• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonda

Raiden is the player, so his only training is MGS1. Raiden doesn't have experience doing anything that Snake did not do in MGS1.

Wow, after all the MGS videos I've watched about MGS2 and the fact that "Raiden" is the player.. and I never pieced this all together until now

Looks like I will be doing a full MGS playthrough before the TPP release... it will definitely help me through the upcoming TPP media blackout that I have imposed on myself

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Was that 100 hour chronological playthrough those dudes did on twitch archived?

I followed the link in the other thread... but it seems to be offline, and I don't see it archived anywhere. I never use twitch, so I'm a bit lost how this works.

Are codec sequences in real time? I'm almost done with MGS2 and I had a massively long codec call while standing in front of Solidus...did that happen in real time for him?

Edit: Never mind I'm thinking of the times I had a codec call in the middle of a battle. I've given up making sense of it its obviously completely nonsensical.

Holykael1

Banned
Can someone clear me something.

Just finished the main mission in Ground Zeros and I 'm confused. I played and finished Peace Walker months ago but I don't remember anything about Paz being a double agent working for Zero and other things, Was this in the main story or in extras ?

And I found it really shocking how Kojima treated Paz in this game after Peace Walker, very strange.

Now go and watch the true ending of Peace Walker on youtube or go back to the game :p

Batzi

Banned
Are codec sequences in real time? I'm almost done with MGS2 and I had a massively long codec call while standing in front of Solidus...did that happen in real time for him?

Edit: Never mind I'm thinking of the times I had a codec call in the middle of a battle. I've given up making sense of it its obviously completely nonsensical.

That's why I love Ground Zeroes' radio communication system. Whether you're talking/listening or not the battle goes on in real time.

That's why I love Ground Zeroes' radio communication system. Whether you're talking/listening or not the battle goes on in real time.

I really think Kojima is making an effort to cutdown on the cutscenes and the like. I still don't know how I feel overall about it, because the stuff like the codec/radio cutscenes have been such a trademark of the series. No more "Press Select" makes me sad.

Batzi

Banned
I really think Kojima is making an effort to cutdown on the cutscenes and the like. I still don't know how I feel overall about it, because the stuff like the codec/radio cutscenes have been such a trademark of the series. No more "Press Select" makes me sad.

Well "Start" & "Select" buttons were scrapped by Sony :p Punished Kojima :)

Not the same :p I really don't mind it at all and apparently TPP will introduce a different communication system and iDroid will be dropped.

Yeah, I had no idea that they had done away with the communication cutscenes until your post. It just felt so natural playing the game and Kaz talking to you while you are still playing.

I hope there is a good blend in TPP. I want the traditional communication cutscenes for the important stuff, but it is much better just having Kaz talking to you in real time for the minor bits of dialogue that relate more about how to play the game and updates to mission objectives.

Batzi

Banned
Yeah, I had no idea that they had done away with the communication cutscenes until your post. It just felt so natural playing the game and Kaz talking to you while you are still playing.

I hope there is a good blend in TPP. I want the traditional communication cutscenes for the important stuff, but it is much better just having Kaz talking to you in real time for the minor bits of dialogue that relate more about how to play the game and updates to mission objectives.

Well now you will be talking to both Kaz and Ocelot and maybe more characters so there is definitely going to be an interface of some sort to choose who to call.

Had two days off here, and decided to replay MGS1 after roughly ten years. Took me 7 1/2 hours first playthrough. Got Meryl's ending. Then immediately I went through again for a better time and rank and ending. 4 1/2 hours and Otacon's ending.

After such a hiatus, the original still holds up perfectly to this day. I just want to keep playing it and playing it. Thinking of trying for some perfect runs.

I switched to MGS2 (HD version) after an almost equally-long hiatus, but man... Raiden and those codec calls sure takes some of the excitement out of the game. It's still a good game (and the HD version running 60fps is like butter) but feels so, so different than its predecessor. I appreciate Kojima's effort to fuck with the audience, but yeah.

Not the same :p I really don't mind it at all and apparently TPP will introduce a different communication system and iDroid will be dropped.

What? When did this happen? Didn't they go so far as to make an app for that too? Is it because it went against the more serious tone or did they come up with something better?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Kojima Station Episode 8 (JP) is up!

Here's Stefanie's bit for those interested: Stefanie Infiltrates Kojima Productions - Mission 2

So cute.

iod1r3d6puu9.gif

Batzi

Banned
The iDroid seems to be part of the game's HUD, so I hope it doesn't get replaced. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

The iDroid has nothing to do with the HUD. It's just an item that can be easily replaced by another item. Kojima did say that TPP will have something else.

I MUST keep asking this:

Where is the damn Gamertrailers MGS Timeline video?

In the preview video, It said May. Well folks, we're coming to the END of May now and still no video.

Someone needs to scream into Geoff Keighley's ear and get this shit done already.

The iDroid has nothing to do with the HUD. It's just an item that can be easily replaced by another item. Kojima did say that TPP will have something else.

Ah, ok. Fair enough. It just baffles me as to why replace the iDroid system when it seems to work quite well. But let's see.

I MUST keep asking this:

Where is the damn Gamertrailers MGS Timeline video?

In the preview video, It said May. Well folks, we're coming to the END of May now and still no video.

Someone needs to scream into Geoff Keighley's ear and get this shit done already.

In their latest E3 hype video for MGSV, they mentioned that it's coming soon. Not sure what Geoff Keighley has to do with it, though.

Batzi

Banned
Ah, ok. Fair enough. It just baffles me as to why replace the iDroid system when it seems to work quite well. But let's see.
Has to do with the elapsed time. 9 years are more than enough to come up with something more sophisticated. Remember that more than one person can communicate with Big Boss so a user interface to manage the calls is needed. Kaz & Ocelot have been confirmed.

Stefanie Joosten again. Cool. But nothing really new.

Next episode will be more about the past games. I think it's only after E3 when we'll see new stuff in the episodes.

JayEH

The foley sound in this week's Kojima station was super interesting.

The guy who did the other MGS trailers in the style or Phantom Pain just released the MGS4 one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGXpPLMpcg

This is his best one. His character lines were better this game but he really should have called Snake, "Old Snake" :p. Also making the first half of the trailer about how freaking old Snake is was the best move.

So I have The Legacy Collection and finished MGS 1, 2, and then 3.

But Portables Ops isn't in the collection despite being a direct sequel to MGS 3. I REALLY want to find out what happens to Big Boss after MGS 3 since he seems like...well a hero. And I know he eventually becomes a villian.

So wtf do I need to buy Portable Ops to figure out this character arc or can I just play Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes?

NateDog

It's not extremely necessary, Kojima has disregarded the events of Portable Ops pretty much ever since it was made. Still, maybe watch the cutscenes of it on Youtube, even if just for Gene who was a quality character in my opinion.

JayEH

So I have The Legacy Collection and finished MGS 1, 2, and then 3.

But Portables Ops isn't in the collection despite being a direct sequel to MGS 3. I REALLY want to find out what happens to Big Boss after MGS 3 since he seems like...well a hero. And I know he eventually becomes a villian.

So wtf do I need to buy Portable Ops to figure out this character arc or can I just play Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes?

You can just play Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes. But just to let you know the whole villain arc seems like it won't happen until TPP.

Smilax

So I usually make May the month to play all the Metal Gear games I own which so far I have beaten
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and I just love, I haven't played it as much as I have the others but I believe 4 is really great. There is one thing I want to know about MGS4 and that is how do I get a lot of Drebin points to get the Bandana and the Stealth Camo? Its just a crazy amount! After this I'm playing Rising and then Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes.

Gusy

I'm sure most wouldn't agree but I think MGS4 would definetly benefit from a remaster. IQ felt sub HD on PS3 (Not really sure if it was actually 720p). But think about how great it would feel if it were locked at 60 fps. I think it's a game that deserves the best version it can get.

JayEH

So I usually make May the month to play all the Metal Gear games I own which so far I have beaten
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and I just love, I haven't played it as much as I have the others but I believe 4 is really great. There is one thing I want to know about MGS4 and that is how do I get a lot of Drebin points to get the Bandana and the Stealth Camo? Its just a crazy amount! After this I'm playing Rising and then Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes.

I think you can get the bandana and camo by getting certain rankings .Big Boss ranking I think is one of them you need to get.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think you can get the bandana and camo by getting certain rankings .Big Boss ranking I think is one of them you need to get.
You're right in that you can get them by getting rankings, but the Big Boss rank gets you Snake Eater and the Big Boss camo, I think you get stealth and bandana by the normal means: Stealth by not getting any alerts and Bandana by not getting kills.
By the way, hello MGS Gaf! Seems nice around here.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Yeesh, often times the translation of Kojima's tweets needs translation.

Icefire1424

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

Lot of opportunity to gather Drebin Points in Shadow Moses. There is a special code that can be entered during the code segment that grants a ton of points, and the Rex "breakout" gives you more time than you actually need. Spend some extra time there beating up on some Gekko's for extra points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom