• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercenary Kings |OT| It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands (lol)

Did u know YOUR HEALTH RECHARGES IN THE INFIRMARY?

I just found out by picking up my phone at a save point and whaaaaaaaaat.....

Everyone saying this is hard, ummm this is no demon souls. Just give it time.... U kno like when u pay for a game u give it time before u discard it. This game gets shitted on more cause it's free. It's easy to quit after a level when it's free.

Mengetsu

The only bad thing about the game is that it has no chat online. In 2014 no chat. Trying to play with other people online is a chore because of this. It really is ment to play with friends and party chat.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The only bad thing about the game is that it has no chat online. In 2014 no chat. Trying to play with other people online is a chore because of this. It really is ment to play with friends and part chat.

I hear what you're saying. I was also surprised that the game itself does not have a dedicated chat channel. At least it has one of those in game chat phrases, reminds me of Castlevania HD.

aro52

The only bad thing about the game is that it has no chat online. In 2014 no chat. Trying to play with other people online is a chore because of this. It really is ment to play with friends and part chat.

PS4 has a party chat system... Been using in while co-oping this with a buddy. Works great.

ojqocz.png

Doorman

BRAVO ZULU

An actual ingame group chat would be fantastic, since it makes coordinating your group a hell of a lot easier. When you can divide and conquer in gathering quests or keep track of each other and a boss, the game really starts coming into its own more. ...Again, much like Monster Hunter.

Like I said early and often, reaction to this game is VERY similar to how people approach Monster Hunter. Similar complaints about time limits, improper tutorials, difficulty, and the controls and moves not falling in-line with people's preconceived expectations of fast-paced action games. If it clicks, it's amazing, and if it doesn't then the game is shite. Same deal here.

It's really funny actually. I guess we should be glad no one's complaining about a lock-on function this time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, uninstalled. I tried to like this game, but it's just too slow and clunky.

Lucent

I have not played Metal Slug apart from the second one in arcade. I presume it is good but hard

Yeah I died a lot in Metal Slug, but I played console versions where you can have infinite lives. Still feels bad when you kind of lose track of how many times you died though. lol

Based on the early posts in this thread i didn't expect to like this. Loving it sofar. Time limits are fine and it's really fun. Great free game that I would definetly recommend to give a try!

JON4495

Love this game, me and a friend have made it to the rank 3 missions so far. The gun customisation is really cool, currently rocking a gun with a flower as the sight and a trombone on the end, and also a plunger for a knife.

Reebot

It's really funny actually. I guess we should be glad no one's complaining about a lock-on function this time.

Well, this is a case of virtually everything about the game - from its looks to its advertisements right down to its title screen - suggesting it'd be a non-stop fast-paced side-scrolling shooter and then having it reveal itself as a much different experience.

I think the complaints and negative reactions are completely warranted.

The only bad thing about the game is that it has no chat online. In 2014 no chat. Trying to play with other people online is a chore because of this. It really is ment to play with friends and party chat.

oh really... damn. Yeah I played the Steam version and it had voice chat.

I find it odd that PS4 games can make it through certification while lacking voice chat in multiplayer, it happened initially with Killzone: Shadow Fall as well. You'd never see this in an XBOne game although its voice chat has its own issues, especially with multiple consoles on the same local network.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm enjoying it, but is there a way to not have randoms come into your game? I just want to play with a friend. I set it to invite and only invited him, but still ended up with some other random people coming into the game.

By the way, a quick tip for taking on the Auto Loaders (aka the large jumping robots):

They always jump and fire one bullet as soon as they land. A quick shoot to damage then knife to deflect the bullet works, but last night I realized how much easier they actually are. If the loader happens to land behind you, not only will you be out of range of his bullet, but he goes through a turning-around animation that takes a second or two before he does his next jump. If you walk or roll underneath him, you have free reign to wail on him as he turns around, then just walk under him again when he jumps and repeat. Using this strategy makes fighting them super-easy, and considering they seem to like appearing as side or secret objectives, and they drop boss-level items like blade shards and leaf springs, they're definitely worth taking on when you find them.

The same applies for the raid rovers. Once they lift up to fire bullets it's a sign to move/run/roll to the other end of the arena. Otherwise you are already dead. Just did a mission where I fought four of these bad boys on my own

Found the medium/large meat. You have to do a mission where you fix the bridge for tbone and it unlocks a new area in the hunting grounds

maouvin

Made my gun and tent specially for gaf

2QTOZ5G.jpg

It meows when you shoot it

Oh, that's what ornaments are for!

And after wasting a ton of shock bombs (I failed the mission twice) trying to make it explode right on front of the steel soldier, I decided to thow it at the cockpit for huge success.

Doorman

Maybe I'm just strange, but I literally never realized that there even was a brief delay on jumps until I read people complaining about it in this thread. Maybe I'm just too easy to please or something but a lot of the recurring complaints (aside from the PS4 audio and invite issues--I'm playing on Steam) feel to me like total non-issues. Jump delay, time limits, enemy respawns...aside from the likes of Riot Griffs, most enemies go down quickly enough that it doesn't slow down your progress overmuch. It beats having to backtrack through completely barren zones while searching for materials or chasing down a boss.

I still haven't completely determined what my favorite weapon class is, but I am finding myself slightly partial towards assault rifles. That three-shot burst is pretty versatile!

Totally agree with the loading time complaints, I mean come on ... Its ridiculous. I've found this with a lot of ps4 stuff, everything just seems to take ages to load.

As for this game,its better than last months forgettable offering. I can understand the mega man and metal slug comparisons but don't agree with them necessarily. The steel solider mission annoyed me to the point where I thought fuck it, I'll give it another go tomorrow. Got to admit I think the best thing about the game is the fucking badass soundtrack to be honest!

coldfoot

Banned
I decided to give this another shot and this time I fared better and completed a couple missions.
The problem is in the steel soldier mission, I find it, then shoot it a bit, then it goes away to appear on another area that I have to get to. Repeat indefinitely.
Is this by design? Won't it stay in the same location until killed? What makes it move to a different area? If this is done on purpose and not a weird bug or glitch, then I'm quitting this game for good.

I decided to give this another shot and this time I fared better and completed a couple missions.
The problem is in the steel soldier mission, I find it, then shoot it a bit, then it goes away to appear on another area that I have to get to. Repeat indefinitely.
Is this by design? Won't it stay in the same location until killed? What makes it move to a different area? If this is done on purpose and not a weird bug or glitch, then I'm quitting this game for good.
It's a game mechanic taken from Monster Hunter. Bosses will retreat to other areas, although I'm not quite sure what exactly causes them to do so. Damage? Time? Chance? Regardless, they are trackable on the map once you battle them, so it's easy to find them again.

It's a tad annoying sometimes, but I'm okay with it since I'm a big Monster Hunter fan. You also get a trophy for killing a boss before it can retreat.

It's a game mechanic taken from Monster Hunter. Bosses will retreat to other areas, although I'm not quite sure what exactly causes them to do so. Damage? Time? Chance? Regardless, they are trackable on the map once you battle them, so it's easy to find them again.

It's a tad annoying sometimes, but I'm okay with it since I'm a big Monster Hunter fan. You also get a trophy for killing a boss before it can retreat.

I'm pretty sure that it's a timer thing. Once you know their pattern it becomes pretty easy to just unload on them and take them out before they can retreat.

Griss

My experience so far:

1. 'Mercenary Kings for PS4 on PS+? What the fuck is that? Never heard of it. Let's give it a download.'
2. 'Holy shit, is that Paul Robertson sprite work! Fuck yes, I love that guy! Oh holy shit, this is a Metal Slug style game! I LOVE those games!'
3. 'It's like Metal Slug, but the movement is a little... sluggish. Huh, these load times are ridiculous for a sprite based game. Intro was slow, too. Slow start.'
4. 'Man, why is there so much bullshit? I don't want to craft guns, I want to shoot bad guys. This game isn't what I thought at all. These missions are confusing! And the map is hard to control!'

That's as far as I got. About 3 missions in. So far I've learned that it's not what I thought it was going to be. Which is Metal Slug. It might turn out to be something equally good, but damn I wish it played like Metal Slug. There's a lot of crap that could be left out that would make it better, and the jump delay is freaking me out, I keep getting stuck on tiny ledges that I don't clear because my character doesn't react when I expect them to.

Still, it's gorgeous, and I'm going to give it a fair shot. I just hope it doesn't end up like Scott Pilgrim - a game I desperately wanted to love but ultimately couldn't even like.

coldfoot

Banned

I was able to beat it after a while but the game is extremely tedious and annoying. At least I can say now that I gave it a shot and it was horrible. 4/10
It's also a safe bet that I won't even look at MH type games with wonder any more. Japan can keep it.

VariantX

I really wish I could bring my character data over to my friend's place and play couch co-op without having to start over. Having quite a bit of fun with this.

ReaperXL7

Yeah, they further I get in this the more I love it. I will admit that it's much more fun in multiplayer (like most hunting style games), but I have been playing a lot in SP due to lack of finding some good partners to play with and still really enjoying it.

I really love the depth of the gun crafting, I like the way that they guns have an effect on your character (jumping/speed), and every time I think I may have found a flaw there is a mod, or gun part, etc that fixes it so I can't complain much. I guess it helps that I knew a bunch about this game before playing it but it's pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be.

Yeah, they further I get in this the more I love it. I will admit that it's much more fun in multiplayer (like most hunting style games), but I have been playing a lot in SP due to lack of finding some good partners to play with and still really enjoying it.

I really love the depth of the gun crafting, I like the way that they guns have an effect on your character (jumping/speed), and every time I think I may have found a flaw there is a mod, or gun part, etc that fixes it so I can't complain much. I guess it helps that I knew a bunch about this game before playing it but it's pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I was expecting Metal Slug, so I didn't have the best first impression. I'm really starting to enjoy it though. I'm finally getting the hang of all the different nuances and mechanics that I'm not used to.

The game still really needs some patches though. Long loading screens, sound stuttering, crashes, etc. are unacceptable in a game like this. (Especially on hardware this powerful)

ReaperXL7

I'm starting to feel the same way. I was expecting Metal Slug, so I didn't have the best first impression. I'm really starting to enjoy it though. I'm finally getting the hang of all the different nuances and mechanics that I'm not used to.

The game still really needs some patches though. Long loading screens, sound stuttering, crashes, etc. are unacceptable in a game like this. (Especially on hardware this powerful)

Oh I agree that the technical issues need to be worked out, and the devs seem to be aware of them so hopefully they can fix up the loading and crashing especially. It sucks when your in the middle of a boss fight and the game just crashes.

Fought a boss recently
it's a giant mechanical dog that has rainbow powers, and shoots missiles from its ass being driven by a terrier with an eye patch
thought that was pretty awesome.

I didn't like a few things about the features of this game, but I forced myself to play it, even though I didn't like them, and my opinion of it is changing little by little. Now that I got a much better gun, things seem to be working better for me.

JJD

This game would be a lot better if the controls were not so awful. I like everything about it except the controls.

ReaperXL7

It's interesting to me seeing people talk about some of the issues they are having (that are not technical issues) as the more I play the more I think it would he akin to people having similar issues in a game like Demon's Souls.

In DS if you pick the heaviest pieces of gear your character moves like a tank, but they are also built like one and can take more punishment, but if you take the lightest gear you have much more mobility but far less overall power or defence.

Its similar here in that if you want the minigun you can have it but it will come with pros and cons. With something like a mini you get more rounds in your clip, higher damage, and a higher fire rate, but the cons are that you sacrifice mobility, speed, and you end up with longer reload times.

If you want to move faster equip a solid pistol, and then grab the speed mod and it does the trick imo. I like power>speed but I have two primary builds. I take my big guns to execution/capture missions, and then I take something like a pistol on missions that require more mobility...stuff like infiltration,gathering, etc.

It has a metal slug/megaman skin but I feel like the comparisons hurt the game more then help because the core of the game is a great rpg and hunting mix. In the majority of side scrollers you don't have to bother with stats/gear/upgrades, but in this all of that stuff matters to your gameplay experience.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The game has now froze 8 times in a row on the snitch mission when engaging the steel soldier. Anyone else?

system11

Stuck with the game despite the clunky jumping, it started to grow on me a bit now. I'd like it if they patch the controls though. Hard to disagree with 'free' either way.

Yeah, they further I get in this the more I love it.

I didn't like a few things about the features of this game, but I forced myself to play it, even though I didn't like them, and my opinion of it is changing little by little. Now that I got a much better gun, things seem to be working better for me.

Stuck with the game despite the clunky jumping, it started to grow on me a bit now.
This seems to be kind of a general consensus from a few of the places I've read. People think it'll be Metal Slug (With good reason), it's very different than what they thought, they start to dislike it because of various gameplay mechanics or technical issues, and then they start to enjoy it if they give it another chance.

I know that's how it worked with me. Co-op definitely makes this game so much more fun as well.

Codiox

This game is beta! And confusing too...where is my ps+ driveclub?

And why the hell are there loadingtimes??? even The SNES didnt had loadingtimes for this kind of games.

I thought co-op was awesome, till I found out that with each death, we all lose a part of the missions reward……….we got $0 a few times………wasnt a happy camper since I didnt die once.

Number45

I wonder how many people would have taken to this in a much better way if they hadn't approached it expecting a Metal Slug clone.

I've played now about 8 missions (about 2-3 hours). I think the game is OK for now, but maybe the beginning is too slow. Hard to say, if I want to finish the game. It depends how the gameplay develops after the first basic missions. Also I haven't tried multiplayer at all, that might be fun.

Overall for a free PS+ game it is fine, but I would have paid 18€ for this, I'd be disappointed.

Squozen

I just tried this and so far the PS4 version is feeling pretty rough. Bad load times, audio stutters and very clunky controls. I'll let them put out a patch but if it doesn't improve I think I'll be deleting it.

K.Sabot

I hope they consider this game beta still because it does not run like a game that is finished.

It runs like my junior year programming project.

JON4495

Just found out you can sell the crafting materials you come across, I had absolutely no idea. Items like aluminum and brass which you find everywhere sell for about $40 apiece, and if you have a large amount of unused materials then the money adds up fast.

Definitely helps out when you need to stock up on items like adrenaline shots or something

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I've played now about 8 missions (about 2-3 hours). I think the game is OK for now, but maybe the beginning is too slow. Hard to say, if I want to finish the game. It depends how the gameplay develops after the first basic missions. Also I haven't tried multiplayer at all, that might be fun.

Overall for a free PS+ game it is fine, but I would have paid 18€ for this, I'd be disappointed.

Playing multiplayer is honestly where this game shines, really reminds me of Castlevania Harmony of Despair. Kind of mundane playing by yourself, but with a friend the game just opens up lots of fun.

Top Bottom