• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

I wasn't on GAF then, but from what I've heard I believe so.

Hmmm it looks like Uncharted 2 won GOTY 2009. I guess they just had two polls and it won twice or something. I just always wondered because people always bring it up when talking about MGS4.

Hmmm it looks like Uncharted 2 won GOTY 2009. I guess they just had two polls and it won twice or something. I just always wondered because people always bring it up when talking about MGS4.

I don't think it was ranked with the 09 games, I think there was another 'game of the year 08' poll in 09 though, because I guess people were salty about it winning? If you find out more about it I'd actually like to know because it's pretty interesting as I don't think that's been done for any other game here before.

JayEH

I don't think it was ranked with the 09 games, I think there was another 'game of the year 08' poll in 09 though, because I guess people were salty about it winning? If you find out more about it I'd actually like to know because it's pretty interesting as I don't think that's been done for any other game here before.

Yeah you're right about them making another poll because of extreme salt. It was in 2012 though.

Reading through the replies is hilarious. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463726

There hasn't been any indication or hint that Strangelove will be in The Phantom Pain.

At this time we just don't know. Hopefully she will be in TPP. Hopefully it will expand upon her relationship with Huey, and maybe lead into the birth of Otacon and reveal Strangelove to be his mother. But this is all speculation.

Thanks. Though I believe Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes' end credits confirm that Strangelove is Otacon's mother.

Thanks. Though I believe Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes' end credits confirm that Strangelove is Otacon's mother.

Otacon's mother has not been confirmed yet... and it would probably make more sense for Strangelove to be Emma's mother. Strangelove was the AI scientist in Peace Walker, just like Emma in Sons of Liberty. This would make Strangelove Otacon's step-mom. Once again, speculation.

I just want an explanation on how a cripple was able to have a kid.

He's not a cripple in the trailer for The Phantom Pain. He gets prosthetic legs. Prosthetics seem to be a running theme this game.

JayEH

He's not a cirrple in the trailer for The Phantom Pain. He gets prosthetic legs. Prosthetics seem to be a running theme this game.

In the trailer it looked like his wheelchair just transforms so he's able to stand up and walk. Wouldn't explain how... other parts would work.

So I'm playing through MGS for the first time in over ten years, and I'm at the part where you fight Liquid on top of REX. I don't remember it being this hard lol. Whenever I get him down to around half health, he'll start blinking after one punch and then counter. Did this always happen? If I remember correctly, I would always be able to get in at least two punches, if not the full punch, punch, kick combo before he started blinking. The problem with this is I keep on running out of time before I can do enough damage. Is this a bug, or did that always happen?
Are playing on a PS3?

The same way Solid Snake looks like Big Boss.

You think it's a coincidence Huey and Otacon look identical?

Eh, I think that this is possible, but I doubt Hideo Kojima would write this into the story.

This is from the Metal Gear wiki:
"The Les Enfants Terribles project was first mentioned in Metal Gear Solid. According to Hideo Kojima, he created the plot point as an excuse for Solid Snake to fight a more difficult enemy while at the same time retaining his veteran status from the MSX2 games. This eventually led Kojima to feel that by creating that plot point, he "cheated", when discussing Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater."

It seems to me that Hideo Kojima wasn't fond of the whole "cloning" thing in retrospect, so it's doubtful he'd do it again.

Otacon's mother has not been confirmed yet... and it would probably make more sense for Strangelove to be Emma's mother. Strangelove was the AI scientist in Peace Walker, just like Emma in Sons of Liberty. This would make Strangelove Otacon's step-mom. Once again, speculation.

That would be weird. Otacon is maybe 10 years or so older than Emma. If Strangelove is Emma's mother, then that would mean that Huey hooked up with Otacon's mother, then eventually left her and hooked up with Strangelove, who had already given birth to Emma, as Huey is not Emma's father.

Doesn't Peace Walker's ending hint at Huey and Strangelove becoming a couple ? I swear it did that.

Doesn't Peace Walker's ending hint at Huey and Strangelove becoming a couple ? I swear it did that.

Here's what happened, you can make of it what you will:

At the end of the game, Huey confronts Strangelove: When asked by Huey if she hated him, she wondered with astonishment if he's asking her out. Huey denied it, and she remarked that it was a shame, as she "had her heart broken before", and she wanted someone who could stand up for themselves, remarking that love was blind (implying that she was attracted to Huey).
When I saw this scene, I thought maybe Strangelove was making a rude joke about Huey's impairment... "she wanted someone who could stand up for themselves". Seems like an odd thing to say to a cripple.

Instead of ranking the games I'll try something different:

MGS1- Best self contained story, paced like a 2 hour film. Classic.

MGS2- Best single section in the series (Tanker). Biggest graphical jump/mind blowing game upon release.

MGS3- Best boss battles ever (MGS1 not far behind) and longest of the series.

MGS4- Best gameplay and graphics/presentation. Biggest holy shit moments of the series.

JayEH

Instead of ranking the games I'll try something different:

MGS1- Best self contained story, paced like a 2 hour film. Classic.

MGS2- Best single section in the series (Tanker). Biggest graphical jump/mind blowing game upon release.

MGS3- Best boss battles ever (MGS1 not far behind) and longest of the series.

MGS4- Best gameplay and graphics/presentation. Biggest holy shit moments of the series.

This is definitely what they should use as a basis for the MGS movie (if that ever comes out).

Am i a fool for wanting MGS Legacy when i own all the games in it except for 2?

The PSN sale starting tommorow has me thinking of getting the HD Collection instead...but i kinda want a physical copy and Legacy is back to normal price...

really torn on this

Gameplay:
1. MGS3/A+
2. MGS Peacewalker/A
3. MGS2/B+
4. MGS1/B-
5. MGS:GZ/NA
6. MGS4/D

Story:
1. MGS2/A+
+++++++++++++++++++
2. MGS3/A
3. MGS1/A
4. MGS Peace Walker/D-
5. MGS Ground Zeroes/NA
6. MGS4/F-
--------------

Boss fights:
1. MGS3/A+
2. MGS1/B+
3. MGS2/B
4. MGS Peacewalker/D
5. MGS4/D- (REX-RAY saved it)

Fuck MGS4

valkyre

Gameplay:
1. MGS3/A+
2. MGS Peacewalker/A
3. MGS2/B+
4. MGS1/B-
5. MGS:GZ/NA
6. MGS4/D

Fuck MGS4

I can respect your opinion, but I honestly think that it is kinda overkill to put MGS4 gameplay to the bottom of the list... I mean seriously...?

It honestly doesnt make sense to me. But then again your last quote, pretty much suggests that you hated MGS4's guts and maybe you are a tad bit biased here.

Ishida

Banned
Should I play portable ops?

Sure. Here's a piece of advice: Whenever some game interests you, even a little bit, play it. Judge for yourself.

If I didn't play MGS4 back in the day, and asked here if I should play it, I would have a very vocal minority telling me to skip it. And if I listened to the haters I would've missed my favorite game of the last generation.

If there's even a small bit of interest for a certain game, give it a try. You may end up liking it, or hating it, or thinking it's at least decent, but it will be YOUR opinion.

BBboy20

Oh...forgot this thread existed *looks at his thread* I honestly have no idea if I'm going to be in any kind of trouble or not.

Holykael1

Banned
Sure. Here's a piece of advice: Whenever some game interests you, even a little bit, play it. Judge for yourself.

If I didn't play MGS4 back in the day, and asked here if I should play it, I would have a very vocal minority telling me to skip it. And if I listened to the haters I would've missed my favorite game of the last generation.

If there's even a small bit of interest for a certain game, give it a try. You may end up liking it, or hating it, or thinking it's at least decent, but it will be YOUR opinion.

Indeed, I'd rather be disappointed by my own design than possibly miss out on great games.

Are playing on a PS3?

Yeah, but I figured it out last night.

If you miss the second punch in the combo even slightly, he'll start blinking, which I mistook for anything after the first punch not working. I just wasn't used to aiming my punches with the d-pad, but once I got the hang of it again I beat him pretty easily.

I can respect your opinion, but I honestly think that it is kinda overkill to put MGS4 gameplay to the bottom of the list... I mean seriously...?

It honestly doesnt make sense to me. But then again your last quote, pretty much suggests that you hated MGS4's guts and maybe you are a tad bit biased here.

Well let's look through the gameplay of MGS4

The first chapter had a good amount of stealth, but the FROG battle was annoying and I didn't very much care for it.

The second chapter was similar to the second. Ending was fun, but really wasn't all that great.

Third chapter sucked. Following someone for a whole area isn't interesting, and being forced to trail him is a poor design choice. The chase sequence wasn't fun due to how slow the turn movement of Snake. Boss battle suffered from this as well.

Fourth chapter didn't do anything for me. Sure it was nice to go back to SM, but replacing all the enemies with dwarfs killed it and I didn't like it.

Fifth chapter had two minutes of actual stealth.

So two good chapters, one mediocre chapter and two horrible chapters.

G-Fex

Well let's look through the gameplay of MGS4

The first chapter had a good amount of stealth, but the FROG battle was annoying and I didn't very much care for it.

The second chapter was similar to the second. Ending was fun, but really wasn't all that great.

Third chapter sucked. Following someone for a whole area isn't interesting, and being forced to trail him is a poor design choice. The chase sequence wasn't fun due to how slow the turn movement of Snake. Boss battle suffered from this as well.

Fourth chapter didn't do anything for me. Sure it was nice to go back to SM, but replacing all the enemies with dwarfs killed it and I didn't like it.

Fifth chapter had two minutes of actual stealth.

So two good chapters, one mediocre chapter and two horrible chapters.

skipping all the cutscenes, it's about 2 hours of gameplay

2!

at least it was when I saw DRK play through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom