• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that too, don't get me wrong.

I just always expected this to have some explanation as well, just Rose going "Yeah, the doors were developed by some japanese door manufacturer called Konami" or stuff like that.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Getting Peace Walker redownloaded on my Vita, it's a pretty great game. Just wish there wasn't this much grinding for soldiers and weapons in order to even stand a chance against the more powerful bosses.

Dawg

Love this.

B6IQgNZCYAAtr7m.jpg:large

via Omek

Pinewood

I really like all the dumb unnecessary explanations for everything in Metal Gear. Part of the series' charm. As far as the Japanese go I imagine it's just Kojima wanting to have more call backs to his home.

I like how they explain everything, but they cold be more subtle sometimes. And those long calls where they explain things to you like 3 times? Ugh.

Like MGS 3 had these calls:

Snake you're being attacked by blue birds.
BLUE BIRDS?
Yes you can get rid of them using seeds.
SEEDS?
Yes you use seeds.
These seeds?
Yes these.
Ok.
Now remember Snake, use seeds to get rid of birds.
Yes.
Remember the seeds.

I mean, come ooon.

(MGS1 Briefing)

Snake: Isn't there some way to prevent nuclear terrorism?

Campbell: There's the PAL, it stands for 'Permissive Action Link', the safety device for all nuclear weapon systems.

Snake: Gotcha!

DARPA Chief: There's the PAL, it stands for 'Permissive Action Link', the safety device for all nuclear weapon systems.

Campbell: Now that the terrorists know the detonation codes you need to find the keycard and activate this PAL safety system that the chief told you about.

(In the prison cell.)

Campbell: ...have you found a way to stop the nuclear launch?

Snake: There's this thing called PAL...

===================================

Point is, Metal Gear characters are stupid. I always loved how they treat "The Genom Soldiers carry Big Boss's genes" as a big plot reveal during Liquid's final speech and Snake is genuinly surprised, when this was already explicitly mentioned during the briefing as well...I know not everyone watched it but still...

Skullface

I like how they explain everything, but they cold be more subtle sometimes. And those long calls where they explain things to you like 3 times? Ugh.

Like MGS 3 had these calls:

Snake you're being attacked by blue birds.
BLUE BIRDS?
Yes you can get rid of them using seeds.
SEEDS?
Yes you use seeds.
These seeds?
Yes these.
Ok.
Now remember Snake, use seeds to get rid of birds.
Yes.
Remember the seeds.

I mean, come ooon.

I'm ok with it provided it's optional. It's not my thing, but if other people like it, just don't force me to endure it.

Skullface

(MGS1 Briefing)

Campbell: There's the PAL, it stands for 'Permissive Action Link', the safety device for all nuclear weapon systems.

DARPA Chief: There's the PAL, it stands for 'Permissive Action Link', the safety device for all nuclear weapon systems.

Campbell: Now that the terrorists know the detonation codes you need to find the keycard and activate this PAL safety system that the chief told you about.

(In the prison cell.)

Point is, Metal Gear characters are stupid. I always loved how they treat "The Genom Soldiers carry Big Boss's genes" as a big plot reveal during Liquid's final speech and Snake is genuinly surprised, when this was already explicitly mentioned during the briefing as well...I know not everyone watched it but still...

If you're booting up the game for the first time circa 1998, you watch the briefing, read the prior mission files, then maybe play some VR to warm up, a lot of that information is going right over your head. Then you start playing the game, context makes you understand these details. Or I like to think that's how it went down for a 10 year old me.

To be honest, I jumped straight into the game without the briefing when I first played it.

Point is, so did Snake apparently, because he straight up forgot most of it by the time the proper game starts.

Oh well, at least the briefing has one of my favorite word repeat conversations.

Campbell: ...and finally, FOXHOUND's squad leader, Liquid Snake.

Snake: Liquid Snake?

Campbell: Yes, and you're the only person who can stand against him.

Snake: Liquid Snake?

Campbell: Liquid Snake, the man with the same codename as you...

-Deimos

(MGS1 Briefing)

(In the prison cell.)

People are dumb. Can't make the game too hard or people won't buy it. I'm surprised I managed to finish MGS2 when I was a kid.

When ground zeroes came out the instant alerts didn't bother me. But now they kind of do. Not because of difficulty ( i always turn off reflex anyway) but it just feels immersion breaking. I understand you already have the refelx option but I think they should have radios too.

JayEH

Metal Gead characters are "dumb" since the player in a sense is dumb. It's all done for the sake of the player IMO.

When ground zeroes came out the instant alerts didn't bother me. But now they kind of do. Not because of difficulty ( i always turn off reflex anyway) but it just feels immersion breaking. I understand you already have the refelx option but I think they should have radios too.

Agreed. Makes no sense why the entire base is looking for me because one guy by the cliffs spots me. Wish they would get rid of reflex and instead have the radio call ins.

Dawg

I don't like losing points so reflex is off anyway. Sucks because a single enemy seeing you instantly means restart checkpoint or restart entire mission.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't like losing points so reflex is off anyway. Sucks because a single enemy seeing you instantly means restart checkpoint or restart entire mission.

Dawg pls, don't be that guy.

JayEH

I finished it on the PSP and as much as I loved it, for some reason I couldn't go through with another run through again when the HD version came out.

Also was bored at work today so I printed out a poster
oxpxNBg.jpg

Nice, I should look into printing some myself. I like the Lighting poster in the background too lol.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I finished it on the PSP and as much as I loved it, for some reason I couldn't go through with another run through again when the HD version came out.

oxpxNBg.jpg

Man that looks awesome, i'm jelly :/

JayEH

As someone who likes Halo:

1. The two series can't even be compared and that thread had me in tears over this db debate and
2. If we are comparing, No Halo is better than Metal Gear

Skullface

As someone who likes Halo:

1. The two series can't even be compared and that thread had me in tears over this db debate and
2. If we are comparing, No Halo is better than Metal Gear

Just so you know, I'd never actually engage in a debate between the two franchises. I just got a kick out of the "MGS is dying, Halo ruuulz" post. Especially considering that MGS has probably never been bigger and Halo has probably never been more divided. That's a personal observation of course. They've both simmered down over the years, but MGS seems to be experiencing a renaissance where as Halo seems lost.

Again, I love both series immensely.

Edit: I've been playing Peace Walker for the first time on a big screen via the Legacy Collection, and I have a feeling this will be the closest TPP experience I'll have for at least 6 months ;_; It's glorious

JayEH

Just so you know, I'd never actually engage in a debate between the two franchises. I just got a kick out of the "MGS is dying, Halo ruuulz" post. Especially considering that MGS has probably never been bigger and Halo has probably never been more divided. That's a personal observation of course. They've both simmered down over the years, but MGS seems to be experiencing a renaissance where as Halo seems lost.

Again, I love both series immensely.

Yeah I know you aren't engaging it just hilarious to see people argue over apples and oranges. OT but do you like the Halo 5 beta?

Skullface

Yeah I know you aren't engaging it just hilarious to see people argue over apples and oranges. OT but do you like the Halo 5 beta?

Meh. I like it when I'm winning, hate it when I'm losing. All in all, I find it to be way more complicated than a Halo experience should be. Playing it next to CE or H2 for instance makes me ponder "why?".

Pinewood

People are dumb. Can't make the game too hard or people won't buy it. I'm surprised I managed to finish MGS2 when I was a kid.

Yeah, but repeating the same thing in the same conversation starts to get on your nerves at some point. I have no beef with the MGS 1 example because those convos happen during different times in the game.

On another note I quite like the tape system in Peace Walker, means I can listen to what I want when I want. Especially those background files, as there are quite a few of them.

And MGS is way better than Halo. Can Halo swim? I bet he can't ever crawl :p

As mentioned in my previous post ( possibly pages back) I re-bought MGS:GZ digital to have it always on my ps4. The save files weren't compatible because my retail copy was from America so I had to start from the beginning which was no biggy. I also tried playing with headphones on and it was pretty amazing. The thing I liked most was we're back to 60fps again. Makes a huge difference with everything being so responsive with a solid framerate.

Batzi

Banned

oxpxNBg.jpg

Can you please send me the JPG/PNG source file you used? I'd like to frame that.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
GET. THE. FUCK. OUT.

How did you end up doing that? Holy shit this thread is bout to get interesting.

I dunno about interesting :)

Damo is on this "Never Ending" tour type thing. He gets booked to do a gig and his backing band are selected from local musicians. Everyone just improvises whilst Damo does his thing.

He's been to my town two or three times now and I was lucky enough to be asked by the promoters (who I know) to provide some nasty noises with a few other guys. It was fun. Had dinner with him beforehand, which was cool. He's nice. Very quiet and contemplative. Smiles a lot.

EDIT: BTW I think it's very easy to book him for a show. Can are still pretty esoteric.

JayEH

Does anybody know where i can buy those mgs shirts shown on kojima station?
Thanks in advance.

Don't know what shirts you're talking about specifically but a lot of the shirts and stuff they show there rarely come to US. There's a lot of official stuff that has come to Europe and there's a couple of websites that the Konami UK/EU Twitter tweet about that sell official merchandise.

Dawg

2014 is over, MGS-GAF.

We've speculated.

We've laughed.

We've hyped shit up every single time.

And we've cried... many times...

But... 2015 will be our year. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will release. It has to. Together with Metal Gear Online.

Our suffering won't be for nothing!

iupnm0hg9f5n21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom