• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2015-01-1912_25_32-tudjj82.png

Banzai

If grey fox is in it I hope they dont turn him into a ninja wannabe with a sword just because he's turned into a ninja in mgs1

Well he already fought with a sword (/machete) in portable ops. I've no clue if that game is even still canon though. Im guessing not.

Dawg

I can already see it.

Sent on a spec-ops mission to Mozambique. Have to gather some data or a POW or whatever. While sneaking through the base there, you find another tortured prisoner. Kaz tells you that you can save this person if you want. You go closer...

Cutscene triggers....

FRANK JAEGER
<A tortured soul>

WWWWWHHHOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sn4ke_911

I can already see it.

Sent on a spec-ops mission to Mozambique. Have to gather some data or a POW or whatever. While sneaking through the base there, you find another tortured prisoner. Kaz tells you that you can save this person if you want. You go closer...

Cutscene triggers....

FRANK JAEGER
<A tortured soul>

WWWWWHHHOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

tumblr_lsemkc0nwt1qet8rrde.gif

If Gray Fox is in TPP, I'd put more money in him being the 3rd unique member of 'Those Who Don't Exist'

So far, we've got Volgin Mk.II, and TotallyNot!Mantis. And what looks to be like a super-cyborg squad of white-faced baldies.

Can't help but feel only two unique members of TWDE feels a little bit thin, even if it's buffered by the cyborg-squad. I feel like Kojima is hiding someone from the line-up of TWDE, and it's going to be Gray Fox.

Dawg

If Gray Fox is in TPP, I'd put more money in him being the 3rd unique member of 'Those Who Don't Exist'

So far, we've got Volgin Mk.II, and TotallyNot!Mantis. And what looks to be like a super-cyborg squad of white-faced baldies.

Can't help but feel only two unique members of TWDE feels a little bit thin, even if it's buffered by the cyborg-squad. I feel like Kojima is hiding someone from the line-up of TWDE, and it's going to be Gray Fox.

But Gray Fox does exist. Wouldn't it make more sense to have dead characters like Volgin in that squad?

I'm assuming Mantis is some kind of boss fight later in the game here. Maybe he appears first during the hospital scene (unknown to Snake) and that's why Volgin appears. But later in the game he summons more of those illusions.

Sn4ke_911

But Gray Fox does exist. Wouldn't it make more sense to have dead characters like Volgin in that squad?

I'm assuming Mantis is some kind of boss fight later in the game here. Maybe he appears first during the hospital scene (unknown to Snake) and that's why Volgin appears. But later in the game he summons more of those illusions.

Kid Mantis better be a boss fight. This fight has so much potential to become one of the best boss fights ever.

Since he get's his own figure i hope he's a very important character in the game.

Play-Arts-Kai-Mantis-MGSV.jpg

Sn4ke_911

Maybe he appears first during the hospital scene (unknown to Snake)

Well Snake sees him after the ambulance car crashed. He crawls out of the car and there he is with a helicopter behind him.

Oh right. But that's after the hospital. Just right after. So he probably doesn't know the kid "summoned" Volgin.

How do you mean 'unknown to snake', can they see him by the elevator or not? That scene is a bit odd, especially when they're still just sitting there as flames start pouring out.

Pinewood

From the GZ tape, Skullfaces "crew" seems to be made of people who have survived death like himself.

Volgin, if it is Volgin, makes sense to be there(burn victim).

And I'm guessing Kojima can come up with a reason for Mantis to be there too.

Sn4ke_911

From the GZ tape, Skullfaces "crew" seems to be made of people who have survived death like himself.

Volgin, if it is Volgin, makes sense to be there(burn victim).

And I'm guessing Kojima can come up with a reason for Mantis to be there too.

Volgin is just a hallucination i'm 1000% sure. Just look at the GDC gameplay video where he vanishes as soon as water comes from the ceiling to erase the flames.

To me the whole hospital thing with the soldiers shooting looks like a hallucination. If you look at the first Phantom Pain trailer where the soldiers just come in and shoot everyone but Snake just stands there and doesn't get hurt.

2015-01-1913_47_07-th5vuqt.png

brau

I'm being pedantic but I'd use Dawg's word of 'illusion' over hallucination. It's got to be Mantis's doing.

I hope not. It would be cool to see BB being tormented as he is growing more unstable. having an outside factor be what is messing with him, makes the whole thing less imo.

But i guess this would make sense, since in the hallway of the hospital, in the elevator he says young mantis.

Dawg

My theory is that the soldiers are legit, but the Volgin, whale, flying horse and whatnot is obviously a Mantis illusion.

The impression I'm getting is that people heard Big Boss woke up. Maybe they have spies stationed in the hospital. And when they heard the news, they decided to kill him. Or extract him. So they sent in a team of soldiers with the help of one of their special agents, young Mantis.

No idea who 'they' is but maybe they want to cover this operation up and kill everyone they face in the hospital in their search for Big Boss. Leave no witnesses.

What if it's the KGB? Mantis was part of them, right?

I know I'm reaching here, but it seems plausible... kinda :p

Sn4ke_911

My theory is that the soldiers are legit, but the Volgin, whale, flying horse and whatnot is obviously a Mantis illusion.

The impression I'm getting is that people heard Big Boss woke up. Maybe they have spies stationed in the hospital. And when they heard the news, they decided to kill him. Or extract him. So they sent in a team of soldiers with the help of one of their special agents, young Mantis.

No idea who 'they' is but maybe they want to cover this operation up and kill everyone they face in the hospital in their search for Big Boss. Leave no witnesses.

I wish i could make gifs. The pic above... you see in the video that the soldiers shoot everyone but Snake doesn't get hurt. How would you explain this?

Pinewood

Maybe he appears as an illusion at the beginning but is a real enemy at a later point?

I mean, he does off like a firecracked, but his lightning powers may have granted some fire-resitance, no? Either ways, cant wait to find out more about him, I mean he did get a figurine, so that should mean something significant already...

But Mantis seems to be stopping the soldiers getting to Snake, what was in the elevator is ambiguous but it was rising to their floor for some reason, the other two times are when they are turning Snake over and sending a helicopter towards him.

Dawg

Just watched the bit Sn4ke was talking about and, yes, almost everyone gets shot at except Big Boss.

But Big Boss also stands in the middle :p And you can't see whether or not the two or three guys left to him get shot too. The scene cuts too early.

I wouldn't take that scene as proof EVERYTHING is an illusion anyway. Imo, the soldiers actually look legit to me. I see a pretty big difference between Volgin and the soldiers shooting the patients.

Also, the main character miracelously not getting shot happens a lot. Both in videogames and movies.

Sn4ke_911

Just watched the bit Sn4ke was talking about and, yes, almost everyone gets shot at except Big Boss.

But Big Boss also stands in the middle :p And you can't see whether or not the two or three guys left to him get shot too. The scene cuts too early.

I wouldn't take that scene as proof EVERYTHING is an illusion anyway. Imo, the soldiers actually look legit to me. I see a pretty big difference between Volgin and the soldiers shooting the patients.

Also, the main character miracelously not getting shot happens a lot. Both in videogames and movies.

There is a guy right in front of Snake that get's killed....

Mantis behind the soldiers.

2222222bmqu7.png

#teamsoldiersnotreal

Wait, why doesn't Ishmael help Snake?

Fishy..

He's not real, a hallucination from Kid Mantis or he's just in Big Boss mind.

Dawg

There is a guy right in front of Snake that get's killed....

Mantis behind the soldiers.

2222222bmqu7.png

#teamsoldiersnotreal

He's not real, a hallucination from Kid Mantis or he's just in Big Boss mind.

How do you know Kid Mantis is not just mind controlling the soldier?

Mantis mind controlling soldiers is a pretty important part of his powers and he did it at Shadow Moses too.

Sn4ke_911

The fuck is going on in the chat lol.

Knight and drk so salty because Hayter is not Big Boss hahahha

S A L T B O Y S

Dawg

In my opinion, Kojima should have never used Hayter in MGS3 and Peace Walker. Hayter isn't Otsuka. He can't voice multiple characters in my opinion. He's perfect as Solid Snake, but him voicing Big Boss too always felt a little off to me.

You can't really blame Kojima though, because Hayter is pretty popular with the fanbase and it was better for him to carry an entire game.

Can someone tell me if Otsuka's Big Boss sounds different in MGS3/PW than his Solid Snake in the other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom