• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mergers and Acquisitions |OT| Thread Merged

Acquisitions and mergers official topic

• Is this thread organic enough?

• The thread merging will lead to the collapse of the forums industry

• Anti-trust laws should prevent people from creating threads

• This gaming forum has not been bought out

• The monopolization of OTs is bad for gaming discussion

• Your post is in talks to be acquired by another forum

Results are only viewable after voting.

odhiex

Personally, I never take any info from these "insiders" so seriously.

I mean they may not lie about what they have heard from their inside connections. But mostly, the information aren't true nor complete. So, it's good to fuel some speculation but never bet any money on their info.

Anyway, we already knew that the acquisition stories will continue, because Jimbo and Philly have already said they're not done yet lol.

Last edited:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/26/sony-strategic-investments-gaming-entertainment-subscriptions.html
Thats Sony Group investment budget over 3 years (and thats not just PlayStation thats Sony as a whole). 18 billion to 2024, stop posting rubbish for crying out loud.

I thought i told you to sit your ranky ass down? You haven't got a clue how this works to stop posting

$18 billion is purely their own cash, and isn't the only way to make an acquisition, nor is 18$ billion set in stone.

Last edited:

Cyborg

They have a gap in big (J)RPG for the Asian market (so does Xbox) so I fully expect both of them to target Square, Konami, Capcom, From, and Sega. Also I hope to see a merge between EA/Ubisoft

What shit? They made an average of $8 billion in free cash flow in the last 5 years. It's a fact that they can afford to pay for Capcom or Square in a year or so

It's okay to admit you're an idiot
So you ignore the announcement Sony made to investors in the article I posted of 18billion over 3 years? And I'm the idiot?

They needed to respond to the MS Activision acquisition, so as to reassure their investors and the market. Their hand was kind of forced in this case

Lanrutcon

I feel like Sony had to do something. Can't just let MS dominate the news with such a huge move.

But Bungie? I dunno, man. Maybe they were aiming for Capcom and misclicked.

boomcrab

I think for Deviation its going to be a wait and see kind of thing for that collaborative project. I'm hoping for Capcom but that's selfishly for megaman. Square Enix would be nice but idk. I want more Japanese commitment from Sony

BlackM1st

Banned
Most i can see is an act of pettiness, honestly.

It also makes alot of sense for them, sure.. but i mean, they literally bought Xbox's mom.

And makers of Phil's favorite game.. pretty hard to not see.
What the fuck ahahah

You're really not grasping this are you? This is about what Sony can afford to do. The board approving $18 billion of their cash for strategic investments is not all Sony can afford to do. Get it yet?
No it isn't, you may have decided this in your little world but this is a thread about who Sony will acquire next. Coming up with they can afford a 50 billion acquisition is nonsense. Try to read the thread before posting next time 🙄

No it isn't, you may have decided this in your little world but this is a thread about who Sony will acquire next. Coming up with they can afford a 50 billion acquisition is nonsense. Try to read the thread before posting next time 🙄

Why don't you follow my comment chain so you don't look like a complete idiot next time?

I was responding to the person who said Sony can't afford to buy the likes of Capcom or Sqaure. Which they very obviously can

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Its will ultimately benifit customers.

There will be a gamepass/xbox app and a playstation app, to play games nativly will require a min spec PC, or linux based sytem maybe (who knows).

Sonu + Microsoft may still make hardware but they wont be closed boxes.

It will basically be like the PC, movie streaming, android businesses.

Customers will be able to subscribe to gamepass or a playstation equivalent or buy content to own via there respective apps.

The great thing about this is people only need to buy 1 piece of hardware, 1 type of controller etc
I would've agreed if we were talking about series or movies.But here we are talking about games that varies greatly from one platform to another and in that all aquisition war fine tuning games or exploiting the hardware to the max will be lost.And honestly there's no good there because in a content war you will be more inclined to create something that sells instead of something unique or bold.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I can see Microsoft will stop when they reach about 45-50 teams, because thats what it will take to have a game every month for gamepass.

I wonder if sony has the same goal?
Jimbo has said a couple of times that its all about the games, so I don't think they will want to be the number 2 when it comes to games and thus will need a similar nimber of teams.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes it does. $25 billion of that 44$ billion were marketable securities under their financial sector. Under IFRS those are no longer classified as Marketable Securities.
It doesn't. Not all the cash are invested in short - term liquid securities...and if it is an acquisition that has already been taken into account at 100%, they will not be invested in anything else.

bender

What time is it?
Still, if you look at Insomniac’s games library they had started spreading out but completely stopped after 2019, same year Sony bought them. Housemarque hasn’t once mentioned PC releases either to my knowledge. If they’re doing PC releases it’ll happen after the PS releases just like I said. And Nixxes were one of the best console to PC port houses, and nothing after the Sony acquisition. I doubt it would be any different with Capcom, Square Enix, Bamco, Konami, FROM, Ubi or whatever they could acquire. They’ve been very clear about Playstation having a higher priority ever since they started doing PC releases.

Insomniac floundered with Fuse, the Gamestop underwater Metroidvania and Sunset Overdrive. Acquiring a developer is different from acquiring a publisher. You are likely to get day and date Playstation exclusives on PC, but they do appear to be coming sometime after. That's why Nixxies was purchased and that's improvement on the PC side. Acquired publishers are a different story until Sony does otherwise and nothing we've heard about the Bungie acquisition points to anything different.

DrJamesOxford

Neo Member
I don't think adding one of the best fps studios to your portfolio is ever a bad move + the market is ripe for buy-outs at the moment.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sony: "More acquisitions are on the way"
Microsoft: "More acquisitions are on the way"
Faux-insider: "You won't believe what acquisition is on the horizon. Can't tell you though, but trust me on this bro"

Like clockwork.

Vick

Gold Member
What the fuck ahahah
Sorry, it's just what i see. Sony is a very proud company, no one familiar with them could deny this.

It's possible to rationalize this purchase, and i surely don't think that's the only reason they bought the developer of course.

But on the other hand.. it's Bungie.

It doesn't. Not all the cash are invested in short - term liquid securities...and if it is an acquisition that has already been taken into account at 100%, they will not be invested in anything else.

Good lord. Here

This is when they were using GAAP

TTIBBr0.png

This is under IFRS

00F9C6L.png

The 2,902,438 million yen, which amounted to $25 billion that were under Marketable Securities, are gone

Last edited:

FingerBang

Most i can see is an act of pettiness, honestly.

It also makes alot of sense for them, sure.. but i mean, they literally bought Xbox's mom.

And makers of Phil's favorite game.. pretty hard to not see.
Yes, this company throws away $3.6B because Phil Spencer likes the game they make. Corporations are, after all, people with feelings and morals.

Sony felt like COD cheated on them with MS so they went directly to their ex-boyfriend and decided to get together. Imagine the angry sex they have.

BlackM1st

Banned
It provides expertise within areas that Playstation are lacking
MAG, Killzone and Socom were great. Hell, I really enjoyed Unit 13 too. Playing it in coop on Vita was Hella fun.

Sony has the expertise , they just can't get their FPS/TPS games connect with a wider audience for some reason.

I don't know why tho, personally I always enjoyed their offerings.

I think PS4 Killzone was the biggest disappointment for me, I just didn't felt anything about it...

I wanted D1 to succeed, bought it Day. But now I have 0 interest in D. D2 now is not what was promised to us during PS4 launch .

Three

We are moving to services slowly. CoD on playstation and Destiny on xbox. They will be fighting for subscriptions in the future. Console hardware selling at a big loss will no longer happen. It would be like buying an amazon fire stick and watching Netflix on it instead of Amazon Prime Movies. Perfectly doable.

MonarchJT

Banned
Good lord. Here

This is when they were using GAAP

TTIBBr0.png

This is under IFRS

00F9C6L.png

The 2,902,438 million yen, which amounted to $25 billion that were under Marketable Securities, are gone
and ????? i marketable securities are not what you thinthose are . read it . I'll not longer continue this Convo with you is impossible.
Sony cannot invest 60 or 70b for their gaming division faster you accept it faster you will feel better. For this reason they spent 3.6 and not 50

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Playstation's best reaction is releasing Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok this year.

This Bungie deal imo is purely a talent acquisition.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I would've agreed if we were talking about series or movies.But here we are talking about games that varies greatly from one platform to another and in that all aquisition war fine tuning games or exploiting the hardware to the max will be lost.And honestly there's no good there because in a content war you will be more inclined to create something that sells instead of something unique or bold.

I think it will inevitably happen because theres more money having an app on a billion devices then have a closed garden with an installbase of 100million
People are going to buy uncharted or Spiderman regardless if its on a playstation or steambox like device.

Also im not sure what u mean by the games varrying from one platform to another?
I mean yes theres no gow of TLOU2 equivalent on xbox, but now there portfolios are very similar. Its just a matter of where the devs are, sunset overdrive is an xbox exclusive, it does have some similarities to Spiderman, indiana jones will be like an uncharted, forza is like GT, fable is a similer to GOW.

Yes these games are different but overall the portfolios are getting more similar.
But im confused even if the games were vastly different why would it prevent a one box to rule them all future.

Vick

Gold Member
Yes, this company throws away $3.6B because Phil Spencer likes the game they make. Corporations are, after all, people with feelings and morals.
No, they've spent all those money to get something they were lacking, and ensuring a future on a ground they're not familiar with.

But i also see a message sent.. i'm probably crazy, but just look at what's going on on Twitter and how many jokes are being made. We can pretend these things means nothing.. but they do.

Sony felt like COD cheated on them with MS so they went directly to their ex-boyfriend and decided to get together. Imagine the angry sex they have.
giphy.gif

klosos

It's not defensive and not reactionary.
These deals take YEARS. YOu dont go "oh no cod, I must get bungie, done"
Yep , i was going to say the same thing, this would of been in the making for sometime , just Like Microsofts dealings. I mean you don't spend 3 Billion on acquiring a studio without long term planning.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yep , i was going to say the same thing, this would of been in the making for sometime , just Like Microsofts dealings. I mean you don't spend 3 Billion on acquiring a studio without long term planning.
The company I work for was sold for 4bil... and it took two years.
Of course you have to think that Sony knew years ago also that microsoft is trying to get activision... so probably they could plan the "reaction" back then

ZywyPL

Banned
IF they really want Bungie to continue being multiplatform I can't see any other than financial interest.

Actually it's so weird Bungie being acquired by another company, because they claimed so many time they want to be independent, while they have been already under the same roof of Microsoft and Activision, and now under Sony's.

Weird acquisition imo.

Bungie seems to always need a big publisher's money whenever they start a new IP - Halo=MS, Destiny=Acti, upcoming new IP=Sony, and once the franchise succeeds and brings a lot of profit they start talking about independence once again.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think it will inevitably happen because theres more money having an app on a billion devices then have a closed garden with an installbase of 100million
People are going to buy uncharted or Spiderman regardless if its on a playstation or steambox like device.

Also im not sure what u mean by the games varrying from one platform to another?
I mean yes theres no gow of TLOU2 equivalent on xbox, but now there portfolios are very similar. Its just a matter of where the devs are, sunset overdrive is an xbox exclusive, it does have some similarities to Spiderman, indiana jones will be like an uncharted, forza is like GT, fable is a similer to GOW.

Yes these games are different but overall the portfolios are getting more similar.
But im confused even if the games were vastly different why would it prevent a one box to rule them all future.
This all feel like a move toward games as a service to recoup costs and honestly I'm not a fan of those or games filled with microtransactions.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Remember the guy who got spooked in True Lies and pisses his pants while being held over a ledge?

Sony's got a little sick, it's pathetic.

Mozza

I still chuckle at posts like this.

It's like these companies sit in front of a TV channel or gaming forum waiting for something to happen then open their wallets and go developer shopping.

These deals or acquisitions are months if years in the making.

Rare to come across a bit logic in these types of threads.

Can add in these deals don't happen over night as well.
Amazing coincidence in it's timing though. ;)

Inviusx

I'm still scratching my head over why they decided to buy Bungie and spend almost 4 billion dollars doing so. Can someone explain their master plan here?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If Sony bought Bungie at their peak you could say a show of power. Destiny is nothing compared to Halo even if it is successful. It isn't even the same company.

In terms of what?

Destiny 2 is on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox.

Halo Infinite is currently sitting at #5 on the most played Xbox games list while Destiny 2 is #10
Halo is not on PlayStation, but Destiny 2 is.

Destiny 2 averaged around 53k players on Steam within the past 30 days while Halo Infinite only averaged 23k

At this point, Destiny 2 is currently the biggest shooter between the two.

Top Bottom