• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hey Sn4ke, you gonna get the quiet figure
2hvHVHt.gif

162euux2.gif

No.

wilsonda

What do you mean by "appealing too much to the CoD crowd"? You don't want it to make money? ;D

MGO wasn't really stealthy. It was closer to a tactical shooter. Outside of Team Sneak and Sneaking, positioning, headshots and teamwork were king.

In watching MGO footage it most game types were very much tactical shooter.. I'd love to see a move closer to the MP in SC blacklist. There was online play that made stealth killing really feel rewarding

I have absolutely no problem with vehicles either though

i think it was pretty obvious that zero would make an appearance and i'm glad it's not piddock, he was completely uninspired in mgs3. like he just walked in and read off the paper before his morning cup of coffee

Sn4ke_911

i think it was pretty obvious that zero would make an appearance and i'm glad it's not piddock, he was completely uninspired in mgs3. like he just walked in and read off the paper before his morning cup of coffee

Well i don't mind him gone but what the heck is going on. First Hayter and now this guy. Does Konami really pay that poorly for their voice actors?

Well i don't mind him gone but what the heck is going on. First Hayter and now this guy. Does Konami really pay that poorly for their voice actors?

i doubt it. considering hayter himself said he probably didn't get the job because he was pushing the limits of what voice actors get paid. i wouldn't be surprised if sutherland is getting what hayter would have gotten

JayEH

So the payment was not enough? or wtf is this guys problem.

Maybe it was insultingly low. I can't imagine he asked for much...unless he tried to take advantage of his position and has now found out he is expendable.

I liked him. Is the opinion of most people here though?

Maybe it was insultingly low. I can't imagine he asked for much...unless he tried to take advantage of his position and has now found out he is expendable.

I liked him. Is the opinion of most people here though?

i honestly don't know. i'm very picky about voice acting though. piddock's zero was a huge step back from eiding's cambell (even AI campbell, which was perfect) as the main point of contact during the game

Sn4ke_911

Also this comment from Dogg is complete bullshit.

2014-12-0121_42_11-jibfdq8.png

Zero will be one of the main villains if not THE one.

Just because we haven't seen him yet doesn't mean he won't have much dialogue in the game lol.

I expected better from a guy who get's paid to play the MGS series almost every day lol. Don't get me wrong i like Dogg but that's a stupid thing to say.

JayEH

i honestly don't know. i'm very picky about voice acting though. piddock's zero was a huge step back from eiding's cambell (even AI campbell, which was perfect) as the main point of contact during the game

It didn't feel like Zero was the main point of contact during 3 at least compared to how often you talked to Campbell in the other games.

Eiding should have won an oscar for his performance as AI Campbell. It's not until your second or third playthrough that you realize the subtleties in his voice.

Just because we haven't seen him yet doesn't mean he won't have much dialogue in the game lol.

I expected better from a guy who get's paid to play the MGS series almost every day lol. Don't get me wrong i like Dogg but that's a stupid thing to say.

Given Kojima's comments from earlier this year, it didn't seem like Zero would have a major role in the game. He could still be the "main" villain in the game but still be shown very little.

well...within the context of an MGS game, he may not have much dialogue relative to someone like kaz or ocelot. it's certainly conceivable that zero could be in the game as the main villain and only have a small amount of speaking scenes in the game. perhaps the offer for poddick was much smaller than mgs3 because he had significantly less lines? that would make perfect sense

It didn't feel like Zero was the main point of contact during 3 at least compared to how often you talked to Campbell in the other games.

well the radio, or at least the required radio calls were toned down significantly in MGS3 (probably in response to the complaints about how many ridiculously long required codecs there are in MGS2), but zero definitely has most of the required and plot-based radio time. either way, he shows no emotion, no subtlety in his lines at all, just completely flat reading of lines that any ol' bloke could do. i'm sure they could get a lesser known actor in there who could do better

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That was a disrespectful response by Jim. His role in 3 was minor compared to David Hayter and Jim only appeared in 1 big game. Why the hell would they offer him something big if his role would still be minor?

The guy has to put bread on his table. Without knowing the figures involved - or indeed the amount of work - we can't be sure whether he was being disrespectful or simply practical.

JayEH

The guy has to put bread on his table. Without knowing the figures involved - or indeed the amount of work - we can't be sure whether he was being disrespectful or simply practical.

Was going to say the same thing. Can't make any assumptions on deals we weren't part of.

Chinner

Banned
I agree, I don't think he's acting entirely professional on twitter. I won't miss him and I'm with GreyOcelot in terms of thinking he was somewhat flat compared to Campbell.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
If both Zero and Snake, probably 2 of the most important characters in the series, got treated like shit, Konami has just lost the little respect I had left for them.

JayEH

I agree, I don't think he's acting entirely professional on twitter. I won't miss him and I'm with GreyOcelot in terms of thinking he was somewhat flat compared to Campbell.

Well Hayter wasn't acting great either so he's not alone.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I dont know the full context of that tweet but Zero had really set a precedent of being behind the shadows with little presence in every game other than 3. I hope Zero appears more but I fear he will not :(

Mature

I actually like Zero as this invisible enemy that characters sort of shudder to hear. I wouldn't mind if he acted through proxies most or all of the game. It adds to his mystique.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine Zero will only appear near the end, him and Big Boss teaming up to take down Skullface and then Zero asking him to take the reign of FOXHOUND, thinking they're on the same side again.

Palpable

I imagine Zero will only appear near the end, him and Big Boss teaming up to take down Skullface and then Zero asking him to take the reign of FOXHOUND, thinking they're on the same side again.

Kojima has said that TPP will depict the relationship between Zero and Big Boss as well as Zero and Skull Face. I think it's safe to say he won't simply have a small role or only be in it at the end.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I actually like Zero as this invisible enemy that characters sort of shudder to hear. I wouldn't mind if he acted through proxies most or all of the game. It adds to his mystique.

At that point I would question why he was even given that role in the story in the first place! If there was no need for a tangible character they could've just substituted Zero with the Patriots as the mysterious organization they were in MGS2. I think it's important that MGSV show more of Zero, especially as I feel there is still quite a disconnect between his MGS3 self and the huge history of the character Eva lays out in Act 3. This chapter has the opportunity to better lay out his motivations and personality.

Sn4ke_911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHfaAPgBKc

The Famitsu x Dengeki PS 20th Anniversairy stream has some really good special guests showing up tomorrow :

Morita Atsushi - SCEJ President
Horii Yuji - Dragon Quest
Hiroyuki Kobayashi - Resident Evil
Hideo Kojima/Yoji Shinkawa - Metal Gear Solid
Hideo Baba - Tales of

At that point I would question why he was even given that role in the story in the first place! If there was no need for a tangible character they could've just substituted Zero with the Patriots as the mysterious organization they were in MGS2. I think it's important that MGSV show more of Zero, especially as I feel there is still quite a disconnect between his MGS3 self and the huge history of the character Eva lays out in Act 3. This chapter has the opportunity to better lay out his motivations and personality.

i agree. this harkens back to that big argument about kojima shoehorning the mgs3 support group into being the founders of the patriots. it would do the series well to bridge that gap or at least flesh out zero as a villain. right now zero is just the boring british guy who likes james bond, and for some strange reason is the new underground silent villain of the series. i feel like if kojima could take one thing back about the series, it'd be that. this game would allow him to at least make up for it by providing some much needed character development.

having said that, character development does not mean the dude has to give a 20 minute expository monologue, which is probably what will happen

Mature

i agree. this harkens back to that big argument about kojima shoehorning the mgs3 support group into being the founders of the patriots. it would do the series well to bridge that gap or at least flesh out zero as a villain. right now zero is just the boring british guy who likes james bond, and for some strange reason is the new underground silent villain of the series. i feel like if kojima could take one thing back about the series, it'd be that. this game would allow him to at least make up for it by providing some much needed character development.

having said that, character development does not mean the dude has to give a 20 minute expository monologue, which is probably what will happen
This is the only thing I'm afraid of regarding Zero. I kind of hope hes portrayed as a paranoid recluse.

I like how every time Hayter tweets something that screams sarcasm, people are like "Wow. Glad he's gone." Zero's VA was literally bitching about his paycheck on Twitter, I refer to him as unprofessional, and people get defensive. I swear to God, I'm so done once MGSV is out. XD

JayEH

I like how every time Hayter tweets something that screams sarcasm, people are like "Wow. Glad he's gone." Zero's VA was literally bitching about his paycheck on Twitter, I refer to him as unprofessional, and people get defensive. I swear to God, I'm so done once MGSV is out. XD

I've heard it both ways but yeah it's really funny that when both Hayter and Piddock are no longer in the game, a whole bunch of people come out saying they were horrible voice actors and they're glad that they'r gone lol. I don't have a problem with having that opinion (I'm not particular fond of either one's work) but it's just funny people bring that up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom