• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
original.jpg

LIIIIIIQQQQQQQQUIIIIIDDDDDD.

Pretty damn nice poster there, System Error!

Skullface

Big Boss is listening to them. I say this because Skull Face revealed he left the tapes at the base on purpose. He wanted Big Boss to listen to them. He wanted him to know.

I can appreciate that. The question is, when does Big Boss get the opportunity to listen to them between the rescue mission and the crash? I mean, sure, he could have used to iDroid while on base. Maybe we'll get some commentary on his reaction to the tapes in the form of more tapes in PP. This makes the scene with Big Boss and Skull Face more complicated in my opinion. Shouldn't he know the attack on Mother Base was a Skull Face affair? Why no swearing of revenge on XOF? Man I'm confused...

Skullface

I'm sorry? Was this not clear?

Seriously last lesson. And actually read what I'm saying this time your responses are just embarrassing.

This was your explanation why Cross Platform would not be possible:

Out of this reasoning the logical inference is that cross play PS3-PS4 is not viable since there's a difference in FPS. (3)

Which I pointed out to be rubbish since on the PC everyone has a different FPS and it's playable.
Now put on your seatbelt:

(1): This is obviously a joke pointing out that console players have no skill since an fps is almost unplayable without any form of aim assist. That this passed over your head it quite amusing? Secondly it is introducing new elements. How does that refute my argument that a difference in FPS makes no difference? It's a cheap way to make yourself look intelligent by bringing in new facts that add no value to your original argument.

(2): You're joking? So you're telling me that SF IV on pc has a magic detection system to detect what fps both players are playing and sync it and then lock it the lowest of both?
This argument just refutes itself I'm not even going to bother explaining that you're just inventing nonsense as you go a long.
The only system they have in place is to detect the latency between players and slow the game down. That's all.

(3): see introduction.

You notice how I refute every single argument you put on the table? And not just select a few or a sentence? Do you also see how mine are based on facts and I don't invent things?

Now you've embarrassed yourself enough now. Also I suggest you consider some form of higher education since your level of reading and argumentation is appalling.

Come on bros. Keep this up and Snaku is going to make you stab him with a blade made from our brother's ashes

I think that the only tape that Snake has listened to is Chico's Tape 1, since he acquires it in a cutscene in the Ground Zeroes mission. The others are probably for our benefit.

NCell

I'm sorry? Was this not clear?

I see you like to say that I embarrass myself but you don't need to repeat that, just keep the discussion simple, clean and straight to the point.

Your "inference" is not an actual fact, as you claim you base your arguments on, and in no way shape or form does my statement say that it would be impossible due to the difference in framerate.
Secondly can you refute the fact that SF4 online matches do slowdown based on the players framerate? Instead of considering it "magic detection" try playing the game with your framerate set to smooth or variable against someone with the framerate set to fixed and tell me what happens.
Again you say you base your arguments on facts while you're inferring and whatnot.
Let's speed this discussion up with a few facts:

1. FPS is unfair, but is the syncing problems that make me believe it would be impossible
  2. SF4 online does have issues when one of the players can't maintain 60FPS
  3. Keep the discussion straight to the point, you can make your remarks about my level of reading and argumentation when we straight out the facts

I can appreciate that. The question is, when does Big Boss get the opportunity to listen to them between the rescue mission and the crash? I mean, sure, he could have used to iDroid while on base. Maybe we'll get some commentary on his reaction to the tapes in the form of more tapes in PP. This makes the scene with Big Boss and Skull Face more complicated in my opinion. Shouldn't he know the attack on Mother Base was a Skull Face affair? Why no swearing of revenge on XOF? Man I'm confused...
Yeah. As much as I love the touch of Skull Face intentionally leaving the tapes there for Big Boss to listen to, I don't think it can really make sense that Big Boss (and not just the player) listened to all of them. I mean, if Big Boss -had- listened to all the tapes then he would have anticipated the second bomb trap and the coma wouldn't have happened. Also, if Skull Face is someone from Big Boss's past... if he actually listened to them wouldn't he have taken a moment to discuss the individual's identity with Kaz? And like you said, both him and Miller would have a different outlook in TPP because the tapes are pretty clear that XOF (who destroyed the base) were out to get Cipher.

Didn't Kojima say the fans likely already guessed who Skull Face is? Implying he's actually a known character in the universe rather than a new one? Or am I misremembering

I want in on the hype ray!

Also, on the subject of people forgetting skullface's face...there is a specific part of the brain that processes the faces we see from the visual cortex. It inteprets what we see, accesses our memory and tells us, "that's dawg's face, you remember him." there are people with brain damage that literally can't recognize people by their faces. They have to use other cues like voice, clothes, gait, etc. Perhaps skullface has someway of manipulating those around him so they can't "see" or recognize his face. Maybe this only happens when the mask is worn?

If this is the route kojima is going with this it would offer a somewhat simple explanation for why BB is pal-ing around with skullface...he doesn't see him as skullface...skullface is wearing the mask, so BB either doesn't recognize or sees his face as someone else maybe? Thoughts?

Also, skullfaces origin story takes a lot of options for identity out of the equation.

Dawg

It's strange because Skullface gives Chico his tape player back because he knew Big Boss would use it to listen to the tapes.

And Big Boss told Kaz at the beginning that he wondered why Paz left behind tapes for them to hear.

Maybe, canonically, Big Boss won't hear the tapes until Phantom Pain.

Jindrax

I see you like to say that I embarrass myself but you don't need to repeat that, just keep the discussion simple, clean and straight to the point.

Your "inference" is not an actual fact, as you claim you base your arguments on, and in no way shape or form does my statement say that it would be impossible due to the difference in framerate.

Secondly can you refute the fact that SF4 online matches do slowdown based on the players framerate? Instead of considering it "magic detection" try playing the game with your framerate set to smooth or variable against someone with the framerate set to fixed and tell me what happens.
Again you say you base your arguments on facts while you're inferring and whatnot.
Let's speed this discussion up with a few facts:

1. FPS is unfair, but is the syncing problems that make me believe it would be impossible
  2. SF4 online does have issues when one of the players can't maintain 60FPS
  3. Keep the discussion straight to the point, you can make your remarks about my level of reading and argumentation when we straight out the facts

Read what you posted please:

No because PC architecture is different, you offer the same mechanics with different graphical options, while on consoles you lock the framrate for example[. Imagine a corner where a PS3 and a PS4 players meet, the PS4 will have the obvious advantage of seeing him 30 frames faster and controlling aim with double the accuracy, it would never be fair

You say "No" referring to it not being possible, then you say because of the difference in architecture. Which you clarify by an example. The FPS difference.
--> Yes you did, therefor inference is correct.

Ok that's one sorted.

1. There is no syncing problem because games do not sync based on FPS they sync based on connection. Does CS sync anything based on fps? Neither does SF. Why? Because it's not possible.

2. See 1.

3. I made my arguments a lot shorter now. Try not read over anything this time please.

It's strange because Skullface gives Chico his tape player back because he knew Big Boss would use it to listen to the tapes.

And Big Boss told Kaz at the beginning that he wondered why Paz left behind tapes for them to hear.

Maybe, canonically, Big Boss won't hear the tapes until Phantom Pain.
That's actually a good theory. I was surprised and kind of pleased to hear that the characters actually listened to those Paz Diary Tapes by the time of GZ and not just the player. That also makes me wonder about that secret Miller tape... I guess Big Boss still hasn't heard that?

Dawg

That's actually a good theory. I was surprised and kind of pleased to hear that the characters actually listened to those Paz Diary Tapes by the time of GZ and not just the player. That also makes me wonder about that secret Miller tape... I guess Big Boss still hasn't heard that?

I asked Ken on twitter if BB listened to the tapes in GZ, not sure if he'll answer tho :p

I finally finished MGS4 yesterday, i totally get now why it's a divisive title in gaf's history even tough it won that's year GOTY. I personally enjoyed it a lot even after i got spoiled for most of the biggest moments.....but man i think that game contains more cutscenes than gameplay. I think MGS4 is a nice end for the series so it's crazy that we are getting Metal Gear solid V, specially since we kinda know what should happen thanks to 4, not that i'm complaining.

The opinions concerning MGS4 here on GAF are very confusing so it's not worth thinking about it. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Yea, there's like 7-8 hours of cutscenes in MGS4. I suppose you could spend more time on the gameplay on a first playthrough or when you're trying to collect stuff. Still plenty of cool stuff to do in MGS4 even if the cutscene/gameplay ratio is a bit wonky.

JayEH

Now you've embarrassed yourself enough now. Also I suggest you consider some form of higher education since your level of reading and argumentation is appalling.

Stop this shit.

You're arguing over cross platform play which I can almost guarantee you will not be In the game. And low blows like that are uncalled for.

JayEH

Para-Medic is pretty underrated. Quiet is my number one, but Para-Medic isn't all that far behind.

She has her moments in 3. Surprised she and Bosu never got it on after all the flirting. I forgot Peace Walker so I'd like to give honorable mentions to Paz and Amanda.

Do you think bosses from MG/MG2 will make appearance in Phantom Pain? (Shotmaker, Machinegun Kid, Dirty Duck, Red Blaster, Black Ninja, Night Fright, Jungle Evil)
Maybe there will be some kind of reference to them or we will recruit/fulton them?

Haha, on the subject of quiet, or rather Stephanie joosten, there was a kojima station episode a while back where everybody was drooling over her and somebody said something along the lines of " I would crawl belly down, naked through five miles of broken glass just to suck the last dick that fucked her."

He he. So wrong but so funny.

Skullface

Do you think bosses from MG/MG2 will make appearance in Phantom Pain? (Shotmaker, Machinegun Kid, Dirty Duck, Red Blaster, Black Ninja, Night Fright, Jungle Evil)
Maybe there will be some kind of reference to them or we will recruit/fulton them?

I think there will be subtle nods/references. They were all generic as hell with the exception of Schneider, who would be Big Boss's foe during Outer Heaven uprising. Some of the other MG2 bosses were cool, but not too compelling from a story standpoint.

Haha, on the subject of quiet, or rather Stephanie joosten, there was a kojima station episode a while back where everybody was drooling over her and somebody said something along the lines of " I would crawl belly down, naked through five miles of broken glass just to suck the last dick that fucked her."

I'm surprised there were no bans handed out on than line. I mean, I kek'd, but that was a little outrageous lol. I think there was a stern warning about it though.

Think that was Screaming Meat. Dude knows what he wants.

Perhaps a subtle reference but I highly doubt it. At times I feel MGSV could be the start of a new alternate mainline going forward like if he were to do another solid snake game or hand it off to someone else characters like liquid wouldn't had been killed off so early I believe he regrets killing liquid I guess he didn't expected the series to blow up in the manner it did.

Then another part of me believes this is MG1&2 remade and retold in the way he wanted without having the hardware constraints. Thus, ignoring some silly stuff ( like the bosses in those games ) inconsistencies are bound to show up and I'm sure a lot of fans will debating this. So let's see what happens.

Skullface

Perhaps a subtle reference but I highly doubt it. At times I feel MGSV could be the start of a new alternate mainline going forward like if he were to do another solid snake game or hand it off to someone else characters like liquid wouldn't had been killed off so early I believe he regrets killing liquid I guess he didn't expected the series to blow up in the manner it did.

Then another part of me believes this is MG1&2 remade and retold ignoring some silly stuff thus inconsistencies are bound to show up. So let's see what happens.

But muh poisonous hamsters ;_;

Edit: Can anyone recall if hamsters were an instakill? I didn't take the chance on my last play through.

Rajang

#1. Kazuhira
#2. Quiet
#3. Sniper Wolf

(4. Amanda)
(5. Cecile)

Paz looks like a doll in Peace Walker. Really off putting. And in GZ she looks like Slim Shady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom