• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercenary Kings |OT| It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands (lol)

Gurrry

Got this game on steam this past weekend. It really is great. The quicklook did NOT do it justice.

I wish there were more bosses though. Im only at rank 3 so I hope there are alot more towards the end.

ReaperXL7

Got this game on steam this past weekend. It really is great. The quicklook did NOT do it justice.

I wish there were more bosses though. Im only at rank 3 so I hope there are alot more towards the end.

There is a nice mix of bosses, usually they split up new bosses/levels between ranks though more then between each level. So for Rookie you'll get Steel Soldiers, then next rank you'll get Steel Soldiers+New boss type, etc.

Some of the later bosses get pretty crazy, I am having a hell of a time with these Prime Soldier asshats.

ReaperXL7

Anyone beaten the 3 Prime Soldiers solo and have some tips? I'm getting wrecked at this point, and the only video posted of this fight is of a co op run.

codhand

Trying to get into it, but the enemies seemed designed to frustrate, and my weapon still sucks even though i've dumped 2.5 / 3 hrs into the game. It's just OK so far.

Music and graphics are good. But initially I had to recreate my character as a male after seeing the female character was 75% bouncing tits.

Pyrrhus

Music and graphics are good. But initially I had to recreate my character as a male after seeing the female character was 75% bouncing tits.

That's Paul Robertson for you. Even when he's trying to be "normal" it sneaks in. Just be glad she's not shooting fetuses that turn in muppets out of her nipples.

IISANDERII

For the modifications which allow different ammo, are they expensive and do they weigh your character down? Do you have to buy more after each mission? I have no idea how any of it works.

KDR_11k

For the modifications which allow different ammo, are they expensive and do they weigh your character down? Do you have to buy more after each mission? I have no idea how any of it works.

You can just equip that ammo, no penalties or additional cost once you have it crafted (like any other part). Well, besides some types doing less damage than standard bullets. Getting parts with 100% compatibility together is enough of a cost already.

Is there any way to remove the map/stats on the bottom half of the screen during 2 player co op? It's really annoying. Plz GAF

im pretty much addicted to this game now. At first, I didn't like it at all, gave it more time. Now I play it everyday. Even the frequent crashes isnt stopping me. Man, if the next borderlands had weapon customization like this.

But man.the rifles and submachine guns is great and all, but, those magnums and shotguns are BEAST MODE. Finding the right combination of parts and I be clearing house with most enemies going down with a single shot.

Betty

Banned
Anyone beaten the 3 Prime Soldiers solo and have some tips? I'm getting wrecked at this point, and the only video posted of this fight is of a co op run.

I had the Turtle mod on, brought 2 First Aid kits, then radioed Bluebell for 2 more when they got extinguished. It is a really hard fight though, I just made it on my last life with 2 hits to my health bar remaining.

Flipyap

I was loving this game, but then the Dam level happened and it turned into the most miserable experience.
Enemies constantly respawn on the platform I'm still standing on, and now the game wants me to do actual platforming with the worst jump in the history of bad controls. This is really bumming me out.

IISANDERII

You can just equip that ammo, no penalties or additional cost once you have it crafted (like any other part). Well, besides some types doing less damage than standard bullets. Getting parts with 100% compatibility together is enough of a cost already.
Thanks

Was this posted yet?

Developer teasing their new game:

BkoXDL4CIAEbZL4.jpg

I'm guessing Ghost 'n Goblins/Ghouls 'n Ghosts inspired.

Awesome, another game where flaws can be hidden behind "difficulty"

skybald

im pretty much addicted to this game now. At first, I didn't like it at all, gave it more time. Now I play it everyday. Even the frequent crashes isnt stopping me. Man, if the next borderlands had weapon customization like this.

But man.the rifles and submachine guns is great and all, but, those magnums and shotguns are BEAST MODE. Finding the right combination of parts and I be clearing house with most enemies going down with a single shot.

Don't have a feel for this gane yet, but I will probably play it properly this summer when there are less games I am trying to finish up

Edgeward

The Rush N Retrieve mission has a single platforming jump that requires such pixel perfect positioning to make. I had to look online to see you can switch to your transmitter to change your weight class and summon an item as well to gain extra inches to mitigate the difficulty. Just a heads up for anyone doing it. It is also the only one where the time limit becomes a factor as you are given only 5 minutes to make it end to end.

Did anyone else face any trouble killing the steel soldier with the knife?

I can damage it just fine when the steel soldier is facing left, the canopy opens and I can just hit it with enough distance and do damage but when the steel soldier is facing right, then I cannot damage it, tried close stabs, edge stabs etc but only a *null damage* sign would pop up everytime.

Still managed to beat it.

Did anyone else face any trouble killing the steel soldier with the knife?

I can damage it just fine when the steel soldier is facing left, the canopy opens and I can just hit it with enough distance and do damage but when the steel soldier is facing right, then I cannot damage it, tried close stabs, edge stabs etc but only a *null damage* sign would pop up everytime.

Still managed to beat it.

it's easier if you have that implant that lets you roll through things without taking damage, even though it's still hard to roll through steel soldiers. have a knife with a lot of range. maybe acid damage.

oh yeah side note: acid damage goes through armor. don't ask me how many hours of this game it took me to figure that one out.

Vashetti

Banned
My PS4 doesn't detect there's a patch (1.01) for this game at all.

I boot up the console - nothing
Boot up the game - nothing
Deleted, redownload and install the game - nothing

Works for every other game. As far as my PS4 is concerned, there is no patch for this game.

My PS4 doesn't detect there's a patch (1.01) for this game at all.

I boot up the console - nothing
Boot up the game - nothing
Deleted, redownload and install the game - nothing

Works for every other game. As far as my PS4 is concerned, there is no patch for this game.

I think someone mentioned earlier you have to talk to the robot and connect online for it to activate (lol)

IISANDERII

I have nearly 10hrs played and only have 2 measly bronze trophies. That really irks me and having to go look at the trophy list to find out what to do is terrible game design IMO.

Man the orange mew cat gun is ridiculous. Making meow sounds with every shot. And the gun is literally a cat shooting a gun of its own. Silly.

But the stats though, got dayum.

100% accuracy
very light
reload under two seconds and it has a VERY wide bonus reload field that adds 10% damage
it has like 5 rounds
and its around 1000 damage

geezus…..and the gun is a SHOTGUN at that……….

smoothj

This game is awesome and works great with Remote Play. I'm close to finishing the recruit missions and ready to really upgrade my gun.

Fuck i've had 3 crashes now in the middle of boss battles. Not even sure if the damn patches made things worst.

EDIT: Make it 4 on the Metalwulf battle

EDIT2: Well I figured out its because I exploited an elevator that allows you to leave and reenter the boss arena. lol gg

Whoa, you can jump farther if you equip a first aid kit or something instead of your weapon

That because this game has a weight system similar to dark souls. The heavier the items you have equipped, the slower you run and jump and stuff.

By switching from your gun to another item, the weight of the gun is subtracted from your over all weight, so your weight limit itsnt as high, so you will run faster and jump higher.

Your weight becomes a very big issue in the late game where it requires you to do a lot of jumping and manuvering and a heavy gun is only going to make those boss battles much harder since your character aint jumping far or high enough.

Also, everything has a weight, the supplies, the character mods, the knife and the gunparts.

So its very good to keep an eye on the weight of your items.

By hitting the track pad and going to status, you can see what you current weight is and see the weight of all the items you have on your character. At the bottom, it will tell you your movement speed and total weight your carrying.

very fast
fast
normal
slow
very slow(you do not want to be in this area, you cant even roll and you move very very slow and your jumps suck)

5.1-8kg is normal to give you a sense of the scale.
and anything over 11kg puts you at very slow.
Anything under 5.0kg puts you at fast or very fast.

and average weight of a gun with a part in each slot is like 4.0kg

There are some gun parts that increases a bunch of my guns stats but it makes the over all gun very heavy, so I dont even use the part.

be careful with those character mods too. They are very heavy. Like just putting on one adds like 2.4kg to your weight. adding two, your pretty much going to be slow unless you got a very light gun.
Try to stay under 8.0kg as anything over that will put you into slow or very slow.

the whole weight limit system changed the game for me because no I have to be super causious about what supplies and mods to take into battle. And the fact that even if you dont use a knife at all, its still taking up weight that you would rather use else where like carrying two more rations instead.

Man the orange mew cat gun is ridiculous. Making meow sounds with every shot. And the gun is literally a cat shooting a gun of its own. Silly.

But the stats though, got dayum.

100% accuracy
very light
reload under two seconds and it has a VERY wide bonus reload field that adds 10% damage
it has like 5 rounds
and its around 1000 damage

geezus…..and the gun is a SHOTGUN at that……….

I must acquire this.

see5harp

Finally played a bit of this. I've hard crashed 3 times on a boss. That's extremely frustrating when you go through the same boring level 8 times and the damn boss spawn is random every time.

Edgeward

What missions/rank has the guy that I need to rescue in order to repair the jungle bridge? I need that medium meat, man

That because this game has a weight system similar to dark souls. The heavier the items you have equipped, the slower you run and jump and stuff.

By switching from your gun to another item, the weight of the gun is subtracted from your over all weight, so your weight limit itsnt as high, so you will run faster and jump higher.

Your weight becomes a very big issue in the late game where it requires you to do a lot of jumping and manuvering and a heavy gun is only going to make those boss battles much harder since your character aint jumping far or high enough.

Also, everything has a weight, the supplies, the character mods, the knife and the gunparts.

So its very good to keep an eye on the weight of your items.

By hitting the track pad and going to status, you can see what you current weight is and see the weight of all the items you have on your character. At the bottom, it will tell you your movement speed and total weight your carrying.

very fast
fast
normal
slow
very slow(you do not want to be in this area, you cant even roll and you move very very slow and your jumps suck)

5.1-8kg is normal to give you a sense of the scale.
and anything over 11kg puts you at very slow.
Anything under 5.0kg puts you at fast or very fast.

and average weight of a gun with a part in each slot is like 4.0kg

There are some gun parts that increases a bunch of my guns stats but it makes the over all gun very heavy, so I dont even use the part.

be careful with those character mods too. They are very heavy. Like just putting on one adds like 2.4kg to your weight. adding two, your pretty much going to be slow unless you got a very light gun.
Try to stay under 8.0kg as anything over that will put you into slow or very slow.

the whole weight limit system changed the game for me because no I have to be super causious about what supplies and mods to take into battle. And the fact that even if you dont use a knife at all, its still taking up weight that you would rather use else where like carrying two more rations instead.

What weapon customization do you recommend? I'm on major and getting bored of my shotgun cat

Finally played a bit of this. I've hard crashed 3 times on a boss. That's extremely frustrating when you go through the same boring level 8 times and the damn boss spawn is random every time.

Yeah the crashes are annoying hopefully the latest patch fixes most of this. Protip: You can use your transmitter to call Cadillac and he will show you precisely where the Boss is on the map.

What missions/rank has the guy that I need to rescue in order to repair the jungle bridge? I need that medium meat, man

Its one of the lower tier ranks. I think its 'jungle hunt'?, iirc the goal is to collect 10 wood. It helps A TON to use the hoarder mod and kill the baby mandrakes. They automatically drop wood.

What weapon customization do you recommend? I'm on major and getting bored of my shotgun cat

I was with shotgun cat for a while then I switched to Magnum gun with Bounce bullets. Magnums are pretty much shotguns in damage if you aren't using the buckshot ammo.

Right now i'm using a Magnum (Clint 500 I think) modified to shoot Super Missiles (Homing + Large ammo)

maouvin

Merc Kings is coming to the Vita, people, and with cross-buy (so almost everyone will get it for free - I find it rather silly, but won't complain). They just need to confirm dat cross-save now.
(confirmed on PAX East, as reported on Dtoid and VG247. Can't provide links atm)

Actually, im on the same rank as you and Im using the orange shotgun cat myself. So far, its the best damn shotgun to me, and thats all I pretty much use.

I've tried using the submachine guns, assault rifles, and machine guns, but those usually take a couple shots to kill an enemy where as the shotgun usually kills them in one or two blast.

The snipers would be great, but everyone ive tried had a crazy long reload time, like 3 damn seconds or more........wut!?

The handguns just straight up suck.

But the magnums though, those are a fucking beast. The clint 500..................got fucking damn that thing is a monster.

I use mostly shotguns and I sometimes use the magnums when I need precision.

On my cat shotgun, I use the birdshot type ammos since they got a wide spread and can hit multiple enemies and even hit enemies diagonally. Which is damn useful. So I dont have to be super precise in my aiming. Just point in their general direction and somethings gonna hit em.

I want to see what the buckshot ammo is about but I dont got the materials needed to make em though.

I mostly use weapon customizations that make me use a particular ammot type. SO my cat shotgun, any part that takes my shotgun rating past 100%, I dont use. Any part that makes my gun too heavy, I dont use. SO that limits a lot of the parts I can use. My cat shotgun doesnt even have a magazine, a scope, nor a stock. Just a long barrel and the ammo. The reciever by itself wrecks face.

Since your tired of it, I'd say try the other cat weapon or just a differen ammo type and see if that changes up your gameplay some.

Kurod

Banned
Not sure if it's the gun type or the ammo type but when I jump and shoot downward with my magnum round firing machine gun my descent is slowed allowing me to jump much farther. Made Rush N Retrieve much easier.

Not sure if it's the gun type or the ammo type but when I jump and shoot downward with my magnum round firing machine gun my descent is slowed allowing me to jump much farther. Made Rush N Retrieve much easier.

Oh yea, I know what your talking about. The force of the recoil pushes you back.

when standing still, shooting my shotgun causes my character to move back slightly with every shot. Have to be REAL careful when shooting from a platform thats as wide as my character with death pits on either side.

In a multiplayer session, I once saw a guy glide across the screen with his machine gun shooting down. I was like.......................well damn.

vypek

Interesting game. It isn't too bad but definitely has some problems that I'm not too keen on. Overall I think it is an OK game. I just got to sergeant and there seems to be a big boost in all the enemies. The problem is that the guns that were made available at the same time sucks. I have to use my old gun or make a new one from old parts. I switched from my shotgun to an smg and it seems to be working alright. Some very weird choices for some enemies. Many mods are simply ok while others suck. Damage received seems to jump but armor goes up by a set amount and also has items that seem hard to come by. I'm definitely not going for full completion of trophies.

Its a nice game to kill some time and play once in a while. I still haven't played online. There are some design choices I don't like but its a decent game.

Actually, im on the same rank as you and Im using the orange shotgun cat myself. So far, its the best damn shotgun to me, and thats all I pretty much use.

I've tried using the submachine guns, assault rifles, and machine guns, but those usually take a couple shots to kill an enemy where as the shotgun usually kills them in one or two blast.

The snipers would be great, but everyone ive tried had a crazy long reload time, like 3 damn seconds or more........wut!?

The handguns just straight up suck.

But the magnums though, those are a fucking beast. The clint 500..................got fucking damn that thing is a monster.

I use mostly shotguns and I sometimes use the magnums when I need precision.

On my cat shotgun, I use the birdshot type ammos since they got a wide spread and can hit multiple enemies and even hit enemies diagonally. Which is damn useful. So I dont have to be super precise in my aiming. Just point in their general direction and somethings gonna hit em.

I want to see what the buckshot ammo is about but I dont got the materials needed to make em though.

I mostly use weapon customizations that make me use a particular ammot type. SO my cat shotgun, any part that takes my shotgun rating past 100%, I dont use. Any part that makes my gun too heavy, I dont use. SO that limits a lot of the parts I can use. My cat shotgun doesnt even have a magazine, a scope, nor a stock. Just a long barrel and the ammo. The reciever by itself wrecks face.

Since your tired of it, I'd say try the other cat weapon or just a differen ammo type and see if that changes up your gameplay some.

Buckshot was ok but I switched to caustic to be able to cut through armor while staying back, I'm only using one attachment that gives me some fire damage + long range....it's kind of ridiculous

And with the Magazine body mod I get 8 shots and the double reload time isn't a big deal since the green part of the reload bar is huge

Top Bottom