• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Nightwing

Banned
leDxP6Y.jpg

Thaedolus

Today is day 3 of 4- where 1, 2, and 4 the wife is working and I’ve got the children to myself, but on this, the 3rd day…I’m gonna sit my ass downstairs and play some games and watch my sad football team probably lose to the Chargers.

I’ll probably get asked to go on a fuckin walk and I’ll probably do that shit too

Thaedolus

We've got 1/3 of the greenhouse up thanks to help from our friends yesterday. We're going to attempt to get the next section up ourselves today. We are so close to being done, which is good because it's starting to get cold.
It makes me so happy to walk outside and not immediately feel like sweating. I’m starting to look at properties in Montana, might need greenhouse advice in the future

nush

I've got tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday off. I plan to finally redecorate the house, and make it my own. I figured I've lived here long enough now to put my mark on it.

You did this the last time and got kicked out, don't decorate with anything you can't take with you or didn't cost you any real money.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It makes me so happy to walk outside and not immediately feel like sweating. I’m starting to look at properties in Montana, might need greenhouse advice in the future
I love Montana. I almost talked the Mrs into moving to the Bozeman area.

The wife bought a greenhouse kit from ClimaPod. It's a bitch to install. I would probably hire someone to do it next time, but if you like erector sets, it should be fine. You will need more than 2 people for portions of it. So bribe some friends with beer.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well fuck me. We realized that the base & anchors on 3 sections are incorrect. So now we are chiseling them out and will need to reposition them & pour concrete to re-anchor them in the correct spot.

e: of course none of the batteries for the impact drill are charged... Oh well, we need to run to the home improvement store anyway to get a better chisel bit for it.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thaedolus Thaedolus we need a Married Gaf community thread where we can just bs about our spouses and marriages :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme I bought synthetic urine and compress underwear in case I need to do a pre-employment drug screening. I've already abstained and plan to stay that way until I can secure a job. I suspect the the will be in my system for a month. That was a pretty dumb purchase but it may pay off if I find something quickly.

Thaedolus

I don’t know if I’d call it drama since she thinks I’m pretty funny…still sleeping next to me without a shirt on so I must be doing something right.

Fuck that candle tho I can still smell it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My boss is fucking pissed off about this HR complaint. He's like, "I know you. I know you are not going to be a piece of shit to these people. If x, y, or z came to complain I would listen. But this person? No. They have their own issues they need to resolve without taking it out on you." I told him, to me, this is just retaliation & intimidation because I won't break company policies so they can have their way. He's going to fight this thing tooth and nail. I have to wait a few days to find out how the conversation goes with HR and what the next steps look like.

I'm amped up right now.
Eliminate Whos The Boss GIF

Last edited:

nush

It's nice when you have a boss who'll stand by you. I had a department manager that liked to single someone out in the department and victimize them, I thought it was just me but I found out from the company director that he'd previously done that to other staff. It didn't work out well for him, he got sidelined to obscurity, left behind when the former director headhunted the best staff to work on a very high profile product, the former company was sold to a competitor who then went bankrupt and he was out of a job.

Through the grapevine I'd heard that the director at the company that had inherited him took a dislike "If he knows so much about everything why doesnt he fuck off and start his own company?".

Thaedolus

Kiddo: what’s a rhyme?
Me: it’s when a word sounds like another word like chair and hair
Wife: maybe we should play a rhyming game, what’s something in the kitchen we should rhyme with?
Kiddo: tomato!
Wife: uhhhh…
Me: fellat-
Wife: how about sink???

Thaedolus

My buddy and I got high as kites to rewatch LotR last fall and I gotta say…kinda cheesy as hell. Like I watched it basically annually for several years and had it on this pedestal, then went about ten years without going back to it and now…?

Eh, it’s a classic, but certainly dated. It’s made me not jump into this new show immediately because there’s enough other media out there to keep me occupied. Mainly House of the Dragon

Lady Jane

Banned
I don't get the appeal of LotR. I also don't often read fiction so that's on me.

They are well crafted books about friendship. You can tell that it was written by someone fresh off WW1. It has a sense of experience and enlightenment on every page. It's easy to see why it's arguably the most celebrated work of fiction.

As for the movies, Christopher Tolkien said it best “They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25”. Jackson did a stellar job in capturing the characters and respecting Tolkien's Middle-Earth vision but he also had to make money with the movies so I understand why Jackson made an action-y spin with LotR. Regardless, the movies were well done though the books are something special.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I still feel like the movies are about friendship. Gimli and Legolas putting aside their initial animosity and becoming best buds by the end is something I’ve related to and have learned to do in my life too. You don’t get to choose roommates in college, you don’t get to choose your coworkers, and even family can be goddamn annoying. But you learn to see things from their point of view and adapt. It’s a good lesson I think still comes through in the movies, and dammit if Sam carrying Frodo up at the end isn’t still inspiring as hell.

But Jesus there’s still more cheese than even my fat ass would put on a pizza. New Zealand is gorgeous tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom