• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

See those? That's where I need this game!

Pain_in_my_Veins.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
JunkerHQ! Get on this shit!

Thanks to raven777

I needed to go to watch the clip since I can hear, but not read well (because of Kanji)

First one is just explanation about the Taipei game show. History, date, number of visitors, etc.

Second one is in Chinese. It says that there will be stage event on 31st.

By the way the host said there is no live streaming for the Taipei event. So they will record clips and show them at the next Kojima Station.

No live stream D:

NeoGiff

Hai.

I'm currently playing through GZ on PS4 (I've played the PS3 version already), and last night I was playing the mission where you rescue Kojima. I was going for a non-lethal run for the trophy, but I was unable to kill the last guy in the helicopter. Every time I shot him with the non-lethal revolver, there was no reaction from him at all - it was as if his hit detection was broken. This happened multiple times, and I eventually pulled out my rifle to see if real bullets would work... he went down easily. I did it successfully on the PS3 ages ago but can't remember if this happened... Is it a glitch?

Can someone redirect me to the google docs so I can add my name to the contact list? I seem to be unable to access it...or rather I just don't know how.

Rajang

Hai.

I'm currently playing through GZ on PS4 (I've played the PS3 version already), and last night I was playing the mission where you rescue Kojima. I was going for a non-lethal run for the trophy, but I was unable to kill the last guy in the helicopter. Every time I shot him with the non-lethal revolver, there was no reaction from him at all - it was as if his hit detection was broken. This happened multiple times, and I eventually pulled out my rifle to see if real bullets would work... he went down easily. I did it successfully on the PS3 ages ago but can't remember if this happened... Is it a glitch?

With the last guy, aim slightly towards the right side of his body (his left arm). His hitbox is kind of weird because of the moving helicopter.

Do you have any fucking idea how awesome it is to know that shit is hanging up in the KP offices? An awesome joint effort by everyone here. Especially cool for me since I physically held and sent it to the Big Boss himself!!

I rubbed my balls on it for good measure and Kojima felt it up with his fingers. He and I are now one...
lol, didn't Tora handle it as well. I hope he's ok with touching your balls. I do feel validated seeing it up on the wall though.

I am but it just appears blank for me

I PM'd you the info.

Also, on a side note. Is anybody else a seasoned Metal Gear veteran and just piss awful at GZ? I think it's because I always embraced the action hero mentality of the games, and never did non-lethal challenges. I liked being a murder machine. I'm not saying I like stealth any less, I just started MGS1 in '98 when I was freaking 7 and was never really forced to relearn to play until 4, which I only played through once. Now I'm just plain BAD at GZ.

I think I need to watch a stream of someone to get the rhythm. Does anyone here do a stream or have a good video to suggest?

dc89

On the latest episode of weekly webcast Kojima Station, Kojima Productions teased the release date for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is nearing its announcement.

“I know you’ve all been eagerly await for word on releasing timing,” a Kojima Productions spokesperson said during the broadcast. “I think we should be able to announce that soon, so look forward to that. It’s only a little longer.”

As far as upcoming events go, The Phantom Pain will be at the Taipei Game Show on January 31 with “new information.”

In terms of development, The Phantom Pain is currently just before the bug check phase, as the team is currently adjusting some of the game’s newly introduced elements.

Additionally, if you watch the video below from 27:50, you’ll see a bit of new footage showing added hiding spots (like a simple porta potty) and voice adjustments.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/01/metal-ge...date-nearing-announcement#cJmIREHvOXuHbO3D.99

How much longer must we suffer?

What in the hell did I miss from the Kojima Station? I'm seeing screen captures of Big Boss in his Ground Zeroes uniform? Is that a skin in The Phantom Pain now? Seems like it would ruin the immersion. I actually prefer Venom Snake's rustic, run-down appearance.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
FUCKING HYPE GUYS HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!!!!!!!

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain release date nearing announcement

Development approaching the bug check phase.

On the latest episode of weekly webcast Kojima Station, Kojima Productions teased the release date for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is nearing its announcement.

“I know you’ve all been eagerly await for word on releasing timing,” a Kojima Productions spokesperson said during the broadcast. “I think we should be able to announce that soon, so look forward to that. It’s only a little longer.”

As far as upcoming events go, The Phantom Pain will be at the Taipei Game Show on January 31 with “new information.”

In terms of development, The Phantom Pain is currently just before the bug check phase, as the team is currently adjusting some of the game’s newly introduced elements.

RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCEMENT VERY SOON!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_mgqp1gkmst1ry1zjz0f.gif

brau

going back on some thread comments, since i thought there was an interesting train of thoughts going on.

I felt the complete opposite.

His origin story kind of ruined the mystery surrounding BB. He wasn't bad ass at all in MGS3. He was the stereotypical anime protagonist: always hungry, very stupid alot of the time, knows everything about 1 particular subject but seems ignorant about everything else.
He was too goofy for me. I only started to like his character after he completed his mission.

Maybe it wasn't that he was over the top badass, but he came out on top against all adversity. But having to go and kill your mentor was a big deal. To me the Boss was amazing. Having you fight her in the end in that field of flowers was pretty epic. CQC and all, i think it was done well, and when the theme starts playing acappela i felt pretty awesome. I dunno. i was just looking for something more organic and interesting to follow, and i think MGS3 delivers on all of that.

I think the difference is you can always be assured Solid Snake is going to be altruistic. He will sacrifice himself for the greater good. Big Boss had a downfall we knew from the beginning, but there was a mystery still to unravel.

But you can't tell me Solid Snake isn't max badass, just play the ending of MGS2. You are a naked, shivering pretty boy and he is back in his tanker suit, with an infinite ammo headband, and an arsenal of guns. He gives you a freaking katana. He's supposed to make you feel weak and lame by comparison because he is the ultimate hero. I think that's pretty epic.

I think thats why i was so upset at MGS2. After the tanker Snake is pretty amazing. Then you get to play as Raiden. Who is alright, but can't measure up to SS. I felt i was missing out on all the cool parts. Just the raspy voice of Flynn in the elevator sent a bad vibe of "who the hell is this guy? this is not SS!!"

I agree tho... i think SS has a very linear view of what needs to be done. BB found a lot of murky areas and decided wrong, leading to his downfall. A whole lot more interesting as a character trait than SS imo. Even then tho. i love all the characters shown, and i am very excited to see what BB does in this one. His relation to a lot of motherbase. I dunno about you guys, but i thought the stories of Paz about BB back on motherbase were pretty awesome. I hope they can illustrate that in the game.

I like GZ a lot, and I'm a old MGS dude :p
But I always had fun on doing non-lethal runs, so it's not really a problem, for me.
After all, is a stealth game, not a TPS.
I did several streams on Steam, but now I uninstalled the game.

It's not so much a matter of what I think is better. I recognize this as the magnum opus of gameplay. It's incredibly refined and presents you with nearly unending approaches to every situation. I just constantly find myself being spotted, hiding, maiming soldiers, and then getting graded poorly at the end. Where the other games gave you both options this one is chastising me at the end of my runs. And while it hurts deep, I'm perfectly pleased with that mechanic.

It will just be a matter of time before I have more character awareness. Oh, and patience. I know I'll learn because I know it's fun. It's just going to take work. Thanks for the speedy response, my friend.

brau

It's not so much a matter of what I think is better. I recognize this as the magnum opus of gameplay. It's incredibly refined and presents you with nearly unending approaches to every situation. I just constantly find myself being spotted, hiding, maiming soldiers, and then getting graded poorly at the end. Where the other games gave you both options this one is chastising me at the end of my runs. And while it hurts deep, I'm perfectly pleased with that mechanic.

It will just be a matter of time before I have more character awareness. Oh, and patience. I know I'll learn because I know it's fun. It's just going to take work. Thanks for the speedy response, my friend.

Maybe you need to change your play style a bit to not get spotted. Usually i get spotted because i am careless. If i take my time and pay attention i think i can do a good job. Unless it was my first play through and someone or something surprises me.

Wait-- I went to sleep, and missed GAMEPLAY?! DAFUQ WAS I THINKING? AGH!!!!

I dunn think you missed much. But you can prbly watch the koji station on twitch.

if you're not behind something or in bushes, and enemies are even remotely close, you should be fully prone and crawling. also, use mags to your advantage, if you can't see an area you're approaching or around a corner, throw one and see if an enemy responds.

I think thats why i was so upset at MGS2. After the tanker Snake is pretty amazing. Then you get to play as Raiden. Who is alright, but can't measure up to SS. I felt i was missing out on all the cool parts. Just the raspy voice of Flynn in the elevator sent a bad vibe of "who the hell is this guy? this is not SS!!"

I agree tho... i think SS has a very linear view of what needs to be done. BB found a lot of murky areas and decided wrong, leading to his downfall. A whole lot more interesting as a character trait than SS imo. Even then tho. i love all the characters shown, and i am very excited to see what BB does in this one. His relation to a lot of motherbase. I dunno about you guys, but i thought the stories of Paz about BB back on motherbase were pretty awesome. I hope they can illustrate that in the game.

There is a lot of time spent humanizing Solid Snake over the course of his respective titles. They give you a rough, tortured exterior and then over time add layers of "Oh yeah, he's a real dude. He wants to submerge himself in passion, like sledding. He wants love, but doesn't know if maybe he's just too messed up from the things he's seen. He wants friends, but most people just see a legend and it constantly dehumanizes him." But at the end of the day he's going to be the hero because that's who he is. No matter if it's the Patriots, Liquid, Ocelot, Big Boss, no matter what tactics they take to discredit him, he will be there missiles blazing because that's SS's character.

Big Boss, on the other hand, is humanized out the gate. Pain of betrayal from the only one he trusted, who beats the ever-living shit out of him twice in the first hour or two, just to show that, no, this isn't the legend we've heard about. Or at least not yet. We know he's going to make mistakes and we know they are actually an attempt for a greater good.

But we all make misjudgements. I think this makes Big Boss a far more relatable character than Solid Snake because we get to feel a separate scope of emotions following his story. We get a mostly naive BB in MGS3 while we start with a mostly damaged SS with MGS1. BB is a story about becoming hardened, while SS is more of a story of adding human layers to something already jaded. Their emotional progressions almost mirror each others.

That's why the cemetery scene is so excellent in MGS4. It's pretty much BB admitting that SS's resolve was what the world really needed and we end with SS finally getting the retired life he deserved.

brau

There is a lot of time spent humanizing Solid Snake over the course of his respective titles. They give you a rough, tortured exterior and then over time add layers of "Oh yeah, he's a real dude. He wants to submerge himself in passion, like sledding. He want's love, but doesn't know if maybe he's just too messed up from the things he's seen. He wants friends, but most people just see a legend and it constantly dehumanizes him." But at the end of the day he's going to be the hero because that's who he is. No matter if it's the Patriots, Liquid, Ocelot, Big Boss, no matter what tactics they take to discredit him, he will be there missiles blazing because that's SS's character.

Big Boss, on the other hand, is humanized out the gate. Pain of betrayal from the only one he trusted, who beats the ever-living shit out of him twice in the first hour or two, just to show that, no, this isn't the legend we've heard about. Or at least not yet. We know he's going to make mistakes and we know they are actually an attempt for a greater good.

But we all make misjudgements. I think this makes Big Boss a far more relatable character than Solid Snake because we get to feel a separate scope of emotions following his story. We get a mostly naive BB in MGS3 while we start with a mostly damaged SS with MGS1. BB is a story about becoming hardened, while SS is more of a story of adding human layers to something already jaded. Their emotional progressions almost mirror each others.

That's why the cemetery scene is so excellent in MGS4. It's pretty much BB admitting that SS's resolve was what the world really needed and we end with SS finally getting the retired life he deserved.

I think that was what made me feel he was more of a badass. Not the fact that he is making the wrong choices. But how he deals with his emotion and situations. He gives his eye for Eva, only to get betrayed. He is still kinda confused about the Boss, and i think after peace walker he grows to resent her maybe.

Whatever it is, his inner struggle is huge, and i hope we get to explore and see the tortured soul that ends up as the evil villain.

Rajang

Also, on a side note. Is anybody else a seasoned Metal Gear veteran and just piss awful at GZ? I think it's because I always embraced the action hero mentality of the games, and never did non-lethal challenges. I liked being a murder machine. I'm not saying I like stealth any less, I just started MGS1 in '98 when I was freaking 7 and was never really forced to relearn to play until 4, which I only played through once. Now I'm just plain BAD at GZ.

I think I need to watch a stream of someone to get the rhythm. Does anyone here do a stream or have a good video to suggest?

I definitely needed some time to get used to GZ because of the open world, new control scheme and the enhanced enemy ai and vision (especially during daylight, holy shit). It feels like a very different game. But now I'm quite good at the game and can "speedrun" most missions consistently while getting S rank.The older MGS games you could learn the enemy placement and guard routine very quickly, because of the more linear design. In MGSV everything seems more dynamic and you need to be improvise more it seems.

And killing enemies in MGS always felt very unnatural to me. I rarely did that in previous games. Even now, when I want to just mess around in Camp Omega I still use non lethal weapons.

Google translation of a tweet from @kojima_pro:

Today's # Kojisute we broadcast end. Everyone who has watched, thank you! MGSV: TPP toward the launch, is now in full swing production. Please wait a little now until the announcement of follow-up! Come Those who missed today's broadcast, please refer to the archive. >http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/station/jp/

Yup. RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCEMENT INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY. SHIT.

B76pu68IUAEnTmK.jpg:large

LAWD. WOW!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom