• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are really quick to talk shit about the MGS story whenever story-related threads pop up.

Some mighty fine hyperbole on this forum. I understand not everyone likes the story (it's a bit ridiculous at times), but saying it's straight-up shit? What the hell, man. What kind of games have you been playing? To me, Metal Gear Solid features one of the best stories in the gaming industry. I'm serious.

Yeah. I tend to laugh it off. Opinions and all, but such well-renowned games being written off as "shit" in the story department (universally considered one of the series' greatest strengths) just doesn't cut it. Those threads generally lead to me holding down the Power button for a few seconds. I think Hideo has always gotten the most out of each individual game that he can. Whether he changes details along the way simply doesn't bother me because I feel he does it in a way that keeps each new entry fresh and intriguing.

Mexen

Yeah. I tend to laugh it off. Opinions and all, but such well-renowned games being written off as "shit" in the story department (universally considered one of the series' greatest strengths) just doesn't cut it. Those threads generally lead to me holding down the Power button for a few seconds. I think Hideo has always gotten the most out of each individual game that he can. Whether he changes details along the way simply doesn't bother me because I feel he does it in a way that keeps each new entry fresh and intriguing.

Yup.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think the main thing with the Metal Gear Solid story is that is had built a reputation for being extremely complicated and insane, a myth that originated with the MGS2 ending and that has been propagated by the gaming media, so people that have never played the games come into those threads and say Metal Gear because they've only HEARD about the vampires, nanomachines, and memes without actually knowing how they're executed.

Nvzman

I think the main thing with the Metal Gear Solid story is that is had built a reputation for being extremely complicated and insane, a myth that originated with the MGS2 ending and that has been propagated by the gaming media, so people that have never played the games come into those threads and say Metal Gear because they've only HEARD about the vampires, nanomachines, and memes without actually knowing how they're executed.
Pretty much.

JayEH

It also has this stigma associated with it that nobody plays the MGS games for theie gameplay/the gameplay sucks. If the gameplay wasn't as good as it is many people wouldn't put up with the it even with it's good story and characters. I love playing VR missions in MGS2 and consistently go back to 2 and 3, skip all the cutscenes and (attempt to) go for higher ranks, mess with the AI, impose challenges on myself, etc.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
from Yong's newest video :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYxS3YBEIk&list=UUT6iAerLNE-0J1S_E97UAuQ

2014-11-2418_10_36-mebou1q.png

2014-11-2418_10_42-me3vufz.png

2014-11-2418_10_50-mevdu6m.png

Sn4ke_911

I want the game now! I'm sick of waiting for it.

Tell me about it bro, the wait is fucking killing me. Thankfully we can expect brand new news next week at The Game Awards. Probably a new story trailer or maybe MGO reveal?

HYPUUU!

Chinner

Banned
I can handle the wait, it's just the lack of news that's boring me. It wouldn't even be so bad if I hadn't lost my MGS HD collection disc.

Palpable

looool I actually completely forgot about it this time.

I forgot about that mosaic too. Kinda of a bummer after you went to the trouble of sending it out.

I forget for several weeks and then remember and get irritated. It was pretty cool how everyone came together to get it done (thanks immortal-joe <3) and after sending it out I had hoped Kojima would see it. We have no idea if he got it or not. If I knew he'd be at the Game Awards back then, which I'm going to, I'd have handed it to him personally.

JayEH

For some reason, the fact we're getting a MGO trailer at the Game Awards makes me think there won't be a release date. But...
tumblr_m6yooky8JB1rxpwjno1_250.gif

Vally

For some reason, the fact we're getting a MGO trailer at the Game Awards makes me think there won't be a release date. But...
tumblr_m6yooky8JB1rxpwjno1_250.gif

There's still the Playstation Experience event, I think that's where we'll get a story trailer with the release date

Akiller

I forget for several weeks and then remember and get irritated. It was pretty cool how everyone came together to get it done (thanks immortal-joe <3) and after sending it out I had hoped Kojima would see it. We have no idea if he got it or not. If I knew he'd be at the Game Awards back then, which I'm going to, I'd have handed it to him personally.

You're our only hope Infinity, it would be a shame after all the work MGSGaf put on the mosaic :(

Commencing Operation "Sons of Mosaic".

Batzi

Banned
The guy didn't even mention it once on his Twitter. Like nothing was going on. Kojima you sneaky bastard! What are you still hiding????

Sn4ke_911

The guy didn't even mention it once on his Twitter. Like nothing was going on. Kojima you sneaky bastard! What are you still hiding????

KOJIMAAAAAA

Man, i can't freaking wait. Next week will be a looooooooong week.

wilsonda

For Thanksgiving... I am thankful for a MGO premiere at the Video Game Awards show :)

Maybe we can get the release date at the very end of the reveal **Keeps fingers crossed**

Batzi

Banned
For Thanksgiving... I am thankful for a MGO premiere at the Video Game Awards show :)

Maybe we can get the release date at the very end of the reveal **Keeps fingers crossed**
December is their last chance to announce a release date. Announcing it in 2015 won't be as interesting.

December is their last chance to announce a release date. Announcing it in 2015 won't be as interesting.

i'm expecting an annoucement as well..but my prediction is that TPP will release in Sept and a lot people will be semi-disappointed. I wish it was otherwise but that's what i think so far.

Batzi

Banned
i'm expecting an annoucement as well..but my prediction is that TPP will release in Sept and a lot people will be semi-disappointed. I wish it was otherwise but that's what i think so far.
I wouldn't mind Sept if it was a current gen only but releasing a big game like V developed on cross-gen platforms in late Q3 2015 is pretty risky.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Perhaps this highlights how little I've played MGS3.....or that I haven't played it in HD... but never realised that Big Boss sheds a tear for the Boss at the end.

Thats like..,one of the hallmark trademarks for that scene lol

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps this highlights how little I've played MGS3.....or that I haven't played it in HD... but never realised that Big Boss sheds a tear for the Boss at the end.

If you press R1 to go into First Person View, the screen is all water-y because of the tears.

Chinner

Banned
Thats like..,one of the hallmark trademarks for that scene lol

You got me. I've hardly played MGS3 much compared to MGS1 or 2, which I've probably completed 20 times each. I used to be kinda 'against' it? I've lightened up since then, with reflection and MGS4 realising it's a pretty good game.

I thought the salute was the trademark of the scene, like his respect.

JayEH

I wouldn't mind Sept if it was a current gen only but releasing a big game like V developed on cross-gen platforms in late Q3 2015 is pretty risky.

It isn't risky for Japan though. The PS3 version will most likely outsell the PS4 version there. The last gen versions here (and the rest of the world) will be almost irrelevant. I'm interested in seeing how those hold up...the 360 version of GZ wasn't horrible from what I played.

Vally

I'm also interested in seeing how TPP performs on last gen since I'm getting it for PS3... the PS3 version of Ground Zeroes looks pretty good considering the hardware, if The Phantom Pain is anything like that I'll be content

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You got me. I've hardly played MGS3 much compared to MGS1 or 2, which I've probably completed 20 times each. I used to be kinda 'against' it? I've lightened up since then, with reflection and MGS4 realising it's a pretty good game.

I thought the salute was the trademark of the scene, like his respect.

MGS3 is my favourite in terms of gameplay.

Chinner

Banned
VO is still on going.... Does anyone know if they record the English/Japanese VO at different times? I fear that we may be some time of MGSV :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom