• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Too shy to make a LTTP thread, but I played and finished Ground Zeroes for the first time last night on PS4 and really loved it. Can't believe how well it plays. Mechanically it's so much more fun than previous Metal Gears. Even when I knew where my objective was I was just exploring the base and taking down / sneaking past guards.

Looks sharp visually also. Hell, even Kiefer as Big Boss is growing on me quite a bit. Bring on Phantom Pain!

Dawg

Too shy to make a LTTP thread, but I played and finished Ground Zeroes for the first time last night on PS4 and really loved it. Can't believe how well it plays. Mechanically it's so much more fun than previous Metal Gears. Even when I knew where my objective was I was just exploring the base and taking down / sneaking past guards.

Looks sharp visually also. Hell, even Kiefer as Big Boss is growing on me quite a bit. Bring on Phantom Pain!

Welcome to the good side.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Haha.

This thread is amazing : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958990&page=7

uwZS1F_HLO4.jpg

Demon side.

Diamond side.

I'm kinda worried PC players will find out all the secret characters in the game files and spoil people.

For this reason, I'm going to avoid the internet when MGS V releases. Unless PC release is later. I'll avoid the internet anyway tho.

I think they'd have been found by now if they were in the code. There's mentions of Quiet and DD but I haven't seen much more.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question: If Solidus' name was "George Sears", and he adopted Raiden, does that mean Jack's full name is Jack Sears?

JayEH

I have a question: If Solidus' name was "George Sears", and he adopted Raiden, does that mean Jack's full name is Jack Sears?

I imagine he would keep his family's name. Come to think of it...more people in the Metal Gear universe need their last name clarified.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine he would keep his family's name. Come to think of it...more people in the Metal Gear universe need their last name clarified.

We only know the Peace Walker cast, Otacon and Emma, Zero, Para-Medic, Sigint. Hell, we don't even know if the Sons of Big Boss were given Big Boss' last name or not.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
am I qualified to join you guys?

also Portable Ops should be more recognized.

help me grind peace walker trophies
and by that i mean "wait until i get a replacement disc or download it from the psn store, then help"

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
am I qualified to join you guys?

also Portable Ops should be more recognized.

MGS3 is a fairly easy Platinum to get, you should finish up that 77% one of these days if you're so inclined. MGS2 platinum is quite a challenge, and I imagine Peace Walker is quite a time sink. Cool @ the MGS4 plat.

Yeah Portable Ops has some cool aspects. I liked its story more than Peace Walker and it at least actually has boss characters.

It wasn't a legitimate adoption. He was a war orphan; I doubt there was any paperwork detailing the transfer of parental rights and all the side stuff that might've entailed like last names lol

Is there any reason why Metal Gear 2 Snake's Revenge hasn't been given a shout? Was it not just a port of MG2 from MSX to NES? I know it wasnt official supported by Kojima, but I don't think Twin Snakes was either.

Just curious.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason why Metal Gear 2 Snake's Revenge hasn't been given a shout? Was it not just a port of MG2 from MSX to NES? I know it wasnt official supported by Kojima, but I don't think Twin Snakes was either.

Just curious.

no it wasn't, it was a sequel to the NES game made entirely in America without Kojima's involvement. In fact, Kojima hearing that they released it made him go "I can do better", which is how Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was created.

no it wasn't, it was a sequel to the NES game made entirely in America without Kojima's involvement. In fact, Kojima hearing that they released it made him go "I can do better", which is how Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was created.

Really? Thanks for the clarification. Every day is a school day.

Really? Thanks for the clarification. Every day is a school day.

Fun fact, if you have the HD collection they re-translated the original MSX Metal Gear titles into English for MGS3 Subsistence, they are worth a playthrough that way if you ask me.

They are a little more archaic than MGS1 and the rest of the games but they are still amazing especially when you consider how the series has panned out and you can see the genius of Kojima right from the beginning.

Considering the way MGSV:TPP is being made, and the scenario design is supposedly far more like the original vision he had for the series than any of the games before.

It's basically going to be Snake Eater on steroids, if you want my prediction.

Mifec

Hello friends it's time I posted here, feels like just the right thread after I made the horrible decision of posting in a TB thread on GAF.

I'm kinda worried PC players will find out all the secret characters in the game files and spoil people.

For this reason, I'm going to avoid the internet when MGS V releases. Unless PC release is later. I'll avoid the internet anyway tho.

If the delay between pc and consoles is significant I'll have to drug myself until it comes out.

TPP is basically Peace Walker on steroids in terms of gameplay.

And Peace walker is the best Metal Gear since 3.

Are you insane?

No offense but PW is nowhere near the greatness of MGS3, if anything MGSV feels like a highly refined MGS4 with a couple of the only good things PW added(Mother Base, Multi-CQC), PW was a terrible game with a terrible story.

The gameplay is boring because of the truncated level structure that was no where near as good as MGS3's.

Skullface

Are you insane?

No offense but PW is nowhere near the greatness of MGS3, if anything MGSV feels like a highly refined MGS4 with a couple of the only good things PW added(Mother Base, Multi-CQC), PW was a terrible game with a terrible story.

The gameplay is boring because of the truncated level structure that was no where near as good as MGS3's.

Meh. I don't think PW's story is much worse than 3's. I really dislike how they cranked the camp to 11. At least Peace Walker reeled it in a bit throughout the mandatory story. MG2:SS-MGS2 had the best stories in the series.

That's not entirely true, Snake's Revenge was still developed by Konami Japan, though it was never released over there, and the reason Kojima made the real MG2 is actually because when he met Snake Revenge's director, the guy begged him to make his own sequel.
(I'm not entirely sure, but I think Snake's Revenge's director worked on MG's original MSX version as well...some of Snake's Revenge's stuff did, at least.)

DrKelpo

Banned
I had a wonderful dream of playing mgo 3. It was a swamp-like map in a Valley and at dusk. At the edges of the valley on top of a plateau was a huge factory with red lights all over gleaming in the distance. Some guy tried to ran past me while bring in a box, but I killed him with a knife.

Jingo

It just hits me, do you guys think this game could come as episodical?

Considering ground zeroes and phantom pain size, maybe the game coming in two episodes, one for each country, what do you think?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
That's not entirely true, Snake's Revenge was still developed by Konami Japan, though it was never released over there, and the reason Kojima made the real MG2 is actually because when he met Snake Revenge's director, the guy begged him to make his own sequel.
(I'm not entirely sure, but I think Snake's Revenge's director worked on MG's original MSX version as well...some of Snake's Revenge's stuff did, at least.)

Right. Also, Snake's Revenge includes some...weird design decisions like having obligatory Contra-like shoot-em-ups, and Big Boss turning into a giant robot at the end.

Didn't you pay attention in MGS3?

It's John
Doe

I have no idea

I think John Doe is right, he says to Para-Medic that he "wasn't joking...", plus I'd make sense for the Patriots to name their main AI after him.

Right. Also, Snake's Revenge includes some...weird design decisions like having obligatory Contra-like shoot-em-ups, and Big Boss turning into a giant robot at the end.

I think John Doe is right, he says to Para-Medic that he "wasn't joking...", plus I'd make sense for the Patriots to name their main AI after him.

as far as we know, yes that's true. but i always assumed that the name was given to him at some point. we really don't know about his childhood or anything like that, right?

So how much is known about Tokugawa heavy industries?

Also, considering what little we know of big boss' heritage, I'd say the best way of determining such is to look up Kurt Russell's.

:/

JayEH

Are you insane?

Edit:I'll agree to disagree here.

I never said it was close to MGS3, I said it was the best game since MGS3. Every major gameplay system in TPP is based off of PW. Mother Base itself is a huge part of the game. PW is all gameplay which I really appreciate and has tons of content (as well as wacky stuff to do). It's also a PSP game so you can't compare to MGS3 in terms of level design. I don't get the hate for PW's story it was fine and better than MGS4's cobbled mess.

PW is amazing for what it is (a PSP game) and I even go as far as to say it's a good game regardless of its platform.

The gameplay in GZ and TPP is more of a culmination of all the previous titles before it, particularly mgs3 and mgs4 mechanically...that's more due to the technical limitations of the psp than anything else, as a lot of the non-gameplay elements have been expanded for TPP. It feels like what PW would have been if it were a AAA console title. Not sure why you guys are arguing one way or the other, it's clearly a logical progression from all the previous games

JayEH

The gameplay in GZ and TPP is more of a culmination of all the previous titles before it, particularly mgs3 and mgs4 mechanically...that's more due to the technical limitations of the psp than anything else, as a lot of the non-gameplay elements have been expanded for TPP. It feels like what PW would have been if it were a AAA console title. Not sure why you guys are arguing one way or the other, it's clearly a logical progression from all the previous games

The original comment I was referring to was him saying this would be MGS3 on steroids and I just it's more of PW on steroids (in terms of all the gameplay systems not mechanics or story). I was trying to say what you said in terms of TPP being PW with a AAA budget.

I know the gameplay mechanics have involved from 3 and 4 but everything about TPP screams PW to me. Then it got into a tangential argument about the quality of PW. Sorry about that I'll stop.

So, I'm in the midst of MGS2 with my TPP-preparation series playthrough.

The games often offer explanations for the most inane shit that doesn't really need to be explained, but is there actually a canon explanation as to why the descriptions on the doors in the Big Shell are in japanese?

JayEH

So, I'm in the midst of MGS2 with my TPP-preparation series playthrough.

The games often offer explanations for the most inane shit that doesn't really need to be explained, but is there actually a canon explanation as to why the descriptions on the doors in the Big Shell are in japanese?

I really like all the dumb unnecessary explanations for everything in Metal Gear. Part of the series' charm. As far as the Japanese go I imagine it's just Kojima wanting to have more call backs to his home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom