• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Hayter
leuhkikcskn4.gif

In the words of one @davidbhayter, #letitgo

I just read a Google translation of the tweet regarding Kojima's songs -- he was indeed referring to trailer songs, so yes, the blank after "Sins of the Father" does represent a song that will be used in an upcoming trailer!

It'll get lively when the title is changed.

Good point! Just PM'd a mod, hoping the title reflects the NA/EU release so that people will jump in and share their thoughts on the game!

Bring it on! I'm curious what many of you have to say on these characters. It's been so long since I've played many of these games, that I'm forced to reference the Wiki at times. ;_;

Writing my list now! Haha, I know what you mean -- interesting looking up some of the characters; doing that now!

So in relation to what Kojima is saying it goes like this:

2012 Cutscene trailer > GDC 2013 Trailer > E3 2014 Trailer > E3 2013 Trailer/demo>New trailer with new song

But that's just my speculation especially considering the whole Taipei Game Show thing.

I'm dying for information here, I have a slim hope that maybe the release date might be announced but I have a
phantom pain
feeling that we'll still be waiting...huh.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I've loved all the story trailers for The Phantom Pain thus far, but is it just me who wishes Kojima would pick a different formula for this one? I'm a little disappointed he's going for the same kind of music choice as he has with the last three trailers.

I feel like we've had enough trailers with licensed songs or heck, even just ones using songs with lyrics. Not only do I think it would be nice to hear something from the OST for a change (new version of the main theme would be nice), but I also feel like - to help sell the storyline to a broader audience - they could do with a trailer for MGSV that is less 'music video' in style and has more narration/dialogue than what we've been getting thus far. I feel like Kojima opting for licensed songs with lyrics has probably been the biggest hindrance to this, if you watch the Sony version of the Nuclear trailer without the extended bit on the end, it actually has zero dialogue... ZERO! And the GDC and E3 trailers don't have much either.

I'm not saying to include scenes from spoilery parts of the game, rather it would be great just to have a traditional kind of trailer where we got to hear the characters rather than just images/lyrics... something like the Diamond Dogs trio (Big Boss, Ocelot and Kaz) simply talking about their situation, the state of the world and their goals and so forth, taken from tapes at the very beginning of the game and scenes of "infiltration" accompanying that. I've been watching some trailers for the older games and they would use dialogue from the beginning of the game like the "mission briefing" material to give a sense of what was going on, MGS4 had the "war has changed" speech in place of this that served the same purpose. None of these would constitute as "spoilers", and they give a good sense of what is going on and what everything is about even to people unfamiliar to the franchise.

I just really want the kind of trailer that I could show my friends who haven't played Peace Walker, and actually helps them understand the premise and want to jump into it rather than the older trailers which to them "looks awesome, but confusing" because they've been out of the loop. I do get what Kojima is doing by trying to show rather than tell, but I feel like just one of these kind of trailers is sorely needed for some people. I don't think Kojima can possibly top Sins of the Father in coolness factor anyway, so he might as well go for a trailer that serves a different kind of purpose. That's just me though, I guess. I'm almost assuredly going to love it either way!

No it's not just you. I completely agree.

I actually do think the next trailer will use an original song from MGSV's soundtrack. We've heard songs during stage presentations -- like the song that is heard in the TPP trailer found at the end of GZ (You know, the one that sounded like something out of Deus Ex!), the same song that played to open the TGS 2014 presentations of TPP. I think that we will hear more of that song in the next trailer. Or at least during the stage presentation. Who knows? I'm in love with all of the MGSV trailers. Yeah, I'd love some original scores, but I couldn't be happier that he's introduced me to such great (licensed) music, like "Not Your Kind of People" and "Nuclear!"

JayEH

A non music trailer like trailer would be nice. Something similar to the MGS4 trailers (but way way less spoilery).

In an effort to pass the time.....Who do y'all think will make appearances in TPP?

Rate on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being absolutely certain, and 1 being no chance at all.
Just finished replaying MGS2 tonite, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say

Raiden (child) - 8 ; When Solidus is explaining Raiden's past, he says the child soldier program happened in the 80s. Being that TPP takes place in 1984 and forward, and deals with child soldiers, I think there's a chance he'll make a cameo or something.

I've loved all the story trailers for The Phantom Pain thus far, but is it just me who wishes Kojima would pick a different formula for this one? I

I would actually really dig a trailer in the style that Rockstar uses. For example, this Max Payne 3 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjOXR9QnMo

This way, they could explain and preview mechanics that can show people who may not be familiar with MGS, how it plays and what they can expect, plus some of the usual MGS flair with hints of all the interesting ways you can tackle different situations.

Sn4ke_911

Real guns are dead
Jim

Well yeah but i rather have fake weapon names than having other stuff cut out because it's too expensive. I mean the weapon models are real but the names are fake... it would be nice but hey not a big deal to me.

Edit:
and you can bet your sweet ass that there will be more than just a few weapons in the game, with a game this big....

Edit:
and you can bet your sweet ass that there will be more than just a few weapons in the game, with a game this big....

Yup! Looks like not only will there be Peace Walker customization, but MGS4 in-depth customization as well -- if the iDroid concept video is anything to go by! Not to mention that we've seen a bit of the customization options teased (camo patterns on guns and things of that nature)!

Sn4ke_911

Yup! Looks like not only will there be Peace Walker customization, but MGS4 in-depth customization as well -- if the iDroid concept video is anything to go by! (Not to mention that we've seen a bit of the customization options teased (camo patterns on guns and things of that nature)!

Exactly!

Sn4ke_911

I'm getting hyped again... for the 31st....

I'm doing it again...

Get hype Dawg, Kojima's teasing on twitter almost guarantee there will be a new trailer but hey that trailer won't last 1 hour so what else will we see?

HYPE!

Release date party. Everyone is just dancing on stage will Kojima drunk as hell is just shouting "PHANTOM PAIN, PHANTOM PAIN, PHANTOM PAIN
leuhkikcskn4.gif

I would actually really dig a trailer in the style that Rockstar uses. For example, this Max Payne 3 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjOXR9QnMo

This way, they could explain and preview mechanics that can show people who may not be familiar with MGS, how it plays and what they can expect, plus some of the usual MGS flair with hints of all the interesting ways you can tackle different situations.

eh I'm not keen on those, they're a bit too infomercially https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG2krftM2eQ
and I think they've done enough long form versions of that with the demonstrations.

I wouldn't mind something like this, but with less enormous spoiler scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZXdCunDe_A

Dawg

Kojima either has to retcon a lot, but...

Frank Jaeger killed Naomi's parents in 1979. During this time, Big Boss is still in a coma. Jeager would then adopt Naomi and care for her. At some point, Jaeger returned to Mozambique to fight in the civil war. He was captured there and tortured. But... he was saved by Big Boss.

Now, we don't know the exact time of "At some point" BUT... this happened before Big Boss met Naomi. I'm saying this because them meeting happened during the 1980s while Big Boss was in Mozambique.

Considering Big Boss rescuing Jaeger happens AFTER 1979 and SOMETIME during the 1980s BEFORE he met Naomi....

Well... unless Kojima is doing a huge retcon... I'm pretty confident there will be a Gray Fox rescue mission! "At some point" and "during the 1980s" is pretty vague enough to do both the rescue mission and the Naomi meeting in 1984, right?

Sn4ke_911

Kojima either has to retcon a lot, but...

Frank Jaeger killed Naomi's parents in 1979. During this time, Big Boss is still in a coma. Jeager would then adopt Naomi and care for her. At some point, Jaeger returned to Mozambique to fight in the civil war. He was captured there and tortured. But... he was saved by Big Boss.

Now, we don't know the exact time of "At some point" BUT... this happened before Big Boss met Naomi. I'm saying this because them meeting happened during the 1980s while Big Boss was in Mozambique.

Considering Big Boss rescuing Jaeger happens AFTER 1979 and SOMETIME during the 1980s BEFORE he met Naomi....

Well... unless Kojima is doing a huge retcon... I'm pretty confident there will be a Gray Fox rescue mission! "At some point" and "during the 1980s" is pretty vague enough to do both the rescue mission and the Naomi meeting in 1984, right?

Metal Gear Solid V Might Break Canon, But Kojima Says That's Okay

"I'm pretty sure that the guys at Star Wars had the same issues," Kojima said through a translator. "When you try to write something that was supposed to be in the middle there will be some inconsistencies when you go into very small details."

"The most important part is writing something that is fun, something that is impressive, something that is better than it was before," Kojima said. "So sometimes in the interest of doing this, of having a better experience, we sacrifice some consistencies in the story. I hope the fans and players understand this, but I need to write the best we can, even if there are some small discrepancies."

and i'm totally OK with that.

Dawg

Ya, I understand that. But maybe he's talking about stuff that isn't possible anymore and won't fit anymore because Big Boss was in a coma?

Thing is, in my opinion he was vague enough when talking about Naomi and Gray Fox. He didn't say exact dates. Because of this, IN MY OPINION, he can perfectly do the rescue mission of Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid V. I mean... Gray Fox could be a big part of MGS V imo. I can't see Kojima dropping this ;_;

Sn4ke_911

Ya, I understand that. But maybe he's talking about stuff that isn't possible anymore and won't fit anymore because Big Boss was in a coma?

Thing is, in my opinion he was vague enough when talking about Naomi and Gray Fox. He didn't say exact dates. Because of this, IN MY OPINION, he can perfectly do the rescue mission of Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid V. I mean... Gray Fox could be a big part of MGS V imo. I can't see Kojima dropping this ;_;

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Frank Jaeger will play a huge role in MGSV. Kojima and Shinkawa love that character to death and he always wanted to get him more in the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom