• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holykael1

Banned
Not sure I would recommend playing it on a PSP or Vita, especially for your first time with the game, I'd imagine you'll find the controls mixed with the cameras a little awkward. Graphics aren't great (especially when it comes to the pixelated character faces) but it actually has held up really well apart from that in my opinion. I went back to it tons of times last gen and never had any issues with it.

The game is very playable on PSP, played it myself there. Looks better than the blurry vomit on PS3..
Best solution is ePSXe anyway to smooth dem graphics and high res.

JayEH

More breaking news from Twitter.

"This week's Kojima Station will start at 9pm(6/5) in Japan time, it is pre-E3 special, planning to show just a little bit of the game."

-@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

TopGun

Banned

"This week's Kojima Station will start at 9pm(6/5) in Japan time, it is pre-E3 special, planning to show just a little bit of the game."

-@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

AAAAAAWWWWW YYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH!

Hopefully it's some gameplay while the E3 trailer covers the story.
I want to see more of what a true open world game like TPP will be like. GZ was limited to the base, what about a huge landscape?

Batzi

Banned

-@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN
Can't wait! Most probably it's going to be a gameplay snippet.

-@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

HYPE THAT KILLS.

WON'T YOU SHOW IT TO ME.

LET THE VIDEO PLAY, AND MAKE ME BELIEVE.

Guys I'm so hyped guys.

Guys.

I NEEEEED it.

Renpatsu

Does anyone here know if Ashley Wood has done any artwork of Raiden from MGS2 (aside from the comics)? And if so where I could find high quality versions?

I'm trying to make a custom cover for the HD collection, but struggling to find a viable Raiden illustration by him.

Many thanks if you can help.

JayEH

Does anyone here know if Ashley Wood has done any artwork of Raiden from MGS2 (aside from the comics)? And if so where I could find high quality versions?

I'm trying to make a custom cover for the HD collection, but struggling to find a viable Raiden illustration by him.

Many thanks if you can help.

As far as I know, he hasn't done any work with him at all? But don't hold me to that. Hope you find some though really liked his work in PW.

Renpatsu

Well I didn't find much (read: Any) so I settled for some of the art from the MGS comics that he did. Even then there isn't much great art or poses of Raiden (in contrast Snake gets all the best illustrations).

I'm still not sure it works.

nns3d

Well I didn't find much (read: Any) so I settled for some of the art from the MGS comics that he did. Even then there isn't much great art or poses of Raiden (in contrast Snake gets all the best illustrations).

I'm still not sure it works.

I think the illustrations work, but I'm not too big on the font that you used for the title.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You guys know any good youtube playthroughs (w/o commentary, or very little) of the older games?

I forgot almost everything from previous games. Ground Zeros is confusing the shit out of me when I'm listening to the tapes.

JayEH

I just played through the Japanese copy of GZ that I have. Noticed some interesting things: The Japanese dialogue both adds and cuts some dialogue. Also some of the scenes are definitely cut differently. The most surprising thing I thought was that apparently none of the Japanese voice actors did facial capture since it said Kiefer Sutherland for Snake and the same for all the other characters.

You guys know any good youtube playthroughs (w/o commentary, or very little) of the older games?

I forgot almost everything from previous games. Ground Zeros is confusing the shit out of me when I'm listening to the tapes.

If your interested in just the story of the games, Kefka Production does pretty good "movie" versions of the games since he does include some gameplay as well.

Evolved1

If your interested in just the story of the games, Kefka Production does pretty good "movie" versions of the games since he does include some gameplay as well.

I will check this out today, thank you.

JayEH

Konami Station is live right now. http://www.twitch.tv/konami573ch

Edit: Sounds like TPP (at least game play) won't be at any press conferences and the gameplay isn't go to be shown to the public, only the press. It's a 30 min demo too. Crap. Maybe they'll show the trailer or something at a press conference? I don't know but if this is true this really sucks. I bet they only show the trailer during Konami's E3 thing.

valkyre

Oh my God....

30 minutes E3 gameplay demo.... BEHIND CLOSED DOORS??

FFS why Kojima?? This is so wrong in so many ways....

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
E3 poster teaser?

2014-06-0613_24_33-twgnufd.png

valkyre

I am not worried about not seeing a gameplay trailer. I just want to see the story trailer.

I dont want to see the story trailer because from the sounds of it, it looks like it is a spoilerfest trailer, atleast according to my liking.

I dont even want 30 gameplay demo, just give me 10 mins... its all I ask for. I want to see the gameplay refinements from GZ and the elements that were missing from gz.

Guddatadd

Neo Member
Since we're doing ratings

MGS3>MGS>MGS2>MGS4>MGSPW>MGSPO

I dont know why people dont like Peace Walker or Portable ops, Those games were amazing.

Btw I subbed

Evolved1

Recently picked up the HD trilogy, MGS1 on PSN and MGS4 (again).

If playing for the story... what order is best?

Chronological? Or just order of release?

Palpable

The Famitsu promo art for Ground Zeroes is awesome. So awesome, that I ended up buying a folder that had the image on it from Japan just so I could scan it because the only image of it online is very low resolution. No better satisfaction than sharing it with MGS fans. Enjoy.

JayEH

Recently picked up the HD trilogy, MGS1 on PSN and MGS4 (again).

If playing for the story... what order is best?

Chronological? Or just order of release?

Yeah order of release is always best.

The Famitsu promo art for Ground Zeroes is awesome. So awesome, that I ended up buying a folder that had the image on it from Japan just so I could scan it because the only image of it online is very low resolution. No better satisfaction than sharing it with MGS fans. Enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks. I hope TPP's boxart is a throwback to the old Shinkawa box art they used to have. If it's another freakin close up of Snake...

Chinbo37

Give it up to Neogaf to have a thread for everything gaming :)

I just started playing Metal Gear Solid 1. I previously played the NES game (never beat it), and I had Metal Gear Solid for my playstation but I also never beat it, made it about half way through back when it came out, never touched another game since then.

I grabbed Metal Gear Solid Legacy for my PS3, however, when I went to redeem my download code for Metal Gear Solid for PSN, it said the code was not valid. I bought the game new so I was a bit confused. After i did some research it appears that the codes are region locked by country. I bought the game in the UK but I live and my PSN is registered in a different country. Well that really pissed me off so I fired up epsxe for the first time and got the game running pretty well after some trial and error. Gotta love comfy couch gaming with a 360 controller. I got rumble working by installing the rumble drivers as well!

So far the game is cool, as I remembered but that was a long time ago. I am looking forward to finishing this game and then 2 through 4 are physically on the Legacy discs so I should be ok there.

My basic questions:

- Do I need to play any of the spin off games (Game Boy, PSP?)
- Any value to playing Twin Snakes?
- I plan on playing Revengance as my PC should run it well so no worries there
- Has anyone actually gone back to play the original Metal Gear 1 and 2?

JayEH

I just started playing Metal Gear Solid 1. I previously played the NES game (never beat it), and I had Metal Gear Solid for my playstation but I also never beat it, made it about half way through back when it came out, never touched another game since then.

I grabbed Metal Gear Solid Legacy for my PS3, however, when I went to redeem my download code for Metal Gear Solid for PSN, it said the code was not valid. I bought the game new so I was a bit confused. After i did some research it appears that the codes are region locked by country. I bought the game in the UK but I live and my PSN is registered in a different country. Well that really pissed me off so I fired up epsxe for the first time and got the game running pretty well after some trial and error. Gotta love comfy couch gaming with a 360 controller. I got rumble working by installing the rumble drivers as well!

So far the game is cool, as I remembered but that was a long time ago. I am looking forward to finishing this game and then 2 through 4 are physically on the Legacy discs so I should be ok there.

My basic questions:

• You don't need to play the Game Boy game.
  • Portable Ops is considered canon by Kojima but with a caveat. He didn't write or direct that game so he doesn't pay attention to it much, so I wouldn't play it.
  • Peace Walker is definitely canon and worth a play especially since MGSV is set directly after the event of Peace Walker.
  • As far as the PSP card games, I haven't played them.
  • Haven't played the Twin Snakes either.
  • As far as I know, Revengeance is fine on PC
  • I haven't played MG1 or 2 but I know some people on this thread have recently.

I know it been discussed to death, but needed to get it off my chest. Just started ground zereos and listening to the pre mission tapes...jack bauer is shockingly bad, it's really not the same with the voice change :(

Many people (including myself) disagree with you there but to each their own. I think you just need to view Kiefer Sutherland as the voice of Big Boss not Snake. At least that's how I'm dealing with it.

I know it been discussed to death, but needed to get it off my chest. Just started ground zereos and listening to the pre mission tapes...jack bauer is shockingly bad, it's really not the same with the voice change :(

Protome

My basic questions:

- No, although both the Ac!d games and the GB game are pretty cool. Not essential at all though.

- Not if you're already playing MGS. It's just a not quite as good version of that with flashy graphics.

- Yes, they're both included in MGS3 Subsistence/the MGS HD collection and hold up really well (2 more than 1.) Worth playing if you're into older games.

Also, you can make a new PSN account in a different region, redeem the codes, download them and then still play on your regular account. On PS3 anyway, Vita sucks for that.

Chinbo37

Also, you can make a new PSN account in a different region, redeem the codes, download them and then still play on your regular account. On PS3 anyway, Vita sucks for that.

Thanks for your help. I was pretty frustrated that I bought a PAL game to run on my PAL PS3 and I live in a PAL country and it still wouldnt work. I just said fuck it and got it running on epsxe and it was a good learning experience.

R-User!

Anybody ever tranq a guard in a watch tower and crawl into them repeatedly? I got a guard to fall asleep standing up, lol!

Tizoc

Could someone post a larger ver. of this image please?
tumblr_n6rsf2cb291qb0wv3o4_250.gif

I forgot Ocelot really enjoyed himself throughout MGS4.

Protag

Banned

He's really not, this whole thing was overblown anyway.

Jindrax

Question has Master Miller become blind or not? Because in the red band trailer it looks like they burned or cut his eyes out. But in the latest trailer he looks as though he can see xD.

And another thing... the dude is missing an arm and a leg. And isn't that great in combat. But he's supposed to be the guy who trains Solid Snake??? xD

Question has Master Miller become blind or not? Because in the red band trailer it looks like they burned or cut his eyes out. But in the latest trailer he looks as though he can see xD.

And another thing... the dude is missing an arm and a leg. And isn't that great in combat. But he's supposed to be the guy who trains Solid Snake??? xD

I don't think he's blind, probably just excessive sun exposure or something from being in the desert.

Haha yeah, he probably gets robo-limbs or something.

Daria

So this Friday I should have the MGS HD collection in hand (360), I never played them before. Is it necessary to play through MGS1 to follow the whole story? Or would it be ok to just start with Snake Eater and move on from there?

I'm mostly just looking for a YouTube video of some sort that will summarize MGS1 quickly for me to catch up since I don't know where my PS1 is right now. I'll even watch all the cutscenes if I'll be better off throughout them all.

So this Friday I should have the MGS HD collection in hand (360), I never played them before. Is it necessary to play through MGS1 to follow the whole story? Or would it be ok to just start with Snake Eater and move on from there?

I'm mostly just looking for a YouTube video of some sort that will summarize MGS1 quickly for me to catch up since I don't know where my PS1 is right now. I'll even watch all the cutscenes if I'll be better off throughout them all.

you can watch the cutscenes on youtube or i'm sure there are plenty of wiki's on the web that can help you get up to speed.

the typical recommendation is to play them in the order they were made. not in the order of the timeline. from a story perspective, you could definitely play them in timeline order and most things would make sense, though you'd definitely miss a bunch of easter eggs in MGS3/Peace Walker. either way, i'd suggest you do it this way (MGS2 --> MGS3 --> Peace Walker --> Ground Zeroes) in the order they were made because of how the gameplay and controls evolve. there is definitely a learning curve with MGS2 and 3 (2 particularly because the camera) because the controls don't follow modern conventions at all. a lot of this was remedy'd in MGS4, peace walker (though that has it's own quirks because it was designed for a handheld with limited buttons), and GZ

Jindrax

If you have it by friday, watch the cutscene on youtube from mgs1.
I advise you to watch the GC remake (please don't shoot me GAF) since they do look better, you could kick back and watch it like a movie... a 5hour long movie xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom