• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonda

trying desperately to maintain my TPP media blackout... all I need is a release date Kojima to ease my pain!!

on that note, does this new trailer show too many spoilers?

Betty

Banned
trying desperately to maintain my TPP media blackout... all I need is a release date Kojima to ease my pain!!

on that note, does this new trailer show too many spoilers?

There's a fair few, I don't think any are game ruining, but there are spoilers for sure.

Not the same :p I really don't mind it at all and apparently TPP will introduce a different communication system and iDroid will be dropped.

9 years passed since the iDroid. A newer technology would have taken over.

The iDroid has nothing to do with the HUD. It's just an item that can be easily replaced by another item. Kojima did say that TPP will have something else.

Has to do with the elapsed time. 9 years are more than enough to come up with something more sophisticated. Remember that more than one person can communicate with Big Boss so a user interface to manage the calls is needed. Kaz & Ocelot have been confirmed.

So anyway they just showed the idroid...

Most of you werent kidding about Ground Zeroes. Some of the best controls/gameplay of the series. I'm exponentially hyped for TPP. Its going to be fun as hell messing around in that game.

MNC

Finally completed Mgs3. Jesus Christ, what a game. Wanted to dive right into Peacewalker HD (I always warn myself to keep bathing in the ending atmosphere for a while instead of going to the next game straight away)

Anyway sheesh I need to ready myself mentally before going on with the game. Not a big fan of comic cut scenes and I guess this is the game Big Boss's face changes. Really need to get used to it.

JayEH

Is Peacewalker HD worth playing or should I just watch a Let's Play series on Youtube?

I like it. The missions are usually pretty short since it was a PSP game. I didn't like the boss fights. They could get frustrating but once you figure it out they're not too bad. Mother Base management is cool at first then gets annoying towards the end since you start filling up fast though towards the end.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good game so I would give it a try for a couple of hours if you already have it and judge it yourself.

Betty

Banned
Oh God Portable Ops is canon but I don't have a PSP

Kojima called it soft canon, the overall story is important but the details aren't.

And honestly, the game just has too many flaws to be worth recommending, especially since Peace Walker does everything better, except, some might say, the story.

Oh God Portable Ops is canon but I don't have a PSP

Actually, it's only partially canon! (Hideo hasn't specified which bits are canon and which bits aren't, so it's hard to clarify.) I would recommend watching it on YouTube, to at least have knowledge of the game's events - whether it plays a role in future Metal Gear titles or not! (Assuming that you are looking to catch up on the series for MGSV?)

EDIT:

Kojima called it soft canon, the overall story is important but the details aren't.

And honestly, the game just has too many flaws to be worth recommending, especially since Peace Walker does everything better, except, some might say, the story.

This.

MNC

Actually, it's only partially canon! (Hideo hasn't specified which bits are canon and which bits aren't, so it's hard to clarify.) I would recommend watching it on YouTube, to at least have knowledge of the game's events - whether it plays a role in future Metal Gear titles or not! (Assuming that you are looking to catch up on the series for MGSV?)

EDIT:

This.
That's basically my idea. Bought HD collection a while ago for 3 and PW, but I was always wondering when
the Patriots would surface
. Apparently it's in MGPO!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
MGS3's got alot more cutscenes than I remembered! An people love ta hype how toned down they are from MGS2? I can hardly tell a difference! An for all the talk about CQC it really seems pointless since to really even do any of it ya gotta hold guys up at which point why not just shoot 'em? An having ta roll to get up ontop of things is downright dumb!

Oh well its still fun especially since I went with very cheesey difficulty as always. Plus I'm playing differently this time! For like the first time ever in any of these games I'm leaving no one left alive! Since BB eventually becomes a monster (until its retconned somehow) my peaceful tranq & move on ways been dropped! Toss 'em off a bridge, shoot 'em in the head, knife 'em up, an more as the arsenal grows! I even WP Grenaded an attack dog!

MGS3s as a game is just meatier. There are really long stretches of game play without cutscenes, big larger areas that take longer to traverse, the stealth is slower and more methodical, and there's more boss battles and action sequences. and there's significantly less codec/radio chatter sequences, especially since the vast majority of radio contact is in the opening. mgs4 is even worse than mgs2, there's like 9 hours of cutscenes and 8 hours of gameplay

ref

Guys, I've been playing through the MGS series for the first time over the last couple months, completed MGS 1, 2 and 3 so far, and I'm currently on 4. (Also, in case anyone's curious about what I think of the games so far from someone who hasn't played them until 2014, MGS1 is my favorite followed very closely by MGS3, then MGS2).

Anyways, I'm finding it really hard to get through MGS4. Mechanically it's fine, but the story is really not doing anything for me. I know Metal Gear always has it's strange bits, but there has been so much in MGS4 so far. I thought the intro was great, then it started deteriorating. The whole Drebin stuff and the monkey, the Akiba stuff, Rosemary?... I mean, I'm only in Act 2 right now but it's been really silly so far.

Does it get any better? I really want to get into PW/Ground Zeroes, I want to play it after MGS4 obviously, but I'm finding it really hard to stay engaged for more than an hour each session I play.

JayEH

Yeah the problems you have with the game are the same problems others have with it as well. The story is real nonsense at times (well maybe most of the time) but it can still be a good ride on how ridiculous it is. Some of the cutscenes are real nice though! You don't really need MGS4 for PW/GZ but it's nice to play them in the release order.

But since you say this is your first time playing through the series and that your favorite Metal Gear is MGS1... I suggest you play to at least Act 4... I'll leave it at that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Does it get any better?

It varies from person to person but the answer is no for me personally. The story only gets much worse as you progress through the game.

I really want to get into PW/Ground Zeroes, I want to play it after MGS4 obviously, but I'm finding it really hard to stay engaged for more than an hour each session I play.

Just power through it. It's a drag but MGS4 still has some amazing moments. And some of the story will give some useful context to MGSV.

Not only does the story get worse, the game play takes a nosedive after act 2. They completely abandon the "stealth within a warzone" stuff

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Woohoo! I killed The End early so I got ta avoid an an annoying boss fight! The Ocelots took his place? And I could just avoid them? Sweet. Happened ta catch the old guys parrot by pure chance, tastes good apparently o_O Also The Ladder seemed shorted than I remembered it to be.

MGS3s as a game is just meatier. There are really long stretches of game play without cutscenes, big larger areas that take longer to traverse, the stealth is slower and more methodical, and there's more boss battles and action sequences. and there's significantly less codec/radio chatter sequences, especially since the vast majority of radio contact is in the opening.
The first 4 hours of the game say otherwise! No bosses, no real big areas, plenty of cutscene/chatter! But it does pick up after that point. A bit less forced codecs then MGS2 I suppose.

I dun own 4 so this'll be the last MG game I play this year! Outside of GZ it was a good run!

Woohoo! I killed The End early so I got ta avoid an an annoying boss fight! The Ocelots took his place? And I could just avoid them? Sweet. Happened ta catch the old guys parrot by pure chance, tastes good apparently o_O Also The Ladder seemed shorted than I remembered it to be.

You skipped the best boss fight of the series, shame on you

Jindrax

uraIYnW.png

found this on reddit :D

Sub_Level

Naaahhh its more like the most tedious one in the series! I've done it twice before an never need ta do it again!

If you think The End is tedious then you clearly haven't played the Metal Gear Ray boss fight in MGS2 on Extreme. I like the battle but it's essentially a test of endurance. You have to take down 20 Rays, all with way more health than normal!

Not only does the story get worse, the game play takes a nosedive after act 2. They completely abandon the "stealth within a warzone" stuff

Act 3's opening is an awesome stealth scenario. At the time it was pretty unique for MGS and felt more like Splinter Cell (think Pandora Tomorrow's Jerusalem level) but on replays waiting for that guy is soooooo boring.

Just finished MGS3 (also 2 and 1 for the first time too). What an amazing series.

On to Peace Walker!

Peace Walker marks a huge departure from the original trilogy. It's rated T for teen, has a comic book presentation, the story takes place in small chunks to facilitate portable play, and there is no codec but rather tapes you can listen to. The bosses are unlike most of what you faced in the 3 MGS games too. And of course PW has a huge base management mechanic. It's way different.

MNC

If you think The End is tedious then you clearly haven't played the Metal Gear Ray boss fight in MGS2 on Extreme. I like the battle but it's essentially a test of endurance. You have to take down 20 Rays, all with way more health than normal!

Act 3's opening is an awesome stealth scenario. At the time it was pretty unique for MGS and felt more like Splinter Cell (think Pandora Tomorrow's Jerusalem level) but on replays waiting for that guy is soooooo boring.

Peace Walker marks a huge departure from the original trilogy. It's rated T for teen, has a comic book presentation, the story takes place in small chunks to facilitate portable play, and there is no codec but rather tapes you can listen to. The bosses are unlike most of what you faced in the 3 MGS games too. And of course PW has a huge base management mechanic. It's way different.
Its pretty hard to change the mindset to the new style of MGS. At least, for peace walker. TPP probably has long stretches of cutscenes since it's not being limited by hardware. Still, PW needs some time to get used to.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If Big Boss joined the emotion team I guess he'd be The Hunger?

Game over! I think next time I'll need ta bump it up to Easy at least. Cause as easy as MGS2's very easy was, this game just becomes a joke with that and the EZ Gun. Ya could stand like 2 feet infront of a baddie an they just couldn't see you with that equipped. Who needs stealth camo when ya got that?! This game annoyed me a bunch by changing my equipment around due to cutscenes its like wow I don't need the M11 or w/e its called, the sonar, etc. stop re-equipping it all the time! Also everything from after the man-on-man Volgin fight up to the Boss fight sucked. Overall the games a step down or two from MGS2 but still pretty alright by me overall.

Stats!!

difficulty: very easy
play time: 14:30:44
save: 13 times
continue: 1 times <--- I continued at The Sorrow cause I'm a moron
alert phase: 16 times
humans killed: 195 people
seriously injured: 28 times
total damage: 6 life bars
life medicine used: 0 times
plants & animals captured: 25 kinds
meals eaten: 35 meals
title: tarantula

Biggest LOL from this game came from Ghost Parrot. I was not expecting that! Bravo The Sorrow! Ya summoned something that could make me laugh through whats supposed ta be a pretty terrible scene!

btw MGS, MGS3, MGS: GZ all count cutscenes as part of the play time clock. Makes it even weirder that MGS2 didn't.

Of course I haven't, I always play on very easy mode! Fighting just 3 Ray's is pretty obnoxious. And 1 Rex. And a Shagohod. A Peace Walker to. Basically what I'm saying is... I don't like The End or mech boss fights!

Jindrax

If Big Boss joined the emotion team I guess he'd be The Hunger?

Game over! I think next time I'll need ta bump it up to Easy at least. Cause as easy as MGS2's very easy was, this game just becomes a joke with that and the EZ Gun. Ya could stand like 2 feet infront of a baddie an they just couldn't see you with that equipped. Who needs stealth camo when ya got that?! This game annoyed me a bunch by changing my equipment around due to cutscenes its like wow I don't need the M11 or w/e its called, the sonar, etc. stop re-equipping it all the time! Also everything from after the man-on-man Volgin fight up to the Boss fight sucked. Overall the games a step down or two from MGS2 but still pretty alright by me overall.

Stats!!

difficulty: very easy
play time: 14:30:44
save: 13 times
continue: 1 times <--- I continued at The Sorrow cause I'm a moron
alert phase: 16 times
humans killed: 195 people
seriously injured: 28 times
total damage: 6 life bars
life medicine used: 0 times
plants & animals captured: 25 kinds
meals eaten: 35 meals
title: tarantula

Biggest LOL from this game came from Ghost Parrot. I was not expecting that! Bravo The Sorrow! Ya summoned something that could make me laugh through whats supposed ta be a pretty terrible scene!

btw MGS, MGS3, MGS: GZ all count cutscenes as part of the play time clock. Makes it even weirder that MGS2 didn't.

Of course I haven't, I always play on very easy mode! Fighting just 3 Ray's is pretty obnoxious. And 1 Rex. And a Shagohod. A Peace Walker to. Basically what I'm saying is... I don't like The End or mech boss fights!

You're playing the game on very EZ? xD You mas as well just watch the cutscenes on youtube because you're not even playing anything xD. You can just run through the entire game. How the hell did it take you 14 hours xD

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
You're playing the game on very EZ? xD You mas as well just watch the cutscenes on youtube because you're not even playing anything xD. You can just run through the entire game. How the hell did it take you 14 hours xD
Cutscenes, codecs, an everything else count towards the timer. The cutscenes & "mandatory" codecs prolly fills in a few hours themselves. Plus I listened to lotsa optional codecs, experimented with various equipment, blindly ran around in circles in that pitch black cave for awhile, searched every corner for items/camo/etc, ...an killed 195 peeps. That stuff adds up!

Chinbo37

Well I made it to Metal Gear (Playing Metal Gear Solid) and he is fucking tough. I can beat his first form but never have enough life and rations to beat his second form. I need more practice i guess. Yes I am using the Body Armor :(

Mature

Even if it removes the challenge, you're still experiencing the game and enjoying it. And I take a long time whenever I run through any of the MGS games (barring speeding through for a rank) and it has nothing to do with any sort of pressing difficulty.

Sub_Level

Well I made it to Metal Gear (Playing Metal Gear Solid) and he is fucking tough. I can beat his first form but never have enough life and rations to beat his second form. I need more practice i guess. Yes I am using the Body Armor :(

Just stay under the cockpit. It's a fun way to fight him. Your radar tells you where his feet are so you don't get stomped. You will be moving around a lot but he consistently stops. That's when you perform a tactical reload and fire your stinger up at him.

Chinbo37

Just stay under the cockpit. It's a fun way to fight him. Your radar tells you where his feet are so you don't get stomped. You will be moving around a lot but he consistently stops. That's when you perform a tactical reload and fire your stinger up at him.

Ya but he has that crazy lazer

Sub_Level

Ya but he has that crazy lazer

You will dodge it every time by simply staying directly under him. The hitbox is very forgiving on that laser, you can run under it. Also he telegraphs it for days. REX does this kind of squatting animation.

I finished MGS2 and MGS3 in the past month, and enjoyed both of them. I see why MGS2 is so divisive, but I enjoyed it (and the Raiden bait and switch) all the same)

But for some reason, I'm just not feeling MGS4 too much. It's not the story weirdness (If I can handle the plot of Kingdom Hearts post KH1, I can certainly handle anything), but I just haven't been having fun playing through it. I dunno if it's the increased focus on combat over stealth or what, but it just hasn't been hooking me the same way the first three games have. I think I might just put it down for and skip ahead to Peace Walker HD.

Sub_Level

Chaff grenades?

Only works for the first part of the fight when REX has the radar.

I finished MGS2 and MGS3 in the past month, and enjoyed both of them. I see why MGS2 is so divisive, but I enjoyed it (and the Raiden bait and switch) all the same)

But for some reason, I'm just not feeling MGS4 too much. It's not the story weirdness (If I can handle the plot of Kingdom Hearts post KH1, I can certainly handle anything), but I just haven't been having fun playing through it. I dunno if it's the increased focus on combat over stealth or what, but it just hasn't been hooking me the same way the first three games have. I think I might just put it down for and skip ahead to Peace Walker HD.

I don't like MGS4 either but you should force yourself and play through it. There are some really cool moments. It has ~7 hours of cutscenes but the game itself is not that long at all.

Holykael1

Banned
Not everyone hates it. I'd say more people like it than hate it tbh. Those who don't like it are more prone to saying it and critiquing on the internet as opposed to a random person that played the game, loved it and moved on.

It was also Gaf's game of the year twice and it was extremely well received commercially and critically.
In the big scheme of things, people who dislike it are in the minority.

Ragav

Banned
difficulty:very easy

Now i know why you didn't find CQC significant :). Game gives you infinite tranq. ammos and most importantly you don't even have to get a headshot to put someone to sleep.
Hard+ is the best way to experience any metal gear

TheBoss1

ok srsly, why does everyone hate MGS4?
It does feel like the odd one out of the bunch with PW coming in a close 2nd. I don't get too hard on PW since it was designed as a portable game.

GZ not only feels like a return to form - it surpasses MGS1-3 in terms of gameplay by far. Can't wait for TPP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom