• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I'm watching the MG Retrospective on Gametrailers and watching the MGS1 video.
The info they're giving regarding the Twin Snakes cutscenes seems conflicting? I know Kojima didn't want to work on the Gamecube but did so in the end after Nintendo requested it. From what i recall reading he also didn't have much involvement in development. While the cutscene editor was known for doing more action oriented footage, the fact that he remade the cutscenes from MGS1 in Twin Snakes with Kojima giving the thumbs down on them doesn't sit well with me.
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-ep...l-gear-retrospective--the-complete-collection

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was just paging through the MGS2 intstruction manual (which is freaking great and the total polar opposite of that slip packed in with GZ) an it made me think. Did no one in the world take a glance at it before playing? I mean it basically spoils all but the plot I guess. Swimming? Sword? Chapters? Player Characters? Its all right there!

I was just paging through the MGS2 intstruction manual (which is freaking great and the total polar opposite of that slip packed in with GZ) an it made me think. Did no one in the world take a glance at it before playing? I mean it basically spoils all but the plot I guess. Swimming? Sword? Chapters? Player Characters? Its all right there!

Is that the sons of liberty version or substance?

Ya its the Sons of Liberty one. I dun got Substance, is that one any different? That one being a re-release I can't imagine they'd go outta there way to hide anything?

I was just guessing that you had the substance version where I'd assume they wouldn't hide anything. But if you have the sons of liberty version...I dunno why they would. My copy was used so I don't have the manual. It says you play as Raiden?

Tizoc

tumblr_lzqk8fNVmQ1qh40c9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m1erpyb6OA1ql3a4xo1_500.gif

Say are the Secret Theatre clips from the PS2 MGS3 available for viewing at good quality anywhere?

I plan to do a first time play through of MGS 1-4 (original versions and platforms) in the future, so I'll be checking back with this community.

I plan to do a first time play through of MGS 1-4 (original versions and platforms) in the future, so I'll be checking back with this community.

Awesome, I love hearing first timers impressions. I have to say though, there's really not much point in playing 2 and 3 on the PS2 vs their HD counterparts which are improved in every conceivable way.

G-Fex

I have no idea how to play MGS3. For some reason my stamina kept dropping fast. I had to use up all my food. It wasn't doing that earlier. I'm not hurt or anything, odd.

Betty

Banned
I have no idea how to play MGS3. For some reason my stamina kept dropping fast. I had to use up all my food. It wasn't doing that earlier. I'm not hurt or anything, odd.

You could have a leach attached to you, check the survival viewer just in case. It also drops heavily if you are in rainfall.

Great, just try and score a copy of Subsistence or just go the HD collection for 3, as the original camera is just the most outdated thing now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Are you sure you're not hurt? Check your HEAL submenu, you might have a leech.

G-Fex

I shoudl've checked for leeches. but nothing came up when I went into cure mode.

oh then I got shot by The End and put in jail

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was just guessing that you had the substance version where I'd assume they wouldn't hide anything. But if you have the sons of liberty version...I dunno why they would. My copy was used so I don't have the manual. It says you play as Raiden?
Yup right on page 6 even! Now that I think about itI didn't even own or play MGS2 until 2007 so I missed out on the whole "gigaton raiden reveal" thing people say was allegedly a thing. Starting ta think its all fabricated and people really did know back in 2001 what they were getting into... o.o

You're wearing Spider camouflage, aren't you? It gives you like a premanent 80% camo index but rapidly drains stamina. I did this like a month ago. Thought it was part of one of the boss fights, that I would constantly be on the hunt for food. It was not.

G-Fex

You're wearing Spider camouflage, aren't you? It gives you like a premanent 80% camo index but rapidly drains stamina. I did this like a month ago. Thought it was part of one of the boss fights, that I would constantly be on the hunt for food. It was not.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah I was wearing it, then I changed to another camo, then I died so when I reloaded it probably didn't take it off

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ohh yeah since I have the original MGS2 I guess there are no VR Missions? So much for trying to practice -_-! The opening with all that electricity shooting outta Snakes abit silly and overdone!

I started the tanker on Normal difficulty an got off to a great start being discovered and shot up by the second guard I encountered on the deck. I mean that woulda happened on Very Easy anyway but at least I'd have more health leftover! Then I was getting along okay, !'ing some peeps but knocking them out before full alert could start. Then I was trying to hold up a guy but he was a super soldier with flashy eyes and the quickness to knock me around before I could shoot! This isn't going so well nopenope not at all. How much longer until I cave in and restart on babby mode??

J-Roderton

Been going through Peace Walker and knocking out some Snake Tales and VR on MGS2. Can't stop playing this series. It's ridiculous. Can't stop trying to get more people for the Mother Base on PW. Not my fave in the series so far, but pretty damn good for a psp port.

Anyone with HD collection on 360 want to hop on for some Versus? I'd at least like to experience it. Too bad it's basically dead.

beastmode

Snake Eater

~Portable Ops (Snake Misses Shooting) [(LEFT revolver choice) Snake shoots a bullet that misses]
~Peace Walker (Ocelot Loses) [(LEFT revolver) Snake doesn't pull the trigger]
~Ground Zeroes (Snake Wins) [(LEFT revolver choice) Snake shoots a blank]
~Phantom Pain (Ocelot Wins) [(RIGHT revovlver choice) Ocelot shoots a blank]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70w9CJwTuM

JayEH

Don't pay attention to beastmode, he's been trolling in the Ground Zeroes Spoilers Thread and looks like he's making his way here now.

malfcn

Finally got in a perfect normal run in and got an S. The only thing that could have gone better would be the helicopter but getting spotted. Last time they didn't.. Maybe it was one tower I didn't put down.

50:46.226
7 prisoner rescued
0 retry / reflex
S

Next will be hard and other missions.
Stealth is not normally my strength so it's taken awhile to get this route down. Normally I mess up or random happens.

JayEH

Finally "beat" Peace Walker. I liked the story and the base stuff mostly. Also thought the main gameplay wasn't but those freaking boss fights are horrible.

I don't think I'll go for the secret ending right now just because that last boss fight with Peace Walker was so frustrating lol. I'm on to MGS2 now, it's been like 5 years since I last played it so I hope I'm not too rusty.

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
I've been playing a lot of MGSV:GZ and I'm still having a blast. Below I made a small list of ideas I got while playing the game:

Some gameplay mechanics that could be tweaked/improved:

• When in prone position and near an edge you should be able to jump down or go into the hanging position without first going in the crouching or standing up stance.
  • The rocket launcher has a tendency to hit stuff that is clearly not in its path when shooting from first person view.
  • The vehicle physics are a bit weird. When letting go of the gas all vehicles seem to almost immediately slow down and stop where I would expect them to roll.
  • Being able to see a stats screen of the current playthrough... this way you can be sure if you haven't accidentally been spotted or something like that when going for the special playthroughs.

Some random thoughts:
  • When you are going to place vehicles in the environment... let me use them! So placing a static forklift in the base is stupid.
  • I miss the knocking wall mechanic and being able to hide people in containers :(
  • It would be cool if putting on a silencer and other weapon modifications would be animated. If it would cost some time it would also be a tactical decision.
  • There should be a more tactical way to open doors. It seems a bit wild slamming open a door when playing stealthy now.

Then my final idea for MGSV;GZ and MGSV:FP : being able to look at a replay of the mission and making videos in the game in general. I've encountered so many unique and incredible situation that I just want to be able to show them to other people. Creating your own MGS movie within the new Fox Engine would be very cool!

What do you guys think?

Grisby

Man, Ground Zeroes has gotten me so excited for TPP. Not really because of the story or anything mind you, but the game part. I feel like I've gotten back on the Metal Gear train and am contemplating buying a used copy of MGS4 for another go around (never did play it with the trophies).

I'm actually about halfway through Peace Walker right now, a game I never tried despite liking MGS and the PSP. The controls are wonky but I'm having an alright time and am enjoying all of the Ground Zeros story stuff I didn't fully know. Jesus, though Hayter's voice is really raw and not in a good way. Sounds like he is struggling at points in Peace Walker.

I really like that artist's work especially this MGS3 piece.
ZU3JA.png

JayEH

I agree with the vehicles stuff. Handling always felt weird to me. It annoys me that you get spotted so fast in a covered vehicle. In hard mode, you basically spotted right away. It makes no sense. I guess they don't want to make it overpowered.

As far as the movie stuff, I doubt we'll see anything like that in a console version. In 2016, when the PC version comes out (an assumption), we'll definitely see people do something with camera work.

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
I agree with the vehicles stuff. Handling always felt weird to me. It annoys me that you get spotted so fast in a covered vehicle. In hard mode, you basically spotted right away. It makes no sense. I guess they don't want to make it overpowered.

As far as the movie stuff, I doubt we'll see anything like that in a console version. In 2016, when the PC version comes out (an assumption), we'll definitely see people do something with camera work.

Yeah getting spotted in the APC annoys me a lot. And it also seems to only check proximity to guards and driving people over. On normal you can drive like a complete retard, jumping of a bridge, racing all over the base and nobody will ring a alarm... just keep your distance.

malfcn

Some of the AI is a bit off.

Go to Admin. Tranq guard near power supply.
Cut the power.

Another guard will do 2 things:
Run past the sleeping guard, attending to the power
Stop and attend to the sleeping guard, forget about the power.

SJRB

Gold Member
The power station is AI exploit at its finest.

- Turn it off
- Soldier comes running and turns it back on
- Tranq soldier, drag him away
- Turn power off again
- Another soldier comes running

Rinse and repeat. I think there should be an alert treshhold that makes the base go on full alert after the power gets cut more than two times. I think the game nails dynamic AI for the most part, but some of it is remarkably game-y.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
After dying to Olga 3 times I pressed on to that one hallway firefight and just gave up after dying like 5 times. Time ta restart Very Easy mode!

malfcn

The power station is AI exploit at its finest.

- Turn it off
- Soldier comes running and turns it back on
- Tranq soldier, drag him away
- Turn power off again
- Another soldier comes running

Rinse and repeat. I think there should be an alert treshhold that makes the base go on full alert after the power gets cut more than two times. I think the game nails dynamic AI for the most part, but some of it is remarkably game-y.

Same thoughts here. I cut it and people were running across the entire base to check it out. Maybe it happens all the time. :p

"Welp, there goes the power...again."
That's why the panel is open. They are always repairing it.

JayEH

And just beat Rising, it was fun but could get very frustrating especially for me. I suck at character action games.

NateDog

To me Metal Gear Solid had the best OST, but MGS2's is top quality too. I really wish Hibino got another chance to work on an OST, his stuff was so different.

Icefire1424

Finally "beat" Peace Walker. I liked the story and the base stuff mostly. Also thought the main gameplay wasn't but those freaking boss fights are horrible.

I don't think I'll go for the secret ending right now just because that last boss fight with Peace Walker was so frustrating lol. I'm on to MGS2 now, it's been like 5 years since I last played it so I hope I'm not too rusty.

Worth going back for the full completion of PW. The fight against Peace Walker was by far the most difficult, the last one wasn't bad by comparison - to the point that I was able to complete it having not played in almost 2 years in about 17 minutes (PW fight took me almost 45 I think). There are a few "additional variables" in the fight that make it a bit simpler. Just need to get the hang of one of the mechanics involved.

PW Final Battle Spoilers / Strategy:

During the fight with Zeke, base artillery and catapults become available for the fight, both activated by switches on the platform. To use the artillery, hit the switch and press up against a hard surface, then press L1 to "Target" Zeke. You have about 30 seconds to target once the switch is hit, and it's most effective when Zeke jumps over to the other platform, as more of the rockets tend to hit. After a few volleys, Zeke will start attacking the turrets which will take them out of commission for a while, but leaves it open for attack. The recoilless rifle is particularly effective as Zeke is pretty far away at times, and the round gets to the target quickly.

The catapult works the same as the supply marker. Activating it drops more ammunition and rations onto the platform.

Most of Zeke's attacks are easy to dodge, keep moving to avoid the missiles, and take cover behind the exhaust panels for the railgun. Be advised though, I was hit a few times by the railgun when pressed up against a wall, so that one isn't foolproof. Just be careful when Zeke "charges", as it can knock you out and leave you vulnerable. I was able to avoid by staying closer to the outside of the platform.

Oh, and don't forget AT mines, they work surprisingly well. Set when Zeke jumps to the other platform.

Good luck!

Rigalo

I got the Legacy edition about a month ago and I'm currently playing through MGS1. I'm actually really enjoying it! The story is interesting g and the gameplay is... Not that bad. I'm crazy interested in seeing how the rest of the series plays!

Rannta

Banned
Which is exactly why I was happy he was replaced in V.
Well, Kiefer didn't do the best VA ever. To tell the truth, I'm dissapointed with his performance. Hayter work in mgs4 and pw wasn't perfect and i was "comfotable" with the change. Now, i miss hayter.

Ser Goje

How could I have missed this thread? Just subscribed !

Well, Kiefer didn't do the best VA ever. To tell the truth, I'm dissapointed with his performance. Hayter work in mgs4 and pw wasn't perfect and i was "comfotable" with the change. Now, i miss hayter.

I think we all wanted this change, no one wanted to admit it. I really didn't like the changes in PW. As much as I hate saying it, but Kiefer Sutherland is doing a really good job on TPP, and I'm sure he's gonna do great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom