• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiller

"We is Diamond Dogs"
"It's are Boss,not is"

10710624_734451563314566_4567984276810784902_n.jpg

http://www.seehang.tumblr.com/

Kojima sacrificed some throwaway aspect of Big Boss' character that he'll probably get back anyway for the sake of a really cool sounding feature? waaa kojima is a hack, metal gear story succkss

exactly. i love how other game series are allowed to be gamey for the sake of being gamey, but with metal gear everything revolves around the story. the story is going to be bat-shit insane, who cares? 100% of my attention when hearing about that concept is how cool of a gameplay feature it is.

Kojima sacrificed some throwaway aspect of Big Boss' character that he'll probably get back anyway for the sake of a really cool sounding feature? waaa kojima is a hack, metal gear story succkss

Right. I'm pretty sure there was never a plot point that solidified that Big Boss didn't lose any of his memories during the eighties, yet the term "retcon" is being spread like a wildfire. People, for whatever reason, just love giving this series shit for any reason imaginable - going to great lengths to look for a way to make their argument true. Like, who cares?

I don't even know why I bother reading them. I can't seem to stay away.

Morbid curiosity?

XD I know that feel!

Jesus, you guys weren't lying about that thread. I'll always put gameplay mechanics over story so I don't really care but being bothered by an accident affecting the language centre of Big Boss' brain seems like a pretty weird thing to get hung up on.

Right. I'm pretty sure there was never a plot point that solidified that Big Boss didn't lose any of his memories during the eighties, yet the term "retcon" is being spread like a wildfire. People, for whatever reason, just love giving this series shit for any reason imaginable - going to great lengths to look for a way to make their argument true. Like, who cares?

XD I know that feel!

i don't care if kojima retcons everything and treats this game as a full-on reboot. if the story is fun and interesting, the characters are compelling, and the gameplay is as awesome as it looks (and ground zeroes was), like you said, who cares?

Jesus, you guys weren't lying about that thread. I'll always put gameplay mechanics over story so I don't really care but being bothered by an accident affecting the language centre of Big Boss' brain seems like a pretty weird thing to get hung up on.

Right, because it's a video game. That's what people who actually play video games do, as opposed to those who sit around crying about them on the Internet.

i don't care if kojima retcons everything and treats this game as a full-on reboot. if the story is fun and interesting, the characters are compelling, and the gameplay is as awesome as it looks (and ground zeroes was), like you said, who cares?

Yup. Totally! When I play a Metal Gear game, I go in for the best story I can possibly get, and I always feel that it delivers just that. I'm not worried about any retcons, or anything like that, because Hideo actually takes chances with his stories rather than them being on-rails at all times. Who would want that? I don't get why people want something they could write their damn selves.

JayEH

The version of Snake that was in Smash Brawl was The Twin Snakes version right? I just noticed that there's a FOX logo next to his percentage meter in the game. Weird.

Shun

After The Phantom Pain, Kojima should go back to being a producer and give us a Zone of the Enders follow up as well as new IPs. Work with and teach upstarts.

Train and nourish whatever scarce talent left at Konami, please.

After The Phantom Pain, Kojima should go back to being a producer and give us a Zone of the Enders follow up as well as new IPs. Work with and teach upstarts.

Train and nourish whatever scarce talent left at Konami, please.

he's already doing silent hills

Chinner

Banned
sorry bro, i'm getting old and memory fails me. pity me.

Still, it raises an interesting idea. isn't Konami pushing a ridiculous amount of merchandise with the release of MGS5? I guess they high expectations that -true- MGS fans will buy this stuff.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
sorry bro, i'm getting old and memory fails me. pity me.

Still, it raises an interesting idea. isn't Konami pushing a ridiculous amount of merchandise with the release of MGS5? I guess they high expectations that -true- MGS fans will buy this stuff.

lol no problem man ;)

Yeah i think so too, looks like those figures sell pretty well otherwise they wouldn't create that many. Still surprised we haven't seen a Ocelot or Kaz figure yet.

Palpable

lol no problem man ;)

Yeah i think so too, looks like those figures sell pretty well otherwise they wouldn't create that many. Still surprised we haven't seen a Ocelot or Kaz figure yet.

Well we got a PW Kaz, but no TPP Kaz just yet. I'm also surprised we haven't gotten an Ocelot figure from PlayArts. He's a main character of the series!

Shun

he's already doing silent hills

But he's still co-directing with Del Toro which will take a ton of time.

I mean going full on producer for a couple years since as a producer, he can focus and produce more games as well as train more talent than if he were to direct.

JayEH

But he's still co-directing with Del Toro which will take a ton of time.

I mean going full on producer for a couple years since as a producer, he can focus and produce more games as well as train more talent than if he were to direct.

Lol Del Toro isn't going to be directing this game. He's got better things to do with his time. He's probably just an executive producer that just sends some ideas to Kojima time to time.

Kojima also hasn't come and said explicitly he's directing right? He could be producing for all we know. I do agree that he needs to nurture young directors at Konami. Somebody is going to need to take his place eventually...

i would imagine whomever it was that took the reigns for MGS:R was supposed to be just that guy, but obviously they failed. i also recall MGS4 originally being kojima produced and not directed or at least co-directed right? that initial trailer using MGS3 character models

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Kojima's been trying to ditch MGS since MGS2, it's just that his team is really incompetent and can't do anything without him.

JayEH

Kojima's career in a nutshell.

out.jpg

Fine, I'll take over. The things I do for you people.

Haha I just imagine him walking into the room to check on the Rising team, shakes his head, leaves, then drives to Osaka to meet with Platinum.

i would imagine whomever it was that took the reigns for MGS:R was supposed to be just that guy, but obviously they failed. i also recall MGS4 originally being kojima produced and not directed or at least co-directed right? that initial trailer using MGS3 character models

He wasn't going to direct MGS4 but he got so many death threats he was pretty much forced to come back.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Haha I just imagine him walking into the room to check on the Rising team, shakes his head, leaves, then drives to Osaka to meet with Platinum.

I imagine the Rising development was troubled because once they decided to base the game around cutting everything, they realized a character that faces everyone head on is not suited to a Metal Gear game and they had no real experience making an action game, so they decided to search for Platinum since they fucked up.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think the whole Kojima debacle brings an interesting point: When he retires, Konami won't have another genius to take his place. I've heard Nintendo is trying to ammend this by having Miyamoto and Aonuma train personally their succesors, but Konami probably have pushed Kojima to the point where he has no time to.

JayEH

Yeah I've heard the same things about Nintendo. That's why you see Miyamoto and Aonuma just produce games now which is the point Shun was trying to make. I think an example of this is the Splatoon directors, they both look pretty young and are now making a new IP for Nintendo.

Dawg

People are really quick to talk shit about the MGS story whenever story-related threads pop up.

Some mighty fine hyperbole on this forum. I understand not everyone likes the story (it's a bit ridiculous at times), but saying it's straight-up shit? What the hell, man. What kind of games have you been playing? To me, Metal Gear Solid features one of the best stories in the gaming industry. I'm serious.

-Deimos

People are really quick to talk shit about the MGS story whenever story-related threads pop up.

Some mighty fine hyperbole on this forum. I understand not everyone likes the story (it's a bit ridiculous at times), but saying it's straight-up shit? What the hell, man. What kind of games have you been playing? To me, Metal Gear Solid features one of the best stories in the gaming industry. I'm serious.

Not enough dudebros and explosions for people. They're not ready for MGS yet.

JayEH

We've all agreed to not go in Metal Gear threads anymore.
We're still going to go.

That Rising documentary is hilarious. Kojima takes his disappointment out on his team by parading them out on camera to talk about how terrible they are, lol.

the vast majority of games have completely forgettable by-the-numbers stories. MGS has its faults, some more glaring than others, but it still has compelling stories and great, memorable characters. for some reason people act like story is all there is to MGS, when the fact of the matter is, all of the MGS games have had tremendously innovative gameplay. perhaps kojima's reliance on having such long, drawn-out cutscenes (which i will readily admit are way too long and frequent), had put him in the position where people seem to evaluate his games as if they are gameplay-less telltale-like story-driven games. that, as we all know, is complete nonsense, but that really seems to be the way a significant chunk of gamers who play MGS look at it. they really think the story is the end-all be-all and must be perfect or they don't like the game.

i tend to separate the two, and my favorite MGS games are the ones that nail both aspects (1 and 3 IMO). but either way, it's silly the way people write off MGS just because of some story elements when most games have terrible stories that aren't worth discussing, let along caring about.

Dawg

the vast majority of games have completely forgettable by-the-numbers stories. MGS has its faults, some more glaring than others, but it still has compelling stories and great, memorable characters. for some reason people act like story is all there is to MGS, when the fact of the matter is, all of the MGS games have had tremendously innovative gameplay. perhaps kojima's reliance on having such long, drawn-out cutscenes (which i will readily admit are way too long and frequent), had put him in the position where people seem to evaluate his games as if they are gameplay-less telltale-like story-driven games. that, as we all know, is complete nonsense, but that really seems to be the way a significant chunk of gamers who play MGS look at it. they really think the story is the end-all be-all and must be perfect or they don't like the game.

i tend to separate the two, and my favorite MGS games are the ones that nail both aspects (1 and 3 IMO). but either way, it's silly the way people write off MGS just because of some story elements when most games have terrible stories that aren't worth discussing, let along caring about.

I completely agree.

Every year, my top 10 list always features a majority of stuff with disappointing story material. It always happens, even the best games suffer from it. I don't really mind all that much, because not every game puts the focus on the story. That's okay.

Thing is, Metal Gear Solid is one of those rare exceptions where both the story and gameplay are almost equally interesting. That doesn't happen a lot. Metal Gear Solid would still be an impressive game if the story was disappointing, but it would be less iconic than it is now. Of that, I am sure.

I think it's the combination of the story and its character. Just look at Far Cry 3 or Far Cry 4, both games have unique villains, but they are underused as fuck. I feel like Kojima knows how to write interesting characters and how to actually use them in clever and interesting ways. The story isn't perfect, but it beats most of the game industry by a long shot.

Shun

Yeah I've heard the same things about Nintendo. That's why you see Miyamoto and Aonuma just produce games now which is the point Shun was trying to make. I think an example of this is the Splatoon directors, they both look pretty young and are now making a new IP for Nintendo.

That but more than anything, I want more Zone of the Enders and new IPs.

We already saw Castlevania go to shit with no true successor and with the outsourcing. I hope The Phantom Pain ties things up enough so that we can leave it at that and get Kojima a vacation and a producer job.

At this point all that's left from Konami are cash grabs from Winning Eleven, Bemani Rhythm Games, and Yugioh/Published tie ins.

We don't have anymore Hard Corps Uprising games, Castlevania games, Suikoden games. They need to either revisit these or make new IP.

I mean as much as Capcom and Sega screws up, they don't fail to revisit IPs and make new ones which are more or less good games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom