• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindrax

I love MGS4 the only thing I don't like about it is that you don't get to play enough...
And they kept doing splitscreen cutscenes or game+cutscene so I couldn't watch what was going on.
Like that bit with Raiden and Vamp + Snake and Gecko

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Couple questions:
Do dogtags in MGS2 carryover through different difficulties an add up to unlock stuff?
Am I crazy or was disabling enemy radios by shooting them supposed to be a thing in MGS3? Cause unless I was aiming at the wrong places all my hits did was further injure the guards.

Now i know why you didn't find CQC significant :). Game gives you infinite tranq. ammos and most importantly you don't even have to get a headshot to put someone to sleep.
Hard+ is the best way to experience any metal gear
Nahhh difficulty choice is unrelated to CQC being pointless. Theres only really 1 new thing ya can do here that ya can't in MGS2 an that's using guys as shield. Throat slitting is just a bloodier version of choking/neck snapping (which you can still do anyway), and you could always throw guys ever since the first MGS, so its just like they gave a fancy name to all them non-shooty moves ya could already do. CQC is real fancy in cutscenes but in gameplay if you're gonna take the time/risk to hold someone up, why would ya do anything but knock 'em out?

Jindrax

Couple questions:
Do dogtags in MGS2 carryover through different difficulties an add up to unlock stuff?
Am I crazy or was disabling enemy radios by shooting them supposed to be a thing in MGS3? Cause unless I was aiming at the wrong places all my hits did was further injure the guards.

Yeah dogtags carry over. You actually HAVE to complete on like 2-3 difficulties to unlock anything.

And the radio is on their chest in MGS3. Look for a flashing red light.

MNC

When MGS3 came out, did people have any idea Snake was going to be THE big boss? Or was it a big reveal at the end?

Betty

Banned
When MGS3 came out, did people have any idea Snake was going to be THE big boss? Or was it a big reveal at the end?

People knew before hand. The box art had him with an eyepatch, it was set way too far back to be Solid Snake, and everyone was more or less certain we were playing as a pre Big Boss Snake.

Jindrax

No it was everywhere that you were playing as big boss.
I think even one if the first reveal trailers even says so. They also made him look a bit different in some of the first videos.

What was a big revalation though was when he gets the title. I was like OHHHHH he defeats the boss the he is BIG Boss xD.

Rojo

It was known, but some people thought that it was another switcharo and we were actually solid snake reliving the events in a vr simulator kinda like assassin's creed.

JayEH

It was known, but some people thought that it was another switcharo and we were actually solid snake reliving the events in a vr simulator kinda like assassin's creed.

Very similar to now where everyone thinks you'll play as Solid Snake in an epilogue lol.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
During the MGS3 trailers one point of interest was how Snake had the bandana on at some points but not others.

Possibility of two different characters. MGS3 trailers ended up spoiling a lot though, including the Boss' defection on the wooden bridge and the flower arena where you fight her.

So, just finished MGS 2, 3, and 4. Need to play Peacewalker.

I remember reading about MG and MG2, but I'm still a little confused...

So Big Boss leaves USA, starts his own military company (somehow), and then becomes a bad guy...how again? Sorry, just overwhelmed from playing the series non-stop. I'd prefer no Ground Zeroes spoilers, please.

Also, what exactly is GZ/Phantom Pain going to be based on? I know it's to do with Big Boss in Afghanistan, but can someone explain the companies/Foxhound and all that?

Also, in MGS4, how did Big Boss's body get replaced by Solidus'? Was it after Raiden killed him?

And, one thing that really annoys me, WHY DOESN'T LIQUID EVER KILL SNAKE?? He, and many others literally had plenty of chances to put a bullet in the guy's head. Is it some kind of honor/code or something? It was really annoying. Then there's the over the top nonsense with Meryl and Johnny killing all those grunts in the end, and Raiden getting closed in on by the same grunts, who for whatever reason never kill him.

I'm sure I'm beating a deadhorse, but I'm just late to the party.

So yeah, any context for Ground Zero/Phantom Pain, keeping in mind how much I've played?

JayEH

Liquid Ocelot was actually Ocelot the entire time. Ocelot tricked the Patriots into thinking that Liquid completely took over him. His goal the entire game was to take down the Patriots.

The story on how Big Boss becomes a bad guy is explored mostly in TPP. But from what we know from other MG games is that he leaves the US, creates Outer Heaven in order to combat Zero (he's pissed that he got cloned and some other stuff), then tricks Zero into thinking he's back on his side and becomes the commander of Foxhound. Foxhound is the successor to FOX (the unit you were in MGS3).Then the events of MG1 occur.

Big Boss establishes Miltaries Sans Frontieres (Military Without Borders), the world's first PMC, in PW (not a spoiler it's literally the first thing showed in the game.) GZ is the prologue to TPP. Stuff happens in that game. TPP is set 9 years after GZ and tells the story of how Big Boss builds up Outer Heaven. In TPP he establishes Diamond Dogs which is the successor to MSF.

Like I said, we'll have to wait until TPP comes out for all the specific details though on how he became the villain of the first two games. Sorry, I'm probably making it seem like a convoluted mess :p
(Which it is to an extent)

Ok, I think I'm done. Others can correct/add to what I've said.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yeah dogtags carry over. You actually HAVE to complete on like 2-3 difficulties to unlock anything.

And the radio is on their chest in MGS3. Look for a flashing red light.
Okies I'll totally bump MGS2 up to "easy" difficulty the next time! And hey the radio thing is a thing, but it never works for me! I tranq a guy and shoot his radio with a non-tranq gun but the radio remain and the guy gets hurt >.<

So yeah, any context for Ground Zero/Phantom Pain, keeping in mind how much I've played?
The context is the same as MGS3, PO, and PW. Big Boss gets used & screwed over. Copy/Paste, repeat over the course of 4... soon 5 games & beyond.

Jindrax

And, one thing that really annoys me, WHY DOESN'T LIQUID EVER KILL SNAKE?? He, and many others literally had plenty of chances to put a bullet in the guy's head. Is it some kind of honor/code or something? It was really annoying. Then there's the over the top nonsense with Meryl and Johnny killing all those grunts in the end, and Raiden getting closed in on by the same grunts, who for whatever reason never kill him.

Ok.

Liquid Ocelot pretend to be Liquid to get the attention of the Patriots so they would send Snake to kill him. Why doesn't Ocelot just be Ocelot? Because he's actually a patriot himself and they would figure his plan to take them out if he just acted on his own. So he does the whole liquid thing to throw them of course. From here on and I'll just call Ocelot Liquid to avoid confusion. So Snake gets sent in "I'm not a hero...".
He goes after Liquid, but Liquid needs snake to get rid of the AI's. So he's not going to kill him. Every time he captures him he tells him about is SUPER EVIL MASTER PLAN so Snake tries and stop him and eventually does what he can't. Destroy the AI's. The Patriots don't stop Snake because they need him to kill Liquid but they didn't think that he could destroy the AI's or even knew about them.

So your questions at this point are likely:

1. Why didn't Ocelot pretend to be liquid, then kill the AI's himself since he can throw them of course by pretending to be Liquid. Most likely, he has no idea how to do it himself. He's counting on the fact that Snake and his team would find a way if he gave them enough info. In the end it was Sunny who figured it out.

2. Why didn't they just all work together instead of all this elaborate crap? Because then the patriots would just take them all out. Since Snake was sent the kill Liquid, the patriots were actually helping him. Like sending Drebin, Rat patrol 01 etc...

3. Why does liquid fight snake for the last time hand to hand instead of shooting him in the face and live on an island for the rest of his days and chill? At this point he's reverting back to Ocelot. How many times does he get his ass kicked by Big Boss in MGS3 but the dude comes back for me? Snake beat him in MGS1. He wanted one last rematch. Probably didn't know about the foxdie that was going to kill him :p.

I think that covers it. If you have more questions ask away.

Ragav

Banned
Nahhh difficulty choice is unrelated to CQC being pointless. Theres only really 1 new thing ya can do here that ya can't in MGS2 an that's using guys as shield. Throat slitting is just a bloodier version of choking/neck snapping (which you can still do anyway), and you could always throw guys ever since the first MGS, so its just like they gave a fancy name to all them non-shooty moves ya could already do. CQC is real fancy in cutscenes but in gameplay if you're gonna take the time/risk to hold someone up, why would ya do anything but knock 'em out?

Yes, CQC is not something that is completely new to MGS, its a refined version of CQB with more options but its lot more useful in MGS3 than in MGS2.
1. Now you can go for a quick knock out (not possible in other MGS unless u are playing on Very easy) and stun some bosses(essential at higher diff. setting).
2. Enemies will recover after few seconds when you knocking them out but they stay on the ground disarmed for ever when you hold them, so there is a difference.
3. You can interrogate enemies to get some valuable information like terrain details, secret camo and items, alert cancel code , traps, ammo and food supplies etc
4. Chocking has a purpose too, even though its lot harder to perform than instant knock out enemies stay on the ground for a longer period of time.

MGS 3 CQC has lot of depth and single playthrough on easy is not enough to understand the significance of CQC. Hey, i didn't understand it as well when i first played it.

You have to play the game on hard+ diff to get the best exp. out of MGS games, more enemies with better stamina, only 12 rounds of tranqs, ammo are scarce, enemy drop rate is low and few more like no radar or sonar.

Nvzman

I just recently finished MGS4 for the first time, and the CQC system in that game sucks. 3 and GZ did it so much better.

Chinbo37

Got Rex! THanks for your help.

So ya, just beat my first MG game, I feel pretty good. I started to play the VR missions and I am almost done, but I understand tehre is a complete game of just VR missions correct? I think Ill play that next but in between I am going to play Final Fantasy VIII.

Ill be back when playing VR Missions and MGS2!

mfiuza

Hello Guys, I just recently got the Legacy Collection, and I got 1 simple question that I didnt find any answer yet.

The ending conversation after the credits on Metal Gear Solid: My version (the ps1 version) is the 'smaller' version (no mention on Solidus and inferior genes). On what version does that conversation appeared? Twin Snakes? Or am I missing something in my gameplay to unlock the 'true' conversation (maybe pass the torture bit) ?

Betty

Banned
Hello Guys, I just recently got the Legacy Collection, and I got 1 simple question that I didnt find any answer yet.

The ending conversation after the credits on Metal Gear Solid: My version (the ps1 version) is the 'smaller' version (no mention on Solidus and inferior genes). On what version does that conversation appeared? Twin Snakes? Or am I missing something in my gameplay to unlock the 'true' conversation (maybe pass the torture bit) ?

Yes, you have to pass the torture to get not only an alternate ending, but the extra dialogue during the after credits phonecall.

In Twin Snakes, the extra dialogue appears no matter which ending you get.

Palpable

This my car & I. Kojima retweeted it a few months ago.

BgvvsvrCIAAInGE.jpg

Sub_Level

Got Rex! THanks for your help.

So ya, just beat my first MG game, I feel pretty good. I started to play the VR missions and I am almost done, but I understand tehre is a complete game of just VR missions correct? I think Ill play that next but in between I am going to play Final Fantasy VIII.

Ill be back when playing VR Missions and MGS2!

Yes, there is a complete expansion pack of MGS vr missions. It's available on PS1, PC as part of "Metal Gear Solid: Integral", or in the easiest way to (legally) get it: on the Playstation 3 digital store.

The expansion is totally skippable, but there are some fun missions including some puzzle and mystery (yes, mystery) levels you can play after you have unlocked a lot of stuff. The VR missions are important to Raiden's character. But like I said, they are skippable. Don't forget MGS2 has vr missions as well!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

BgvvsvrCIAAInGE.jpg

Awesome.

but i will go even deeper than that, cut off my arm and get a prosthetic arm. That will show you kids what a hardcore MGS fan i'm.

ofc jk

Nvzman

How is the CQC in MGS3 better than MGS4? It's literally the same with more options and better.

The controls for it are far less confusing in MGS3.
For starters, MGS4's usage of it is barely explained, so I don't even know how to interrogate. Not only that but it uses the R1 button, which just feels really weird to me.

For the record: I still liked 4, I just thought 3 still had superior gameplay.

Mature

BgvvsvrCIAAInGE.jpg
Nice. I dig the license plate and frame.

For starters, MGS4's usage of it is barely explained, so I don't even know how to interrogate. Not only that but it uses the R1 button, which just feels really weird to me.

Ah. Well, if you revisit 4, you ought to go through the extensive briefing in the pause menu. It spells out everything pretty well with demonstrations and everything.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Thanks guys.

Next step; have muzzle flash burn out right eye and then have stinger fallout burn out your left eye.

and Shrapnel! I need someone who blows up something in front of me that hits me right in the head.

Sounds like a fun weekend.

Sub_Level

+ Moving around with a sniper rifle or missile launcher
+ Camoflauge automatically changing for you. Takes away the tedium but doesn't make the game easier.
+ The ability to roll and turn around on the ground.
+ The ability to use flashlights and modify various aspects of weapons instead of just SUPPRESSOR ON/OFF
+ The ability to clear corners in first-person.
+ I liked the FOOD mechanic in MGS3 but the HEAL mechanic was kind of pointless since running out of medical supplies is extremely rare. There's no penalty for using the wrong equipment on a certain condition either, you can just mindlessly cycle through equipment until you are healed. MGS4 removed this.
- MGS3's stamina system was more understandable to me than MGS4's stamina + stress system. Too many stamina and stress factors in that one for me to consider so I often just ignored it entirely.
- MGS4's insistence that the player use the handgun or m4 in certain scenes was annoying as it replaced what you had currently equipped. 5 was too low a limit for weapon equipment. MGS3's backpack system was better.

For me, MGS4 wins out in terms of mechanics.

+ Moving around with a sniper rifle or missile launcher
+ Camoflauge automatically changing for you. Takes away the tedium but doesn't make the game easier.
+ The ability to roll and turn around on the ground.
+ The ability to use flashlights and modify various aspects of weapons instead of just SUPPRESSOR ON/OFF
+ The ability to clear corners in first-person.
+ I liked the FOOD mechanic in MGS3 but the HEAL mechanic was kind of pointless since running out of medical supplies is extremely rare. There's no penalty for using the wrong equipment on a certain condition either, you can just mindlessly cycle through equipment until you are healed. MGS4 removed this.
- MGS3's stamina system was more understandable to me than MGS4's stamina + stress system. Too many stamina and stress factors in that one for me to consider so I often just ignored it entirely.
- MGS4's insistence that the player use the handgun or m4 in certain scenes was annoying as it replaced what you had currently equipped. 5 was too low a limit for weapon equipment. MGS3's backpack system was better.

For me, MGS4 wins out in terms of mechanics.

completely agree. this is a no-brainer

+ third person aiming, moving while aiming

TheBoss1

I will reclaim the "best" title once MGO3 drops. It took me a TON of time (read: months of non-stop playing) to be good and I expect the same this time.
Done boasting now LOL

TheBoss1

Err, who were you on MGO2?
Rashawn_1

I am referring to PW's online multiplayer on PS3. I never played MGO2 but I'm confident it would have been the same since the best players would most likely be hardcore MGS fans. And I'd bet those same players were playing PW multiplayer.

Palpable

Rashawn_1

I am referring to PW's online multiplayer on PS3. I never played MGO2 but I'm confident it would have been the same since the best players would most likely be hardcore MGS fans. And I'd bet those same players were playing PW multiplayer.

Oh, I didn't play that too much. I'm a hardcore MGS fan, but I would by no means call myself one of the 'best' at any of the MGO's. That's by no means modest. I was pretty damn good, sure. Some of the top guys weren't even diehard MGS fans like myself, which is disappointing, but being good at something doesn't mean you have to be an ultra fan of the material.

TheBoss1

Oh, I didn't play that too much. I'm a hardcore MGS fan, but I would by no means call myself one of the 'best' at any of the MGO's. That's by no means modest. I was pretty damn good, sure. Some of the top guys weren't even diehard MGS fans like myself, which is disappointing, but being good at something doesn't mean you have to be an ultra fan of the material.
True

What's your PSN id?

Mature

Did anyone play PW competitively? The mode seemed like it had a little bit of care put into it, but I can't imagine the lobbies ever filling up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom