• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopGun

Banned
Did anyone else notice that you can hear Meryl working out in the Deja Vu mission? She's inside the admin building, like Johnny on the toilet near the prison. It's not as obvious though.

Should I play portable ops?

Play it for yourself. I'm actually in the process of playing it now. I like it a lot. It lets you play as different officers, which seems weird at first, but becomes pretty addicting when you can play as fucking
Gray Fox.

I actually think that the level design in Portable Ops is better than Peace Walker's in a lot of places, but Peace Walker is a great game as well. They both have their pros and cons, but Portable Ops is worth playing... don't listen to the detractors. It's also canonical, so that's another reason to play it.

Gameplay:

6. MGS4/D

Did you not play the MGO portion of MGS4? Underneath the problematic campaign was a great set of game mechanics that wasn't shown off much past chapter 2 but man did it shine online.

Did anyone else notice that you can hear Meryl working out in the Deja Vu mission? She's inside the admin building, like Johnny on the toilet near the prison. It's not as obvious though.

Shit like this and the soon cross platform Raiden mission is making me regret renting this, so many little things I'm missing out on. Ugh.

What's with the "Made you wait, didn't I ?" in the thread title ? Is there a joke I'm not getting ? The proper quotation is "Kept you waiting, huh ?".

Did you not play the MGO portion of MGS4? Underneath the problematic campaign was a great set of game mechanics that wasn't shown off much past chapter 2 but man did it shine online.

Yes I played MGO.

It wasn't that good. Running around shooting M4's nonstop didn't make for very interesting gunplay.

Don't remember much stealth, think I played a couple of Snake vs World missions or something, but nothing all that memorable.

I thought the bosses were good, but they were ruined due to being sponges and requiring grinding to make them a bit easier - especially when you're not playing co-op.

That's the biggest problem I had with Peace Walker. The boss fights. It takes 50+ rockets to take some of them down.. made them very tedious and I always dreaded it because I'd have to spend 30-45 minutes taking down one boss.

JayEH

What's with the "Made you wait, didn't I ?" in the thread title ? Is there a joke I'm not getting ? The proper quotation is "Kept you waiting, huh ?".

Of course it's a joke. It's like calling Big Boss "Large Leader".

Actually it's another way to translate "mataseta na". I picked the other translation because

1. Everyone already using kept you waiting huh a lot
2. That's how it was translated for the MGS2 trailer.

Yes I played MGO.

It wasn't that good. Running around shooting M4's nonstop didn't make for very interesting gunplay.

Don't remember much stealth, think I played a couple of Snake vs World missions or something, but nothing all that memorable.

Oh man, someone didn't play enough team sneaking. Oh well, at least you gave online a shot while it was around.

cackhyena

Man, I would have had a much better opinion of 4 if I was a part of the multiplayer, I think. Never looked up that stuff till now. Can't wait to see how TPP fairs in that respect. Could be the areas are at least the size of GZ to accommodate the fact that you can actually run like a normal human being now. Pumped.

malfcn

The battles are good and bad in Peace Walker. That balance of bad ass and tough boss can be a challenge. Too easy or too hard.

Rex was a challenge in MGS. The Rays, Rex versus Ray and Gecko felt too weak. Some of that epic feeling of a fear induced by a nuclear opponent is lost when you can mash out the victory.

malfcn

Kind of pissed at this Cocoon fight. It's boring and easy. Then I get the pod open and no way to get up there. Must be a ladder I can't see.

Haha never mind, it was there. That was easy.

DedValve

Banned
The only metal gear game I ever played was revengeance. So thanks to the sale I picked mgshd for the vita (sucks that it doesn't come with peace walker...I'll wait for a sale for that.)

Have no idea what I'm in for but for $9 I can't go wrong. I'm also super interested in ground zeroes. So outside the 3 had collection games is mgs4 worth it? The super long cutscenes turn me off.

Holykael1

Banned
The only metal gear game I ever played was revengeance. So thanks to the sale I picked mgshd for the vita (sucks that it doesn't come with peace walker...I'll wait for a sale for that.)

Have no idea what I'm in for but for $9 I can't go wrong. I'm also super interested in ground zeroes. So outside the 3 had collection games is mgs4 worth it? The super long cutscenes turn me off.

Why are you even playing Metal Gear then xD?
They are very story driven games, it's "the point" arguably, if you skip all the cutscenes all games are like 3-6 hours long. If you want pure gameplay I wouldn't even bother with MGS 1-4 and would just play Ground Zeroes/PP. They all have 10-40 min cutscenes, MGS 4 is heavier on that but it has as much as gameplay as the others. It took me 17 hours to beat and there are like 9 hours of cutscenes I think. MGS2 for instance is 10 hours long and has like 5 hours of cutscenes. MGS 1 is 9 hours long and has like 4 hours of cutscenes, same with 3..

Lucid07

Actually it's another way to translate "mataseta na". I picked the other translation because

1. Everyone already using kept you waiting huh a lot
2. That's how it was translated for the MGS2 trailer.

I actually thought it was because we must have been waiting so long for someone to create a Metal Gear Community Thread.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
GAF, do you remember what day tomorrow is?
CljkPV4.png
I guess he's doing a version for each main console game.

That's the biggest problem I had with Peace Walker. The boss fights. It takes 50+ rockets to take some of them down.. made them very tedious and I always dreaded it because I'd have to spend 30-45 minutes taking down one boss.

Yeah, it felt more Monster-Hunter-ish and RPG-ish. Less spongy and I would've liked it better, since the bosses did have great attack patterns.

malfcn

Recruiting is a pain. Really have to load to knock a single guy out in ten seconds to load and do it again? I'm enjoying the game, but the grind just tacks on unnecessary time.

Yeah, it felt more Monster-Hunter-ish and RPG-ish. Less spongy and I would've liked it better, since the bosses did have great attack patterns.

I agree. I love Monster Hunter, it's one of my favorite series. I can see how your comparison works, but at least in Monster Hunter there is strategy and lots of different moves/combos you can do with your weapon that make those long hunting sessions fun as hell and worth it. Peace Walker is just shooting rockets, which makes the long boss battles less fun and more annoying than anything.

Recruiting is a pain. Really have to load to knock a single guy out in ten seconds to load and do it again? I'm enjoying the game, but the grind just tacks on unnecessary time.

Are you planning on 100%-ing the game? If not, don't worry about recruitment. It's not that big of an issue for your first play through. I beat Peace Walker just by recruiting the people I ran across during missions that I had to do. I did, however, grind some of the vehicle battles to capture the vehicles and the commanders, but that's not even necessary if you're not doing outer-ops.. I just did it because it was fun.

malfcn

I was trying to recruit faster to upgrade some things.
And I still don't like the upgrade process. I can't see what the benefits are, other than seeing it go from Rank 1 to 2 to 3 etc. After the fact you can see things like, the Hush Puppy is more durable. Do I just assume damage or durability or ammo count always go up?

And Sneaking Suit is the shit. I can run around and barely anyone notices.

I was trying to recruit faster to upgrade some things.
And I still don't like the upgrade process. I can't see what the benefits are, other than seeing it go from Rank 1 to 2 to 3 etc. After the fact you can see things like, the Hush Puppy is more durable. Do I just assume damage or durability or ammo count always go up?

And Sneaking Suit is the shit. I can run around and barely anyone notices.

I love the Sneaking Suit. No footstep noise is OP.

Damage/durabilty goes up with higher ranks. It can be hard to notice though, but higher ranks do pay off in the long run.

I agree. I love Monster Hunter, it's one of my favorite series. I can see how your comparison works, but at least in Monster Hunter there is strategy and lots of different moves/combos you can do with your weapon that make those long hunting sessions fun as hell and worth it. Peace Walker is just shooting rockets, which makes the long boss battles less fun and more annoying than anything.

Yeah, that made it unbalanced. More options would have been great, since you have a damn private army on your side.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Damn, this is great. Better than his first trailer. I hope he does every other game.
I agree, I like this one a little more than the last. But that might just be my MGS2 bias talking :p

April... 30th? :D
Dat release date synergy!
I also like the tag lines he comes up with for the big "roll call" segment. "A Shadow Of A Fallen Hero" is pretty badass and fits Solidus perfectly.

JayEH

I like the MGS2 trailer, MGSV Style more than the MGS one.

Can't wait for some "War has Changed" in the MGS4 trailer. Probably wouldn't fit with the music though.

Edit: The character tag lines could also use some work.
For Solid Snake it should have said: Iroquois Plissken: Something Something back from the dead or something.

Betty

Banned
The character tag lines could also use some work.
For Solid Snake it should have said: Iroquois Plissken: Something Something back from the dead or something.

Well for that particular shot, he'd shed the Plissken person and went back to being Solid Snake, so it wouldn't make sense to label him anything else.

The Cobra Unit taglines should be hilarious. The Pain - A soldier buzzing with agony

DedValve

Banned
Anyone know the control scheme for mgs2 vita? I have no idea how to heal and reload and this Russian chic is kicking my ass.

Edit: yyyeeesssss I defeated Olga! I figured out how to heal but not how to reload.

malfcn

I assume it's the first..but the battle with Peace Walker was cake. But that mashing section afterwards was brutal. (Done with Chapter 3)

JayEH

Anyone know the control scheme for mgs2 vita? I have no idea how to heal and reload and this Russian chic is kicking my ass.

Edit: yyyeeesssss I defeated Olga! I figured out how to heal but not how to reload.

Touch the icons on screen.

DedValve

Banned
Touch the icons on screen.

That's what I can't figure out. Touch the screen then what?

To heal I have to drag my finger to the item then press x but to reload I usually have to wait till I run out and reload but it appears I'm out despite having a magazine that I can use....

That's what I can't figure out. Touch the screen then what?

To heal I have to drag my finger to the item then press x but to reload I usually have to wait till I run out and reload but it appears I'm out despite having a magazine that I can use....

Touch the gun icon to I equip and then touch it again to re-equip, it will have a full magazine

JayEH

This is random but I just realized I played quite a bit of MGO in MGS4. Guess its been so long I had forgotten lol.

MGO 3 is hopefully going to be awesome. If TPP is as big as Kojima is claiming and there's MGO, TPP will be a great value.

This is random but I just realized I played quite a bit of MGO in MGS4. Guess its been so long I had forgotten lol.

i even have the standalone japanese MGO :D
290px-Metal_gear_online.jpg

Too bad i stopped playing when i changed my PS3 to a new one and couldnt figure out what i had used for the hideous Konami ID and Game ID systems. Didn't really have interest in starting from zero again.

malfcn

It was pretty bad ass when "heavens divide" kicked in on that helipad battle.

Coldman is insane. I understand the implication of Russia and Cuba, but is no one going to care of the Caribbean gets nuked? LOL.

valkyre

Well let's look through the gameplay of MGS4

The first chapter had a good amount of stealth, but the FROG battle was annoying and I didn't very much care for it.

The second chapter was similar to the second. Ending was fun, but really wasn't all that great.

Third chapter sucked. Following someone for a whole area isn't interesting, and being forced to trail him is a poor design choice. The chase sequence wasn't fun due to how slow the turn movement of Snake. Boss battle suffered from this as well.

Fourth chapter didn't do anything for me. Sure it was nice to go back to SM, but replacing all the enemies with dwarfs killed it and I didn't like it.

Fifth chapter had two minutes of actual stealth.

So two good chapters, one mediocre chapter and two horrible chapters.

Ok I guess, but then again I cannot understand how you put MGS2 in 3rd place for example. The way cutscenes are incorporated into its gameplay it looks like a massive MGS4 fifth chapter game... cutscenes all the time, forced codec calls didnt ruin it for you?

And then again its not about clocked gameplay time, but gameplay mechanics. Going back to play/aim/shoot MGS1/2 is a hassle. That overhead view is just ugly. And the aiming is real crap. I would prefer to play 2 hours of MGS4 gameplay mechanics rather than 20 hours of overhead view aim crapiness.

Also the diversity of MGS4 gameplay is second to none. All these gadgets, all these options add a flexibility that simply no other installment has (GZ not included)

I am not saying that gameplay is just that, its also pacing etc etc I agree. But bottom of the list is a bit too much.

And as far as actual gameplay duration goes, MGS4 has more than most games on the list.

Anyway, opinions :)

SHAZOOM

I actually just beat it tonight for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Some aspects of it are better than Peace Walker, like how you can actually see the soldier's faces when you play as them, even if there are only like 3 different faces.

There are actual interesting bosses, instead of tanks and singing robots.

Dragging people to the truck is annoying, but actually makes more sense than constantly having helicopters fly by for the fulton, or somehow using the fulton indoors.

I played it on vita though, I can't imagine how shitty the controls must've been on a PSP

You know you can drag them to a teammates card board box and have them do a mass pick up in Portable Ops? So many people just make that game harder than it has to be.

Drag to teammate>radio for pickup>teammate takes soldiers back to truck. So easy.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
You know you can drag them to a teammates card board box and have them do a mass pick up in Portable Ops? So many people just make that game harder than it has to be.

Drag to teammate>radio for pickup>teammate takes soldiers back to truck. So easy.

Dayum, should've done that! That's great stuff really, makes restarting the game easier!
I liked Portable Ops and I think it's shorter than Peace Walker. I didn't mind the camera controls either, but it was still great playing a PS2-like Metal Gear Solid on PSP.

I found that out like halfway through the game lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom