• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Woah could this mean cross-play? :O

Also i love the 2nd answer from MGO. People can be so stupid....

2015-01-2413_00_05-me4hazo.png

NCell

Woah could this mean cross-play? :O

Also i love the 2nd answer from MGO. People can be so stupid....

2015-01-2413_00_05-me4hazo.png

That'sjust not possible, you can't have some players running a game with lower graphics and less fps against better graphics with higher fps, how could the server possibly sync every player?

Vally

That'sjust not possible, you can't have some players running a game with lower graphics and less fps against better graphics with higher fps, how could the server possibly sync every player?

If that was the case people playing on PC couldn't play against each other since each player has different graphics settings and fps

SJRB

Gold Member

I think the real question is why they should waste valuable time and resources on such a gimmick, especially considering Ground Zeroes' sales numbers.

Sn4ke_911

Need context.

Were the lag gen sales shitty?

Not really.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes for PS3 the 19th best selling game of 2014 in Japan

Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu published a list with the top 100 best selling games in Japan in 2014. We can see the PlayStation 3 version of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes at number 19, having sold just over a quarter million copies, 260.852 to be exact.

A bit lower, at number 48 is the PlayStation 4 version, with 144.798 sold copies. It’s the best selling PlayStation 4 game in Japan aside from Knack, which came bundled with the system (there seems to be a small inconsistency with earlier released sales data on the game, but perhaps they numbers have been readjusted for accuracy).

NCell

If that was the case people playing on PC couldn't play against each other since each player has different graphics settings and fps

No because PC architecture is different, you offer the same mechanics with different graphical options, while on consoles you lock the framrate for example. Imagine a corner where a PS3 and a PS4 players meet, the PS4 will have the obvious advantage of seeing him 30 frames faster and controlling aim with double the accuracy, it would never be fair

Jindrax

No because PC architecture is different, you offer the same mechanics with different graphical options, while on consoles you lock the framrate for example. Imagine a corner where a PS3 and a PS4 players meet, the PS4 will have the obvious advantage of seeing him 30 frames faster and controlling aim with double the accuracy, it would never be fair

So?
Takes CS for example, I play that game on 299 fps ( max ), while my buddy Dave plays it on 30-40. We're still playing together holmes!

NCell

So?
Takes CS for example, I play that game on 299 fps ( max ), while my buddy Dave plays it on 30-40. We're still playing together holmes!

Take CS for example and tell me what happened when they said PS3 players would play against PC players

Jindrax

Take CS for example and tell me what happened when they said PS3 players would play against PC players

yeah they'd get rekt since console - aim assist vs mouse is certain death.
Using FPS as an argument doesn't mean anything.

SFV will have PC - PS4 crossplay. I have no doubt that a pc can run that on a way higher FPS than a console.

Do the guards actually physically move around the map? Because 100% of the time on Hard whenever I reach Chico, two guards will come meandering down the road and just stand exactly where you need to go, and I have no idea where they were before that. The game is just constantly placing enemies in exactly the right spots to force you to wait the minute you get there or find a new route entirely. It's common for stealth games to change guard behavior or positions after a scripted event, but as far as these guys know, nothing has happened. The game is just changing up guard locations for the sake of messing with you, and it's not an organic "change shifts," they're clearly moving guards around to obstruct the player. The guard that appears facing left after the Paz cutscene, for example. For some reason this guy has superhuman hearing and reactions and will immediately alert if you do anything other than creep. He's the only guard I've ever seen who can alert before you can grab him. I have no idea why. Then as soon as you exit the underground area and get past the camera, there's a guard waiting at the door looking right at you, and you have to just wait for him to get up on the walkway or else he'll spot you.

It gets very frustrating needing to use retries because the game places a guard in a vital spot and I have to find the exact right pattern (wait for guard to walk up stairs then walk under him) and right spot to stand (behind the boxes, not behind the radiators) or else he'll spot me.The guards are programmed to wander (or appear in) into specific areas and do specific things that make no logical sense, but clearly make things more difficult for the player. It sounds odd to criticize a stealth game because the guards are "in the player's way," but there's just something about the way this game does it that is significantly more frustrating and inexplicable than it ever was in MGS3, Splinter Cell, any stealth game I've played at all. Probably because this game has no actual "stealth" mechanic like camo or shadows and you can't use distractions on no weapons, so your only option is to lie prone and wait when guards are where you don't want them to be.
Go the other way up the stairs after you get Paz. You Can sneak behind the guard going up the stairs and then hold him up. Wait for the guard at the door to turn around and walk out, sneak through the door and hold him up. Now stay to the right if the main gate and just wait until your out of vision if the guards and spotlight and make your way to extraction point where the missions started.

NCell

yeah they'd get rekt since console - aim assist vs mouse is certain death.
Using FPS as an argument doesn't mean anything.

SFV will have PC - PS4 crossplay. I have no doubt that a pc can run that on a way higher FPS than a console.

What? No, they couldn't patch both the PS3 and PC 'cause they had different problems, and Street Fighter will lock the framerate, it's a fighting game!

Dawg

Skull Face wanting revenge on both Zero and Big Boss implies, to me, he might have been involved in an operation where Naked Snake still worked for Zero.

Could be wrong, but that would explain why he wants both of them, no?

Skullface

Skull Face wanting revenge on both Zero and Big Boss implies, to me, he might have been involved in an operation where Naked Snake still worked for Zero.

Could be wrong, but that would explain why he wants both of them, no?

My guess is that it had to do with yet to be exposed previous operations. Skull Face implies that he was once a comrade of Big Boss, no?

Jindrax

What? No, they couldn't patch both the PS3 and PC 'cause they had different problems, and Street Fighter will lock the framerate, it's a fighting game!

In what world do you live where you think you can lock FPS on a pc game?
That will literally last 2days before it's unlocked.

And secondly your argument is based on a difference is FPS, please refrain from introducing new factors every time you reply.

I will repeat the problem in crossplatform play is not the difference in FPS between platforms. There's a whole bunch of other problems that cause that to be an issue.

Dawg

My guess is that it had to do with yet to be exposed previous operations. Skull Face implies that he was once a comrade of Big Boss, no?

Yeah, kinda feels that way. I'd say he is almost... obsessed with Big Boss?

Wouldn't Big Boss recognize his voice though? From the voice tapes? If he DID work together with him in the past?

Skullface

Yeah, kinda feels that way. I'd say he is almost... obsessed with Big Boss?

Like Ocelot? :smug face:

I don't know... You are right, but the question becomes this: Is Big Boss actually listening to the tapes, or is it strictly for the player's benefit? Is there a story component to Big Boss hearing the tapes? All but one are optional.

Juicy Bob

My theory based on nothing at all is that Skull Face is a former FOX operative like Naked Snake once was but was either overlooked for the Virtuous Mission or sent somewhere else where it went wrong and he ended up scarred.

Maybe he was another disciple of the Boss too? I don't know, I've literally only just caught up with the series...

Skullface

My theory based on nothing at all is that Skull Face is a former FOX operative like Naked Snake once was but was either overlooked for the Virtuous Mission or sent somewhere else where it went wrong and he ended up scarred.

Maybe he was another disciple of the Boss too? I don't know, I've literally only just caught up with the series...

Skull Face got rekt as a kid. Won't go into the details because spoilers, but that's a fact.

Pinewood

He said he was a child when he got burned though. That face is kinda hard to forget (although all the prisoners did, so go figure).

Or it might be a "Do you know how I got these scaarss?" thing, where he tells everyone a different story.

Skullface

He said he was a child when he got burned though. That face is kinda hard to forget (although all the prisoners did, so go figure).

Or it might be a "Do you know how I got these scaarss?" thing, where he tells everyone a different story.

The text that I put in bold... Wut?

Damn, class is about start. Later dudez. I'll be lurking.

NCell

In what world do you live where you think you can lock FPS on a pc game?
That will literally last 2days before it's unlocked.

And secondly your argument is based on a difference is FPS, please refrain from introducing new factors every time you reply.

I will repeat the problem in crossplatform play is not the difference in FPS between platforms. There's a whole bunch of other problems that cause that to be an issue.

Where did I introduce new factors? And why are you limiting what arguments I use? FPS, for me, is one of them, as is the whole different bugs between different consoles. It's just not practical and unfair for players.

Jindrax

*Sigh*

This is your post that I'm refuting.
Every single post that follows in reply to your has to do with this.
I'm pointing out that your argument claiming that a difference in FPS is what makes cross platform not viable, is not correct.

How do I do this? By pointing out that a difference in FPS is already prevalent on the PC platform itself, and yet gameplay between these people is still achieved. Whether it to be fair or not, is to be determined by objective criteria.

Your response to me pointing out the error in your judgement it this:

This is where you introduce new factors that are irrelevant to your original post.
They do not refute my argument that a difference in FPS is already present on the PC platform, yet the games remain playable. Nor do they give your original post any more value.

Now following this quick but effective lesson in argumentation, I would kindly ask you to refrain from replying unless you have anything of value to say that would refute my original statement, or add value to your first post.
Thank you

And in the eternal words of Marshal Erickson

1JyRRns.jpg

NCell

You gave the example of CS and I asked you what happened to cross platform CS:GO to which you replied that the PS3 gamers would be "rekt", which was not the case. Valve stated that cross-platform would prevent them from patching PC and PS3 and the same time. This is not "introducing new factors" it's a reply to an ignorant response from you. Furthermore we clearly disagree on the FPS factor. You then gave the example of SFV, again a poor example since you clearly don't understand how fighting games and combos and hit detection works based on FPS. A SF online match will be played at the exact same framerate as the lowest of both players. So if P1 has 80FPS and P2 has 15 FPS, the match will be played at 15 FPS, hence why I said they would lock the framerate.
You chose to focus on my FPS argument to which I didn't say it would be impossible but would be unfair. I think it would be impossible for MGO3 to be cross-gen because I think it will work the same as a fighting game, the same animations being played at different framerates will be hard to sync server-side and it would lead to "glitchy" movement very similar to what happened on MGO2.

Dawg

Like Ocelot? :smug face:

I don't know... You are right, but the question becomes this: Is Big Boss actually listening to the tapes, or is it strictly for the player's benefit? Is there a story component to Big Boss hearing the tapes? All but one are optional.

Big Boss is listening to them. I say this because Skull Face revealed he left the tapes at the base on purpose. He wanted Big Boss to listen to them. He wanted him to know.

Sn4ke_911

Haha you are amazing System Error.

Why is Chinner kissing me on the nose? or are we doing a staring contest? :lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I finally finished MGS4 yesterday, i totally get now why it's a divisive title in gaf's history even tough it won that's year GOTY. I personally enjoyed it a lot even after i got spoiled for most of the biggest moments.....but man i think that game contains more cutscenes than gameplay. I think MGS4 is a nice end for the series so it's crazy that we are getting Metal Gear solid V, specially since we kinda know what should happen thanks to 4, not that i'm complaining.

Jindrax

Now following this quick but effective lesson in argumentation, I would kindly ask you to refrain from replying unless you have anything of value to say that would refute my original statement, or add value to your first post.
Thank you

I'm sorry? Was this not clear?

Seriously last lesson. And actually read what I'm saying this time your responses are just embarrassing.

This was your explanation why Cross Platform would not be possible:

Out of this reasoning the logical inference is that cross play PS3-PS4 is not viable since there's a difference in FPS. (3)

Which I pointed out to be rubbish since on the PC everyone has a different FPS and it's playable.
Now put on your seatbelt:

You gave the example of CS and I asked you what happened to cross platform CS:GO to which you replied that the PS3 gamers would be "rekt", which was not the case. Valve stated that cross-platform would prevent them from patching PC and PS3 and the same time. This is not "introducing new factors" it's a reply to an ignorant response from you. (1) Furthermore we clearly disagree on the FPS factor. You then gave the example of SFV, again a poor example since you clearly don't understand how fighting games and combos and hit detection works based on FPS. A SF online match will be played at the exact same framerate as the lowest of both players. So if P1 has 80FPS and P2 has 15 FPS, the match will be played at 15 FPS, hence why I said they would lock the framerate. (2)
You chose to focus on my FPS argument (3) to which I didn't say it would be impossible but would be unfair. I think it would be impossible for MGO3 to be cross-gen because I think it will work the same as a fighting game, the same animations being played at different framerates will be hard to sync server-side and it would lead to "glitchy" movement very similar to what happened on MGO2.

(1): This is obviously a joke pointing out that console players have no skill since an fps is almost unplayable without any form of aim assist. That this passed over your head it quite amusing? Secondly it is introducing new elements. How does that refute my argument that a difference in FPS makes no difference? It's a cheap way to make yourself look intelligent by bringing in new facts that add no value to your original argument.

(2): You're joking? So you're telling me that SF IV on pc has a magic detection system to detect what fps both players are playing and sync it and then lock it the lowest of both?
This argument just refutes itself I'm not even going to bother explaining that you're just inventing nonsense as you go a long.
The only system they have in place is to detect the latency between players and slow the game down. That's all.

(3): see introduction.

You notice how I refute every single argument you put on the table? And not just select a few or a sentence? Do you also see how mine are based on facts and I don't invent things?

Now you've embarrassed yourself enough now. Also I suggest you consider some form of higher education since your level of reading and argumentation is appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom