• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SliChillax

Just finished Ground Zeroes for the first time. I have also played MGS4 before but I don't really count it because I was really small when it came out and payed no attention whatsoever to the story. Now I have no idea what's going on in Ground Zeroes. Do the side missions offer any story content?

JayEH

Just finished Ground Zeroes for the first time. I have also played MGS4 before but I don't really count it because I was really small when it came out and payed no attention whatsoever to the story. Now I have no idea what's going on in Ground Zeroes. Do the side missions offer any story content?

Not really.

You should really play the other games in the series if you have the systems to do so. Go in release order, you'll probably have plenty of time to finish them before TPP comes out.

Not really, it just adds details about the camp. But you should play them!

Dawg

smokingshibeqljt6.jpg

I'm kinda worried about the internet once TPP releases. We're almost positively sure that it will include a massive surprise... so I don't want to be spoiled.

I'm really considering barely checking NeoGAF etc and just browsing some twitter the first few days. But yeah, I could get spoiled there too :>

Once we get a release date, I will avoid any new footage from that point on. But when the game goes Gold? I'm unplugging the Ethernet. Imagine the person who went on a media blackout for MGSV and read the Volgin thread? Now, imagine the spoilers when people actually have the game and aren't speculating based on action figures.

I always thought of GZ as more of an epilogue to PW than a prologue to TPP since TPP is telling a new story, but maybe my perception will change once the main game is out!

I think it serves excellently as both an epilogue to Peace Walker, and a prologue to Phantom Pain--a sort of segue between the two games. It succinctly caps off the story of Peace Walker, while setting up the new characters and motivations. I actually think it's a really efficient bit of storytelling, with even more depth available for those who choose to hunt for the extra tapes and diaries.

JayEH

It's weird that people complain that GZ is a sequel to PW since it was a PSP game. The game was rereleased on consoles over 3 years ago so there's your chance to play it. It's a lot better than Kingdom hearts in that respect which has had multiple canon entries on handheld consoles that are important to the story and have only recently become available on PS3.

Once we get a release date, I will avoid any new footage from that point on. But when the game goes Gold? I'm unplugging the Ethernet. Imagine the person who went on a media blackout for MGSV and read the Volgin thread? Now, imagine the spoilers when people actually have the game and aren't speculating based on action figures.

Yeah, my biggest clincher is the 'preload'. If the files are available, especially on PC, you know they will be mined and information will spread pretty quickly. I'll be off all social media at that point.

Furthermore, I heard this tape for the first time yesterday and surprised I didn't see it / don't remember, from when I got the 2nd ending in PW

Warning: Heavy PW spoiler and potential TPP spoiler?. If you've beaten PW and gotten the 2nd ending, you have probably heard this. However, it sort of had me a bit shocked at the implications for TPP, despite somewhat knowing Kaz's fate.

It's about Kaz and his knowledge, who he is speaking to and how it affects his relationship with Big Boss.

Here's the tape in question: http://youtu.be/9Cy7E76mBL0?t=3h9m9s

Is there somewhere to listen to this tape again in-game after you've completed Peace Walker?

Skullface

I think it serves excellently as both an epilogue to Peace Walker, and a prologue to Phantom Pain--a sort of segue between the two games. It succinctly caps off the story of Peace Walker, while setting up the new characters and motivations. I actually think it's a really efficient bit of storytelling, with even more depth available for those who choose to hunt for the extra tapes and diaries.

Well put. It also acclimated players to the new mechanics.

JayEH

Yeah, my biggest clincher is the 'preload'. If the files are available, especially on PC, you know they will be mined and information will spread pretty quickly. I'll be off all social media at that point.

Furthermore, I heard this tape for the first time yesterday and surprised I didn't see it / don't remember, from when I got the 2nd ending in PW

Warning: Heavy PW spoiler and potential TPP spoiler?. If you've beaten PW and gotten the 2nd ending, you have probably heard this. However, it sort of had me a bit shocked at the implications for TPP, despite somewhat knowing Kaz's fate.

It's about Kaz and his knowledge, who he is speaking to and how it affects his relationship with Big Boss.

Is there somewhere to listen to this tape again in-game after you've completed Peace Walker?

Yeah that's the tape I think most of us are referring to when we speculate on how Kaz and Big Boss will have a falling out. It's certainly very interesting. I wonder if Skullface finds out about Kaz's plans and tells Boss about it before Kaz has a chance himself to say something.

Skullface

Definitely. Camp Omega alone was pretty overwhelming my first run through, so I couldn't imagine being dropped off into a huge open world without playing GZ first.

I agree. Kojima himself said as much, but I think a good portion of the fan base took it as lip service to justify the separate releases. I for one think it was a good idea to break off a chunk for the masses the way they did.

Timeaisis

This is somewhat off topic, but Peace Walker is my least favorite of all MGS games (excluding ACID).

The story felt so...bolted on. I hope Kojima can pull something off the story of TPP well. It looks to be really exciting so far, but there is so much canon already it must be hard for him to say something new without re-hashing the past. PW suffered from this pretty hard, especially near the ending
with the Boss AI and all that bullshit

Kojima is a great designer and an excellent director, but his story design could use work sometimes. He definitely needs someone to consult with him on the writing portion. This is coming from someone who loved MGS4 to death, too, in all it's crazy retcon glory. So it's not like I hate the trademark silly shit, I love it in fact. PW just reached that point where it felt like Kojima did some George Lucas and wanted to tell more stories in his universe, just couldn't figure out where they'd fit. Hopefully, TPP has something more profound in mind (looks to be so). A story we've always wanted to hear, how BB became the leader of Outer Heaven and all that. Hopefully that's been rolling around in his brain long enough to make sense in the MGS universe.

Also, where the fuck is the game where BB rescues Eva from Hanoi? And where the fuck is EVA, anyway?

I won't be able to stop myself from going on here around release so I'll probably end up being spoiled so you'll all have to promise to not be dicks :mad:

I really have no idea how I wasn't spoiled for anything major in MGS4. I didn't play it till 2 months after it came out and I was on MGS forums regularly. Vamp being all nanomachines out was the only thing spoiled for me which is no big deal. Hopefully, I'll be lucky this time too since if TPP comes out in April or May, I probably won't be able to play it till exams are done :(

JayEH

Timeaisis, I'm pretty sure Kojima had help writing the story for TPP going off the Ground Zeroes credits. He might just need an extra writer to help with Codec/tapes but maybe they can help him out when he goes too off the rails.

The question remains who is Kaz talking to? I personally think that's gonna be a sad part of the game when big boss and kaz are no longer together ;_; Ohhhhhhh I've got something in my throat..I need to be alone..While I suffer.. and then kaz recruits Solid snake TPP fades to black...Nolan-esque ending.

Batzi

Banned
I won't be able to stop myself from going on here around release so I'll probably end up being spoiled so you'll all have to promise to not be dicks :mad:

I really have no idea how I wasn't spoiled for anything major in MGS4. I didn't play it till 2 months after it came out and I was on MGS forums regularly. Vamp being all nanomachines out was the only thing spoiled for me which is no big deal. Hopefully, I'll be lucky this time too since if TPP comes out in April or May, I probably won't be able to play it till exams are done :(
Unlike other gaming forums, NeoGAF takes this shit very very seriously. It's an instant permanent ban. Don't worry, mods here are always on top of things in case some idiot decides to spoil something just for the sake of it. Usually a big spoiler warning is included in the title and spoiler tags are used in posts if needed such as this one
I love you! Please be nice to me tonight.

Bottom line, don't worry.

It should be safe here.

Yeah! I agree. I think the side missions also hint at some of the things we should expect to see in The Phantom Pain -- like Glaz and Palitz. But you're right; GZ sets up TPP perfectly in terms of both story and gameplay.

Are Shibas smart?

This one isn't, but he makes up for it with his charm:

image.php

JayEH

What's going on with the dialogue at the beginning of the 2013 red band trailer? Is Miller talking about the future or the past/current?

much smart

I imagine he's talking about losing Mother base and then losing his limbs so he has a phantom pain in the literal and psychological sense.

Vally

I just listened to the 'Peace and Kazuhira Blues' tapes from the Japanese version of GZ and they're pretty cool, I wish they were included in the English version as well

Of course Skullface is responsible. What else would he mean by "The Trojan Horse is in"? The ONLY way Big Boss would join forces with Skullface is unwittingly. There's no other way he'd be able to rationalize partnering up with the same man who planted two bombs inside of Paz and used her as a Trojan Horse to kill him when he inevitably rescued her.

My point: Big Boss is completely oblivious to Skullface being the sole individual responsible for his 9 year coma. It's just a matter of time until he finds out.

yeah, i think that's what we're seeing in that scene. at some point BB and skullface are aligned...skullface probably offers some sort of cursory evidence that cipher may be behind the destruction of the original mother base and MSF. so zero is the supposed villain when the game begins, as evidenced by kaz's statements post-afghanistan rescue (start of e3 2013 trailer)

Yeah I think he did too. I still think that Skullface tells Bosu about the Mother Base attack but they decide to join forces to stop Zero. Then BB will double cross Skullface and join up with Zero since he needs to get back on his good side to lead Foxhound.

yeah, i think you're on the right track here. BB and skullface are aligned. BB discovers skullface is behind the GZ attack. BB and zero align to take out skullface. at some point BB decides he also needs to take about zero/cipher/patriots, but instead of taking them headon, he decides the "friends close, enemies closer" approach is better. he joins zero/cipher/patriots and creates foxhound all the while planning the new outer heaven, etc.

Yeah that's the tape I think most of us are referring to when we speculate on how Kaz and Big Boss will have a falling out. It's certainly very interesting. I wonder if Skullface finds out about Kaz's plans and tells Boss about it before Kaz has a chance himself to say something.

so, this is perhaps one of the more interesting aspects at play here, which leads me my next point

The story felt so...bolted on. I hope Kojima can pull something off the story of TPP well. It looks to be really exciting so far, but there is so much canon already it must be hard for him to say something new without re-hashing the past. PW suffered from this pretty hard, especially near the ending
with the Boss AI and all that bullshit
[snip]

this is why i think kojima won't be too beholden to a lot of the details from MG1 and 2. even if he's not going to jump forward to the 90s for this game and essentailly remake those games, i don't think he's going to try and shoe-horn all the details into TPP. i think the limited information provided about BB in MGS1 and beyond will be used as a guide, but i'm certain large chunks of mg1 and 2 will be retconned. will the game end with BB and kaz together starting foxhound?

it seems like the perfect way to set-up an MGS6, which would essentially have BB creating and recruiting soldiers for the US and foxhound, all the while creating and recruiting for outer heaven in secret. then we could have our SS taking on BB moment in there. no need to rush into that in TPP

this is why i think kojima won't be too beholden to a lot of the details from MG1 and 2. even if he's not going to jump forward to the 90s for this game and essentailly remake those games, i don't think he's going to try and shoe-horn all the details into TPP. i think the limited information provided about BB in MGS1 and beyond will be used as a guide, but i'm certain large chunks of mg1 and 2 will be retconned. will the game end with BB and kaz together starting foxhound?

it seems like the perfect way to set-up an MGS6, which would essentially have BB creating and recruiting soldiers for the US and foxhound, all the while creating and recruiting for outer heaven in secret. then we could have our SS taking on BB moment in there. no need to rush into that in TPP

TPP must end with a secret conversation or riot! amirite guys? we can't lose that tradition in MGS games.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Repeat after me: I WILL NEVER EVER CALL GRAY FOX, GREY FOX AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom