended to be seen that way. (As long as it's done accurately)

All we really need is someone with an RGB NES to compare to figure out the exact method for reproducing the non-square pixels of the NES.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/140843
They could also simply provide a square 1:1 pixel perfect option as well for those who want it.
1NESMegaMancopy.png

As it stands, for an "Accurate" collection, it's completely failing on the Video front.

Even the un scaled option isn't even a 1:1 - 8:7 as shown on page 6

KingBroly

Banned
I'd say the sound issues are also a problem. In addition, the rapid fire feature seems to slow the game down more than anything else I've seen in this. For a feature not native to the NES, it's not very "authentic" to have an artificially added feature make the game worse.

EDIT:
Mega Man 1 down. Wily's Castle is a lot harder than I remember, especially Wily 1. Wily 2 isn't much fun, either.

Top Bottom