• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?
If it's for a collection there no point in paying 60bucks for a duplicate you could just wait.
If it's for another reason please elaborate.

I have friends on both consoles that I want to play MGO with.

All my friends from gaf and other online places are PS4 owners.

My 'irl' friends are all XB1 owners.

Pinewood

PS3/PS4 depending on how wealthy I am. Could go with Pc, but that means i have to play Mgo with kb/m and that felt really weird in GZ

Wesker28

Who here is getting it on PS4 vs. PC?

I have to get it on PS4. Hope that since it was originally planned as console only and Kojima loves his PS4, I won't miss much.
PC. And I'm hoping for a cross-platform play support between PC and PS4 players, just like SFV

Banzai

i just know I'm gonna get it on PS4 and then get jealous of the features of the pc version. My pc probably cant handle it on max settings though so whats the point.

Pinewood

What was Outer Gafs first Metal Gear game?
Mine was Metal Gear Solid
Touch

I might have played a cellphone version of AC!D before that(or was it after?), but thats kinda hazy because I only tried 1 or 2 levels.

Jindrax

I have friends on both consoles that I want to play MGO with.

All my friends from gaf and other online places are PS4 owners.

My 'irl' friends are all XB1 owners.

Wow, you either you love us guys here on GAF too much,
Or you have really nice friends.

Or OR!!! you're super rich? plz buy me Kojima!

Jindrax

Touch

I might have played a cellphone version of AC!D before that(or was it after?), but thats kinda hazy because I only tried 1 or 2 levels.

Pirated copy of MGS1, had no idea what this game was.
Dude in the game store had like a list of imported games (US).
So I just picked a few random ones and payed him 100bucks.
He chipped my PS1 and gave me like 30 games.

One afternoon I'm like Metal Gear?

My life changed that afternoon...

A little of A, a little of B and none of C.

But I'm sure I'll manage being £40 down that month :p I'll just cut down on the biscuits.

Not... The biscuits!!!???

Lernaean

Banned
A limited/collector's/whatever edition on PS4, as i have all the mainline MGS games on PS consoles in various editions, and a regular edition for PC which will be my main gaming version.

Touch

My first was MGS1, then Twin Snakes and shortley after, MGS2.

Jump ahead 10 years > MGS3 > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes > And I'm now currently playing through MGS4

Not... The biscuits!!!???

A cuppa without biscuits is a sad sight, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice for Big Boss.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Money permitting, I'll be getting a PS4 for this around release. Probably get it on 360 to play with friends and to get it Day 1 too.

MGS. I pretty much didn't leave my room for a week. I remember getting a call from my friend asking if I was okay XD

Javier23

Banned
MGS1 when I was 5 or 6. Must have finished that one about 20 or 30 times back then, before MGS2 came out. My parents tried not to have me play any excessively violent games, but I fucking loved MGS so much that they made an exception with the whole series. Oh, and I'll confess I just finished MG and MG2 for the first time this summer.

Ryan_MSF

Metal Gear Solid. I remember seeing the e3 trailer on some unofficial Playstation magazine disk, I had to know everything about the game and bought every magazine with the name even slightly mentioned on the cover, day the game came out the love affair started!

brau

Touch

MGS on PS1 was the first.

Must've played that game over 20 times over and over.

Later was excited for MGS2, but i got to play the tanker level demo. Must've played that demo for hrs and hrs. MGS2 came out. i only played that 3 times. lol. Didn't quite like it.

Was skeptical about MGS3. Bought it. Loved it.

Bought MGS2 for Xbox since it was a special edition, and then bought the special edition of MGS3 with the camera fixes. Must've played through 3 20 times.

It was around here when Twin Snakes came out i think. Got that. Love MGS1, but i didn't think the new direction for Snake circus stunts fits him all that much. But i do love the updated look and gameplay. Plus... using a GC controller. Its awesome.

MGS4 is the only MGS that i have played only twice. I have tried to play it more than that, but i never go through with it. Dunno why. I did get to play the original NES titles on it as well. Not a big fan of them.

After i think i got to play the PSP versions. All in order.

AC!D
Ops
Peace Walker

Peace Walker is an amazing game. Only played that once.

Around this time i bought MGS HD on ps3, and purchased MGS3 and PeaceWalker on Vita as well.

Hmm... then Ground Zeroes. That one i have played multiple times. On PS4... recently on PC.

And now... i wait for TPP. I will get it on PS4 and PC + Special Edition. It will be awesome.

No wonder Kojima can stay in business. I think i have purchased every single release of his MGS games. He can rerelease a game on a platform and i will buy it. Like Mel Gibson in that conspiracy theory movie buying Catcher in the Rye.

B5i1qfx_IUAAgu_LO_jpg_large.jpg

where did this pic come from?

Rajang

MGS1 on PS1.

I remember seeing my nephews playing the MGS demo on their PS1, and that they were mindblown that you could crawl under the truck to hide from guards and that the guards would react to your footprints in the snow and the sound from your footsteps when you would run in the water. I was like damn, I need this game.

I also had a pirated copy, so it was quite a pain in the ass to get Meryl's Codec. (Her codec number was on the back of the official PS1 cover). I had to trial and error it and try almost every combination in the codec. I guess Kojima didn't like people pirating his game, lol. But I didn't know better as a kid.

Touch

MGS1 on PS1 in 1999. To say it was "good times" would be an understatement.

Skullface

MGS1 on PS1 in 1999. To say it was "good times" would be an understatement.

MGS1 on PS1 on Christmas Day 1999. Good times.

When I first played MGS it was the winter of '98. My brother got the game from one of his friends, and we spent hours fucking around in VR before even trying the main game. My second play through of the story involved lots of fucking around, courtesy of Gameshark. I still remember using an "all items" cheat, using a cardboard box to get to sniper wolf's field via truck, and marching right into disc 2 in under 20 minutes. I was so happy to get the Meryl ending this way because I could never beat Ocelot's torture. In fact, I got Meryl's ending for the first time legitimately a couple weeks ago :X

Touch

My first was metal gear solid 4. I got it because it got a perfect ten from gamespot.
Then mgs 2, mgs 3 and finally last year i played mgs1 and peace walker.

Jindrax

Which do you guys like more, The Legendary Mercenary, or The Legendary Soldier? Big Boss or Solid Snake?

Big Boss, by like a mile...
Snake's epic in his own way and stuff. But Big Boss?? He even kicked Snakes old ass in front of his own grave.
And he's like no DCI I aint shaking your hand FU.

I spotted a video.

Then my mind said: "Dude, you know what you have to do. Download. Turn it into a gif and photoshop it." ʘ‿ʘ

I was obviously shaking my head. "No, man. Not this day. Not this. NOT THIS!!"

Mind: "Go on! We both know you want it!" ಠ‿ಠ

Me: "Go. AWAY!" ಠ益ಠ

Mind: "Well then, fuck you!" 凸(-_-)凸

So...

I did it...

Not sure if I should actually post it, though.

sexyelder

Touch

Mine was Metal Gear Solid 3, beat it 3 times, then 2 then Ground Zeroes, 4, and Peace Walker.

Banzai

Yeah Big Boss is the definition of the word badass. Everything about him screams bad motherf***er.
Solid Snake is cool, too, but not even close to Big Boss levels of hardcore pimpin eyepatch-wearing coolness.

tioslash

I spotted a video.

Then my mind said: "Dude, you know what you have to do. Download. Turn it into a gif and photoshop it." ʘ‿ʘ

I was obviously shaking my head. "No, man. Not this day. Not this. NOT THIS!!"

Mind: "Go on! We both know you want it!" ಠ‿ಠ

Me: "Go. AWAY!" ಠ益ಠ

Mind: "Well then, fuck you!" 凸(-_-)凸

So...

I did it...

Not sure if I should actually post it, though.

Your mind is telling you right now that you should post it.
You´ll eventually do it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You know why Big Boss has a ponytail in MGSV? because when The Boss played the villain in MGS3 she had a ponytail too.

Or the little mole under her right eye symbolizing Snake's lost eye.

I just love all those little details Kojima put's into his games.

Beginning
1374806440277.jpg

End
The-Boss-4.jpg

Skullface

You know why Big Boss has a ponytail in MGSV? because when The Boss played the villain in MGS3 she had a ponytail too.

Beginning
1374806440277.jpg

End
The-Boss-4.jpg

My instinct was to say "there's no way you could know that as fact". But then I realized, this is Kojima. There are no coincidences. Good eye S4ke.

sexyelder

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes_la_01.jpg

This is an old image from before Ground Zeroes' s release. I was just wondering if anyone has explained it yet. It doesn't look Photoshoped because you can see the light and shadows on the patch.

Skullface

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes_la_01.jpg

This is an old image from before Ground Zeroes' s release. I was just wondering if anyone has explained it yet. It doesn't look Photoshoped because you can see the light and shadows on the patch.

That's very easy to explain. Ever see an iron-on patch's backside? The fox is facing the opposite direction, so it's probably just an early version of the back of the patch.

Rajang

Which do you guys like more, The Legendary Mercenary, or The Legendary Soldier? Big Boss or Solid Snake?

Mine's Big Boss

Like as a character? Solid Snake, he is the real hero in the Metal Gear series and he is also a good guy compared to BB. And arguably the superior soldier as well, as he defeats Big Boss and his entire MSF army twice.

But Big Boss' story arc is more interesting, especially seeing his transformation as a character and his descent into madness in TPP.

Beginning
1374806440277.jpg

End
The-Boss-4.jpg

That's awesome, nice find.

When I first played MGS it was the winter of '98. My brother got the game from one of his friends, and we spent hours fucking around in VR before even trying the main game. My second play through of the story involved lots of fucking around, courtesy of Gameshark. I still remember using an "all items" cheat, using a cardboard box to get to sniper wolf's field via truck, and marching right into disc 2 in under 20 minutes. I was so happy to get the Meryl ending this way because I could never beat Ocelot's torture. In fact, I got Meryl's ending for the first time legitimately a couple weeks ago :X

lol, that's great. My brother and I finished the game millions of times before ever attempting to save Meryl. Eventually, we just decided to spend one weekend doing it over and over until we got it. It was an ordeal but we did it in the end. God damn, me and my brother were so obsessed with that game and I suppose we still are.

Pinewood

Mine's Big Boss

I feel like under different circumstances, they could have turned out almost exact opposites, as in they both were sums of their influences.

But I like Big Boss more as a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom