• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batzi

Banned
There's been four pages since I was on here last night. Was so sure something happened but guess not :p Oh well, glad the community thread is active at least.

January 22nd there's a Kojima Station and he will definitely bring up Taipei Game Show. Maybe he will tease the content he will be showing there?
Or not.

January 31st is our next milestone among others to come.

Dawg

ghauri.gif

Hopefully there will be no more milestones after the Taipei Game Show - only a short wait for the game [April/May?].

I want to know the release date. Kojima knows the release date. Konami Japan/US/Europe know the release date. Torashiro knows the release date.

The release date knows the release date.

The only ones left in the dark about the release date are the ones that the game is intended for - us. The fans. The lowly consumer. The bottom of the development cycle food chain. The ones that will determine financially if the game is a success or otherwise.

The wait for this game is agonizing to say the least.

grf.gif

fmc.gif

Dawg

nah he gets up right after.

Can't really see that. I just see him falling to his knees.

Also, rewatching the GDC trailer... I now wonder if Mantis worked together with Ocelot to save Big Boss. Mantis beckons over to the chopper to say he found Big Boss... I think. Or maybe Ocelot saved Big Boss from Mantis? Hard to tell.

JayEH

Also, rewatching the GDC trailer... I now wonder if Mantis worked together with Ocelot to save Big Boss. Mantis beckons over to the chopper to say he found Big Boss... I think. Or maybe Ocelot saved Big Boss from Mantis? Hard to tell.

Makes sense for them to work together since both Ocelot and Mantis are KGB.

It does look as though Mantis is helping Ocelot get Big Boss out of there. The whale and all the hallucinations are probably being conjured up by Mantis for whatever reason. It's definitely plausible and Ocelot recruiting new talent for DD [eventually Foxhound] makes sense. Just give me Ocelot recruiting a teenage Vulcan Raven and Decoy Octopus and were set.

JayEH

Why would they shoot the patients though? Assuming Mantis mind controls them... unless he doesn't mind control them straight away.

My guess is that Skullface and Ocelot find Big Boss at the same time and they're racing to get him. But I guess it wouldn't make sense for the hallucinations to happen then. The beginning of the game is probably the most interesting thing in the story for me since there's so much we don't know.

brau

My guess is that Skullface and Ocelot find Big Boss at the same time and they're racing to get him. But I guess it wouldn't make sense for the hallucinations to happen then. The beginning of the game is probably the most interesting thing in the story for me since there's so much we don't know.

Same here. I hope the whole intro is very psychological. I think in that Interview with Kojima they did touch on the subject about BB having hallucinations or nightmares. I forgot what Kojima replied with.

Dawg

Agreed. The intro alone makes me hyped as fuck. Let alone the entire game...

I find the premise of MGS V so interesting... you've lost EVERYTHING... and have to rebuild EVERYTHING... I like it.

Let the legend come back to life.

JayEH

Another theory I have is that maybe Mantis is just sending out hallucinations to everyone at the same time since he doesn't know Boss' location.

Fuck this game needs to come the fuck out. I'm tired of speculating. It's been over 2 years D:

Hopefully there will be no more milestones after the Taipei Game Show - only a short wait for the game [April/May?].

I want to know the release date. Kojima knows the release date. Konami Japan/US/Europe know the release date. Torashiro knows the release date.

The release date knows the release date.

The only ones left in the dark about the release date are the ones that the game is intended for - us. The fans. The lowly consumer. The bottom of the development cycle food chain. The ones that will determine financially if the game is a success or otherwise.

The wait for this game is agonizing to say the least.

YES. They need to spill the beans already.

Batzi

Banned
So its like Black Ops?
i hope its not like Black Ops.
Ishmael is not real. He's a product of Mantis, a mind control trick to persuade Big Boss to reach out to Ocelot. If Ishmael dies, it's only because Mantis wanted him to die and it's only happening in Boss' head. He has no physical appearance in the real world, only in Boss' subconscious. That being said, Mantis does not control the soldiers who kill those patients. Those soldiers were clearly sent by an unknown faction possibly XOF members. They killed everyone most likely because they didn't want to leave any witness behind.

Now the part that puzzled me the most is the fact that none of these soldiers saw Ishmael guiding Big Boss to every room we've seen them in. They clearly can't see Ishmael but Big Boss was there and it's hard to miss him. Did they intentionally avoid Big Boss? If they're after him, why avoid him? What are they really after? And when they finally find him, how the hell does Big Boss manage to escape? He was literally surrounded by several guns pointed at him. We see Ishmael holding a gun. If he really doesn't exist then he can't shoot at anyone since that gun too is part of Big Boss' subconscious. So what the hell is going on here?

Dawg

perhaps the soldiers orders are to eliminate everyone except BB, and bring him in alive

But... why? That seems pretty excessive. I think JayEH might be right. The soldiers are out to find Big Boss (they're under Skull Face) hence the aggressive way they handle things.

Actually, guys... I have a new theory!

What if "Ishmael" is some kind of "guide illusion" Mantis created to help Big Boss get out alive?

But... why? That seems pretty excessive. I think JayEH might be right. The soldiers are out to find Big Boss (they're under Skull Face) hence the aggressive way they handle things.

well, we know that big bosses whereabouts, and possibly the fact that he is even alive are probably largely a secret. those looking to procure him may want to maintain that secrecy, and therefore eliminating all the patients, doctors, nurses, etc that may be witness might be their objective.

just offering a scenario that makes sense within the context of the "everyone is getting shot except BB" discussion. it could very well just be a tom cruise in war of the worlds sitatuion

Dawg

well, we know that big bosses whereabouts, and possibly the fact that he is even alive are probably largely a secret. those looking to procure him may want to maintain that secrecy, and therefore eliminating all the patients, doctors, nurses, etc that may be witness might be their objective.

just offering a scenario that makes sense within the context of the "everyone is getting shot except BB" discussion. it could very well just be a tom cruise in war of the worlds sitatuion

What you are saying sounds correct, but it could apply to Skull Face as well. Seems like a guy that doesn't want witnesses and only Big Boss himself.

January 22nd there's a Kojima Station and he will definitely bring up Taipei Game Show. Maybe he will tease the content he will be showing there?
Or not.

We rarely get much out of Kojima Station but I'll look forward to it nonetheless.

brau

What? The twist blew my mind the first time I was playing through it.

Really? I saw that coming very early in the game. It was a neat idea. It just didn't play well imo. I guess i am just hoping for something more convoluted and psychological. We'll see what Kojima does.

JayEH

I think the only true challenger would be Zelda, but chances are it wont make 2015.

2015 is going to be a freaking bloodbath. Uncharted 4, Zelda, bloodborne, persona 5, the Witcher 3, arkham knight, and MGSV come out. I think MGS will pull through though.

Rajang

2015 is going to be a freaking bloodbath. Uncharted 4, Zelda, bloodborne, persona 5, the Witcher 3, arkham knight, and MGSV come out. I think MGS will pull through though.

MGSV is going to win the real GOTY, no question. Winning GAF GOTY is just a bonus.

brau

Same. I've actually never bought an LE before, but my hype for MGSV makes me want everything they squeeze out for it.

Lol... Kojima can take his time on this game because of people like me
which are many
that buy anything he releases. I have lost count of how many versions of the same game i can buy.lol

I do hope the LE of TPP is glorious.

JayEH

That MGS controls-whining in Gaming. :lol

MGS controls = ROCKET SCIENCE

Happens with every MGS2 and 3 thread. It's a little weird to transition from a modern shooter to them at first but when people say things like "I need to hold 5 different buttons at once to shoot." I smh.

Salaadin

Same. I've actually never bought an LE before, but my hype for MGSV makes me want everything they squeeze out for it.

I'm actually hoping for a big one. Something along the lines of The Witcher 3. Big statue, lots of goodies. I want it all.

Happens with every MGS2 and 3 thread. It's a little weird to transition from a modern shooter to them at first but when people say things like "I need to hold 5 different buttons at once to shoot." I smh.

I don't get it. A part of me thinks that theyre second nature to me because I played the games a billion times but when I run the controls in my head, they really aren't THAT difficult. Id say that if you play MGS3 and don't have the controls down by the end of Virtuous Mission, then I'm not sure it's the games fault.

JayEH

I'm actually hoping for a big one. Something along the lines of The Witcher 3. Big statue, lots of goodies. I want it all.

I don't get it. A part of me thinks that theyre second nature to me because I played the games a billion times but when I run the controls in my head, they really aren't THAT difficult. Id say that if you play MGS3 and don't have the controls down by the end of Virtuous Mission, then I'm not sure it's the games fault.

The only thing in MGS3 that is really complex is the CQC controls.

Pinewood

The only thing in MGS3 that is really complex is the CQC controls.

Yes, they take getting used to. Fortunately I knew exactly what I was getting into.

Tell me everyth- Oh. Sorry bout that.

Going from 1->2->3 would be the best choice considering the controls and how they evolve.

Rajang

Same here. Although, I do have The Legacy Collection (don't know if that counts).

But I'm going all out on MGSV. I might even triple dip (PS3/PS4/PC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom