• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just beat it, and I really love the themes and the message of the game about how we let reality impact us in negative and positive ways. The information control/pre-SOPA stuff is perfectly suited to it.

These fucking cutscenes go on for far too long, but I will not deny that the overall story and development of Raiden and company was worth it and mattered.

But damn
that arm stuff was dumb.

TheBoss1

I just beat it, and I really love the themes and the message of the game about how we let reality impact us in negative and positive ways. The information control/pre-SOPA stuff is perfectly suited to it.

These fucking cutscenes go on for far too long, but I will not deny that the overall story and development of Raiden and company was worth it and mattered.

But damn
that arm stuff was dumb.

Awesome avatar!

Akiller

10421147_577339779049173_8435624812490496529_n.png

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

But damn
that arm stuff was dumb.

MGS2 is as close as a AAA budget game is ever going to get to being genuine Art.

Well.. He did lose his sister no? That's a pretty strong reason to cry dont you think?

yes, of course. the act of crying wasn't the issue. contrast this with the opening of the last of us or something of that nature. loss can be conveyed in powerful and effective ways without the over-the-top unintentionally hilarious melodrama.

Zambatoh

yes, of course. the act of crying wasn't the issue. contrast this with the opening of the last of us or something of that nature. loss can be conveyed in powerful and effective ways without the over-the-top unintentionally hilarious melodrama.

You're comparing a PS2 game to a PS3 game? Joel's physical reactions and emotional expressions would've been severely limited on the PS2. Technology plays a major factor in these types of scenes, whether people believe it or not.

SDJGreen

Banned
Well, I just sunk £60 ($102) on the MGS1 art book. It usually goes for around £100 ($170) but I saw a copy just put up for £60 and just thought fuck it.
I'm a student so that's a bit of a chunk - but I figured it's never usually that cheap so I might not get another chance... Plus, I'm studying Art so I can justify it to myself that it's an investment haha.

Yoji Shinkawa's art work is so incredible, so I'm sure it's worth it. I understand it's quite rare now, being as it was originally released in 1999.

J-Roderton

Looks like I'm going to have to read a wiki or something to see what happens in PW. I just don't like it enough to finish before jumping into GZ.

Jindrax

This dude posted this on redit... 100% agree

He's the best character in the series. Snake? Pfffft yeah no. Through out the series, Snake is always fooled or constantly struggling with this massive mission that is always orchestrated by a higher authority. Snake is always given the least amount of information and must unravel the story ever so slowly only to find out he's a pawn.
Ocelot is ALWAYS the inside man. He's ALWAYS in the know. He is the real hero, guiding all the Snakes (Solid, Liquid, Solidus, Naked) through their own personal strife in order to uh...(advance the plot) continue his own mission.
He's the master manipulator, and he doesn't even have boobs. He even mastered interrogation and Tortue for FUN. "I gotta be a secret agent? Easy. Oh, it's double agent time now? cake. Triple fantastic mystery agent? That's my calling yo" "Oh you need me to manipulate this genius mastermind super elite super soldier Big Boss clone into thinking he's come up with an awesome plan to destroy the Patriots? I'll do it 2 times. "
Plus he's the freaking real son of the Boss and Sorrow. Who is snake? Some wannabe. CIA agent with a huge boner for his mentor? Where did "Jack/Snake/BB" even come from before MGS3? High school graduate, joins Army Green Berets, then CIA agent and gets trained by The Boss to eventually become something special? Does he have parents? Just because he acts like The Boss is his momma doesn't mean she is. Ocelot has ALWAYS been special. He was born into freaking battle. Like no shit, guns blazing, bullets flying. Hell his PREGNANT MOTHER was still fighting and kicking ass in the trenches. Thats his bloodline. No family and raised as a secret agent super spy FROM BIRTH. 18 years old? Commander of an elite unit in GRU as a super secret agent. Can ricochet a bullet to smack a bitch in the chest at will.
He's so bad ass, even fucking liquid Snake himself wants to be apart of him. He loses an arm, but he doesn't get no weak ass prosthetic robot jerker. He uses a real flesh and blood super villian arm. Then Ocelot uses Liquid's arm to be all like, "I'm gonna use this arm to trick the WHOLE FREAKING WORLD into thinking that MAGIC EXISTS in order to become the most important person in the War economy and control all the biggest PMCs on earth." Then he does that.
Even a badass alias, Shalashaska (spelling?)
Gains a reputation for using revolvers. A civil war era type Single Action Pistol with SIX rounds in an age of freaking Exoskeletons and Rail Guns, yet still shoots mother fuckers like Yosemite Sam.
Except....he does this super gay meow thing in MGS3 to call his troops. His only flaw.

Golnei

Only flaw? The meow is Ocelot's greatest asset. MGSV will be unable to advance the medium and be recognised as true art unless we get a scene of Ocelot using the meow to awkwardly seduce Big Boss.

Brawl96

Need some help ASAP with a mission in chapter 4 in Peace Walker for the ps3. Please add me: Brawl96

I've tried this mission 1000x. Can't get through.

Toa TAK

Banned
Don't worry you're not really missing out unless you want to hear Big Boss baww some more about The Boss.
:|
It's an Oedipus Rex/Freud situation, how can you not understand his (strange) woes!?

@that Reddit write up, though, I mean, he has been the best part of each game he's in. Coincidence? I think not.

Palpable

Here are some Ground Zeroes screenshots I took from the PS4. Click the screenshot for the full 1080p version. I upload all my screenshots to this twitter account. To get the full resolution on them direct from twitter, go to the image itself (right click, view image) and then, in the address bar, change "large" to "orig" and it will display at 1080p! Enjoy!

More pictures at the twitter link.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The character models and lighting in MGSV are ace.

The environmental textures aren't very good. SOMETIMES the ground looks pretty, especially the pavement during the daytime missions, but the dirt and buildings don't look good at all. That helicopter interior is...no me gusta.

Toa TAK

Banned
That meow is cringe worthy. Whenever I show my friends or family the game, I tend to cough loudly just as he meow's in hopes it isn't noticed...
I laughed pretty hard imagining this.

I don't think I would ever play MGS around friends or family members. It's too far out there for them, and quite frankly, even me. :p

Palpable

I don't think I would ever play MGS around friends or family members. It's too far out there for them, and quite frankly, even me. :p

Actually, MGS is the single series I'm most comfortable showing my friends and family. Its action and story are amazing. Once you realize that the series is science fiction sprinkled with some fantasy and all grounded in real world events and military technology (both released and experimental) then it isn't hard to embrace it. I showed my dad and my uncle, both doctors, the ending scenes of Ground Zeroes and they thought it was fantastic. I even had my dad watch the 30 minute demo of TPP and he thought it looked very impressive. I explained to him the fulton system being used for growing you army and the cardboard box as a means of comedy to tone down the series nature of the story. He thinks it looks cool.

For whatever it's worth my mom loves MGS3 and MGS1, she's seen bits and pieces of MGS4 and she kind of liked that too.

She watched me play Ground Zeroes and was like, "Oh a new Metal Gear whatsit game? Neat."

and I was like "Yeah it kept me waiting huh."

NateDog

Actually, MGS is the single series I'm most comfortable showing my friends and family. Its action and story are amazing. Once you realize that the series is science fiction sprinkled with some fantasy and all grounded in real world events and military technology (both released and experimental) then it isn't hard to embrace it. I showed my dad and my uncle, both doctors, the ending scenes of Ground Zeroes and they thought it was fantastic. I even had my dad watch the 30 minute demo of TPP and he thought it looked very impressive. I explained to him the fulton system being used for growing you army and the cardboard box as a means of comedy to tone down the series nature of the story. He thinks it looks cool.

gCUWyYJ.png

Sub_Level

14522893003_03c18ec8af_o.jpg

"I used to hang around department store clock counters."

"This is why I dislike boorish military types."

"Laugh and grow fat!"

14522952093_87ee3fc51e_o.png

"Today is another bad day."

"You've seen the fires of hell, haven't you?"

"Since no one can kill me, I may as well kill everyone I can."

14316392957_8ce67e3164_o.png

"Human muscles are quite eloquent. They speak-out clearly what the person's next movement will be. They even tell me which way a gun will be pointed before the trigger is pulled. But your muscles -- they're different."

"This isn't sea water, you know. It's a byproduct of the microbes contained in the pool. Buoyancy is practically non-existent thanks to the high oxygen content. Once you fall in -- you don't come up!"

"Five today...or rather, six?"

14316241438_10c67a453d_o.png

"I'll let you go out in style!"

"I'm the Boss to surpass Big Boss himself!"

"Unlike an intron of history, I wanted to be an EXON!"

"We're all born with an expiration date. No one lasts forever. Life is nothing but a grace period -- for turning our genetic material into the next generation!"

Dead Cell is so fuckin' cool.

Banzai

"Human muscles are quite eloquent. They speak-out clearly what the person's next movement will be. They even tell me which way a gun will be pointed before the trigger is pulled. But your muscles -- they're different."

Hm, I forgot about that line. Did they ever explain how Raiden was different? Was he actually the only person who could defeat Vamp?

Sub_Level

Hm, I forgot about that line. Did they ever explain how Raiden was different? Was he actually the only person who could defeat Vamp?

It's a reference to the player's ability to auto-aim with the L1 button. You can defeat Vamp easily by using it to follow his movements. Characters in MGS referencing actual gameplay mechanics isn't rare, after all. Colonel told Snake to change controller ports and Ocelot told Snake to not use rapid fire on the triangle button, so why can't Vamp call out Raiden on auto-aim?

The alternative explanation is Raiden's second generation nanomachines (unlike Solid Snake's first generation nanomachines). Yeah, nanomachines are the butt of many jokes in this series, but in MGS2 Snake made it a point to point out how Raiden was "wired with nanomachines". Solidus even later confirmed that Raiden's brain was wired in some fashion ("information on the Patriots is located in your cerebral cortex in the neural network they formed").

The third explanation is Raiden's skull suit. Colonel says that the suit is designed to "maximize Raiden's bodily functions". This may have boosted his performance.

None of these explanations necessarily contradict each other, so I'm going with all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom