• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindrax

I mean, it doesn't matter the question if the answer is always nanomachines!

I mean, it could always be something like "Where was Solid Snake between MG2 and MGS" or something. Not a question non fans would know, but not too difficult that only the MGS historians could join.

Real in 2, fake in 4.

The arm looks pretty solid to me.

BPgdwN0.gif

If GAF allowed signatures I would make a giant image that said "Liquid was real in MGS2, as confirmed by the MGS4 Database" so no one could keep saying bs about it.

Yeah, the influence was overwhelming him because of his spiritual sensitivity so he removed it and hypnotized himself to trick the Patriots into sending Snake who was the only one who could actually bring down The Patriots because of their algorithms?

Watered down version.

Seriously????

Wtf, during the BB epilogue I'm sure BB said he was nanomachines and brainwashed from the get go. They also showed scenes from during the tanker while he was explaining it IRC

Timeaisis

Oh you want some questions mister!?

Well riddle me this: Ocelet's arm in MGS2, is it really Liquids? Or is it fake?

The arm was really Liquid's arm in MGS2, but not in 4. If it was really Liquid's persona in 2 is up for debate, but I believe it's official canon that the arm caused Ocelot real psychological effects. He got a different arm, and then hypnotized himself into being Liquid to continue to fool the Pats that he was Liquid.

I think.

EDIT: Beaten by like 8 people.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the influence was overwhelming him because of his spiritual sensitivity so he removed it and hypnotized himself to trick the Patriots into sending Snake who was the only one who could actually bring down The Patriots because of their algorithms?

Watered down version.

Yeah, the real Liquid was just too unpredictable, more or less sabotaging the S3 simulation. Plus he only got out when Solid Snake was near him. Changing him for just a fake persona allowed Ocelot to have more direct control over his actions while at the same time managing to fool everyone.

Seriously????

Wtf, during the BB epilogue I'm sure BB said he was nanomachines and brainwashed from the get go. They also showed scenes from during the tanker while he was explaining it IRC

Yeah, which makes The Sorrow theory for his channeling of Liquid hold water. To be fair, it's not like I got all that info by myself. It's been years and years of video watching and wiki scrolling.

Jindrax

At some point, he had his right arm replaced with Liquid Snake's arm via an arm transplant surgery in Lyon, France, with Solidus Snake presumably being involved in the funding.[19] During this time, he aided Solidus, helping him to go into hiding after the Patriots had planned to kill him. In order to fool the Patriots, Ocelot began to utilize a combination of psychotherapy, drugs, hypnosis, and nanomachines to become a mental doppelgänger with Liquid's personality within him and only manifesting it every time he and Solid Snake were in close proximity to make it look like spiritual possession.

MGS wiki says that

Jindrax

Yeah, which makes The Sorrow theory for his channeling of Liquid hold water. To be fair, it's not like I got all that info by myself. It's been years and years of video watching and wiki scrolling.

Yeah that's what I thought after MGS3. But I'm 90% sure BB said in MGS4 he was using nanomachines and drugs from the start

But was Liquid Ocelot really Ocelot preteding to be Liquid or was he messed up to the point he didn't think he was Ocelot anymore?

The way I understood it the dude really thought it. That's why you see him slowly turning back to Ocelot during the end fight.

Pinewood

The way I understood it the dude really thought it. That's why you see him slowly turning back to Ocelot during the end fight.

MGS is full of tragic stories. Snake, BB, Ocelot, Raiden, Miller, Gray Fox.

So was Ocelot in the end loyal to Big Boss and his mission?

Yeah that's what I thought after MGS3. But I'm 90% sure BB said in MGS4 he was using nanomachines and drugs from the start

By 2007, Liquid's personality had been implanted into Revolver Ocelot's mind. However, the presence of Liquid's transplanted arm resulted in an imbalance in Ocelot's psyche, resulting in Liquid manifesting sporadically. Liquid's personality presumably achieved full control over Ocelot's mind in 2009. Meanwhile, Liquid's corpse was stolen by Solid Snake to fake his own death in 2007[14] and eventually ended up interred and later exhumed for DNA testing, which was mistakenly used to verify Snake's death in 2009.[15]

By 2014, Liquid's persona had completely fused with Revolver Ocelot's and created the new entity Liquid Ocelot despite the replacement of his transplanted arm with a cybernetic prosthesis. Being his doppelgänger, Ocelot retained Liquid's ambitions to set off to bring about his own vision of Outer Heaven as well as the destruction of the Patriots. During this time, a DNA chip containing Liquid's genome was used by Ocelot during a failed attempt to hack into the SOP system. Meanwhile, EVA used body parts from Liquid and Solidus to reconstruct Big Boss. Liquid's likeness, alongside that of his brothers and father, was later displayed in a Mt. Rushmore-like feature on Outer Haven's hull, at Shadow Moses Island. Liquid's persona ultimately faded away during Ocelot's final battle with Solid Snake.

He removed the arm and replaced it with a cybernetic one. It was a real arm in the MGS2. You can see it fleshy looking in 2 and very clearly cybernetic in 4. I'll respond better when I get a chance but I'm at work, then going to the gym, then heading to San Antonio for PAX South!

Yes, he was! Though his main goal was just destroying The Patriots. Which, like I mentioned, he did by exploiting The Patriots AI algorithm. They knew Solid beat Liquid after Shadow Moses, that's why the S3 mimicked Shadow Moses in MGS2. Ocelot needed to see if they'd send Snake again, as Snake was the only one who could defeat The Patriots... but he had to do it unwittingly?

I'm explaining this poorly. I need more time.

Jindrax

But was Liquid Ocelot really Ocelot preteding to be Liquid or was he messed up to the point he didn't think he was Ocelot anymore?

I'm going to say yes. He got Snake to free the world from the Patriots control, and brought BB back to life. All though what Big Boss says in his dying moments, probably isn't what Ocelot thought he was fighting for.

Jindrax

By 2007, Liquid's personality had been implanted into Revolver Ocelot's mind. However, the presence of Liquid's transplanted arm resulted in an imbalance in Ocelot's psyche, resulting in Liquid manifesting sporadically. Liquid's personality presumably achieved full control over Ocelot's mind in 2009. Meanwhile, Liquid's corpse was stolen by Solid Snake to fake his own death in 2007[14] and eventually ended up interred and later exhumed for DNA testing, which was mistakenly used to verify Snake's death in 2009.[15]

By 2014, Liquid's persona had completely fused with Revolver Ocelot's and created the new entity Liquid Ocelot despite the replacement of his transplanted arm with a cybernetic prosthesis. Being his doppelgänger, Ocelot retained Liquid's ambitions to set off to bring about his own vision of Outer Heaven as well as the destruction of the Patriots. During this time, a DNA chip containing Liquid's genome was used by Ocelot during a failed attempt to hack into the SOP system. Meanwhile, EVA used body parts from Liquid and Solidus to reconstruct Big Boss. Liquid's likeness, alongside that of his brothers and father, was later displayed in a Mt. Rushmore-like feature on Outer Haven's hull, at Shadow Moses Island. Liquid's persona ultimately faded away during Ocelot's final battle with Solid Snake.

The bit about the arm seems to be correct. But it fails to mention what BB said about the drugs psychotherapy and nanomachines...

EDIT: Damnit double post

The bit about the arm seems to be correct. But it fails to mention what BB said about the drugs psychotherapy and nanomachines...

EDIT: Damnit double post

Hahaha, of all the doubles to post. Yeah, when I finally put all the little intricacies together, like last year, it really put Ocelot in the position of one of the coolest characters in ANY story to me. I'm so in love with this series.

Pinewood

You know what bothers me though? EVA jumping in the flames in MGS4. I mean, she knew that wasn't Big Boss, if she rebuilt the real Big Boss...

Jindrax

Ocelot for me is the second coolest... Big Boss is numero uno.
But Ocelot is so cool, nobody ever knows what he's really up to, who side he's on xD
And he always seems to know what's really going on.
Also he gave the post credit conversation.

Mr. Director

TURUM TUM TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM

Lernaean

Banned
irked me earlier but the video gives a much better explanation, he's not a coder highlighting lines of code.

I was at work, so i didn't watch what Kojima was doing at the Koji Station. I just meant it wasn't unfamiliar or unprecedented to him to work directly on the game, responding to strafer on whether Kojima is working on the game himself. Hope that clears this up.

Btw, i gotta watch that MGS4 video as well :p

Edit: That's the article in question btw. It's about the last days of MGS2's development and it's worth a read.

Timeaisis

Hahaha, of all the doubles to post. Yeah, when I finally put all the little intricacies together, like last year, it really put Ocelot in the position of one of the coolest characters in ANY story to me. I'm so in love with this series.

Well, that and he triple crosses everyone, with the exception of Big Boss. After that is revealed at 4, it makes you appreciate the character a lot. He's gone through so many things to accomplish a goal, joined sides, changed his body, his personality, started wars, etc. just to protect his mentor.

If you think back to MGS1, he wanted Big Boss's body, but not for Liquid, for Solidus. Which, actually, he was just playing Solidus and working for the Pats all along, but wait...no he wasn't he was working for the Patriots as a double agent who was working with EVA to protect BB and bring the Patriots down from the inside. It's why he adopts the Liquid persona to begin with, so the Pats don't see him as a threat from the inside, but as a completely new enemy altogether. Which he's not. They are dumb computers, AFTER ALL.

Anytime I say the phrase "after all" I do the Liquid Ocelot intonation like in MGS4

Jindrax

You know what bothers me though? EVA jumping in the flames in MGS4. I mean, she knew that wasn't Big Boss, if she rebuilt the real Big Boss...

It's been 6 years and that never occured to me xD.
What bothers me the most is that the happy support cast of MGS3 turns into the Empire of Evilness with Zero at it's helm.

I mean paramadic is a super sweet girl, would waifu, and she turns into THE EVIL DR CLARK.
Sigint is a joker who turns into DARPA CHIEF.
And Zero didn't even like... say anything remotely evil during the entire ordeal.
And how did he find about The Boss' true mission? Nobody knew except Snake, Eva and the DCI. Did they just blab to everyone?

What's the Sorrow Theory? I've never heard that.

I just mean the fact that The Sorrow is Ocelot's father with The Boss. He had natural spiritual awareness, which would make Liquid's "ghost" in a position to take control. So, as The Sorrow could talk to ghosts and could communicate as a ghost himself, Ocelot was born with more innate abilities for it.

NeoGiff

Ocelot for me is the second coolest... Big Boss is numero uno.
But Ocelot is so cool, nobody ever knows what he's really up to, who side he's on xD
And he always seems to know what's really going on.
Also he gave the post credit conversation.

Mr. Director

TURUM TUM TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM

My thoughts exactly. And the ending to that post-credits conversation cracks me up so much every time. BAAAAAA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM

Also, DuckButtCockHat, any chance I could be added to the GAF-REX?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
What bothers me the most is that the happy support cast of MGS3 turns into the Empire of Evilness with Zero at it's helm.

I mean paramadic is a super sweet girl, would waifu, and she turns into THE EVIL DR CLARK.
And Zero didn't even like... say anything remotely evil during the entire ordeal.
And how did he find about The Boss' true mission? Nobody knew except Snake, Eva and the DCI. Did they just blab to everyone?

there's a whole radio call with para-medic in 3 where she goes on about cloning big boss and how his genes will become valuable. it's a pretty neat foreshadow.
but either way, none of those were evil in MGS3, same as how Naked Snake wasn't the child-murdering, war-mongering psycho he eventually became in MG1. Using MGS3 as an example is pretty weird. And from what we saw on MGS:pW, and GZ, the Patriots certainly went slowly off the deep end while gaining absolute power.

Timeaisis

I just mean the fact that The Sorrow is Ocelot's father with The Boss. He had natural spiritual awareness, which would make Liquid's "ghost" in a position to take control. So, as The Sorrow could talk to ghosts and could communicate as a ghost himself, Ocelot was born with more innate abilities for it.

Ah, gotcha. I had never considered that, but it makes sense.

JayEH

Woah, almost tripped and fell in a plot hole there.

Also, DuckButtCockHat, any chance I could be added to the GAF-REX?

That's Dolan Duck Butt Cock Hat for you. :D

Of course, you'll be added in the next update. In like 5 hours or so. There are already a bunch of other people who want to join on that release date hype thread.

Pinewood

there's a whole radio call with para-medic in 3 where she goes on about cloning big boss and how his genes will become valuable. it's a pretty neat foreshadow.
but either way, none of those were evil in MGS3, same as how Naked Snake wasn't the child-murdering, war-mongering psycho he eventually became in MG1. Using MGS3 as an example is pretty weird. And from what we saw on MGS:pW, and GZ, the Patriots certainly went slowly off the deep end while gaining absolute power.

Im not sure I want to play MG1 now. BB pls. :(

From the MGS4 video "The game has a serious tone this time around, so we brought Sunny in to brighten the mood".
Thatsgood.gif

So given the latest tweets and yong's ports potty vid, it seems that the gz suit is a skin and nothing more what with the lack of horn and robot arm. Yet he goes on about being painstakingly detailed when it comes to adjustments during the final production time.

I don't know bout y'all, but I'm already sick of bb's idle stance. The hunched over back and bent knees.....if your ocd enough to have your dev team animate snake going in and out of a porta potty when the bulk of everything is done then why not make his stancing contextual. Its jarring to me when the dude is in a constant state of caution mode in an open world where there are areas where clearly no enemies are around. Or better yet when you're at mother base.

For that matter, why is it that no one in the metal gear universe is able to lock their knees?

After watching that MGS4 Docu, it's pretty easy to see why they don't want to say a release date yet. I'm sure there's an internal date of course, that they want to hit, but I wonder how many revisions it may go through being the size it is at.

Also sort of sad to see how he wants to step away from Metal Gear, but then is clearly still making them.

Metal Gear Community, here is an avatar present for you. I was browsing a little bit and photoshopping a little bit. Half of those are Big Boss in all his glory. Take what you like. All pixel art. Because everyone loves pixel art. Right? Right!?

jplfniya.png
c9it4wza.png
uom6qffs.png
s8hv44op.png
nhbh4yf4.png
u5mrhjdx.png

vpohj4zd.png
i39uf2dn.png
iq9rwcpp.png
zww7hjnv.png
rlya3nog.png
glqjk4p5.png

Also, if anyone on the Hype Rex changes her/his avatar with either on of these or whatever one. I still can easily replace the avatar on the Hype Rex. No worries.

rekameohs

Banned
So I had been giving updates for someone coming into this series completely blind, starting with Metal Gear on MSX and going all the way through. I was at MGS3 (specifically, right around meeting Granin), but other things came to my attention, other games came out, etc, so I put MGS on hold.

Well I went back, started it over, and ran through recently and it was the shit. Great game. I liked the new health system quite a bit, as well as the more expansive environments. Something that really impressed me were the boss fights. The End was a really fun fight, and though it was really easy in my opinion, it was a great subversion of the typical boss. The Boss herself was one that was interesting because I played it a handful of times and got my ass handed to me, thinking that the fight itself was cheap. Then I came back to it the next night, took things a little more methodically, and beat her the first try. It's like her little teachings were working. :O

The story is still fucking bonkers at this point and the anachronism is pretty hilarious especially in this one (Kojima just really had to get a RotJ speeder bike chase homage in a 60's period piece, didn't he?). It's basically endearing at this point, just take the ridiculousness for what it's worth. The core story of 3 was....eh, mainly because characters like Volgin and EVA just weren't that interesting to me, but the relationship between Snake and The Boss was well written. I didn't really post any thoughts about the story of MGS2, but the way it smashed the fourth wall to smithereens was executed pretty well. The absurdity really worked in that one's favor well.

The best part about this series to me is how each game basically excels in a different field. MGS1 might just be the best pure "game" thus far, and certainly has the best standalone story. MGS2 is a very well put together satire on video games and sequels in general. Playing MGS2 right after playing stome VR Missions because the Raiden character did the same thing. And then MGS3 finally makes the best use of the stealth abilities that Snake has, and has some interesting, if simple, messages about the soldier's role in war. If nothing else, I totally want to do a replay of these games sometime once I'm caught up, mainly because of the crazy attention to detail on things. I really have no idea what my "favorite" would be since each one is so different and enjoyable for different reasons.

Btw, The Legacy Collection has been one of the best gaming deals ever. Gad damn.

Metal Gear Community, here is an avatar present for you. I was browsing a little bit and photoshopping a little bit. Half of those are Big Boss in all his glory. Take what you like. All pixel art. Because everyone loves pixel art. Right? Right!?

jplfniya.png
c9it4wza.png
uom6qffs.png
s8hv44op.png
nhbh4yf4.png
u5mrhjdx.png

vpohj4zd.png
i39uf2dn.png
iq9rwcpp.png
zww7hjnv.png
rlya3nog.png
glqjk4p5.png

Also, if anyone on the Hype Rex changes her/his avatar with either on of these or whatever one. I still can easily replace the avatar on the Hype Rex. No worries.

DUDE! These are beautiful!! I may take the Mistral avatar!

jplfniya.png
c9it4wza.png
uom6qffs.png
s8hv44op.png
nhbh4yf4.png
u5mrhjdx.png

vpohj4zd.png
i39uf2dn.png
iq9rwcpp.png
zww7hjnv.png
rlya3nog.png
glqjk4p5.png

OMG these are the tits.

Jindrax

jplfniya.png
c9it4wza.png
uom6qffs.png
s8hv44op.png
nhbh4yf4.png
u5mrhjdx.png

vpohj4zd.png
i39uf2dn.png
iq9rwcpp.png
zww7hjnv.png
rlya3nog.png
glqjk4p5.png

BROOOTHEEUUUUURRRRRRRRR
Can I request a special blonde Big Boss? ( that's way cooler than Snake 911's Big Boss)

JayEH

So I had been giving updates for someone coming into this series completely blind, starting with Metal Gear on MSX and going all the way through. I was at MGS3 (specifically, right around meeting Granin), but other things came to my attention, other games came out, etc, so I put MGS on hold.

Well I went back, started it over, and ran through recently and it was the shit. Great game. I liked the new health system quite a bit, as well as the more expansive environments. Something that really impressed me were the boss fights. The End was a really fun fight, and though it was really easy in my opinion, it was a great subversion of the typical boss. The Boss herself was one that was interesting because I played it a handful of times and got my ass handed to me, thinking that the fight itself was cheap. Then I came back to it the next night, took things a little more methodically, and beat her the first try. It's like her little teachings were working. :O

The story is still fucking bonkers at this point and the anachronism is pretty hilarious especially in this one (Kojima just really had to get a RotJ speeder bike chase homage in a 60's period piece, didn't he?). It's basically endearing at this point, just take the ridiculousness for what it's worth. The core story of 3 was....eh, mainly because characters like Volgin and EVA just weren't that interesting to me, but the relationship between Snake and The Boss was well written. I didn't really post any thoughts about the story of MGS2, but the way it smashed the fourth wall to smithereens was executed pretty well. The absurdity really worked in that one's favor well.

The best part about this series to me is how each game basically excels in a different field. MGS1 might just be the best pure "game" thus far, and certainly has the best standalone story. MGS2 is a very well put together satire on video games and sequels in general. Playing MGS2 right after playing stome VR Missions because the Raiden character did the same thing. And then MGS3 finally makes the best use of the stealth abilities that Snake has, and has some interesting, if simple, messages about the soldier's role in war. If nothing else, I totally want to do a replay of these games sometime once I'm caught up, mainly because of the crazy attention to detail on things. I really have no idea what my "favorite" would be since each one is so different and enjoyable for different reasons.

Btw, The Legacy Collection has been one of the best gaming deals ever. Gad damn.

Thanks for the update. Always great to hear from people playing their first time through. My favorite part of the series is also how each game is different. You rarely see games within a series feel completely different from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom