• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little update:

846d30d.png
to
zc2bixsp.png

not enough place for "Dogs", but as an avatar "Diamond Dog" might be better than "Diamond Dogs" anyway.

sexyelder

It's funny, the original Phantom Pain Trailer at the VGAs was what got me into Metal Gear. Since then ive played most of the games and know nearly everything 1964-2014. And the game still isnt out yet -_-

It's funny, the original Phantom Pain Trailer at the VGAs was what got me into Metal Gear. Since then ive played most of the games and know nearly everything 1964-2014. And the game still isnt out yet -_-

I've been a Metal Gear fan since MGS2. I was 12 when it released in the States. Despite the (unwarranted) backlash Sons of Liberty incurred, it's what solely won me over to the series. In fact, the Metal Gear series is one of the few game franchises I can actually play without growing bored.

You did good brother! See that the story is pretty straight forward? And people complaining it's too complicated is a load of shit... KH on the other hand makes my head hurt but I love the games lol

I tried to do Ground Zeroes with no shots. Even holding people up, I have never seen a stealth game so meticulously designed to screw the player over at every opportunity. The game teleports guards around with each scripted event so you can't create a safe route beforehand and has enemies patrol areas and spots that the developers know players will be going through, yet in-game makes no sense. I tried to take Paz to the spot where you generally rescue Chico, where I had already disabled all of the guards, and the game had already spawned another guard, woke them up, and had them investigate the area. I specifically made sure to hide and then hold up the guards that would have been a problem, yet the game simply disagrees with that and wakes them up while I'm off somewhere else.

I tried to do Ground Zeroes with no shots. Even holding people up, I have never seen a stealth game so meticulously designed to screw the player over at every opportunity. The game teleports guards around with each scripted event so you can't create a safe route beforehand and has enemies patrol areas and spots that the developers know players will be going through, yet in-game makes no sense. I tried to take Paz to the spot where you generally rescue Chico, where I had already disabled all of the guards, and the game had already spawned another guard, woke them up, and had them investigate the area. I specifically made sure to hide and then hold up the guards that would have been a problem, yet the game simply disagrees with that and wakes them up while I'm off somewhere else.

nope. there are specific moments in the game where the guards change shifts, you, the player need to adapt to these moments. there is no spawning or whatever else you're going on about. the game is not unfair at all. try again bro

You know, I was thinking, Kojima is a sneaky devil, and with the recent P.T demo that was released to reveal the Silent Hills game, how cool would it be to have an 'update' to Ground Zeroes, that had a new mission (or slightly different standard mission) where players had to do something that would ultimately reveal the release date for TPP?

Maybe it's the beer talking but I think that would be an awesome way to reveal it

nope. there are specific moments in the game where the guards change shifts, you, the player need to adapt to these moments. there is no spawning or whatever else you're going on about. the game is not unfair at all. try again bro

Do the guards actually physically move around the map? Because 100% of the time on Hard whenever I reach Chico, two guards will come meandering down the road and just stand exactly where you need to go, and I have no idea where they were before that. The game is just constantly placing enemies in exactly the right spots to force you to wait the minute you get there or find a new route entirely. It's common for stealth games to change guard behavior or positions after a scripted event, but as far as these guys know, nothing has happened. The game is just changing up guard locations for the sake of messing with you, and it's not an organic "change shifts," they're clearly moving guards around to obstruct the player. The guard that appears facing left after the Paz cutscene, for example. For some reason this guy has superhuman hearing and reactions and will immediately alert if you do anything other than creep. He's the only guard I've ever seen who can alert before you can grab him. I have no idea why. Then as soon as you exit the underground area and get past the camera, there's a guard waiting at the door looking right at you, and you have to just wait for him to get up on the walkway or else he'll spot you.

It gets very frustrating needing to use retries because the game places a guard in a vital spot and I have to find the exact right pattern (wait for guard to walk up stairs then walk under him) and right spot to stand (behind the boxes, not behind the radiators) or else he'll spot me.The guards are programmed to wander (or appear in) into specific areas and do specific things that make no logical sense, but clearly make things more difficult for the player. It sounds odd to criticize a stealth game because the guards are "in the player's way," but there's just something about the way this game does it that is significantly more frustrating and inexplicable than it ever was in MGS3, Splinter Cell, any stealth game I've played at all. Probably because this game has no actual "stealth" mechanic like camo or shadows and you can't use distractions on no weapons, so your only option is to lie prone and wait when guards are where you don't want them to be.

Rajang

The guards change their shift usually after you've completed an objective. This never happens randomly, so they dont teleport around the map just to mess with you. In the main mission of Ground Zeroes they change their shift in the following moments: after you find Chico in his cell, after you extract Chico and after you find Paz. If you replay GZ many times you will get used to the AI patrols and the shift changes.

I understand why they did it, to put more pressure on you and make it more tense while trying to extract Paz/Chico. If you have already tranqed half the map you can just casually finish the missions. I think they want to have players improvise as they go. Like the truck that is being parked for a brief moment right after you've extracted Chico. That truck can get you inside the admin building if you hide in the back.

The guard that appears facing left after the Paz cutscene, for example. For some reason this guy has superhuman hearing and reactions and will immediately alert if you do anything other than creep. He's the only guard I've ever seen who can alert before you can grab him. I have no idea why.

Your footsteps make more sound when you are inside the admin building. How is that strange? That guy is no different than the other soldiers. I remember one time where I was rushing down the stairs inside the admin building and I forgot that there was a guard right around the corner who normally walks away from my position but he heard my footsteps because I am came running, he then faced my direction and I got spotted. Nothing to do with superhuman hearing.

Every guard will hear you if you run at them, especially inside where your footsteps are louder and echo.

Then as soon as you exit the underground area and get past the camera, there's a guard waiting at the door looking right at you, and you have to just wait for him to get up on the walkway or else he'll spot you. It gets very frustrating needing to use retries because the game places a guard in a vital spot and I have to find the exact right pattern (wait for guard to walk up stairs then walk under him) and right spot to stand (behind the boxes, not behind the radiators) or else he'll spot me.

What I do is crouch to the right of those radiators and headshot him. I've never waited for him to go up the stairs. And ofcourse he is going to see you when he is facing you, on Hard the enemies actually have realistic vision.

The guards are programmed to wander (or appear in) into specific areas and do specific things that make no logical sense, but clearly make things more difficult for the player. It sounds odd to criticize a stealth game because the guards are "in the player's way," but there's just something about the way this game does it that is significantly more frustrating and inexplicable than it ever was in MGS3, Splinter Cell, any stealth game I've played at all. Probably because this game has no actual "stealth" mechanic like camo or shadows and you can't use distractions on no weapons, so your only option is to lie prone and wait when guards are where you don't want them to be.

That's not true, you can distract enemies in many ways. Magazines, smoke grenades, gunshots, letting them call other enemies etc. You can be very creative, I even used C4 to distract enemies at one point. Try it yourself. Plant a C4 around the area with the guards that are giving you trouble and then detonate it. They will radio it in and send units that are closest to the blast, leaving a whole area unguarded.

I know the guards change shifts at scripted points, that's exactly what I was saying. The game shuffles guards around and has them investigate areas in ways deliberately designed to disrupt the player. It's not dynamic, it's scripted. It bugs me because other stealth games typically have guards investigating because something happens in a cutscene or some other event, not because the game knows you're going to go that way, but there's absolutely no logical reason for guards to meander that way and stare exactly where you need to go. It feels transparent and frustrating.

And I noticed the footsteps sound louder, but I can't tell if they actually are louder to the AI. I'm saying that typically an enemy will hear you if you crouch-walk but don't sneak, but you'll still have time to grab him and it won't count as an alert. For some reason even if you try to grab this guy, he still gets off an alert, or at least gives me the "trial failed" message But I figured out it's easier and faster just to sneak with your pistol out than try to grab people as long as there's only one. Just a lot of bad luck and bad timing trying to figure it out.

I said I was doing no weapons, I can't do any of those things. It's a trial. It's just this challenge that's ridiculous, on a mission as densely-guarded as Ground Zeroes.

I know the guards change shifts at scripted points, that's exactly what I was saying. The game shuffles guards around and has them investigate areas in ways deliberately designed to disrupt the player. It's not dynamic, it's scripted. It bugs me because other stealth games typically have guards investigating because something happens in a cutscene or some other event, not because the game knows you're going to go that way, but there's absolutely no logical reason for guards to meander that way and stare exactly where you need to go. It feels transparent and frustrating.

And I noticed the footsteps sound louder, but I can't tell if they actually are louder to the AI. I'm saying that typically an enemy will hear you if you crouch-walk but don't sneak, but you'll still have time to grab him and it won't count as an alert. For some reason even if you try to grab this guy, he still gets off an alert, or at least gives me the "trial failed" message But I figured out it's easier and faster just to sneak with your pistol out than try to grab people as long as there's only one. Just a lot of bad luck and bad timing trying to figure it out.

I said I was doing no weapons, I can't do any of those things. It's a trial. It's just this challenge that's ridiculous, on a mission as densely-guarded as Ground Zeroes.

sooooo...you're complaining that an admittedly difficult task that's not supposed to be easy is difficult? ok!

Has anyone else interrogated Glaz and Palitz in "Eliminate the Renegade Threat" in Ground Zeroes?

When you interrogate Palitz, he says, "A phantom comes..."

Subsequently, when you interrogate Glaz, he asks, "Are you a phantom too?"

Additionally, I can't remember which mission it is -- as I discovered this when I first played the game -- but when you rescue one of the POWs, the prisoner gives a long monologue about how a man came to visit his cell claiming to be Big Boss, and that the mysterious impersonator boasted about all the atrocities he'd committed. He then proceeded to quote a line from Big Boss word for word. I cannot freakin' remember what he says, though.

I REALLY wish I could find the prisoner who says this so I can record it this time, but I haven't since stumbled upon the right prisoner that provides this monologue, nor do I remember what mission it was. I believe it was a daytime mission.

One thing seems increasingly clear to me -- someone is impersonating Big Boss in MGSV's plot. Skullface, perhaps. Or maybe even multiple people.

SolidSnake305

Neo Member
I don't think it's a mistranslation, both Gematsu and JunkerHQ have translated it as 'window' instead of date. They will probably confirm if it's Q2/Q3 or whatever

I agree, I'm pretty confident a release date is coming, there is no reason for a release window, as one was already given hence the 2015 release window. I won't put nothing past Konami and Kojima but they would be really milking this hype if they turn around and say Q2 or Q3 and then still have people waiting for the exact date.

Also there will be new information at Taipei. I would bet with all this talk about release date coming soon they may have a meeting next week to determine how bad or good the bug phase looks to be and finally decide on a date.

Keep in mind that in the bug phase of MGS4 (which had a lot of bugs) was confirmed on Jan 10, 2008 and the first master was created on Feb 25, 2008 and subsequent announcement of the RD was at Destination PlayStation on Feb 26, 2008.

Source of new info at Taipei-----
https://www.facebook.com/MetalGearAsia?fref=nf

Has anyone else interrogated Glaz and Palitz in "Eliminate the Renegade Threat" in Ground Zeroes?

Additionally, I can't remember which mission it is -- as I discovered this when I first played the game -- but when you rescue one of the POWs, the prisoner gives a long monologue about how a man came to visit his cell claiming to be Big Boss, and that the mysterious impersonator boasted about all the atrocities he'd committed. He then proceeded to quote a line from Big Boss word for word. I cannot freakin' remember what he says, though.

I REALLY wish I could find the prisoner who says this so I can record it this time, but I haven't since stumbled upon the right prisoner that provides this monologue, nor do I remember what mission it was. I believe it was a daytime mission.

One thing seems increasingly clear to me -- someone is impersonating Big Boss in MGSV's plot. Skullface, perhaps. Or maybe even multiple people.

Interesting...is it the prisoner in the "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" mission?

Guys I am going to heavily change the Metal Gear Hype picture, it will even have a background image but I am not showing that right now.

My question is, which version do you prefer? Rex & Ray in normal colors or in NeoGAF colors? Note: The NeoGAF symbol on Rex is on both versions.

hclswngq.png

jlaoznst.png

sooooo...you're complaining that an admittedly difficult task that's not supposed to be easy is difficult? ok!

It's not just that it's difficult, it's just something about the enemy placement and behavior in Ground Zeroes that bugs me. I've only played 15 hours but I didn't expect it to be that annoying, since Deja Vu and Renegade Threat weren't too difficult with no weapons.

Maybe it's the guy in Destroy the Emplacements. He has a pretty long monologue but I don't remember it.

JayEH

Guys I am going to heavily change the Metal Gear Hype picture, it will even have a background image but I am not showing that right now.

My question is, which version do you prefer? Rex & Ray in normal colors or in NeoGAF colors? Note: The NeoGAF symbol on Rex is on both versions.

hclswngq.png

jlaoznst.png

I like the normal one with the neogaf symbol.

Rajang

The mission you're talking about is Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements and the quote Skull Face uses is: "Nothing to be ashamed of, pain gets the better of us all."

Skull Face also uses another Big Boss quote when he is torturing Chico. He says: "Chico, growing up means choosing how you're going to live your life."
This is exactly what Big Boss says during Peace Walker when he meets Chico.

Skull Face and Big Boss are obviously connected somehow. What's also strange is that in every Metal Gear game, the first real character shot you see is Snake. Look at all the intro's of MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS PW. Snake is always the first character that's introduced. But in Ground Zeroes the first character is Skull Face.

Juicy Bob

Do we think that the fact that The Phantom Pain will chronicle Big Boss's transformation from morally questionable leader of a private army of soldiers who worship him into a fully-blown villain out for revenge against the world will affect how we handle killing in the game?

Are we still going to be encouraged to use non-lethal methods or are we going to be encouraged to become monsters and killers ourselves?

Do we think that the fact that The Phantom Pain will chronicle Big Boss's transformation from morally questionable leader of a private army of soldiers who worship him into a fully-blown villain out for revenge against the world will affect how we handle killing in the game?

Are we still going to be encouraged to use non-lethal methods or are we going to be encouraged to become monsters and killers ourselves?

Probably depends on how much radio support Angst-Kaz gives, for one.

Rajang

I don't think it will be much different from GZ. Killing and getting spotted will be penalised and will affect your rating. I really hope BB's descent into madness won't affect how we have to play the game. Let him go on a rampage during the cutscenes and let me sneak, tranq and fulton people during gameplay. :>

Sounds like everyone is pointing to this guy here: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Prisoner_12282

Here's his speech lifted from the wiki:
Boss… I never expected you would come… This place is full of “enemy combatants” renditioned from all over the world. But I couldn’t believe how many groups were asking the questions. They gotta have some kind of secret agreement. At a guess, I’d say there were MI6, BND, ISI… I even heard one guy speaking Russian. Yeah, they’re making deals with the East too. Local agencies will snatch dissidents who’ve defected to the West and then send ‘em back across the Iron Curtain… after a stopover here. They’re dealing in “leverage” on foreign administrations. Backdoor money. Scandals. Financial fraud. By sharing information that governments want to sweep under the rug, they, they gain leniency for their agencies. They’re trying to create some kind of HUMINT network without borders. Sorry, that’s all I know. Can't believe I got captured... I should have known I wasn't up to your standard... The torture was... was beyond anything I ever imagined. They were breaking guys left and right... I came pretty close too. But don't worry, Boss. I, I didn't tell them a thing. But... just one time... I was questioned by this other guy. He was different from the rest. I'll never forget him... or what he said. It cut right into me. "Nothing to be ashamed of. Pain gets the better of us all." "Let the words comfort you." "Now what did your boss tell you?" I nearly talked. This guy was so... so weird. I know I saw his face. I, I just... I can't remember it... The administration here knew about the operation. There was a leak. The brass are long gone. All that's left are the grunts kept out of the loop and us "enemy combatants"... Dunno why they left witnesses like us here alive. Mind if we stop a minute, Boss? I gotta rest. Let's get outta here. I wanna go home. Our home...

Palpable

It's the Mother Base prisoner from the anti-aircraft mission. He is in the boiler room. He doesn't say Skull Face claimed to be Big Boss, though.

The mission you're talking about is Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements and the quote Skull Face uses is: "Nothing to be ashamed of, pain gets the better of us all."

Skull Face also uses another Big Boss quote when he is torturing Chico. He says: "Chico, growing up means choosing how you're going to live your life."
This is exactly what Big Boss says during Peace Walker when he meets Chico.

Skull Face and Big Boss are obviously connected somehow. What's also strange is that in every Metal Gear game, the first real character shot you see is Snake. Look at all the intro's of MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS PW. Snake is always the first character that's introduced. But in Ground Zeroes the first character is Skull Face.

That's very bizarre and it's certainly a detail that shouldn't be overlooked. For Skullface to never have crossed paths with Big Boss, he seems to have a huge stockpile of information on him, and always seems to be one step ahead of him. I'm itching to know what the hell this is all about.

Palpable

That's very bizarre and it's certainly a detail that shouldn't be overlooked. For Skullface to never have crossed paths with Big Boss, he seems to have a huge stockpile of information on him, and always seems to be one step ahead of him. I'm itching to know what the hell this is all about.

He has. In one of the audio tapes, Skull Face asks Chico or Paz about if Big Boss is still a good listener.

Pinewood

Next week we get a new trailer. At the end, Coming in 2015 will fade in. And then Release Date will fade in before Coming in 2015. Release Date Coming Soon in 2015. Subsequently the internet will explode
destroying the patriots

Javier23

Banned
Given the fact that they are not even announcing a specific release date I'm going to be surprised if the game releases before Q3. It is actually good that I'm thinking this way, it won't disappoint me now as much as if it had blindsided me.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
guyz

guyziz

what if skullface is like the first (for want of a better word) aborted attempt at like les enfants terrible project so hes like this game's liquid to like bb's solid?

no, im not hungovered

Palpable

guyz

guyziz

what if skullface is like the first (for want of a better word) aborted attempt at like les enfants terrible project so hes like this game's liquid to like bb's solid?

no, im not hungovered

I'd say it's likely if it weren't for his background cassette tape.

Shit, you're right. He also says something along the lines of, "...the Boss and I go way back..." Just what the hell is going on?

Yeah... maybe he knew Big Boss during his Green Beret days.

I hold to the hypothesis that Big Boss's horn is a cutaneous horn:

zhang_ruifnag.jpg

Many sources point to the rare condition as being a delayed result of exposure to radiation. Naked Snake was undoubtedly exposed to high levels of fallout radiation when Volgan fired that nuke in the beginning of MGS3. It seems very probable that this growth had been festering for a long period of time.

That would also explain the "I'm nuclear" theme from the 2014 E3 trailer. I refuse to believe the protrusion from his skull is just "shrapnel."

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
But you're getting there.

heheheee

I'd say it's likely if it weren't for his background cassette tape.

but what if the tape is a lie or a false memory?

zhang_ruifnag.jpg

Many sources point to the rare condition as being a delayed result of exposure to radiation. Naked Snake was undoubtedly exposed to high levels of fallout radiation when Volgan fired that nuke in the beginning of MGS3. It seems very probable that this growth had been festering for a long period of time.

ooo. me likey.

Jindrax

zhang_ruifnag.jpg

That would also explain the "I'm nuclear" theme from the 2014 E3 trailer. I refuse to believe the protrusion from his skull is just "shrapnel."

Aren't those things supposed to grow slowly? Not a full blown enormous thing in a couple of years. Also. The shape of it just looks like a piece of metal.

Also. The nuclear thing I think refers to that he he's on the edge and ready to blow.

Been playing GZ the last week or so and I had a question about 1 small area of the map.

Just before the heliport there is a save point with a locked area with 3 or 4 generators. I was just wondering why it's locked. Can you c4 these generators to blow the power to the lights?

They are the same type of generators in the administration area that you can turn off.

I know a XOF patch is on top of one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom