• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, who here thinks Big Boss will straight up murder children in this one without mercy? Especially after what happened with Paz/Chico fiasco.

Man, thinking about this game's opening is really going to be something with all his hallucinations. I can't wait.

Does kojima got the balls to have big boss execute kids? He already put a bomb on Paz ***** so anything goes at this point.

JayEH

Yeah, it could be that as well. I really want to know what this "taboo, I may get out of game development and stuff and HOLY SHIT" thing Kojima was blabbering about.

This in the Fox Engine.

tumblr_inline_msq1ecvhj71qz4rgp.jpg

Opto

Banned
Either it's edited to make it seem that way (just like the trailer made it seem like he was strangling Chico) OR he believes killing them is an act of mercy, thinking they're suffering too much.

The question remains what are the taboo themes that will be present in the game?

I'm going with terrorist themes involving perhaps child exploitation into big boss new private army. Whether we get to see them on the battlefield remains to be seen.

Here's another theme For instance ocelot claims big boss is a legend to those who live in the battlefield, got me wondering about big boss ideology beliefs and how his charismatic nature wins over people you can probably compare this to religious fanatics. Maybe I'm stretching it but it's interesting to think.

Opto

Banned
" 'No greater good, no just cause'
In Outer Heaven, men become demons." Right before the shots fired so ????

Or rather the taboo may be Big Boss's use of child soldiers. Child soldiers were always a thread in the games (MG2 and MGS2), but this game will actually depict it.

" 'No greater good, no just cause'
In Outer Heaven, men become demons." Right before the shots fired so ????

Or rather the taboo may be Big Boss's use of child soldiers. Child soldiers were always a thread in the games (MG2 and MGS2), but this game will actually depict it.

True Raiden is a product of that, Liquid and Solid I believe started somewhat young but who knows.

Edit: Deimos imo chico deserves more than just a strangle for betraying big boss twice. Although I partially blame big boss for having a kid in his private army to begin with. If chico didn't run off to Cuba the base wouldn't had been attacked at least I think that .

Lernaean

Banned
But he was strangling Chico.

Putting him to sleep so he would STFU actually.
I do believe that in the end we'll see that the trailers were just cut this way, and either:
1) there is a body double and the real BB is a decent person, or...
2) BB is a decent person, period, but history has its way of warping facts.
Imo, the fall from grace, Anakin Skywalker style is almost impossible, it's just what the trailers want us to believe.

JayEH

True Raiden is a product of that, Liquid and Solid I believe started somewhat young but who knows.

Edit: Deimos imo chico deserves more than just a strangle for betraying big boss twice. Although I partially blame big boss for having a kid in his private army to begin with. If chico didn't run off to Cuba the base wouldn't had been attacked at least I think that .

Can't blame a kid for succumbing to torture.

Can't blame a kid for succumbing to torture.

It may sound messed up but I have no sympathy for Chico he jeopardized everything at the end of the day. Big Boss shouldn't had let a kid in his army to begin with but I wouldn't be shocked if Kaz or Big Boss execute him. I still think he doesn't make the helicopter crash maybe that's the person Kaz is addressing in the hospital " what about him?"

Also due to Chico little trip to Cuba somehow Huey is being blamed for the failed inspection, I think that chico gave skullface plenty of Intel and it's only logical to think huey let everyone in quietly hence the ocelot torture. That's my theory atm.

-Deimos

Putting him to sleep so he would STFU actually.
I do believe that in the end we'll see that the trailers were just cut this way, and either:
1) there is a body double and the real BB is a decent person, or...
2) BB is a decent person, period, but history has its way of warping facts.
Imo, the fall from grace, Anakin Skywalker style is almost impossible, it's just what the trailers want us to believe.

Yeah, but the trailer wasn't misleading us to think he was actually killing Chico. It was obvious he was trying to get Chico to stfu because he was causing a scene....at least it was to me.

Same thing with this scene, I don't think Kojima is trying to trick us into thinking BB is shooting a bunch of random imprisoned kids. It looks like he's about to rescue them and then the video cuts to a random unrelated scene of him firing a rifle.

Skullface

It may sound messed up but I have no sympathy for Chico he jeopardized everything at the end of the day. Big Boss shouldn't had let a kid in his army to begin with but I wouldn't be shocked if Kaz or Big Boss execute him. I still think he doesn't make the helicopter crash maybe that's the person Kaz is addressing in the hospital " what about him?"

That hospital scene where Big Boss first enters a coma is really very curious to me. We're viewing that scene from another characters perspective. First of all, it's incredibly rare that we view a scene from the protagonist's first person perspective to begin with. Second, I can't think of a single instance where we view a scene from a different character's perspective at all. Maybe Laughing Octopus when she's stalking you after you get examined by Naomi? I don't know... There's just something very interesting about this scene.

Yeah, but the trailer wasn't misleading us to think he was actually killing Chico. It was obvious he was trying to get Chico to stfu because he was causing a scene....at least it was to me.

Same thing with this scene, I don't think Kojima is trying to trick us into thinking BB is shooting a bunch of random imprisoned kids. It looks like he's about to rescue them and then the video cuts to a random unrelated scene of him firing a rifle.

There used to be a popular theory that he was shooting the lock of the cage to free them.

-Deimos

That hospital scene where Big Boss first enters a coma is really very curious to me. We're viewing that scene from another characters perspective. First of all, it's incredibly rare that we view a scene from the protagonist's first person perspective to begin with. Second, I can't think of a single instance where we view a scene from a different character's perspective at all. Maybe Laughing Octopus when she's stalking you after you get examined by Naomi? I don't know... There's just something very interesting about this scene.

There used to be a popular theory that he was shooting the lock of the cage to free them.

That was actually my initial reaction, then I realized it would be pretty dumb if he was spraying bullets to open a lock.

The only logical explanation I could think of after that was it being a totally unrelated scene.

Opto

Banned

I didn't play peacewalker when I saw the trailer, so i didn't know about chico, and I totally thought he was getting strangled to death.

Lernaean

Banned

In reality, if someone hasn't played GZ, so they don't know about all the fuss Chico made inside of his cell, screaming 'eek, go away' like a moron, what you see in the trailer is BB's cold eyes as he is chocking a kid, just that, entirely out of context.
I very much think Kojima wants to convince everybody that BB is turning into a monster, and i'm almost certain that he does it so that when you actually play the game, you'll realize that it's not really the case.

-Deimos

In reality, if someone hasn't played GZ, so they don't know about all the fuss Chico made inside of his cell, screaming 'eek, go away' like a moron, what you see in the trailer is BB's cold eyes as he is chocking a kid, just that, entirely out of context.
I very much think Kojima wants to convince everybody that BB is turning into a monster, and i'm almost certain that he does it so that when you actually play the game, you'll realize that it's not really the case.

For me it was clear he wasn't trying to kill Chico the first time I saw that trailer and to be honest I thought it was obvious for anyone who knew who Chico was. For those who didn't play PW, like Opto, I can see why it would like he was trying to kill him.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Saying Big Boss is not turning into a monster would be straight up ignoring what all the other games tell us about him. He's a ruthless war monger that uses child soldiers, kidnaps scientists, and even betrays his own unit and partners (Campbell and Miller) in order to try and get his revenge against Zero and the Patriots. Even in Peace Walker he abandons The Boss, uses Chico and Paz (who he though was a 16 year old) in MSF no problem, and idolizes Che, a known extremist who would've nuked the USA if given the chance.

Lernaean

Banned
For me it was clear he wasn't trying to kill Chico the first time I saw that trailer and to be honest I thought it was obvious for anyone who knew who Chico was. For those who didn't play PW, like Opto, I can see why it would like he was trying to kill him.

I agree, but not entirely. Even when you're fully aware of the PW insident, you can still go like 'what? Why is BB strangling Chico?' As the scene is taken entirely out of context. I believe Kojima is creating a climate just to reverse it as the story progresses.

Saying Big Boss is not turning into a monster would be straight up ignoring what all the other games tell us about him. He's a ruthless war monger that uses child soldiers, kidnaps scientists, and even betrays his own unit and partners (Campbell and Miller) in order to try and get his revenge against Zero and the Patriots. Even in Peace Walker he abandons The Boss, uses Chico and Paz (who he though was a 16 year old) in MSF no problem, and idolizes Che, a known extremist who would've nuked the USA if given the chance.

That doesn't mean much really. At the same time BB has been depicted as a very loyal friend and comrade.
And what one country, army, or culture sees as a war criminal, another might see as a hero, and vice versa. The fact that BB is seen as a war criminal, for decissions he did make, if you want me to say it, does not mean that he is entirely imoral or that the forces he is going up against are completely moral.
War is a business chin deep into shit. You can't expect anyone wearing a clean uniform.

You guys working on your Game of the Generation lists? If MGS3 doesn't win it all, we riot! (It'll be my number two - only behind MGS2, but it's getting quite a bit of love thus far.)

JayEH

You guys working on your Game of the Generation lists? If MGS3 doesn't win it all, we riot! (It'll be my number two - only behind MGS2, but it's getting quite a bit of love thus far.)

That thread will be a bloodbath. MGS3 (and probably 2) will be in the top 10. Too many good games.

JayEH

This is probably my final list unless I can think of some more before the poll ends.

1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
3. Star Wars Battlefront 2.
4. Halo 2
5. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
6. Resident Evil 4

That thread will be a bloodbath. MGS3 (and probably 2) will be in the top 10. Too many good games.

This is probably my final list unless I can think of some more before the poll ends.

1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
3. Star Wars Battlefront 2.
4. Halo 2
5. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
6. Resident Evil 4

Ah, nice!! Yeah, it's tough. I've been going over my list. It's really hard to rank since it's kind of arbitrary to slap a number in front of what you consider a great game. I'm writing out the text (MGS2, MGS3 and Persona 4 will be walls of text).

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty ; Don't worry, it's a game! It's a game just like usual...
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater ; Hungry for Some Snake?
3. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 ; I love them balls.
4. Resident Evil ; Enter the survival horror.
5. Halo: Combat Evolved ; Keep your head down! There's two of us in here now, remember?
6. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes ; Nothing can stop Metal Gear now.
7. Dead or Alive 2 ; DREAM ON!
8. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 ; Ally to good! Nightmare to you!
9. Resident Evil 4 ; Come back anytime.
10. Halo 2 ; Earth will never be the same.

What are you guys even mumbling about?!

d7l9c3ey.png

No, seriously. I think you get it all wrong. I doubt he betrays his unit ever. It's the opposite, Miller betrays him.

Batzi

Banned
So, who here thinks Big Boss will straight up murder children in this one without mercy? Especially after what happened with Paz/Chico fiasco.

Man, thinking about this game's opening is really going to be something with all his hallucinations. I can't wait.
I think it's one of those deceptive scenes that Kojima incorporates in his trailers. Just like when we thought he was strangling Chico when he was just silencing him up. I don't think he kills them at all. However, the beginning of the E3 2014 trailer when we see Big Boss walking among burned corpses, I really think that Big Boss ordered the massacre here and that's why you see him screaming at the end when he realizes what he has become. The horn pushing out in that scene symbolizes the evil within him.
It looks like the trailer is cut to make it seem like he's killing them.
This.
Wasn't until 10 years after I played the game did I see this.
Well I didn't know about the ghosts in MGS1 until after I played MGS4.

I think MGSV will be the next MGS3 and MGS2 combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom