• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

Yeesh, often times the translation of Kojima's tweets needs translation.
He says there won't be explosions, collapses, characters hanging on ledges, shootouts, car chases, zombies, aliens nor giant spaceships. Just men falling into madness. He heard many fans found the 2013 GDC trailer painful to watch, and this one might be worse.

dc89

Argh!! I can't wait for the new trailer. The Phantom Pain trailers to date have some fantastic one liners in, namely Kaz. I'm pumped.

deserve a topic?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/metal-gear-remake/news/all-clear-from-konami-new-jobs-opening1

moddbshot8.png

tx55_compilation_01.png

FlameThrower_FireTrooper_.png

moddbshot7.png

moddbshot6.png

Outer_Heaven_Mercenaries2.png

I fully expect Kojima to remake the two Metal Gear games before he finishes the series. Seems like a waste of time dor them to remake it.

Part 4 of my playthrough while knowing nothing of the series beforehand:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

What.

The greateat game ever made. I don't know how it would be to play this game for the first time today. When I played it at launch the ideas seemed so crazy, but Kojima just knew the way the world was heading.

Batzi

Banned
He heard many fans found the 2013 GDC trailer painful to watch, and this one might be worse.

I am certain he meant the E3 red band trailer. GDC trailer was awesome but was no where near as painful and disturbing as the red band trailer.

The greateat game ever made. I don't know how it would be to play this game for the first time today. When I played it at launch the ideas seemed so crazy, but Kojima just knew the way the world was heading.

Having played all the games numerous times over the years, as they were released and recently. Mgs2 is easily the worst in the series.

Story aside, (though I will say the long and constant codec convos between characters that are right in front of each other is absolutely ridiculous), the boss battles are weak rehashes of mgs1 (on purpose or not), big shell is extremely small and uninteresting, and the camera is atrocious (far worse than mgs within the context of the level design and angles). The difficulty is completely unbalanced between areas that are dead simple and require no thought, to very calculated and difficult areas that require a lot of trial and error, mostly due to camera issues (especially when you start each strut without radar). The ambient music is so bad in comparison to mgs1, the jazzy beats establish no proper mood unlike the dark tension established in mgs1. I was just as disappointed in it as I was 13 years ago and it's aged horribly (other than some of the visuals). In every aspect, another mgs is better. Mgs1 has the best story, mgs3 has the best level design, mgs4 has the best control and overall gameplay. It's really the ugly duckling to me, and this is coming from a hardcore mgs fan

You didn't play PW, did you?

i was more speaking about the main-line MGS games, but i love peace walker. it doesn't suffer from the gameplay issues that mgs2 does, despite both being handcuffed by the hardware/time of release. the level design is just as basic, but far more inventive, easier to navigate and tackle without dealing with camera issues

Having played all the games numerous times over the years, as they were released and recently. Mgs2 is easily the worst in the series.

Story aside, (though I will say the long and constant codec convos between characters that are right in front of each other is absolutely ridiculous), the boss battles are weak rehashes of mgs1 (on purpose or not), big shell is extremely small and uninteresting, and the camera is atrocious (far worse than mgs within the context of the level design and angles). The difficulty is completely unbalanced between areas that are dead simple and require no thought, to very calculated and difficult areas that require a lot of trial and error, mostly due to camera issues (especially when you start each strut without radar). The ambient music is so bad in comparison to mgs1, the jazzy beats establish no proper mood unlike the dark tension established in mgs1. I was just as disappointed in it as I was 13 years ago and it's aged horribly (other than some of the visuals). In every aspect, another mgs is better. Mgs1 has the best story, mgs3 has the best level design, mgs4 has the best control and overall gameplay. It's really the ugly duckling to me, and this is coming from a hardcore mgs fan

The angles on MGS1 are awful, It is impossible to run and see Ocelot during his battle around Baker and it is just as bad battling Vulcan Raven in the tank. MGs2 improved on the gameplay immensely. Sure the bosses are not as epic, but the battle with Solidus on the rooftop is one of the best of the series. As for the trial and error you mention, it is a stealth game and the fact that you have to get the radar encourages you to use the fpm and take your time and be stealthy.

MGS2 is either the best or worst game in the series depending on who you ask.

Pretty much, people either love the story and think the game is the best or hate the story and think it is the worst game in the series.

The angles on MGS1 are awful, It is impossible to run and see Ocelot during his battle around Baker and it is just as bad battling Vulcan Raven in the tank. MGs2 improved on the gameplay immensely. Sure the bosses are not as epic, but the battle with Solidus on the rooftop is one of the best of the series. As for the trial and error you mention, it is a stealth game and the fact that you have to get the radar encourages you to use the fpm and take your time and be stealthy.

the game is almost entirely broken functionally without the radar, and it actually forces you to go without radar for stretches. this is even more apparent when you play on hard and don't have the M9 as a crutch. the problem is much, much worse in mgs2 than in mgs1. the level design was more open in mgs1; you have these small sandboxes with enemies and numerous paths and ways to go. in mgs2 there's a lot of narrow corridors with one way to go. yes, they added a lot of controls and functionality above what you had in mgs1, but those abilities weren't needed in mgs1 because the game was designed around what you can and cannot do. not that mgs2 wasn't either, but the improvements are like putting band-aids on gaping wound. nearly every control and quirk is designed around the fact that the camera sucks and kojima was avoiding using a splinter cell-like camera, a fact they clearly recognized, albeit quite late when they implemented it in mgs3 subsistence and every mgs since. playing mgs3 now and the controls are dated and quirky, but it's tolerable because the stealth so rich and fun when you're not constantly frustrated by not being able to see the enemy

Holykael1

Banned
the game is almost entirely broken functionally without the radar, and it actually forces you to go without radar for stretches. this is even more apparent when you play on hard and don't have the M9 as a crutch. the problem is much, much worse in mgs2 than in mgs1. the level design was more open in mgs1; you have these small sandboxes with enemies and numerous paths and ways to go. in mgs2 there's a lot of narrow corridors with one way to go. yes, they added a lot of controls and functionality above what you had in mgs1, but those abilities weren't needed in mgs1 because the game was designed around what you can and cannot do. not that mgs2 wasn't either, but the improvements are like putting band-aids on gaping wound. nearly every control and quirk is designed around the fact that the camera sucks and kojima was avoiding using a splinter cell-like camera, a fact they clearly recognized, albeit quite late when they implemented it in mgs3 subsistence and every mgs since. playing mgs3 now and the controls are dated and quirky, but it's tolerable because the stealth so rich and fun when you're not constantly frustrated by not being able to see the enemy

Cannot relate to those complaints at all.. MGS 2 is far more playable and controllable than MGS 1.
Making use of first person view helps a lot and it's much less clunky than in MGS 1. I also thought that MGS 2 had way more interesting and creative level designs, have to agree on the bosses being better in MGS 1 except for the last 2 fights in MGS 2.

It is just natural game development that things like the camera angle have improved. 2 is better than 1 and 3 improved upon 2. But I have never felt that camera in 2 hinders you from playing the game even without the radar, Sure you have to move slower and take your time, but I feel that adds to the enjoyment of the game. You can't just run through levels and it makes it a better experience than 3 IMO.

G-Fex

it actually happened. I'm getting burnt out watching the marathon -_-

LOL I'm getting fatigue watching the games and I haven't even gotten to play them all that much.

Nvzman

Yeah I agree with this. While I still like MGS2, it's kind of... boring and clunky. It's my least favorite in the entire Solid series.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm looking to join MGS Gaf, and I've never played a single one. Can I skip the first? As much as I'd like to go through the whole series, I really can't stand PS1 graphics. How has time treated it? Is it still a good game? I'd rather not let nostalgia dictate your answer if possible!

Batzi

Banned
I'm looking to join MGS Gaf, and I've never played a single one. Can I skip the first? As much as I'd like to go through the whole series, I really can't stand PS1 graphics. How has time treated it? Is it still a good game? I'd rather not let nostalgia dictate your answer if possible!

I would highly recommend that you play MGS1 on the PS1/PS3/PSP/PS Vita. The game is still one of the best of all times.

Ray Wonder

I would highly recommend that you play MGS1 on the PS1/PS3/PSP/PS Vita. The game is still one of the best of all times.

Hmm. Ok, I'll do that for sure. Per your recommendation would you say that I have to do them in order as well? I don't have MGS1, but I bought the HD collection (2/3/Peace Walker) and MGS4.

Batzi

Banned
Hmm. Ok, I'll do that for sure. Per your recommendation would you say that I have to do them in order as well? I don't have MGS1, but I bought the HD collection (2/3/Peace Walker) and MGS4.

I would go with the order of release. Game mechanics evolve as you move from one game to another and you will get to see how the series evolved over the years. You will appreciate it more.

MGS1>MGS2(HD)>MGS3(HD)>Portable Ops>MGS4>Peace Walker HD>Ground Zeroes>The Phantom Pain

Ray Wonder

I would go with the order of release. Game mechanics evolve as you move from one game to another and you will get to see how the series evolved over the years. You will appreciate it more.

MGS1>MGS2(HD)>MGS3(HD)>Portable Ops>MGS4>Peace Walker HD>Ground Zeroes>The Phantom Pain

Thank you kind sir. Umma get on it right now. I'm sure I'll be back in here often.

NateDog

Not sure I would recommend playing it on a PSP or Vita, especially for your first time with the game, I'd imagine you'll find the controls mixed with the cameras a little awkward. Graphics aren't great (especially when it comes to the pixelated character faces) but it actually has held up really well apart from that in my opinion. I went back to it tons of times last gen and never had any issues with it.

If anything a "2015" at the end of the trailer but i highly doubt that.

i would assume kojima won't want to make the same mistake he did with mgs4 and over-promise in terms of release date. having said that, didn't the retail inserts with ground zeroes say that dlc code will work with TPP in 2015? i seem to vaguely recall a couple of references to a 2015 release date over the past few months

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
i would assume kojima won't want to make the same mistake he did with mgs4 and over-promise in terms of release date. having said that, didn't the retail inserts with ground zeroes say that dlc code will work with TPP in 2015? i seem to vaguely recall a couple of references to a 2015 release date over the past few months

It even said "Early 2015" and we haven't seen Metal Gear Online yet.

Rojo

I will also suggest to play MG2:SS in the MGS3 menu in the HD collection its a 2d MGS1 and dates prior to the 3d games so you may start with that if you want.

JayEH

"Still not sure if I should give a sneak peak of what we'll reveal at E3 in our this week's Kojima Station, as E3's coming up next week..."

-@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom