• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Done!

ygD9VW.gif

And saved.

OK, so what did we ever do to deserve this kind of treatment?

yeah i had a question regarding a missing GZ cutscene in the e3 2013 trailer a few months back.

walked in and noticed the posters in there were being weird. *sigh* just clicked the back arrow instead.

Grandpa_e3efae_976974.gif

Er, I'm pretty sure someone would have gladly answered that question to the best of their ability. I sincerely do not understand the stigma that surrounds this series and its fanbase. Like the series, it seems that the fanbase is being written off because of what others are saying rather than people finding out for themselves. This community is brilliant. Never have I had so much fun interacting with complete strangers (who have become my friends over time). There isn't a better gaming community out there. There aren't fans who love their favorite game as much as we love Metal Gear; that is a fact. This community will only get bigger with time - I say let it. Let's welcome in newcomers in whatever way we can, while retaining our undying love for Kojima-san and his masterpiece series.

0O6U5SZ.jpg

Was the answer in front of us the whole time????

CHICO de Mayo?? Or am I late on seeing this...

I know it's shopped

God, how real I wish that was. ;-;

Skullface

You know, I had wondered for a while if Kaz and McDonald were actually two different Millers all together. But... They make a point to mention that Miller was killed in 2005 before the credits. Either way, I'm moving on to replay GZ for the the umpteenth time, then it's Metal Gear 1 and 2. I'm genuinely excited to replay MGS when I get to it. It's been years.

On a side note, I'm giving my older brother my duplicate copies of MGS4 and Ground Zeroes. I'm so excited because we discovered MGS together back in '98. Like me, he fell off after playing MGS2. But I wound up picking 3 up years later, he never got around to it. I was so fucking happy to hear how excited he was to hear that everyone reprises their role for MGS4. When he asked me about V, I told him to take a seat...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Er, I'm pretty sure someone would have gladly answered that question to the best of their ability. I sincerely do not understand the stigma that surrounds this series and its fanbase. Like the series, it seems that the fanbase is being written off because of what others are saying rather than people finding out for themselves. This community is brilliant. Never have I had so much fun interacting with complete strangers (who have become my friends over time). There isn't a better gaming community out there. There aren't fans who love their favorite game as much as we love Metal Gear; that is a fact. This community will only get bigger with time - I say let it. Let's welcome in newcomers in whatever way we can, while retaining our undying love for Kojima-san and his masterpiece series.

Well said sir, well said.

I don't get the judgemental complaint of the community being weird in this thread, but the recent arguments and posts in the Anticipated thread certainly didn't help.

JayEH

I don't get the judgemental complaint of the community being weird in this thread, but the recent arguments and posts in the Anticipated thread certainly didn't help.

Commencing an all out attack on the Uncharted community...now!

Nothing said in that thread was worth the comments being said.

Well said sir, well said.

Thank you, mate!

The thing is, though, Sn4ke_911 was joking about a recount and Batzi started going in on the lack of innovation displayed with what we've seen thus far in Uncharted 4. After Batzi said something about Uncharted being Uncharted, Sn4ke_911 agreed - which he is certainly free to do. (As did JayEH.) Someone else then argued with these two (as, again, they are certainly free to do), and out of nowhere, ALL of NeoGAF's Metal Gear community gets lumped in with them. Hey, I love Sn4ke_911, Batzi, and JayEH, but we all have our own voices -- that's why we signed up for accounts at this forum. We signed up so we could be a part of the discussion, as well. Being blanketed in with others who share a similar interest by those on the outside looking in is quite insulting. Just frustrating that people were pulling the "MGS fanbase is cuckoo" card and getting away with it.

Commencing an all out attack on the Uncharted community...now!

Nothing said in that thread was worth the comments being said.

ALL MGSGAF, THIS IS C.P.!

Yeah, exactly. I don't get it.

We get weird (in a fun way I think )and pushy sometimes but we're usually very inviting to new people coming in and everyone here is really nice. Have no idea what that guy is talking about.

"the posters were being weird" - please continue.

hahahaha. that's great

q3e87zR.gif

The thing is, though, Sn4ke_911 was joking about a recount and Batzi started going in on the lack of innovation displayed with what we've seen thus far in Uncharted 4. After Batzi said something about Uncharted being Uncharted, Sn4ke_911 agreed - which he is certainly free to do. (As did JayEH.) Someone else then argued with these two (as, again, they are certainly free to do), and out of nowhere, ALL of NeoGAF's Metal Gear community gets lumped in with them. Hey, I love Sn4ke_911, Batzi, and JayEH, but we all have our own voices -- that's why we signed up for accounts at this forum. We signed up so we could be a part of the discussion, as well. Being blanketed in with others who share a similar interest by those on the outside looking in is quite insulting. Just frustrating that people were pulling the "MGS fanbase is cuckoo" card and getting away with it.

The whole community being lumped with the opinions of a few is frustrating, to say the least. So I get that.

It's just that the jokes about MGSV not being number 1. and the war against should have been made a bit clearer, and the arguments against Uncharted 4 felt a bit fanboy-ish and biased since those are 2 different situations - not only the arguments but the tone as well felt a bit obnoxious. I think that's part of the reason why some people assume the whole, which is a stupid way of thinking, but still.

The whole community being lumped with the opinions of a few is frustrating, to say the least. So I get that.

It's just that the jokes about MGSV not being number 1. and the war against should have been made a bit clearer, and the arguments against Uncharted 4 felt a bit fanboy-ish and biased since those are 2 different situations - not only the arguments but the tone as well felt a bit obnoxious. I think that's part of the reason why some people assume the whole, which is a stupid way of thinking, but still.

Yeah, I get that. You are totally spot on. Just frustrating is all! You're right, though.

JayEH

The ones who posted in that thread (me included) just take it personal when people make unfavorable comments about a series we love. I know I shouldn't but hey I did. I'll try to get better about it. That's all I say on it anymore.

This thread is UNFAZED though.

(New gif might be better)

senator-armstrong-vs-sam-indestructible-o.gif

Why would you use such a crappy picture of Snake? :(

I just found that on the internet.

Skullface

I always assumed you did it because you didn't like that Chico was always wearing headphones. So you made sure he would never lose them. You bastard.

I... I didn't mean to ;_;

He had to put the earjack somewhere.

At this point, this is the only conclusion I've been able to draw. Man, the GZ mission is so much more impactful when played head to head with Peace Walker.

Yeah, it's frustrating, because other people then get an opportunity to cause a stink on MGS fans, painting all of them with the same brush. :(

Yeah! No doubt. I generally try to ignore those sorts of insinuations, but it's a bit hard when it's coming at you in full force. Oh, well! No worries, I guess. MGSGAF can only get stronger and stronger! It's a Diamond Dog eat Diamond Dog world - shurfifal of the fittest.

I'll probably play MGS3, PW and GZ 24/7 the week before Phantom Pain releases.

You know, I wonder how it'll be for me. Since I never really stop playing MGS games, it still feels natural to play through them. I am slowing down my play a bit with The Phantom Pain's release upon us, because I want to balance my MGS play out a bit so that I can go into TPP relatively fresh. I think I'll do a story playthrough of the series starting a couple of weeks away from the game's release. Then, I'll play Ground Zeroes hours before TPP is released.

Yeah, I think that's how it'll go down for me! :-D

Skullface

I'll probably play MGS3, PW and GZ 24/7 the week before Phantom Pain releases.

Me too lol. I just finished my play through of GZ just now and it's just so amazing how the enemy AI makes each play through different. Also
dem next gen guts
. I don't remember that being as graphic on my PS3 copy.

JayEH

I don't think I'll be able to play through PW again. I was planning on playing Ground Zeroes like 30 minutes before midnight when TPP comes out so the whole story melds together.

Skullface

I don't think I'll be able to play through PW again. I was planning on playing Ground Zeroes like 30 minutes before midnight when TPP comes out so the whole story melds together.

I may just play the final mission in Peace Walker, then GZ. What ever happens, I'm definitely playing GZ before PP even enters my Bone. Well, since my Bone is a digital copy, I'll probably play while I wait for PP to install XD

The fuck is the deal with installs anyway? Does PS4 force you to install a physical game before playing it?

JayEH

I may just play the final mission in Peace Walker, then GZ. What ever happens, I'm definitely playing GZ before PP even enters my Bone. Well, since my Bone is a digital copy, I'll probably play while I wait for PP to install XD

The fuck is the deal with installs anyway? Does PS4 force you to install a physical game before playing it?

Yeah it installs for physical games. It usually goes pretty quick though. Discs are too slow to stream data so they just install everything to the HDD now.

I'm still dying to know why Chico had earbuds plugged into his chest o.o

You know, I was thinking about this the other day. Towards the beginning of the e3 2013 trailer, there's that camp omega scene where we see a prisoner being water boarded, then shot from behind. Given the location of the exit wound, it could be possible, although highly, HIGHLY unlikely, that it was chico. I mean the circumstances would involve the bullet missing his spine and sternum.

Also, regarding your MacDonald comment earlier, do you think kaz will drop his "peace" handle in favor of Mac at some point towards the end of the game given the descent into vengeance or do you think kojima could give fuck all about that?

JayEH

I think I added everyone on PSN so far (except Xpike since I was having some issues but I'll try again on my PS3 tomorrow).

I'll add Steam and Xbox folks tomorrow.

Skullface

You know, I was thinking about this the other day. Towards the beginning of the e3 2013 trailer, there's that camp omega scene where we see a prisoner being water boarded, then shot from behind. Given the location of the exit wound, it could be possible, although highly, HIGHLY unlikely, that it was chico. I mean the circumstances would involve the bullet missing his spine and sternum.

Also, regarding your MacDonald comment earlier, do you think kaz will drop his "peace" handle in favor of Mac at some point towards the end of the game given the descent into vengeance or do you think kojima could give fuck all about that?

Hmm, that is a thought (regarding Chico), but I'm leaning against it. As far as that scene is concerned, though, I have a feeling that they'll probably have some flash back to Camp Omega early on in the game. Perhaps the first thing we see. Maybe they'll show Amanda and the Sandinistas there. I mean, they were fighting in Cuba. That's how Chico was able to try and get to Paz.

I actually see a narrative reason the Kojima could use to give Kaz his Mac moniker. Dude's fuckin pissed. He's lost so much. What's he care about peace any more? Maybe he's so disillusioned with the idea of peace that he'd rather it not be his name any more.

nah, he'll just retcon "Kaz" as "it always was always will be his name"

I'm about to start a Metal Gear run. May God have mercy on my ears.

Palpable

When you guys add me, please be sure and mention your GAF name if it isn't obvious. I somehow get a lot of random ass people adding me so I don't want to overlook a gaffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom