• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icefire1424

I can't confirm it but I'm pretty sure that someone said something would carry over to TPP. I'm in the same boat as you though and can't remember where I heard/read that.

As a precaution I'm making a point to rescue every prisioner in GZ with the hopes that they will somehow end up in my base in TPP (if they even have the same "recruiting" mechanic in TPP as they did in PW, that is).

In reality, I'm sure my OCD tendencies won't even pay off, but even if there's a chance...heh.

As a precaution I'm making a point to rescue every prisioner in GZ with the hopes that they will somehow end up in my base in TPP (if they even have the same "recruiting" mechanic in TPP as they did in PW, that is).

In reality, I'm sure my OCD tendencies won't even pay off, but even if there's a chance...heh.

Don't forget you can also use the chopper to abduct guards as well. Nt sure if they'll cross over, but it would be interesting if it effected TPP in some way.

Batzi

Banned
BmhjjT-CYAEfsiJ.jpg:large

E3 HYPE!

Update:
"The edit has come near to completion."

Man I can't even imagine what he will be showing with this one! I hope it is as long as the red band trailer!

psychotron

I have a confession to make. I never never finished MGS:2. I remember making it to vamp back when it first came out and for some reason just stopped playing. I've beaten every other MGS since, but not that. I plan to remedy this soon though. Just picked up the HD collection on PS3 and Vita and I'm making it my mission to get through it.

Batzi

Banned
I have a confession to make. I never never finished MGS:2. I remember making it to vamp back when it first came out and for some reason just stopped playing. I've beaten every other MGS since, but not that. I plan to remedy this soon though. Just picked up the HD collection on PS3 and Vita and I'm making it my mission to get through it.

We're going to pretend we didn't read that.

Get on with it damn it!

Icefire1424

Don't forget you can also use the chopper to abduct guards as well. Nt sure if they'll cross over, but it would be interesting if it effected TPP in some way.

Did think about that too actually, but as I recall from PW, Prisioners usually had better "stats", so figured I would get more value by targeting them. With that being said, in the
assassination
side mission, I do know the
sniper/spotter
can be captured...

Stopped right before a few really cool segments too...

I know, it's been my greatest shame for years. I don't know why I didn't go back to it, especially being the big fan I am of the series.

On the bright side it means you have more Metal Gear awesomeness at your fingertips that you've never played before! I've got nothing MGS to do but keep replaying GZ and the other games until Phantom Pain comes out

Batzi

Banned

fritzo

Got the patch. Can't play till after work though. When I start the game now my game data won't connect to the online servers. this has never happened before. anyone else having this issue?

Batzi

Banned
Got the patch. Can't play till after work though. When I start the game now my game data won't connect to the online servers. this has never happened before. anyone else having this issue?

It happened a couple of times before the patch. Normal. In fact, if you watch Kojima Station it happens often when they show a playthrough. Nothing to worry about, just exit the menu screen and press Options again.

JayEH

So I guess I've always been confused about this but does Ocelot turn out to be a good guy in the end?

I always figured he was working with Big Boss in some way throughout the games and he did
hypnotize himself in order to trick the Patriots.

J-Roderton

Looks like I'm going to beat MGS2 before this weekend. Looking forward to 3, since I've heard it is the best from so many people. Gonna try to do that one without any help from a guide.

Also, is there any need to spoiler tag stuff from the old games?

Going through the Legacy Collection right now. I'm surprised how good MGS 2 looks. The art style really holds up well, especially in HD.

Stated dabbling in snake tales, but I don't really know if I have the patience to finish them all. The urge to play MGS 3 is too strong.

Batzi

Banned
So I guess I've always been confused about this but does Ocelot turn out to be a good guy in the end?

I always figured he was working with Big Boss in some way throughout the games and he did
He was always loyal to Big Boss. He admired him and learned a lot from him. Whether he's good or bad is up for debate. But let's face it, the world of Metal Gear is split into two worlds. Big Boss' era and the Sons of Big Boss. Two ideologies, Big Boss' Outer Heaven and Zero's Patriots (New World Order). They both misinterpreted The Boss' will which was to bring the world together and make it one again. Their intentions were good but they did it all wrong.

Solid Snake was taught to hate Big Boss and was trained to kill him. We were told that Big Boss was a bad guy but then that was Zero's influence over the media so it's understandable. Big Boss sees Zero as a threat so he forms his own mercenary group but he's really not that different from Zero; he's creating an ideology and he expects people to join him and believe in it.

Long story short, they both had good intentions but circumstances forced them to take undesirable actions that reshaped them differently. Both have blood on their hands.

He's a 'good guy' in the same sense Big Boss or Solidus could be considered good guys. His goal was to destroy the patriots which is pretty good, but he was a pretty shitty human being and the means he used to achieve his goals were certainly not good and involved killing and torturing many people.

Well I played through the Jamais Vu mission earlier today and it was absolutely fantastic I loved the Snatcher music that played throughout alongside the occasional bit of music from Revengence. I'd say even though I liked the MGS1 Deja Vu Mission, the snatcher mission was way better, and it makes me hope and want Kojima to remake or make a sequel to Snatcher using the Fox Engine.

I really love Robin Atkin Downes performance thoughout this entire game and I look forward to his dialog in The Phantom Pain...I also really hope Big Boss has more dialog, that's my only real disappointment with Ground Zeroes(and the fact that attachments are so limited) overall, is that the few snippets of Kiefer's Big Boss were just little teases.

That said I really like Kiefer's performance, especially in the tapes he really reminds me of
Big Boss voiced by Richard Doyle at the end of MGS4.

Does anyone else think that perhaps the last Half to a quarter of Phantom Pain might be a remake of the events of MG1 and 2? The thing that makes me think that's happening is the fact that:

A) Hideo has no desire to remake those games...maybe because he already has

B) That it(The Phantom Pain) will contradict the canon a bit to tell the story he wants to tell

C) The Phantom Pain is about how Big Boss becomes a villain, revenge and how that cycle continues.

It'd be neat to go from playing as Big Boss, building up Diamond Dogs and then eventually that becomes Outer Heaven, a time skip occurs and then you have to infiltrate the base you just spent hours and hours upgrading as Solid Snake. I think it'd be cool if that was the case and how difficult it would end up being for Solid Snake to infiltrate would be based on what you did or didn't do while playing as Big Boss.

It's probably a complete pipe dream, but hey dreams are nice eh? Whatever Hideo Kojima cooks up for us will surely be amazing though.

Does anyone else think that perhaps the last Half to a quarter of Phantom Pain might be a remake of the events of MG1 and 2? The thing that makes me think that's happening is the fact that:

A) Hideo has no desire to remake those games...maybe because he already has

I don't remember his exact statement, but in a Twitch interview this year, Kojima implied that he may have to remake the MSX games due to things that have been retconned in those games. Something like that.

Done catching the Russian. What do I do to finish Zeke? How do I get the right parts.. grind?

To improve the chances of getting a part, such as the Railgun, Jet Boosters, etc. you need to destroy an AI weapon without damaging the part you want. E.G. To have a chance of getting thr Railgun, destroy the Chrysallis without damaging the Railgun.

If you have a high-rank Analyser, take that in the mission and you can see the health bars of each part of the Chrysallis in the pause menu.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

JayEH

I know it is a far fetch but I definitely wouldn't be surprised at all if Metal Gear is remade in TPP.

My mind would still be blown though.

malfcn

Just beat the Cocoon 2 and only hit the pod, nothing else.

Got :
2 C walk units (+1)
2 A power units
3 M leg units (+1)

No optional parts.

AI
S +4, A +6, C +1

Whatever all that means.

JayEH

Got :
2 C walk units (+1)
2 A power units
3 M leg units (+1)

No optional parts.

AI
S +4, A +6, C +1

Whatever all that means.

All this grinding you're doing is really turning me off on the idea of finishing Peace Walker...

malfcn

The grind really only set in at the end.
Looks like I need 2 head piece.

Basically the game says the end.
But if you really want the end you have to go obnoxiously out of your way.

Got :
2 C walk units (+1)
2 A power units
3 M leg units (+1)

No optional parts.

Don't do Cocoon. With Cocoon, you may get Armour for your ZEKE and that's not required. Get the Railgun and Radome from the Chrysallis and the Boosters from the Pupa.

malfcn

In the garage I have :
Walk, power and legs 100% and need 2 head parts.
Optional I have jet pack, armor and railgun. I guess I'm missing the radome and booster?

What is AI storage? Don't say I have to fill them all in...

Don't worry about AI storage, that's just to make your ZEKE stronger.

Sorry, I meant Jet Pack instead of boosters. That means you've got the almost everything.

So now you only need Radome fromt he Chrysallis.

All this grinding you're doing is really turning me off on the idea of finishing Peace Walker...

Yeah it's probably the worst thing about the game besides the story.

And Hayter's Performance was absolutely cringe inducing.

I don't remember his exact statement, but in a Twitch interview this year, Kojima implied that he may have to remake the MSX games due to things that have been retconned in those games. Something like that.

Interesting, let me know if you can find the video! I like watching his interviews, but I wish he was more animated like in the Japanese Kojima station episodes! SO much emotion, I think the last time I saw an interview where Kojima seemed genuinely excited to develop a new MGS was around the time of MGS3. That is my favorite one in the entire series besides the first, second, and fourth.

rekameohs

Banned
On my first pass through the series, just beat Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. That was a real fun experience. I had a hell of a time at the start of the game with getting caught every 3 seconds and getting lost as a motherfucker, but it picked up as things went along. I liked how the key cards were consolidated into the three colored cards to prevent from the huge time wasted sorting through menus like in the first game, and I really enjoyed some of the bosses. The invisible guy and Big Boss were particularly memorable. I do think that the backtracking was handled a little better in the first game, and something like the swamp is never really needed, but I did like the length compared to the first game, as well as the much smarter guards. In retrospect, I do think that I should have gone with Original difficulty instead of Easy, because by the end, I was just packing dozens of rations with near-infinite ammo and I know that's not how you're supposed to play the game. For the Solid games, I'll probably go with the normal difficulty; I just wanted to get through the MSX games first to play the series in order.

I'm excited to move on to Metal Gear Solid now, since that's clearly the one that put the series really on the map!

malfcn

Got another pupa. While playing around inside it I had an action prompt. What'd I miss?
And I hate the Chrysalis fight.
Never mind. Lock on missiles are awesome. :p
Zeke is complete.. Now what.

Interesting, let me know if you can find the video!

Here's the question and answer - it starts with ZOE and then goes to the MSX games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKS1gdnIGU&t=39m42s

I like watching his interviews, but I wish he was more animated like in the Japanese Kojima station episodes! SO much emotion,

Yeah, he's so electric in those Kojima Station episodes! :p

I think the last time I saw an interview where Kojima seemed genuinely excited to develop a new MGS was around the time of MGS3. That is my favorite one in the entire series besides the first, second, and fourth.

Yeah, he was excited during those times. It looks like he has renewed interest in the series once again, which is cool. But we'll see when the main game finally gets released. From the written interviews/articles, he seemed happy with PW too, in terms of it being an experiment.

Got another pupa. While playing around inside it I had an action prompt. What'd I miss?
And I hate the Chrysalis fight.
Never mind. Lock on missiles are awesome. :p

M47 Rocket Launcher is the best. But yeah, even then. Chrysallis is an annoying piece of junk.

Hmmm debating whether I should finish up Peace Walker's final chapter or not...on one hand I'm kinda in the mood for some Peace Walker after spending 9 hours in GZ over the past few days, but on the other I'm not sure I really want to bother with grinding AI fights instead of doing sneaking missions.

What's the best/easiest way to get ZEKE parts? Just fighting the story AI battles because they're the easiest?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Super Jelly that Japan gets more Kojima Station episodes then us. (and Kojima himself :p)

Are there subtitled versions of the Japanese KojiStat videos?

I like Sean Eyestone and the gang on the English cast, but I also don't wanna miss out on first-hand Kojima insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom