• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercenary Kings |OT| It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands (lol)

Octacamo

the map is so confusing... are they going to fix that? or is it going to be like this only?

Map is of no use what so ever, cant able to locate mission objectives in it at all.

kriskrosbbk

the map is so confusing... are they going to fix that? or is it going to be like this only?

Map is of no use what so ever, cant able to locate mission objectives in it at all.

Map is quite stupid yes.Also I really hate the sound drops in the menu ...and dat loading times...man this aint battlefield 4.

Outside of collecting/hunting missions, your objective seems to always be marked with a big yellow X. Bosses are marked with a skull. although you have to find them at one of the skull locations before it starts to fill in which one they're at. But you can buy a mod called Computer that always shows their location.

Jaroof

Bosses are marked with a skull. although you have to find them at one of the skull locations before it starts to fill in which one they're at. But you can buy a mod called Computer that always shows their location.

You can also use the Transceiver to call Cadillac, and he'll show you where the boss is for 3 BP. It's definitely worth it, and saves you a lot of time tracking down the boss.

You can also use the Transceiver to call Cadillac, and he'll show you where the boss is for 3 BP. It's definitely worth it, and saves you a lot of time tracking down the boss.

I went ahead and bought the Computer mod that displays boss locations. It's especially helpful because it also shows you how many HP all enemies have. It's definitely worth it whenever you get the material to craft it.

Octacamo

But you can buy a mod called Computer that always shows their location.

that right there is a stupid thing to do actually... getting a half map with no thing to show in it is bad, that too from the start... and then later enhancing it from a game upgrade makes it more worse.. why not give the full fleged map either from the start or once u buy the map mod.

anyway.. there is also some sound skips... while loading the sound just goes blank and load times are very long

I dont think this game is optimized properly for ps4

ced

Stuttering, audio skipping, ridiculous load times and a fucked up jump, good work guys.

I'll be waiting on a patch to continue.

Jaroof

I went ahead and bought the Computer mod that displays boss locations. It's especially helpful because it also shows you how many HP all enemies have. It's definitely worth it whenever you get the material to craft it.

Yeah, I got it, too.. before that, I always used the Transceiver to tell me where the boss was.

Man, I'm addicted to this game!!

maouvin

Is there a mod later on that makes you jump higher/farther? There's some areas/crates that seem impossible to reach (I'm on the first chapter yet).

Or should I call Golden to use her crate as a plataform?

that right there is a stupid thing to do actually... getting a half map with no thing to show in it is bad, that too from the start... and then later enhancing it from a game upgrade makes it more worse.. why not give the full fleged map either from the start or once u buy the map mod.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about when you say the map doesn't show you anything. It does mark you objective location with the exception of missions where you're collecting materials, hunting animals or killing a specific number of enemies. In the missions where you have to collect a specific object, find someone or kill an enemy they'll mark it with a yellow X. Bosses are marked with a skull. The only catch with the bosses is that you need to find them at one of the skull locations before the map will show you at which specific skull location they are.

Octacamo

I'm still not sure what you're talking about when you say the map doesn't show you anything. It does mark you objective location with the exception of missions where you're collecting materials, hunting animals or killing a specific number of enemies. In the missions where you have to collect a specific object, find someone or kill an enemy they'll mark it with a yellow X. Bosses are marked with a skull. The only catch with the bosses is that you need to find them at one of the skull locations before the map will show you at which specific skull location they are.

hmm... well i was doing a mission in which the main objective was to eliminate 8 snipers and i am pretty sure those 8 were not marked in the map and after killing 6 of them i was not able to find the last two... and time got over.

also a legend of the whole map would be great as well as to which mark on the map means what

will play it more and see how it goes

coldfoot

Banned
I suck = this game sucks
Don't have this much issue with other games like Killzone on hard or ac4.
It's definitely this game. Even free with ps+ I see no more than a handful of people sticking with it in a month
Time limits are bullshit in games unless it's a racing game

hmm... well i was doing a mission in which the main objective was to eliminate 8 snipers and i am pretty sure those 8 were not marked in the map and after killing 6 of them i was not able to find the last two... and time got over.

also a legend of the whole map would be great as well as to which mark on the map means what

will play it more and see how it goes

Those types of missions aren't marked on the map. You really just have to go through the level and find them. The good news is that they're usually grouped into specific areas. So if you find one then there should be several others around that same area.

I've really enjoyed playing it off and on the last couple of days. I cleared out the Recruit missions and am now working on the Private missions. The various nostalgic throwbacks to retro games such as Metal Gear and Mega Man are awesome.

My biggest gripe: Putting a magazine on your gun significantly reduces its effectiveness. I appreciate the attempt at balancing, but I think it's pretty heavy-handed. Hopefully that will get tweaked later.

Piddly gripe: The six-shooter gun only has 5 bullets? :p

So far it's pretty good.

I like the weapon customisation though I wish there were more options; perhaps the options open up somewhat once you're further into the game.

I also like the hub between missions, and the idea of rescuing people who can offer services back at camp is a good system.

The game has been busting my balls a little but I'm still getting a feel for the rhythm of it.

One thing I'll say is a I don't care too much for the design of the characters or quality of the character animations. The animations in the com-link bits are fairly amateur.

It's quite a time sink though, I played it for two and a half hours by complete accident last night.

Just bizarre attitudes towards the game in this thread. I played online with 3 friends last night. It definitely took us at least 30 minutes to figure out how everything worked and there were some bugs in getting our party together (possibly because some of us hadn't done the training mission?). However, once we got into the missions, figured out the crafting, figured out we could sell materials for big bucks, and upgraded our guns - it was great. We played the "Recruit" level boss about 3 times as we learned where we had to go and what we had to do to capture him, and it was awesome. Giving a limited number of total lives to the team is perfect so far - there has been strategy developed around sticking together with adrenaline and slow-healing in infirmaries.

To those complaining about mission time, you're still keeping the materials you collect I think even if you fail, so it's never a waste of time.

To those complaining about the map, it did take me a while to figure out how the doors worked on it, but it's pretty clear once you get it.

I dunno. Seems like a lot of Calvinist naysayers in this thread, pre-determined to dislike this game because it didn't fit their image of what it was or "isn't good enough" for their free PS plus game. Give it a chance, play with a group online, keep asking for the bugs to be fixed... Seems like it has the potential to be the Castle Crashers of the generation - solid old-school play with new-school mechanics that is significantly more fun with friends than alone - but just the general feel I get is that the majority of people are approaching it with a closed mind. Is internet groupthink hurting this game? Is Merc Kings not player-friendly enough in the opening hour of play while also failing to foreshadow to players the increasing customizability that opens up as they progress (probably)? Do my friends and I just randomly enjoy this game more than most? Who knows, but I'm happy.

Started this last night. Nice retro platformer/shmup. The time restrictions are going to take a little getting used to, as will the weapon customisation.

Seems like a game I'll dip in and out of, but more than happy to have received through PS+. Doubt I would have bought it myself.

I'd echo the above comments about the map though. Been absolute useless for me so far.

Copy/pasting this from the other thread :
Protip 1 : Buy adrenalin shots, revives you on the spot and can be used to revive friends
Protip 2 : You can use the radio to order C4/First Aid kits/Pokeballs (only with areas with no boss)/Teleport you to your current spawn point for "free" (only uses radio battery which refills after each mission).
Protip 3 : When you're close to finishing a mission, order items with the radio and put them in your storage back at base, kits are expensive yo.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's definitely this game. Even free with ps+ I see no more than a handful of people sticking with it in a month

The time limit that they give you is more than enough to complete the objective. Even more so co-operatively. What I've found out in this game is there is not much reason to go exploring beyond the objective (unless you REALLY want more materials).

Protip 2 : You can use the radio to order C4/First Aid kits/Pokeballs (only with areas with no boss)/Teleport you to your current spawn point for "free" (only uses radio battery which refills after each mission)

I was able to order a shock bomb for the last mission on private. Not sure if it was because of a capturing mission. Teh third tip is pretty good though, will take that into account.

Doorman

Usually even when I'm playing alone, the vast majority of missions give enough time to comb through the entire map and still complete the objectives. As long as you have a simple understanding of how they lay out levels (a lot of the early levels have a front-half and a back-half, or top and bottom according to the ingame map, giving you two or three main aisles to sweep through) and upgrade to a stronger gun than what you first start off with, most time limits aren't an issue. Are people really just spending a ton of time standing around doing nothing, or what? Keep moving, soldiers.

Just bizarre attitudes towards the game in this thread. I played online with 3 friends last night. It definitely took us at least 30 minutes to figure out how everything worked and there were some bugs in getting our party together (possibly because some of us hadn't done the training mission?). However, once we got into the missions, figured out the crafting, figured out we could sell materials for big bucks, and upgraded our guns - it was great. We played the "Recruit" level boss about 3 times as we learned where we had to go and what we had to do to capture him, and it was awesome. Giving a limited number of total lives to the team is perfect so far - there has been strategy developed around sticking together with adrenaline and slow-healing in infirmaries.

I dunno. Seems like a lot of Calvinist naysayers in this thread, pre-determined to dislike this game because it didn't fit their image of what it was or "isn't good enough" for their free PS plus game. Give it a chance, play with a group online, keep asking for the bugs to be fixed... Seems like it has the potential to be the Castle Crashers of the generation - solid old-school play with new-school mechanics that is significantly more fun with friends than alone - but just the general feel I get is that the majority of people are approaching it with a closed mind. Is internet groupthink hurting this game? Is Merc Kings not player-friendly enough in the opening hour of play while also failing to foreshadow to players the increasing customizability that opens up as they progress (probably)? Do my friends and I just randomly enjoy this game more than most? Who knows, but I'm happy.

Like I said early and often, reaction to this game is VERY similar to how people approach Monster Hunter. Similar complaints about time limits, improper tutorials, difficulty, and the controls and moves not falling in-line with people's preconceived expectations of fast-paced action games. If it clicks, it's amazing, and if it doesn't then the game is shite. Same deal here.

I'm not sure what people are talking about with the audio glitches, outside of the game not seeming to figure out all the time when it should or shouldn't be playing the boss music online. Are the audio gripes limited to the PS4 version, or are my ears just not picking this up for some reason?

Vashetti

Banned
People earlier were mentioning a patch.

Turned on my PS4 - no update
Booted up the game - no update

The game is version 1.00, too

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
People earlier were mentioning a patch.

Turned on my PS4 - no update
Booted up the game - no update

The game is version 1.00, too

There's a way to trigger it, speak to the robot at the camp. At least that's how I got it.

I'm not sure what people are talking about with the audio glitches, outside of the game not seeming to figure out all the time when it should or shouldn't be playing the boss music online. Are the audio gripes limited to the PS4 version, or are my ears just not picking this up for some reason?

i have the PC and PS4 versions. The PS4 has some issues with sound dropping out here and there, it's odd. also given how fast the loads are on pc, I'm completely boggled as to why it takes like 30 seconds to load a stage on PS4.

Mask

I was playing Co-op with my brother earlier, and despite setting the game to "Invite", a random guy still joined. Isn't there any real Private setting?

So, after my initial negative impressions Tuesday I played the game again last night and gave it another chance. I completed several missions and upgraded my weapon (I prefer the shotgun to the pistol) and I still don't like it. I'm over the jump-delay, load times, and glitches, but even if you overlook all that, the game is just repetitive and boring. I deleted it.

FWIW, I hate Monster Hunter style games too so maybe it never had a chance with me.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I was playing Co-op with my brother earlier, and despite setting the game to "Invite", a random guy still joined. Isn't there any real Private setting?

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday (pre-patch). Invite only, random dude me or my friend has never seen joined, and there is no way to kick players (I think). so we just rolled with him.

TheGamer

THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS. I repeat THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS

whaa.gif

Wow, I had no idea that the knife was able to do that. I tried the first level last night with my friend and although it was fun, the enemies respawned fairly quickly. Also, we had no idea how to revive each other until I did a quick google search and found that you need an item to revive teammates. The game is fun and I look forward to playing it tonight.

As someone mentioned earlier, if this game wasn't offered on the instant game collection, I probably wouldn't have tried it out. $20 is a hefty price tag to pay. I would have probably picked this game up at $10 or less.

tranciful

lol you just listed two mainstream games as some sort of testament of difficulty? I've never heard of anyone describing Assassin's Creed as being hard.

This game is comparable to MH/DS but it's still probably easier than those.

Doorman

By the way, a quick tip for taking on the Auto Loaders (aka the large jumping robots):

They always jump and fire one bullet as soon as they land. A quick shoot to damage then knife to deflect the bullet works, but last night I realized how much easier they actually are. If the loader happens to land behind you, not only will you be out of range of his bullet, but he goes through a turning-around animation that takes a second or two before he does his next jump. If you walk or roll underneath him, you have free reign to wail on him as he turns around, then just walk under him again when he jumps and repeat. Using this strategy makes fighting them super-easy, and considering they seem to like appearing as side or secret objectives, and they drop boss-level items like blade shards and leaf springs, they're definitely worth taking on when you find them.

tranciful

Protip 2 : You can use the radio to order C4/First Aid kits/Pokeballs (only with areas with no boss)/Teleport you to your current spawn point for "free" (only uses radio battery which refills after each mission).

I was able to order a shock bomb for the last mission on private. Not sure if it was because of a capturing mission. Teh third tip is pretty good though, will take that into account.

Yeah I was able to order a shock trap during an online co-op mission to capture steel soldier. Or by "area," do you literally mean the closed off area you're fighting the boss in?

By the way, a quick tip for taking on the Auto Loaders (aka the large jumping robots):

They always jump and fire one bullet as soon as they land. A quick shoot to damage then knife to deflect the bullet works, but last night I realized how much easier they actually are. If the loader happens to land behind you, not only will you be out of range of his bullet, but he goes through a turning-around animation that takes a second or two before he does his next jump. If you walk or roll underneath him, you have free reign to wail on him as he turns around, then just walk under him again when he jumps and repeat. Using this strategy makes fighting them super-easy, and considering they seem to like appearing as side or secret objectives, and they drop boss-level items like blade shards and leaf springs, they're definitely worth taking on when you find them.

Thanks for the strategy. I've been avoiding these guys like the plague but now im a try & go underneath them

coldfoot

Banned
lol you just listed two mainstream games as some sort of testament of difficulty? I've never heard of anyone describing Assassin's Creed as being hard.
Killzone 2/3/SF on Hard, UC2 on Crushing, UC3 on Hard (didn't feel like replaying it again)?
Demon's Souls?

Not saying I'm a good player but I'm competent enough to beat those games with the stated difficulty levels. If I have trouble just with the very first mission in this game, they obviously fucked up. Maybe you 1337 gamerz beat Silver Surfer for breakfast, but game is difficult and annoying and the constant Monster Hunter comparisons will make sure I will never try to play those games as well.

I like it so far. Jumping kind of messed me up a few times but I'm trying to get used to it. I wish they either made it delayed or the longer you hold it down the higher you jump, not both.

So far I've played two or three of the first missions solo, customized an assault rifle and played coop with a random guy where he guided me to a boss and left for me to fight it alone, then pulled me out to camp where he was just chilling.

I don't really understand what's going on with that, but it was still fun.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Killzone 2/3/SF on Hard, UC2 on Crushing, UC3 on Hard (didn't feel like replaying it again)?
Demon's Souls?

Not saying I'm a good player but I'm competent enough to beat those games with the stated difficulty levels. If I have trouble just with the very first mission in this game, they obviously fucked up. Maybe you 1337 gamerz beat Silver Surfer for breakfast, but game is difficult and annoying and the constant Monster Hunter comparisons will make sure I will never try to play those games as well.

There's a definite learning curve but I don't think one of the adjectives I would use to describe the first mission is "difficult". Maybe a little tedious when you're getting accustomed to the controls.

Yeah I was able to order a shock trap during an online co-op mission to capture steel soldier. Or by "area," do you literally mean the closed off area you're fighting the boss in?

May be a bug only found in the PC ver. then, I've tried to order shock bombs several times in capture missions but the only option Cadillac had was to spot the boss which was already done since I had the computer bionic mod.

tranciful

Demon's Souls?

Your loss

Top Bottom