• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenericUser

I picked up the HD Collection that was on sale a few weeks ago and finally had the chance to replay MGS3 in glorious HD and 60 fps.
Now that I'm an old fuck I got the impression that I was able to grasp the story and the overall game experience much better. Believeable characters and the setting is what makes snake eater the best MGS in my opinion (only with a very very slight edge over MGS1 on the Playstation).

But then I made a huge mistake. I started Peace Walker HD and that game sucks. I don't know where the praise comes from. Some even refer to it as Metal Gear Solid 5 which is as far from the truth as you can get. The graphics are bad, the gameplay feels crippled compared to MGS3 and the Story is a clusterfuck and in my opinion completely uninteresting.

I also started to play MGS2 again and that game also held up way worse then I thought it would. Camera from above feels ... dated at best. Story is uninteresting and you can clearly tell that this game was designed as the successor of MGS1 as it mimics so many parts of that game. I know it's part of the story, but in my opinion this makes the game less memorable and unique. I'm not even at the part where it becomes a complete clusterfuck (patriots, nanomachines, la-le-lu-le-lo etc.) yet it already bores me. Also raiden sucks. He sucks pretty bad actually. I didn't mind him back in 2001(?), but now in 2014 I just wanna be Snake - he is a legendary soldier and a hero and I wanna be just that in a Videogame.

So overall, I would have been better off by just buying snake eater hd.

co1onel

The cause of all of MGS's problems

8S2Wt.png

Tizoc

Agreed. At least he's taking his time with Big Boss' story.

That reminds me, was the 'tie everything from the past 3 together' thing a decision from him or Konami? Cuz I found it to be forced and unneeded to have the supporting cast of MGS3 become the Patriots.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
MAYBE you shouldn't have tried to wrap everything up in MGS4? ;)

blame it on his fucking team, if Kojima had the last word the story would have been much better and Solid Snake would have died in the end but no he listened to his other staff members which was a complete mistake.

Ishida

Banned
blame it on his fucking team, if Kojima had the last word the story would have been much better and Solid Snake would have died in the end but no he listened to his other staff members which was a complete mistake.

Thank God he didn't go with his original plan.

DevilFox

I'd like your opinion on two topics..

First, what do you think about the influence of Tomokazu Fukushima on MGS plot?
For those of you who don't know this guy, he's the writer of MGS, MGS2, MGS3, Ghost Babel together with Kojima.
Shortly, I can't help but notice how things fall apart after he left. THIS article is a good read to explain my point of view. All the anti-americanism, the mistery and charm that have marked MGS as we know it, all of this disappeared together with Fukushima. I also notice a drop in quality and consistency but that's another thing.
I'd like to know where Kojima's touch starts and where it ends.

Second, and this is about Ground Zeroes.. how do you feel about Mother Base's destruction told by cutscene rather than gameplay?
He has often talked about gaming and its maturity recently.. but what does this even mean to him? To amputate people, to [GZ spoiler]
blow them up? Maybe """talking""" about rape
? Honestly, I was quite disappointed when he destroyed the Mother Base in a 4 minutes cutscene, how stupid. We spent an entire game to build it, a mature game would have left me play that part, feeling close to Snake while he sees his comrades dying and his dream falling apart.. but hell no, let's do a cutscene and the player be a witness.
A medium is mature when it uses all its exclusive tools available. Like cinema learned direction, in videogame there's something called gameplay, it can be used to tell a story and he knows this because he did it before but the more time passes, the more I doubt he remembers (or maybe it has to do with Fukushima, I don't know).
Sticking to cutscenes, today, feels prehistoric and limiting. I don't believe in gaming maturity as a mere matter of content or themes.. no, I believe it's about narrative, how you tell things and not what you tell. Or should I say, the latter alone means very little without the first.
I just hope it will be an isolated case as I'm not going to enjoy hours of cutscenes again, times have changed and the medium has really matured, contrary to what he says.

Sn4ke_911

Thank God he didn't go with his original plan.

Why not? Solid Snake's story is pretty much over, i mean a sequel after MGS4 would be pretty stupid, he is old and pretty much done. Just let this legendary hero die. I just don't see how they could continue his story after MGS4. They can still make Solid Snake games but it must be prequels.

Seriously, Kojima's previous vision would have been so much better.

Betty

Banned
What the hell was "Kojima's previous vision" and where can I read about it?

Otacon and Snake were to be captured, tried at the UN for crimes against humanity and subsequently hanged. The song, here's to you, was meant to be a reflection of a similar event where two innocent men were executed for crimes they didn't commit.

As powerful as that would have been though, I prefer Snake living, it's a more hopeful, uplifting end.

JayEH

That reminds me, was the 'tie everything from the past 3 together' thing a decision from him or Konami? Cuz I found it to be forced and unneeded to have the supporting cast of MGS3 become the Patriots.

I think he was really hoping that he'd be done with MGS after 4.

I think the original ending would've been more fitting, as it is consistent with MGS2 and Snake's newfound status as a terrorist, and how he and Otacon basically dismantle an entire government system on their own in 4, and the game basically built up his inevitable demise. It would have proven Snake right, that he was not a legendary hero, but he preferred it that way.

Whoever it was, I feel like it was a decision based on the overwhelming love MGS3 got.

Sn4ke_911

Otacon and Snake were to be captured, tried at the UN for crimes against humanity and subsequently hanged. The song, here's to you, was meant to be a reflection of a similar event where two innocent men were executed for crimes they didn't commit.

As powerful as that would have been though, I prefer Snake living, it's a more hopeful, uplifting end.

Do you have a source for this? because all i remember is that he wanted to kill Solid Snake in MGS4 and not how. I've heard about that "The song, here's to you, was meant to be a reflection of a similar event where two innocent men were executed for crimes they didn't commit." but was it really meant for MGS4?

This is the only quote i can find about it:

“In Guns Of The Patriots he was supposed to die, but everyone on the staff really wanted to keep him alive, so I caved a little."

http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...d-to-end-it-at-every-step-along-the-way/#null

Ishida

Banned
Why not? Solid Snake's story is pretty much over, i mean a sequel after MGS4 would be pretty stupid, he is old and pretty much done. Just let this legendary hero die. I just don't see how they could continue his story after MGS4. They can still make Solid Snake games but it must be prequels.

Seriously, Kojima's previous vision would have been so much better.

He is pretty much dead anyways. Kojima's original vision about Snake and Otacon being killed by a firing squad would've been terrible. Snake deserved to live the rest of his short life in peace, outside of war.

MGS4's ending was fantastic.

Marvel

could never
As much as I love Solid Snake, Kojima's original vision for him dying made more sense. I would have been fine with it.

abrack08

Do you have a source for this? because all i remember is that he wanted to kill Solid Snake in MGS4 and not how. I've heard about that "The song, here's to you, was meant to be a reflection of a similar event where two innocent men were executed for crimes they didn't commit." but was it really meant for MGS4?

This is the only quote i can find about it:

http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...d-to-end-it-at-every-step-along-the-way/#null

I couldn't find one either. It's mentioned in the wiki (http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Hal_Emmerich) but... [citation needed]
I've seen several people reference this ending but I've never seen a quote or leak or anything

Sn4ke_911

Second, and this is about Ground Zeroes.. how do you feel about Mother Base's destruction told by cutscene rather than gameplay?
He has often talked about gaming and its maturity recently.. but what does this even mean to him? To amputate people, to [GZ spoiler]
blow them up? Maybe """talking""" about rape
? Honestly, I was quite disappointed when he destroyed the Mother Base in a 4 minutes cutscene, how stupid. We spent an entire game to build it, a mature game would have left me play that part, feeling close to Snake while he sees his comrades dying and his dream falling apart.. but hell no, let's do a cutscene and the player be a witness.
A medium is mature when it uses all its exclusive tools available. Like cinema learned direction, in videogame there's something called gameplay, it can be used to tell a story and he knows this because he did it before but the more time passes, the more I doubt he remembers (or maybe it has to do with Fukushima, I don't know).
Sticking to cutscenes, today, feels prehistoric and limiting. I don't believe in gaming maturity as a mere matter of content or themes.. no, I believe it's about narrative, how you tell things and not what you tell. Or should I say, the latter alone means very little without the first.
I just hope it will be an isolated case as I'm not going to enjoy hours of cutscenes again, times have changed and the medium has really matured, contrary to what he says.

I'm ok with Mother Base being destroyed in a cutscene but the real problem i had with GZ's ending is that it was just too fucking short. I mean wtf? I have no problem sitting there watching a 40 minutes or whatever cutscene but that ending was clearly rushed and waaay too short, it probably was meant to be longer in the beginning but since the prologue got it's own release now some stuff might got cut because of time pressure.

Betty

Banned

It's noted on a few sites, though I can't find an official reference. Just the repeated trivia mentioning this.

In the original draft of Metal Gear Solid 4, the ending had Solid Snake and Otacon turning themselves in for the crimes they committed, and executed. Most of the staff vetoed this ending, so it was not used.

I could swear I read that they were to be hanged but I can't find a source for that, and it just makes sense for the song "here's to you" being a direct reference if he'd went with the original ending of having Snake and Otacon executed.

I'm replaying MGS 4 right now, wow that game is so awesome! I think after I finish this I will buy the collection that has every mgs game.

Do you guys know if using the tranq gun on the BB's during the fight is necessary to not kill them, or can I use normal guns for when they are still on their suits. And, when they are out tranq them?

Because is very hard to finish hte fights only using tranq gun :(

Sn4ke_911

I couldn't find one either. It's mentioned in the wiki (http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Hal_Emmerich) but... [citation needed]
I've seen several people reference this ending but I've never seen a quote or leak or anything

It's noted on a few sites, though I can't find an official reference. Just the repeated trivia mentioning this.

In the original draft of Metal Gear Solid 4, the ending had Solid Snake and Otacon turning themselves in for the crimes they committed, and executed. Most of the staff vetoed this ending, so it was not used.

I could swear I read that they were to be hanged but I can't find a source for that, and it just makes sense for the song "here's to you" being a direct reference if he'd went with the original ending of having Snake and Otacon executed.

Hm, I wonder where they got this information from since as we all know everyone can edit wiki articles.

Ishida

Banned
I'm replaying MGS 4 right now, wow that game is so awesome! I think after I finish this I will buy the collection that has every mgs game.

Do you guys know if using the tranq gun on the BB's during the fight is necessary to not kill them, or can I use normal guns for when they are still on their suits. And, when they are out tranq them?

Because is very hard to finish hte fights only using tranq gun :(

You can use normal guns for their Beast forms, and Tranq for their Beauty forms.

So are we getting that new trailer at E3 or before?

I neeeed mooooore footage so bad.

I want Metal Gear Solid V:The Phantom Pain right now! ;__;

I never paid too much attention to the lyrics other than "Here's to You," so I thought that was intended for just Snake. But it makes sense in the context of how Snake and Otacon were supposed to be executed.

Personally, the ending we got was much better imo. I just don't see Philanthropy being captured by a Patroit-controlled or influenced UN who's biggest crime would be destroying weapons of mass destruction (other than being blamed for the Tanker sinking off Manhattan Harbor). With the whole unraveling of SOP, exposing it, and having to pick up the pieces, I'd think those guys would be low on their priorities list. Or were they supposed to be captured much later than after Act 5?

Tekku

The cause of all of MGS's problems

8S2Wt.png

Haha, pretty much. I really admire his honest and it makes sense. But then again I think Metal Gear is just a little bit too complicated to tie together, even if you expect more games to come. The man is obsessed with twists, cameos and excessive explanations and character details. And he's also conflicted with his fans thoughts all the time.

co1onel

I think this would have been a better ending. It would've fit with Snake's tragic life and the themes in MGS4 more. It would've been the perfect ending to get MGS4's message across to the fans.

I'm ok with Mother Base being destroyed in a cutscene but the real problem i had with GZ's ending is that it was just too fucking short. I mean wtf? I have no problem sitting there watching a 40 minutes or whatever cutscene but that ending was clearly rushed and waaay too short, it probably was meant to be longer in the beginning but since the prologue got it's own release now some stuff might got cut because of time pressure.

Rushed or Kojima making a decision to try and scale down the cutscenes?

Either way I don't really think there was the material for a 40 minute cutscene. Kojima would have only showed us the destruction from the viewpoint of Snake. But the whole point of the Trojan Horse plan was that Snake would not be at Mother Base, When he finally arrived the destruction was already complete and there was only the need for a quick grab of Miller.

The only real extra cutscenes that could have been added would have been the ones of Snake in the hospital with Miller. But I guess with the splitting of the game Kojima decided to use those as the intro for the next game so as not to just start the thing with Snake waking up and players who didnt play GZ not knowing what happened.

/XX/

Hm, I wonder where they got this information from since as we all know everyone can edit wiki articles.
From this interview, most probably:

"One of my ideas [for MGS4's ending] was that, since Snake and Otacon are breaking the law in order to fulfill their justice, I was thinking of having them turn themselves in, and for the sake of justice, they'd get convicted and executed by the law," he explained. "But all of my staff went against the idea, so I decided not to go with that."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tgs-07-kojima-speaks/1100-6179757/

SMZC

So, I don't know how many people knew about this, but playing Ground Zeroes again, I found a way to kill any guard without it actually counting towards your kill count. You can shoot guards who are in hold up, a single time, preferably in the legs or arms (obviously using a suppressor is ideal). This will cause them to drop on the ground, bleeding to death. It will take a while for them to finally die, but once they do, it won't count as a kill. I don't think this can help much when going for S ranks, since leaving held up guards around (without shooting them) is a problem mostly when the alarm is triggered, and you're pretty much required to have a no-alarms game for the S rank, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Batzi

Banned
So, I don't know how many people knew about this, but playing Ground Zeroes again, I found a way to kill any guard without it actually counting towards your kill count. You can shoot guards who are in hold up, a single time, preferably in the legs or arms (obviously using a suppressor is ideal). This will cause them to drop on the ground, bleeding to death. It will take a while for them to finally die, but once they do, it won't count as a kill. I don't think this can help much when going for S ranks, since leaving held up guards around (without shooting them) is a problem mostly when the alarm is triggered, and you're pretty much required to have a no-alarms game for the S rank, but I thought I'd share anyway.

You can kill guards without affecting the kill count in many other ways, one good example would be:

Drive a truck/jeep through the guard(s) but before making physical contact with them, jump out of the vehicle. If you stay, it will count as a kill so you have to jump before hitting them.

I just bought the MGS collection and I'm going through them now.

I'm playing MGS2 and wtf HAS Raiden been trained in?

Hasn't been trained for a mission in daylight?
Hasn't been trained for bomb disposal?
Hasn't been trained to swim apparently...

I mean come on. He asks more questions than Snake in MGS1.

malfcn

I had nearly zero problems with MGS4 bosses except for Laughing Octopus. Her roll attack was the worst thing for me.
And for Vamp, if you don't know about the syringe that fight is confusing. All the other B&B fights and such were easy.

V-Ring and Shotgun for the win. You can knock them out pretty quickly or easily with it.
I went full non-lethal on bosses. Didn't know you can go lethal and then non in their beauty form?

SMZC

You can kill guards without affecting the kill count in many other ways, one good example would be:

Drive a truck/jeep through the guard(s) but before making physical contact with them, jump out of the vehicle. If you stay, it will count as a kill so you have to jump before hitting them.

Yup. Calling in the helicopter and having it kill the guards doesn't count towards your kill count either. I think this bleeding them out method is the best in terms of how it's the least situational of the whole bunch, though, being able to resort to it pretty much whenever you want.

JayEH

Hasn't been trained on how to keep a woman happy as well apparently.

I had nearly zero problems with MGS4 bosses except for Laughing Octopus. Her roll attack was the worst thing for me.

Yeah, that rolling attack annoyed me and I turned off the PS3 without saving. After a family reunion I came back and my brain light bulb turned on, I climbed on top of the various boxes scattered in the house to avoid that attack... made hte fight sooo much easier!

Batzi

Banned
TPP's Quiet, Stefanie Joosten, is preparing a second episode in her "Stefanie infiltrates Kojima Productions" series. This time she will be showing the audio/foley room(s) which is where everything audio related in MGSV happens. The episode will be featured in the next Kojima Station which is due this Thursday (JP time).

BoEV0jOIEAEwUr0.jpg:large

BoEZw2sIMAAqJqB.jpg:large

I the game addresses his training on several occasions, so yeah, just keep playing.

$200

Banned
Hmm no... Peace Walker has higher production values but the story is really shitty.

Why did Big Boss forget Eva's speech at the end of MGS 3 clearing up The Boss's motivations, why is the boss on this random machine, why are the characters so boring...

Portable Ops was atleast entertaining and there was nothing super offensive about it.. Except for the way they handled Grey Fox imo.

I'm playing Peace Walker right now and this part really confuses me greatly. Hope everything makes sense at the end.

/XX/

And talking of Stefanie Joosten, have you guys heard her sing in Dutch? Here she is:

迷惑スペクタクル「オランダ語の時間」 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXCdf2Jw0QI

Mr. Morishige, the author of the graphic novel on which this series is based, couldn't believe Hideo Kojima himself was 'retweeting' something related to his own work (https://twitter.com/morisiget/status/464077446032011264)!

Here is now a not so veiled recommendation of My Neighbour Seki...

Batzi

Banned
And talking of Stefanie Joosten, have you guys heard her sing in Dutch? Here she is:

迷惑スペクタクル「オランダ語の時間」 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXCdf2Jw0QI

Mr. Morishige, the author of the graphic novel on which this series is based, couldn't believe Hideo Kojima himself was 'retweeting' something related to his own work (https://twitter.com/morisiget/status/464077446032011264)!

Here is now a not so veiled recommendation of My Neighbour Seki...

Have you seen her in a hip-hop video clip? There Live 4 The Moment

Hasn't been trained on how to keep a woman happy as well apparently.

He has clearly taken VR missions in doing the opposite.

Also can anyone clarify how the codec works? Are they talking out loud? It seems not since multiple characters have used it to shy away from observes (Like Ames and Raiden from Ocelot).

But they're clearly moving their mouths in the codec window. I thought that was possibly just window dressing so it wasn't awkward but people respond to facial expressions too

So which is it? Are they speaking out loud? Is it telepathic communication? What's going on?!

Also can anyone clarify how the codec works? Are they talking out loud? It seems not since multiple characters have used it to shy away from observes (Like Ames and Raiden from Ocelot).

But they're clearly moving their mouths in the codec window. I thought that was possibly just window dressing so it wasn't awkward but people respond to facial expressions too

So which is it? Are they speaking out loud? Is it telepathic communication? What's going on?!

Nanomachines, son. Well at least in 2 and 4. The mouthing of the movie is simply window dressing. I am not sure about how the codecs work in the first game.

JayEH

Yep nanomachines. I think it's supposed to be similar to throat mics that they use in the military. I think the little windows are just for show.

Gun Animal

Raiden is the player, so his only training is MGS1. Raiden doesn't have experience doing anything that Snake did not do in MGS1.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Can someone clear me something.

Just finished the main mission in Ground Zeros and I 'm confused. I played and finished Peace Walker months ago but I don't remember anything about Paz being a double agent working for Zero and other things, Was this in the main story or in extras ?

And I found it really shocking how Kojima treated Paz in this game after Peace Walker, very strange.

Gun Animal

Can someone clear me something.

Just finished the main mission in Ground Zeros and I 'm confused. I played and finished Peace Walker months ago but I don't remember anything about Paz being a double agent working for Zero and other things, Was this in the main story or in extras ?

And I found it really shocking how Kojima treated Paz in this game after Peace Walker, very strange.

After chapter four there's a fifth chapter, which is those missions where you search around for Zadornov. After finding him in four (five?) locations, his sixth location will be upstairs in the very first Extra Ops mission. This triggers the game's final boss fight with Metal Gear Zeke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom