• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, didn't Snake never meet Big Boss until he was an adult?

And I think Kojima has gone out of his way to make MGSV a lot less fan-servicey than MGS4, and I'm not sure how him meeting young Solid would be anything other than fan service (not that it's impossible to incorporate him into the narrative). But with liquid, it makes sense geographically, and him being a dick to Liquid would probably serve as good character development for both characters.

While I know he said that he's trying to make the games less fanservicey, I doubt this is going to happen to the extent that you think. The Phantom Pain, as it stands now, is... hard to understand for casual MGS fans that have only played the first few games in the series (talking about: MGS 1/2/3/4). A lot of people skipped Peace Walker, and because of that they have no idea what is going on in Ground Zeroes & the Phantom Pain. Adding Solid Snake to the mix will make casual fans of the series hype the game more and therefore add to it's popularity, plus it makes sense... Solid Snake is alive during TPP, and Hideo Kojima has said that he's going to retcon some things in the canon (here).

While I know he said that he's trying to make the games less fanservicey, I doubt this is going to happen to the extent that you think. The Phantom Pain, as it stands now, is... hard to understand for casual MGS fans that have only played the first few games in the series (talking about: MGS 1/2/3/4). A lot of people skipped Peace Walker, and because of that they have no idea what is going on in Ground Zeroes & the Phantom Pain. Adding Solid Snake to the mix will make casual fans of the series hype the game more and therefore add to it's popularity, plus it makes sense... Solid Snake is alive during TPP, and Hideo Kojima has said that he's going to retcon some things in the canon (here).

It's not that I don't want a young Solid Snake to be in the game, and he very well might be, I just wouldn't be surprised if he isn't. Although, maybe that's just because I remember the hype around 4 and how pretty much every single theory about the game turned out not to be true, so I expect the same thing with this game.

It's not that I don't want a young Solid Snake to be in the game, and he very well might be, I just wouldn't be surprised if he isn't. Although, maybe that's just because I remember the hype around 4 and how pretty much every single theory about the game turned out not to be true, so I expect the same thing with this game.

That's one of the reasons I love the Metal Gear series. :p

malfcn

Do choked out guards stay out forever? I've been tranquing them, kicking them and then choking them to be sure. When I go to pick them up, the choke button flashing for a second. Is there a way to hit that button or make the process quicker?

Do choked out guards stay out forever? I've been tranquing them, kicking them and then choking them to be sure. When I go to pick them up, the choke button flashing for a second. Is there a way to hit that button or make the process quicker?

No, they should have stars around their heads. When those stars vanish they will wake up. Kicking them should wake them up faster.

Another method is tricking a guard into following you toward a knocked out person, which will trigger them to wake up them... but this will cause a caution state, or at worst an alert.

The 4 hit CQC combo knocks them out the longest (and then tranquing or slamming them into a wall I believe) but the only way to make them stay down forever is to either hold them up and make them lie down (they'll only get up if another guard finds them) or killing them. Chocking them out knocks them out for the shortest amount of time.

Then, why do some guards stay knocked out or sleeping forever, and others wake up on their own?

I don't know. This was never a problem for me. All knocked out guards should wake up eventually unless they're dead or, like the previous poster said, held up and lying on the ground.

malfcn

That mechanic always felt silly to me. "Lay down!" And they never move after that.
And the game has a different flavor each time you play, especially with routes. The first time I heard guards talking about a prisoner being executed. Never have heard that before, I know it's an achievement but you have to be a bit in the right place and time I suppose.

That mechanic always felt silly to me. "Lay down!" And they never move after that.
And the game has a different flavor each time you play, especially with routes. The first time I heard guards talking about a prisoner being executed. Never have heard that before, I know it's an achievement but you have to be a bit in the right place and time I suppose.

Yeah, it's silly, but eh it's metal gear. MGS is always silly.

Yeah there are so many little things you notice in each plathrough in GZ, or different ways you can beat the missions. It's amazing.

Yeah there are so many little things you notice in each plathrough in GZ, or different ways you can beat the missions. It's amazing.

Especially when you compare it to previous entries in the Metal Gear franchise. I've been playing Portable Ops (actually I beat it a few days ago, now I'm trying to master Portable Ops Plus), so going from that to Ground Zeroes just emphasizes how much the series has changed with this release. I feel like people who complain about the price versus the length of the game just don't grasp all the reasons why GZ deserves it's $30 price point. It was well worth the money, and the sheer number of ways you can get things done just sweetens the deal. Never has a Metal Gear game given you so much freedom of choice, it's amazing.

Especially when you compare it to previous entries in the Metal Gear franchise. I've been playing Portable Ops (actually I beat it a few days ago, now I'm trying to master Portable Ops Plus), so going from that to Ground Zeroes just emphasizes how much the series has changed with this release. I feel like people who complain about the price versus the length of the game just don't grasp all the reasons why GZ deserves it's $30 price point. It was well worth the money, and the sheer number of ways you can get things done just sweetens the deal. Never has a Metal Gear game given you so much freedom of choice, it's amazing.

Yeah, it's incredible. I've already out 9 and a half hours into it and could see myself playing it for 9 and a half more. I didn't really take Kojima seriously when he said TPP might be too big for players to finish....but shit, it's going to be immense and have even more little details, things to play around with, and reasons to replay. It's kind of blowing my mind to think about it...

JayEH

Yeah, it's incredible. I've already out 9 and a half hours into it and could see myself playing it for 9 and a half more. I didn't really take Kojima seriously when he said TPP might be too big for players to finish....but shit, it's going to be immense and have even more little details, things to play around with, and reasons to replay. It's kind of blowing my mind to think about it...

I've put probably over 30... Definitely worth the price for me. It's kinda sad that nothing else has come out this year that has had me preoccupied more than GZ.

I've put probably over 30... Definitely worth the price for me. It's kinda sad that nothing else has come out this year that has had me preoccupied more than GZ.

Yeah but next year you will have TPP which could conceivably give you enough gameplay to last you a lifetime!

R-User!

The 4 hit CQC combo knocks them out the longest (and then tranquing or slamming them into a wall I believe) but the only way to make them stay down forever is to either hold them up and make them lie down (they'll only get up if another guard finds them) or killing them. Chocking them out knocks them out for the shortest amount of time.

Yes!

So everyone, listen up!

1. Tranq Guard
2. Carry Guard to ammo room
3. Kick Guard and hold them up
4. Repeat until all Guards are "held up" (if you have enough ammo).
5. Complete your mission Snake!

Batzi

Banned
That patch was not enough :( I want more!!!

10265593_10202908010355513_4735105928679360783_o.jpg

On a side note, after spending so much time looking at the Ground Zeroes main menu, I have to say Big Boss's sneaking suit might be my favorite (alongside MGS2 Snake's outfit). I love the gold bands and the lacing on the arms and legs.

nillapuddin

I know I'm lttp on this one, but as an Xbox owner I just played deja vu for the first time today.

... Surprisingly, mixed reactions.

The lack of a cool intro video sequence really seems weird after getting one for jaimus vu.

The objectives themselves, although my nostalgic senses were firing on ask cylinders, it was a bit more shallow than I would have liked.

Honestly, the best part of the entire mission, was the end quiz, the majority of them are gimme's for diehards, bit I was so pleased with myself for remembering. Great fan service.

Is this the consensus or am I alone?

valkyre

I know I'm lttp on this one, but as an Xbox owner I just played deja vu for the first time today.

... Surprisingly, mixed reactions.

The lack of a cool intro video sequence really seems weird after getting one for jaimus vu.

The objectives themselves, although my nostalgic senses were firing on ask cylinders, it was a bit more shallow than I would have liked.

Honestly, the best part of the entire mission, was the end quiz, the majority of them are gimme's for diehards, bit I was so pleased with myself for remembering. Great fan service.

Is this the consensus or am I alone?

Compared to that joke of a mission called Jamais Vu, Deja Vu is a masterpiece :p

Its ok not to like it though or to find it below par, I personally found it was incredible and had lots of depth into it. A lot of things to see, tons of easter eggs etc. Love it.

J-Roderton

Getting pretty far into Snake Eater and it feels kinda dirty to be using the 3d camera, but damn if it's not convienient to be able to move that camera around. Killed the old sniper guy last night. Almost broke out a guide but managed to find him and take him out pretty easy. Did not feel bad after. Ended up chasing him after a shot or two and got into a fist fight. Cool boss fight. Easily my fave part of these games is the bosses. Like throwing rotten food at the Fear. Shit is too cool.

Couple things bugging the hell out of me:

1. Do those stupid arrows that the Fear put in me ever go away? WTF
2. I'm moving up the mountain to meet up with EVA and my stamina keeps dropping way fast. Does what type of food affect how long your stamina stays up? I'm having no problem filling it up, but it lasts no time.

Getting pretty far into Snake Eater and it feels kinda dirty to be using the 3d camera, but damn if it's not convienient to be able to move that camera around. Killed the old sniper guy last night. Almost broke out a guide but managed to find him and take him out pretty easy. Did not feel bad after. Ended up chasing him after a shot or two and got into a fist fight. Cool boss fight. Easily my fave part of these games is the bosses. Like throwing rotten food at the Fear. Shit is too cool.

Couple things bugging the hell out of me:

1. Do those stupid arrows that the Fear put in me ever go away? WTF
2. I'm moving up the mountain to meet up with EVA and my stamina keeps dropping way fast. Does what type of food affect how long your stamina stays up? I'm having no problem filling it up, but it lasts no time.

Yeah The End is my favorite Metal Gear boss fight. Sooo good.

1. Yes, you have to open the cure menu and remove them.
2. If you remove the Fear's arrow (or if you got shot by the End you have to remove his bullets) your stamina shouldn't drop too fast. Also, your stamina drops faster depending how much weight you are carrying, so only equip the items and weapons from your backpack that you need.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
If young Solid Snake is in the game (which he might be, but I don't think he will be) I doubt Kojima would spoil that in a trailer.

The trailer will no doubt be awesome though. He really outdid himself with the "not your kind of people" and Red Band trailers.

Oh Solid Snake will be in the game 100% sure. He kind of teased him in an interview with CVG.

2014-05-0500_51_23-inhwao0.png

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/414360/interviews/e3-interview-kojima-on-mgs-5/

First he showed young Liquid (Eli) in the red band trailer and now i think we'll see young Solid.

Sn4ke_911

Well I don't know if that's 100% confirmation, it does sound likely. Cool. I really have no idea what's gonna go down in TPP.

Just read between the lines dude, it's very clear since Liquid is also in the game, would make no sense to not have Solid in it.

Also here is my theory:

Solid Snake will be voiced by David Hayter. (not the young one) Later we will play as Solid Snake and fight against Big Boss (Kiefer Sutherland). The reason why they let Hayter in the dark for Ground Zeroes is because The Phantom Pain won't come out for a while so there is no need to tell him just yet.

Solid Snake against Big Boss would be pretty stupid to have the same VA so yeah...

R-User!

I still think someone else will voice Solid Snake if he's in the game.

I wouldn't put it past David Hayter being in on the ruse. IOW, I could see him reprising his role as Solid Snake; assuming that they made sure that he could do a younger Pre-MGS1 Snake.

If he can it would make sense to use him because the fans would be ecstatic during the reveal...

JayEH

I wouldn't put it past David Hayter being in on the ruse. IOW, I could see him reprising his role as Solid Snake; assuming that they made sure that he could do a younger Pre-MGS1 Snake.

If he can it would make sense to use him because the fans would be ecstatic during the reveal...

I just think Kojima will use the excuse that Hayter sounds too old to play a young Snake. We'll get... Jonah Hill or something :p

nillapuddin

Compared to that joke of a mission called Jamais Vu, Deja Vu is a masterpiece :p

Its ok not to like it though or to find it below par, I personally found it was incredible and had lots of depth into it. A lot of things to see, tons of easter eggs etc. Love it.

Honestly, Could you explain why you think Jamais is a joke?

I criticized Deja for not having a intro video, with some voice work explaining the mission and stuff, youre just instantly on the cliff and they throw a ton of flashbacks at you.

The whole Snatchers mission has a theme to it and there was a dynamic aspect to it, with the reinforcement sections.

I feel like in Deja Vu they are kinda solely relying on the player to create the narrative, and really unless you are a huge hardcore MGS fan, Im not sure you would care.

Like I said, I felt the quiz is the best part of the mission. I enjoyed Deja, but I would have liked it better if there was an out of left field Kojima-y reason for why you had to do all of it

I liked both Jamais Vu and Deja Vu. Neither were very meaty or challenging missions, but both were filled to the brim with Easter-eggs, humor, and creativity. There designation as 'extra-ops' is perfect, because they're just fun little extras for the fans. I hope TPP has more of them, as they brought a good sense of levity to an otherwise very dark game (besides the great operative rescue side-op).

Overall I liked Deja Vu more though because I felt it had more clever throw backs than Jamais, which outside of its fun premise, ended up playing like an easier version of a side-op.

Sn4ke_911

Eli is? Confirmed or rumor.
I heard some other rumors about characters.

I have absolutely no doubt this is Liquid.

MetalGearSolidV02_zps1f6c754d.jpg

"A Youth who Curses his Fate"

I mean come on. and since he is in Solid MUST be too.

ELI-LIQUID-edit.jpg

mgsv_theory___eli_and_liquid_by_raphsieg007-d6r4zoj.png

Batzi

Banned
Oh Solid Snake will be in the game 100% sure. He kind of teased him in an interview with CVG.

2014-05-0500_51_23-inhwao0.png

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/414360/interviews/e3-interview-kojima-on-mgs-5/

First he showed young Liquid (Eli) in the red band trailer and now i think we'll see young Solid.

David will be in TPP that's 100% sure. I'm saying David because he is still 12 years old in 1984 and that wouldn't make him the soldier we know now as Solid Snake yet. The only way we're going to see Solid Snake is if TPP will have several time periods other than 1984. I am still curious about the "secret confidential project" that Kojima teased months ago. For some reason I think that project is an "Epilogue" to TPP. Let's wait and see.

No it's not. Don't present assumptions as facts.

Haha I know, people keep taking Kojima's coy hints or their own theories and saying blah blah will be in TPP 100% confirmed.

That's not how it works. If Kojima says Solid will be in TPP then it's confirmed.

Batzi

Banned
No it's not. Don't present assumptions as facts.

Haha I know, people keep taking Kojima's coy hints or their own theories and saying blah blah will be in TPP 100% confirmed.

That's not how it works. If Kojima says Solid will be in TPP then it's confirmed.

As Sn4ke_911 said, read between the lines. Kojima kind of confirmed it and it's obvious. We just don't know in what form and under which circumstances he will appear in.

J-Roderton

Currently playing MGS3 and it's just the best thing.

Right!?

Just finished this morning. So fucking good. Best boss fights so far. So satisfying killing The Boss at the end. Couldn't stand her, but thought Ocelot was a badass. Dunno why. Probably the singe action pistols and how he talks with his hands. ha

Probably going to play through again, but for now it's on to Peace Walker tonight. Played 5 minutes on PSP and couldn't take the controls. Hopefully HD on 360 pans out a little better for me. Then I can finally get on with Ground Zeroes. And too bad 4 is only on PS3. I'll probably never get to play through it. :(

As Sn4ke_911 said, read between the lines. Kojima kind of confirmed it and it's obvious. We just don't know in what form and under which circumstances he will appear in.

Reading between the lines by its very definition isn't a confirmation...
Sure, it sounds very likely, but it's still an assumption. For all we know he could be planning something totally different to what we expect. He didn't confirm anything, in fact he specifically said he can't confirm it.

He said "I don't even know if Solid Snake will be in this game. If we said something, it would be a spoiler". That is a far cry from 'Solid Snake will be in this game'. For all we know there could be a character that we think will is Solid but turns out not to be him, or he's hinted at in the game but never shown...or literally anything else because that's not a confirmation. It's just likely that there could be something in the game that pertains to Solid Snake.

R-User!

David will be in TPP that's 100% sure. I'm saying David because he is still 12 years old in 1984 and that wouldn't make him the soldier we know now as Solid Snake yet. The only way we're going to see Solid Snake is if TPP will have several time periods other than 1984. I am still curious about the "secret confidential project" that Kojima teased months ago. For some reason I think that project is an "Epilogue" to TPP. Let's wait and see.

I can just see the very beginning of Metal Gear being redone in full 3D glory; like when
in MGS4 Shadow Moses shows up!!!
But in this case we get a tease for the remake of Metal Gear as the "cliffhanger" ending after The Phantom Pain's credits...!

-Metal Gear Remake-
---COMING IN 20XX---

The "XX" is a double meaning: unknown specific release date; time when 'paths are crossed' (i.e.
Solid vs Big Boss

!

Rojo

Eli most likely is liquid in MGS1 doesn't liquid go on a rant about how he was raised by big boss and he treated him like shit. Im sure TPP will be a liquid story just as much as a big boss one. Lil Liquid child soilder playable, murder your way through the SP and online as everyone's favorite british soilder BELIEVE BROOOOOTTTTTHHHHEEEERRRR.

Eli most likely is liquid in MGS1 doesn't liquid go on a rant about how he was raised by big boss and he treated him like shit. Im sure TPP will be a liquid story just as much as a big boss one. Lil Liquid child soilder playable, murder your way through the SP and online as everyone's favorite british soilder BELIEVE BROOOOOTTTTTHHHHEEEERRRR.

While I doubt we'd play as him (at least in single player) I'm guessing the game will explore Liquid's relationship with Big Boss, which is pretty interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom