• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercenary Kings |OT| It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands (lol)

FHIZ

Is it always crashing at the same place?

For me it is. I'm on "The Snitch" level in the recruit missions and it crashes when the guy gets in the steel soldier every time. I got there on launch day and had no problem, I just lost the mission (destroyed the thing) but it seems that Thursday's patch is what broke the game for me, because I can't even start the fight now.

LakeEarth

Yeah activating the boss battle in The Snitch seems like a common crash point. Even when it finally didn't crash on me, it hitched really hard.

Also, is there a way to restart a mission, or quit to the HUB world? All I can ever do is quit to the title screen, which is ridiculous when coupled with the bafflingly terrible load times.

I really like the game, but holy hell was it not ready for release.

ReaperXL7

Yeah activating the boss battle in The Snitch seems like a common crash point. Even when it finally didn't crash on me, it hitched really hard.

Also, is there a way to restart a mission, or quit to the HUB world? All I can ever do is quit to the title screen, which is ridiculous when coupled with the bafflingly terrible load times.

Yes, you can quit back to camp through your transceiver.

Darklord

Banned
Holy shit the boss level from that GB quick look. Who thought that was a good idea? And this game was in early access? Wow.

methane47

This game is fun but lord jesus does it run like garbage...

How the hell did this pass certification?
This is the worst performing game i've played in years!
and there is really nothing in the game that should make it run this bad!

S1kkZ

played for 8 hours now, not a single crash. but i am at a point where i really dont want to play anymore: the time limits now are fucking crazy. i had some fun with it, but asking 20$ for this buggy, unfinished piece of software is just insane.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
For me it is. I'm on "The Snitch" level in the recruit missions and it crashes when the guy gets in the steel soldier every time. I got there on launch day and had no problem, I just lost the mission (destroyed the thing) but it seems that Thursday's patch is what broke the game for me, because I can't even start the fight now.

Doh, silly me, I forgot to ask one important bit:

You guys having crashes and just general issues, are you playing the PS4 or PC versions? I have both, but I havent touched the PC version in months, been playing the PS4 version.

That being said, PS4 version seems to run just fine. I've had only one crash, it kicked me back to the Home screen, but otherwise, runs fine.

ReaperXL7

Holy shit, I just went through a set of stages that brought back some flashbacks. Almost broke my controller

I hope you guys that are sticking with it liked the Medusa heads in Castlevania.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I just went through a set of stages that brought back some flashbacks. Almost broke my controller

I hope you guys that are sticking with it liked the Medusa heads in Castlevania.

I'm Captain rank, how close am I?

And lol, found the Tribute Gun. I have a new favorite weapon now.

This runs well for me; no crashes and no problems (unless you coun't those awful loading times). Went in with Metal Slug expectations and was taken aback a bit at first as nothing was what I thought it would be, but after the first mission it started clicking for me and holy shit this game is so much fun now. I love that the layout with different missions, I totally get why they're are timed, and the customization/gathering stuff is light enough to work for me (usually not a huge fan of that). I'm hooked and honestly have nothing major to complain about. Very pleasantly surprised after I got over my initial impression. PS+ keeps delivering for me (with dead nation being the one exception so far).

edit:

Ok, the above impressions might change later - castlevania medusa heads is one of the worst things in video games.

AHA-Lambda

Hi guys, I'm getting a weird error on my ps4 copy of mercenary kings, when I select it it gives me an error saying I don't have permission to access the title, but I do I downloaded it from ps+ and am still a valid member. Help!

Betty

Banned
Hi guys, I'm getting a weird error on my ps4 copy of mercenary kings, when I select it it gives me an error saying I don't have permission to access the title, but I do I downloaded it from ps+ and am still a valid member. Help!

I had this issue once too. Go to settings > PSN > restore licences and it should work then.

ReaperXL7

I'm Captain rank, how close am I?

And lol, found the Tribute Gun. I have a new favorite weapon now.

They are in the major rank so your next set of missions (also a completely new set of levels) you might not pick up on how much of a pain in the ass they are until you have to do the platform segments.

Also my new favorite melee weapon

Bkjle_4IUAAtmGJ.jpg

Holy shit the boss level from that GB quick look. Who thought that was a good idea? And this game was in early access? Wow.

I feel like that was either some bad luck or just Brad being brad at video games. Even when I didn't know what I was doing I never managed to have a boss run away from me that many times. it's still a dumb "mechanic."

They are in the major rank so your next set of missions (also a completely new set of levels) you might not pick up on how much of a pain in the ass they are until you have to do the platform segments.

were those the temple levels? because holy crap that wasn't very fun.

ReaperXL7

I feel like that was either some bad luck or just Brad being brad at video games. Even when I didn't know what I was doing I never managed to have a boss run away from me that many times. it's still a dumb "mechanic."

were those the temple levels? because holy crap that wasn't very fun.

Yeah, kind of frustrating at points but I have not found anything yet that's unbeatable. I thought the end boss was pretty fool, though some of their attacks are tricky to avoid.

Yeah I managed to suck it up too. Although I resorted to watching youtube to figure out how to deal with some of those whole screen attacks they were throwing out.

Naite

I'm 1 or 2 ranks away from the end of the game and ran into all sorts of crashes at random points, frame drops, and annoying camera management, but the thing that has to bug me the most is the small backpack size. There's some neat items you can use (I love riot shield for learning new bosses patterns), but I always have to throw them away because I need to carry C4 or shock grenades, or both. The levels where you have to backtrack across the level multiple times to pickup C4 are the worst. That could be alleviated if I played multiplayer, but most of the people I run into online are recruits who don't want to carry C4 and get destroyed by the difficulty scaling.

I'm 1 or 2 ranks away from the end of the game and ran into all sorts of crashes at random points, frame drops, and annoying camera management, but the thing that has to bug me the most is the small backpack size. There's some neat items you can use (I love riot shield for learning new bosses patterns), but I always have to throw them away because I need to carry C4 or shock grenades, or both. The levels where you have to backtrack across the level multiple times to pickup C4 are the worst. That could be alleviated if I played multiplayer, but most of the people I run into online are recruits who don't want to carry C4 and get destroyed by the difficulty scaling.

Yeah this really really annoys me too.

VariantX

Never really thought about it but why doesthis game even have load times? Shouldn't the whole game fit into memory? It was only like a 300 something MB download after all.

Alpha_eX

Heard the jumping in this is in a fixed arc, pressure sensitive... sounds like it could be awful and a game breaker for me. How is it?

Naite

Ok I think I'm done with this game until it gets patched. Had the game crash 6 times within the past hour. One of them was when I was about to beat the boss of the Colonel missions, 2 of them happened as soon as I joined an online game, and another happened as soon as I launched the game.

Kyou

ugh the temple is kicking my ass

also I am very annoyed to find out that you can just unlock the kickstarter backer achievement in the game even if you didn't back it. That's kind of shitty

Paertan

Starting to like the game. But after a few crashes I am gonna wait until I play again.
They jumping delay doesn´t bother me as much anymore at least. Still would like an instant jump.

Portugeezer

so there are some small gaps with animals inside however i cant fit through the gap to pick up the loot, what is the deal with those?

I like the game. It has its flaws, and maybe wasn't quite ready for prime time. But it's fun, varied, and very playable. I haven't had a single crash. That's not to say that the performance has been perfect, however. I experience a momentary visual stutter every 10 minutes or so and the sound cuts out occasionally. I'm also confused why load times are so significant for a pixel art game that is installed to my hard drive.

The thing that really confuses me are the significant number of complaints about the game's difficulty. Is it really that hard? I'm doing the Sergeant missions and have hardly come upon a mission I had to play more than twice. The platforming isn't that difficult, you have a map of the level layout, and the enemies are pretty formulaic and predictable.

skybald

Never really thought about it but why doesthis game even have load times? Shouldn't the whole game fit into memory? It was only like a 300 something MB download after all.

Yes, the download of the data can fit in memory. But that isn't how a running game works. There are AI routines, loot drop algorithms, uncompressed textures, uncompressed sound, network features, and other things that need to be put into and then taken out of memory while the game is running

derwalde

where the hell is the 8th prisoner on mission 2?

on another note: they HAVE to patch the framedrops, audio-stutter, loading-times, crashes etc. this is such a fun game but come on, this is unbearable.

Naite

The thing that really confuses me are the significant number of complaints about the game's difficulty. Is it really that hard? I'm doing the Sergeant missions and have hardly come upon a mission I had to play more than twice. The platforming isn't that difficult, you have a map of the level layout, and the enemies are pretty formulaic and predictable.

I think it has to do with people not using healing items or infirmaries, then dying and respawning far away, and then accumulating damage just to get killed off again when they catchup. But then again most of the people I play with besides a few people on my friends list are recruits just learning the game.

LakeEarth

The other day I teleported from one side of the screen to the other. I should've shared it. I was climbing up a ladder in the middle of the screen, and then I was suddenly on the left side of the screen falling. What the hell?

Still having fun though. I have a gun combo right now where reloading is so fast, I barely even notice when I can't shoot. It's a little weak though.

after playing several hours with my wife, my updated issues list is as follows:

-lots and LOTS of crashing + losing progress

-still getting audio stuttering and popping during the initial startup/logo screens as well as during the loading screen where you're dangling on the chopper

-slowdown during boss encounters that seems to be a 50/50 chance of crashing the game

-the sensitivity for the left stick needs to be tweaked: often i push RIGHT on the stick only to see my character go back into the medical hut, or my character will move left or right instead of laying down prone. it just gives the game a hugely unnecessary 'old school' feel that i think it could still achieve without making the controls a pain to use.

-whatever the saving scheme is... it sucks. i can't figure out how to manually initiate a save. sometimes it saves when i get back to the base camp, sometimes it doesn't. i test this out by completing a mission, making some changes to my loadout etc. and then quitting. when i relaunch the game it's as if i never changed my loadout OR WORSE, it thinks i didn't complete the mission i had previously finished before quitting. super frustrating, especially when me and my wife spend countless times trying to kill a boss between dying and crashing.

all things considered though, we are having a good time. if she hears the base camp music coming from the living room she rushes in to see if i started playing without her lol. i just tell her im replaying old missions to test out my weapon setups.

What's up with the split screen multiplayer being split into essentially 4 squares? Underneath me and player 2's screen is a map/stats, which I appreciate, but it makes the characters and action really small, and it's pretty annoying. Is there any way to change this? I couldn't find it in the settings.

Finally finished it last night, gonna go back to get more guns later.

When you want to save, I suggest you press options and quit the game from there to take you to the title screen. The save icon will pop up then.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Anyone know vaguely what weapon loadout they were using in that GB quicklook? My setups are kinda crap and that one looks nicely satisfying.

Also, not being able to shoot upwards on ladders is just... wtf.

ArjanN

Was this posted yet?

Developer teasing their new game:

BkoXDL4CIAEbZL4.jpg

I'm guessing Ghost 'n Goblins/Ghouls 'n Ghosts inspired.

ReaperXL7

Was this posted yet?

Developer teasing their new game:

BkoXDL4CIAEbZL4.jpg

I'm guessing Ghost 'n Goblins/Ghouls 'n Ghosts inspired.

Awesome, can't wait to see what's next. I just hope they can iron out the bugs in Merc Kings so that people don't overlook their next game.

Top Bottom