• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

Oh man, I'm so excited to replay MGS 2. I just started MGS last night and didn't play it for long. I should be on the Tanker this time tomorrow

Rajang

Just done with some PW Coop.

Was alot of fun. :)

AI battles are very easy that way though, even the tougher ones go down in just a couple of minutes.

Just done with some PW Coop.

Was alot of fun. :)

AI battles are very easy that way though, even the tougher ones go down in just a couple of minutes.

Even solo, the later stages of the AI battles's difficulty isn't really about taking them down, but more of a self-imposed difficulty based on the ZEKE materials you want to grind for.

Skullface

small world. yeah, i'm right by fenway. where do you go?

Awesome. I had a buddy that lived over by there when he was going to Berkley. That's a happening part of town.

Edit: Bunker Hill in C-town. I'll be transferring over to UMass when I finish my associates.

Awesome. I had a buddy that lived over by there when he was going to Berkley. That's a happening part of town.

Edit: Bunker Hill in C-town. I'll be transferring over to UMass when I finish my associates.

good shit man, let me know you're going, we can represent MGS-GAF

B7CgtvOIQAE8MtE.jpg:large

Choomp

Banned
Jesus fuck. Was I always so terrible away MGS? I'm planning on playing 1- GZ again leading up to TPP and to get to the first elevator I died like 10 times, maybe I needa edit my post on the thread with the guy complaining about MGS 3 lol

Skullface

Jesus fuck. Was I always so terrible away MGS? I'm planning on playing 1- GZ again leading up to TPP and to get to the first elevator I died like 10 times, maybe I needa edit my post on the thread with the guy complaining about MGS 3 lol

Tell me, do you mean the very first elevator or the tank hangar elevator? I only ask because you're going to have a shit ton of issues if you're talking about the very first elevator. I'm replaying MGS1 myself, and I died at least 4-5 times once I reached the helipad. 4-5 more times trying to remember where everything is in the tank hangar. Just remember, you can snap necks. You just need to be still while you do it or you'll flip the guard over instead, almost inevitably triggering an alert when they stand up. This is your best move until you get the silencer for your socom.

Skullface

neck snap is your friend.

This is a prime example of why the "play in release order" method is the best way to go. I went from GZ to MG&MG2 to MGS. The original Metal Gears are 2D, so you pretty much know what you're getting into, especially if you've played them. But if MGS is your first 3d experience coming off of GZ, you're getting used to having to make do. I can't wait to beat this and move on to MGS2.

Man, the one thing I regret most about my time with MGS4 is the fact that I didn't take advantage of the game's "Camera" mode. I should have done a better job of taking pictures in MGO2. Fortunately, it's never too late to take some good screens of the main game! I was relieved to hear about MGSV having a selfie feature... Makes me hopeful for an in-game camera system ala TLOU:R or First Light. (Then again, PS4 has a share button and I can always hit F12 on Steam, so no worries either way!)

J.EM1

Speaking of MGS4. Anyone ever wonder why the FAMAS wasn't included in the weapons list. I mean that rifle was just as iconic as the Patriot and M1911.

Skullface

Speaking of MGS4. Anyone ever wonder why the FAMAS wasn't included in the weapons list. I mean that rifle was just as iconic as the Patriot and M1911.

Ignore the over all hilarity of this picture... When I was a kid, I always thought our bus seat's rails resembled a FAMAS.

0610_mbta-cuffs.jpg

Look familiar GreyOcelot?

Flunkie

Banned
Is there ANY way to get trophies on a legit PSP run if you transfer from a PSP to PS3? Guessing no but you never know. I don't want to start over to get trophies but I need to play PW with decent controls.

Is there ANY way to get trophies on a legit PSP run if you transfer from a PSP to PS3? Guessing no but you never know. I don't want to start over to get trophies but I need to play PW with decent controls.

as far as i know, you have to start on ps3 unfortunately

side-note: but.now.is.not.the.time. fuuuuuuuck kiefer is so great

Rajang

You cant get trophies if you transfer from PSP to PS3.

If you want to get trophies you have to start a new game.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

nope, it only works if the save originated on a ps3

JayEH

Popped in some PW to screw around a bit. Man, I've only scratched the surface on content in that game...

I don't think I'll ever finish everything in TPP.

Ryan_MSF

I wonder if I'm the only one who feels terrible at ground zeroes haha. I should probably rephrase, up to Chico i find it super easy, taking out guards with ease, soon as I get into the room with Paz on my way back to the chopper i suddenly lose my shit and end up a nervous wreck, getting caught left right and centre ):

Dawg

I would recommend watching a walkthrough. There's plenty on youtube and they have the fastest routes. I know what you mean with getting nervous once you get Paz. It's because the base goes into alert and enemies will actively track you.

You have to stay calm and make sure nobody sees you. Tranq enemies or drop Paz and get some stealth takedowns.

What I did was making sure nobody saw me inside the base and then I'd make sure I have a safe, straight path until these fences:

F923FA14E9A53D7E164FC18AE06C096428C2A9A3

There will be some enemies past this point but I just ran as fast as I could to the chopper and nobody saw me.

Chinner

Banned
I wonder if I'm the only one who feels terrible at ground zeroes haha. I should probably rephrase, up to Chico i find it super easy, taking out guards with ease, soon as I get into the room with Paz on my way back to the chopper i suddenly lose my shit and end up a nervous wreck, getting caught left right and centre ):

There's no right way to play Metal Gear and GZ is one of those games where there is a lot of headroom to become a skilled player. Generally with Paz I find a lot of her rescue is about forward planning; you need to decide where you're going to extract from and be aware of the guard's pattern change.

I would recommend watching a decent player on Twitch, or a speed run on youtube. Once you get an idea of what route works best for you then you can implement the preparations on your run.

Ryan_MSF

Cheers guys, appreciate it. I've never really had problems with other metal gears, maybe 4 when i was going for the BB emblem but obviously here the AI's massively improved so it adds to the tension somewhat. Ill have a look at that video and a few others, see if i can up my game somewhat!

Did I just read some MGR hate a page or two ago? Man y'all are fucked in the head if you think MGR is a shitty game because it's a god teir hack and slash game. I think it's one of the more successful endeavors for the franchise, a spin off that's a million times better than Ac!d for example.

Dawg

I bet MGR:R is the best selling title Platinum Games has made so far.

It's also my favourite PG game. I don't like Bayonetta though. And it's close with Vanquish.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Did I just read some MGR hate a page or two ago? Man y'all are fucked in the head if you think MGR is a shitty game because it's a god teir hack and slash game. I think it's one of the more successful endeavors for the franchise, a spin off that's a million times better than Ac!d for example.

"B-b-but Muuuuurm! Raiden's character a-and the plot a-a-and it's not Metal Gear a-a-and I wanted the K-K-Kojipro oooooone waaaaah!"

cartman-crying.gif

I bet MGR:R is the best selling title Platinum Games has made so far.

It's also my favourite PG game. I don't like Bayonetta though. And it's close with Vanquish.

You're missing out. Bayonetta 2 especially is like MGR on steroids and crack. The opening alone plays like a final level of some other game but here is the good part, it lives up and succeeds the opening all the way to the end.

Pinewood

Watched TGS gameplay and E3 gameplay yesterday - hnnnnnng, so good.
Now to watch Gamescom in HD (streamed it live in august actually, but was out of town with shit 3g connection, so lots of detail was lost).

Choomp

Banned
Tell me, do you mean the very first elevator or the tank hangar elevator? I only ask because you're going to have a shit ton of issues if you're talking about the very first elevator. I'm replaying MGS1 myself, and I died at least 4-5 times once I reached the helipad. 4-5 more times trying to remember where everything is in the tank hangar. Just remember, you can snap necks. You just need to be still while you do it or you'll flip the guard over instead, almost inevitably triggering an alert when they stand up. This is your best move until you get the silencer for your socom.

I was talking about the elevator when the game just starts. I was being a stubborn mofo and didn't really try avoiding the guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom