• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been curious about this for...quite some time: if we're taking into account the alleged massive scope and size of MGSV, doesn't this translate into massive data usage as well? If so, does this mean the game will release on multiple discs for the Xbox 360? Either this, or the game isn't as massive as we'd presume.

Does anyone have anymore intel on this?

Skullface

I've been curious about this for...quite some time: if we're taking into account the alleged massive scope and size of MGSV, doesn't this translate into massive data usage as well? If so, does this mean the game will release on multiple discs for the Xbox 360? Either this, or the game isn't as massive as we'd presume.

Oh shit. I hadn't thought about the 360 version. It's GOT to be on multiple discs.

Rajang

Xbox360 version on multiple discs would be funny actually.

Reminds me of the Otacon codec in MGS4:

MGS4LovesBluRay.jpg

LOL

batzi i wont fall in your traps again
no staying up for anything this time

#TeamBatzi forever.

Massive areas don't necessarily require massive data (skyrim is like 4gb), but I expect it on multiple discs for the 360, they wouldn't cut the data down just to match the platform which is going to sell the worst. There will be tons of audio to fill it up.

Do we know yet exactly how online invasions will work? Is it:

a) a passive system that relies on our tactical Mother-base defenses,
b) a real-time system in which we actively engage in combat, or
c) a combination of both?

If it's more like a, I can get behind it. But a scenario like the following would be rather annoying: You get alerted mid-mission that MB is being attacked, and have to decide if I want to rush/abandon the mission to actively defend it.

Do we know yet exactly how online invasions will work? Is it:

a) a passive system that relies on our tactical Mother-base defenses,
b) a real-time system in which we actively engage in combat, or
c) a combination of both?

If it's more like a, I can get behind it. But a scenario like the following would be rather annoying: You get alerted mid-mission that MB is being attacked, and have to decide if I want to rush/abandon the mission to actively defend it.

I think it's point b, this was teased at the end of both the E3 and the Gamescom gameplay trailers. And I believe to remeber that it was said that you'll be able to fight the invaders. If you're on a mission you'll have to rely on your defenses.

Skullface

They said it's coming very soon last month. Must be PS event or else it's going to be March which is not "very soon" or "soon". Don't you agree?

Next milestone, February 13th.

t1423857600z1.png

Excuse me if I'm behind on this, but is Kojima even confirmed to be attending this event?

Batzi

Banned
Excuse me if I'm behind on this, but is Kojima even confirmed to be attending this event?

He has been invited to every PS private/public event so yes most likely he was invited. If he doesn't go it's safe to say that no info will be revealed at that event and that GDC is our last hope.

Nope. But that ain't gonna stop Batzi from saying he is!

I seriously would not expect anything until GDC, but I will get sucked into the hype again in just over ten days, so why not?

I think think it is GDC for release date

He has been invited to every PS private/public event so yes most likely he was invited. If he doesn't go it's safe to say that no info will be revealed at that event and that GDC is our last hope.

These. But PAX East would be our last hope. GDC is where TPP became MGSV:TPP, and PAX East is where it all started - with the GZ reveal in 2012.

Batzi

Banned
I think think it is GDC for release date

It's weird that they even showed a trailer back at GDC 2013. I guess they had to since they were going to cover development on the FOX Engine right after it and it wasn't yet confirmed that TPP and GZ were one and the same game. But that was an exception and I still find it unfitting to announce a release date at a game developers' conference. A PS event is more appropriate for this kind of announcement.

Flashbacks with Hayter BB? That's...gonna be awkward.

If they ever had an obligation to reuse Hayter's lines again it would have been in that Deja Vu mission. Instead they got Kiefer to rerecord those iconic lines from the first game, so I highly doubt we'll hear Hayter's Naked Snake lines in flashbacks.

Also, don't forget that GZ occurs only a few months after Peace Walker, you can't even spin it to seem like his voice ever evolved into Sutherland's that quickly so it's more likely in the context of GZ/TPP his voice was never supposed to have changed in any way. That would mean Hayter's portrayal of Big Boss no longer exists in the context of MGSV, unlike where you can say another actor portraying a younger version of a character in a preceding tv show/film is still valid and can appear again.

wilsonda

I think it's point b, this was teased at the end of both the E3 and the Gamescom gameplay trailers. And I believe to remeber that it was said that you'll be able to fight the invaders. If you're on a mission you'll have to rely on your defenses.

I like option b more... you can choose to let your defenses handle it or you can rush back... imagine quickly dropping down smoke to be picked up in the middle of the battlefield to return to your base... I could only see it getting annoying if it happens all the time or if it interrupts story cutscenes

I like option b more... you can choose to let your defenses handle it or you can rush back... imagine quickly dropping down smoke to be picked up in the middle of the battlefield to return to your base... I could only see it getting annoying if it happens all the time or if it interrupts story cutscenes

Right, people seem to forget the traps you can set up on your base!

I actually hope for some original material from the flashbacks. Covering the things people are confused about between MGS3 and MGS:pW that are needed now like how Les Enfant Terribles happened and the foundation of the Patriots and so forth.

Some of this will certainly need to be revisited in some form to account for how Skull Face
knows Big Boss and Zero
and I'd rather it wasn't hours of exposition like the Eva and
Big Boss
scenes in 4 this time lol

Massive areas don't necessarily require massive data (skyrim is like 4gb), but I expect it on multiple discs for the 360, they wouldn't cut the data down just to match the platform which is going to sell the worst. There will be tons of audio to fill it up.

But how does one implement multiple discs for an open world game? How has that worked in recent history? One disc per area? I'm just not understanding how this method would work for a game that claims to have seamless transitions from one location to the next.

I actually hope for some original material from the flashbacks. Covering the things people are confused about between MGS3 and MGS:pW that are needed now like how Les Enfant Terribles happened and the foundation of the Patriots and so forth.

Some of this will certainly need to be revisited in some form to account for how Skull Face
knows Big Boss and Zero
and I'd rather it wasn't hours of exposition like the Eva and
Big Boss
scenes in 4 this time lol
at least some of it is probably original, since i remember seeing Lori Alan (The Boss VA) saying she was doing some stuff for PP.
EDIT: here:

They said it's coming very soon last month. Must be PS event or else it's going to be March which is not "very soon" or "soon". Don't you agree?

Next milestone, February 13th.

t1423857600z1.png

it's my understanding that this is the private ps event in new york that the mvps received invites to. but there's also destination playstation in arizona later in the month. so that would be 4 possible events for new mgs info and/or release date

February 13th -- Private PS Event with celebs and MVPs in NYC
Late February -- Destination Playstation in Scottsdale, AZ
March 2-6 -- GDC
March 6-8 -- PAX East

Skullface

it's my understanding that this is the private ps event in new york that the mvps received invites to. but there's also destination playstation in arizona later in the month. so that would be 4 possible events for new mgs info and/or release date

February 13th -- Private PS Event with celebs and MVPs in NYC
Late February -- Destination Playstation in Scottsdale, AZ
March 2-6 -- GDC
March 6-8 -- PAX East

E3 confirmed

But how does one implement multiple discs for an open world game? How has that worked in recent history? One disc per area? I'm just not understanding how this method would work for a game that claims to have seamless transitions from one location to the next.

Recent history shows that GTA V used 2 discs for Xbox 360. One for installation and one for play. Games these days install anyway, so that will be the likely scenario

Zambatoh

In the pre-HDD days, the world, level, or common data would be copied across each disk.
However the unique data that is only used once or twice would be stored on the individual disks.

There were exceptions of course, like Legend of Dragoon, where the entire world would be broken up into segments unique to each disk.
In recent memory, FF13 did the same thing, which is probably why it's a giant hallway the entire way through.

OK, guys, I've got some hard-hitting questions for Outer GAF.

1. Will we see a emblem-based ranking system make a return ala MGS4/MGSPW?
2. How will you play the game when you play through for the first time?
3. What maps do you expect to make a return in Metal Gear Online 3?

I never played MGO before, so I'll just answer your second question.

I normally go the non-lethal way when I play MGS games. In my first playthrough, if shit is going to go down I might lose my temper, get nervous and kill some dudes. I'll definitely use lethal weapons in MGSV since I think that this is what Big Boss would do. I mean after he's gone through all this crap and he's suffering so he won't be like "oh it's bad to kill people". So I'll only tranq enemies I want to fulton to my base.

Zambatoh

1. Unknown. But it is a series tradition, so I see no reason to drop. Besides if PW can have it, why not MGSV?

2. Given how my first walkthrough of each mission went in GZ, I will probably just end up shooting everybody in the leg or torso, while approaching to knock them out and avoid alarms and unnecessary deaths.
But who am I kidding? I'm probably just going to improv as I go. Gotta try everything at least once right?

3. I don't expect any of the old maps to come back.

1. I think this will happen.
2. I will play through the story (offline mode) and see if I can survive by playing through it in the way I like.Then I'll try some MGO3.
3. I'm not familiar with this, but it'd be cool to see some nostalgic maps, like Shadow Moses, Grozny Grad, etc.

Vally

1. Yep, I think we will
2. Hard mode, no reflex, maybe without markers or any other HUD elements (but that's a big maybe). I'll try to play stealthily but if the enemy finds me I'm not gonna bother restarting from the last checkpoint; if I screw up and have to kill 50 dudes and score an E rank to finish the mission without getting a game over then so be it
3. Haven't played the other MGOs so no idea

Rajang

1. I think it's going to be like PW.
2. I will take my time, approach everything slowly, always go for no alerts/no kills. If I get alerted I'll always restart. And always spy on enemy sentries for clues about the story and what's going on in and around their base. And no reflex mode bullshit.
3. I dont think there will be any returning maps.

Great stuff so far, guys! Thanks for your answers. I guess I should go ahead and give you mine while we're at it.

1. Yes. The ranking system will resemble Peace Walker's - using every stat in the game to judge you, whether it be kills, alerts, particular weapon usage, and everything in between. Mission-by-mission ranking will also return (as seen in Ground Zeroes and TPP gameplay demonstrations).
2. Normal. No Reflex Mode. Will experiment with minimal HUD. I have been practicing this in Ground Zeroes.
3. I expect many maps to make a return. Most likely, MGO classics such as Urban Ultimatum and Coppertown Conflict, and fan favorite series-based maps like Groznyj Grad. Silo Sunset is also a good candidate for an MGO3 appearance. I think they'll try to package in as many maps as they possibly can, but should we see expansions, I think it's safe to say that more classics are a lock for return.

1. Hopefully the mgs4 system returns. I need that big boss ranking.
2. On the highest difficulty with reflex off, and of course explore every piece of geometry.
3. Never played MGO, but i am excited to give this a go.

1. I hope so, but if not I'm curious to what they'll implement. No biggie for me.
2. Normal for me. I like my first go to be more relaxed and I'll definitely be taking my time and experimenting with any given mission multiple times. Replaying missions just to see how I can poke at the AI. Afterwards, I'll go for it on Hard
3. I really want the shopping mall and mansion level, or at least something similar. Feel like there's only so many desert/broken fortresses I can take.

sasliquid

I'll admit to not playing (or remembering) a lot of mgo so I'll stick to question 2.

2. Normal difficulty, I don't want to be to stressed and want to experience the story. Between uni and work I ain't got time for a lot of patience. However I will restart missions a few times if I think I could have not got caught and kill as few people as possible, hopefully I'll want to do a perfect replay though.

I finish the OG metal gear for the first time the other day. What's MG2 like? How much longer/harder/better is it? I think it's the only canon game I've never finished

Great stuff so far, guys! Thanks for your answers. I guess I should go ahead and give you mine while we're at it.

2. Normal. No Reflex Mode. Will experiment with minimal HUD. I have been practicing this in Ground Zeroes.

Will you fulton as much as you can, including enemy soldiers, to make Diamond Dogs massive? Or will you only recruit POWs and the occasional high-rank soldier and keep Diamond Dogs strong but small?

Loving these responses!

I finish the OG metal gear for the first time the other day. What's MG2 like? How much longer/harder/better is it? I think it's the only canon game I've never finished

It's quite an impressive leap from the original. It's pretty much a 2D version of Metal Gear Solid. I find the original a bit harder to play, but Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is a heck of a lot easier to get into if you ask me!

Will you fulton as much as you can, including enemy soldiers, to make Diamond Dogs massive? Or will you only recruit POWs and the occasional high-rank soldier and keep Diamond Dogs strong but small?

Good point! I should have mentioned that. I plan to use the Fulton Recovery System on anything I see. It's one of the reasons I want to do my best to avoid kills. If DD and Quiet can die, as Hideo stated they can, then I'm afraid if I kill a guard early on in the game, I may not ever be able to recruit them again! But there will be plenty of guards, so I suppose it isn't all that big a deal. I want to make Diamond Dogs as big as I possibly can. Watching the gamescom footage and seeing parts of the opposing player's Mother Base way off into the distance makes me so excited to make my Mother Base like a small country! What about you?

Good point! I should have mentioned that. I plan to use the Fulton Recovery System on anything I see. It's one of the reasons I want to do my best to avoid kills. If DD and Quiet can die, as Hideo stated they can, then I'm afraid if I kill a guard early on in the game, I may not ever be able to recruit them again! But there will be plenty of guards, so I suppose it isn't all that big a deal. I want to make Diamond Dogs as big as I possibly can. Watching the gamescom footage and seeing parts of the opposing player's Mother Base way off into the distance makes me so excited to make my Mother Base like a small country! What about you?

Well, that falls in line with how Big Boss would go about things, so nice! That's how Kaz would want it.

If the game allows this, then I'll only recruit POWs and high-rank soldiers and keep Mother Base small and strong - and only extract them via chopper and no fultoning them. This way, things will be easier and quick to manage for me, and also make the game slightly more challenging.

On my 2nd playthrough, I'll be like you. Going crazy with the fulton and making Mother Base into a superpower, strong enough to take on the foolish world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom